Shoutbox

[Sug] Window dimention ratios - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [Sug] Window dimention ratios (/showthread.php?tid=82507)

[Sug] Window dimention ratios by SmokingCookie on 03-20-2008 at 09:21 PM

Hi,

I have a suggestion for the skinning part of