Shoutbox

Will the internet Die in 30 years? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Will the internet Die in 30 years? (/showthread.php?tid=82506)

Will the internet Die in 30 years? by Quantum on 03-20-2008 at 06:27 PM

The latest panic of the internet: UNIX system's crash in the year 2038. Lets hope there's an update.

Well for all 32 bit UNIX systems that are not updated. (meaning not just computers that are UNIX but web-servers too) can crash in the year 2038. A bug in UNIX type operating systems causes the system to fail after the year 2038. The problem is  processing the time and after January 19th 2038 UNIX systems cannot accept the time change. It's the 2038 super bug.

After the Y2K bug that didn't really effect any major web-servers can this be the successor that will kill the internet?

quote:
Originally posted by Wikipedia!

While no significant computer failures occurred when the clocks rolled over into 2000, preparation for the Y2K bug had a significant effect on the computer industry. The fact that countries where very little was spent on tackling the Y2K bug (like Italy and Korea) fared just as well as those who spent a lot (like the UK and the US) has generated debate on whether the absence of computer failures was the result of the preparation undertaken or whether the significance of the problem had been overstated.

There's actually a lot of machines that can go wrong and can't be replaced.

quote:
By 2038, it's likely that many of the susceptible machines will have been decommissioned before the critical date occurs. However, legacy systems and embedded systems could still be affected. These may include process control computers, space probe computers, embedded systems in traffic light controllers, navigation systems, routers, gas pumps, etc. It may not be possible to upgrade many of these systems, so they will need to be replaced.

I'm gonna get a UNIX system and change the time to just before that event i'll post back!

Article: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/the_internet...nd_in_30_years.php

What's your opinion about this?
RE: Will the internet Die in 30 years? by Jesus on 03-20-2008 at 06:43 PM

lol indeed I can't set the date to anything after 2038

but I'm sure 'they' will have found a way to solve this by then.

RE: Will the internet Die in 30 years? by absorbation on 03-20-2008 at 06:47 PM

UNIX may not even be around by then. When I think of the end of the Internet I think of it being controlled or an over burst in data. If YouTube start delivering HD video content there may be huge repercussions :P.

RE: Will the internet Die in 30 years? by WDZ on 03-20-2008 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
The latest panic of the internet: UNIX system's crash in the year 2038
|-)

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
I agree. :p
RE: Will the internet Die in 30 years? by Quantum on 03-20-2008 at 06:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
The latest panic of the internet: UNIX system's crash in the year 2038
|-)

quote:
I agree. :p

I was being sarcastic :P :lol:
RE: Will the internet Die in 30 years? by Dr4g0n on 03-20-2008 at 06:53 PM

As far as I'm aware, there are only two options for 'them' to fix it. Either there is a replacement for the current POSIX time (which I doubt, since there would then be trouble with cross-compatibility), or 64-bit integers are used for the time instead of 32-bit (which is impossible for 32-bit systems).

RE: Will the internet Die in 30 years? by Jesus on 03-20-2008 at 06:55 PM

I just set my time to 4:13:55 on that date (CET, so it's 1 hour out)
this is the result ;)
[Image: attachment.php?pid=896284]

linux' timemachine > apple's :O:O:O

edit: it didn't crash though...

RE: Will the internet Die in 30 years? by andrewdodd13 on 03-20-2008 at 06:57 PM

In all honesty, who would really be expecting to use a 32-bit PC in 2038?

RE: Will the internet Die in 30 years? by Quantum on 03-20-2008 at 07:01 PM

quote:
I just set my time to 4:13:55 on that date (CET, so it's 1 hour out)
this is the result ;)
[Image: attachment.php?pid=896284]

linux' timemachine > apple's :O:O:O

Just out of curiosity what OS are you using?
RE: Will the internet Die in 30 years? by Jesus on 03-20-2008 at 07:03 PM

quote:
Just out of curiosity what OS are you using?
I ran that test on Gentoo Linux 2.6.23-r8
RE: Will the internet Die in 30 years? by L. Coyote on 03-20-2008 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
64-bit will be old by then.
RE: Will the internet Die in 30 years? by Adeptus on 03-20-2008 at 07:49 PM

The problem is overflow of 32-bit integers.  If any systems using 32-bit timestamp are in service at that time, they won't necessarily crash.   The date will simply roll back to January 1, 1970. 

For software that depends on date calculations, that could be a problem resulting in a crash.   However, lots of systems would remain functional, with only minor annoyances, like wrong date stamps in logs, wrong date displayed or printed.  A traffic light controller that uses different timings for weekdays and weekends may get confused about what day it is, but I don't see any obvius reason why it should stop working completely.

By the way, all of the above also applied to the Y2K issue, except that was overflow of two digit decimal numbers.  My Y2K non-compliant microwave didn't stop reheating my food, it just failed to automatically update the clock to daylight savings time four months later.

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
It has nothing to do with how many bits your architecture is; it has to do with the size of the integer used to hold the timestamp.  A 32-bit CPU is perfectly capable of working with a 64-bit integer, except that on the machine code level single instruction operations become a few instructions (operating on 32-bit halves one at a time).
RE: Will the internet Die in 30 years? by aNILEator on 03-20-2008 at 07:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by L. Coyote
64 Bit is old now, it's only recently been adopted into teh consumer market that's all

RE: Will the internet Die in 30 years? by ShawnZ on 03-20-2008 at 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
My Y2K non-compliant microwave didn't stop reheating my food, it just failed to automatically update the clock to daylight savings time four months later.

no, but did the non Y2K-compliant plane that fell out of the sky when the world was ending cause any damage when it landed on your microwave?
RE: Will the internet Die in 30 years? by Svip on 03-20-2008 at 10:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
quote:
64 Bit is old now, it's only recently been adopted into teh consumer market that's all
But do we really need any more than 128bit?  I mean, with 128 bit, we can have more RAM than there are visual objects in the Universe.
RE: RE: Will the internet Die in 30 years? by andrewdodd13 on 03-20-2008 at 11:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Svip
quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
quote:
But do we really need any more than 128bit?  I mean, with 128 bit, we can have more RAM than there are visual objects in the Universe.
I don't think so. In all honesty, this UNIX time-stamp problem only occurs in implementations which use signed integers rather than unsigned.

For those who don't get it: UNIX time is basically just the number of seconds that have elapsed since 00:00:00 01-Jan-1970 UTC. So on whatever the date is they're going on about, 2^31 seconds will have elapsed since that date (2^32 for implementations using unsigned integers).

If we migrated to a 64-bit signed integer, there would be a hell of a lot more time available [292,279,025,208 years (that's what, 20 times the age of the universe?), by my calculations], the only problem being, as someone mentioned, that 32-bit processors don't do 64-bit integer operations as quickly as 32-bit ones.
RE: Will the internet Die in 30 years? by Eddie on 03-21-2008 at 04:33 AM

They will have easily found a solution and the world will have moved on by then easily :P

RE: RE: Will the internet Die in 30 years? by matt on 03-21-2008 at 06:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
They will have easily found a solution and the world will have moved on by then easily :P

that'll be cool.:)
RE: Will the internet Die in 30 years? by Jarrod on 03-21-2008 at 06:36 AM

i doubt anything would crash just clock over back to the start, like it does when my space pinball score =>999999

RE: Will the internet Die in 30 years? by NiteMare on 03-21-2008 at 12:11 PM

think about it, using your current PC in 2038, would be like stilling using a commodore 64 right now, its not going to happen, i'd say anoter 10 years and 32 bit pc will be on there way out, 20 and they'll be ancent, and then when 30 years come, anybody still using a 32 bit PC will be laughed at

probualy the only 32 bit systems will be vintage ones, and i at that point you don't real care if the date resets, its kinda like having an old NES system, you don't care that its old, its just a classic

RE: Will the internet Die in 30 years? by Matt-in on 04-25-2008 at 03:03 PM

Lol I cant imagine a world without Internet, Look At Us, Internet Is Just a mandatory part of our lives, Whatever we wonder We google, Whatever we want it to be illustrated we Youtube it :) And even like start of 2000's....Wouldnt the desire and usage of this grow? LOOOL

UNIX Know it so Im sure they will come up w. a good solution, They have 30 more years so Sit back and relax :P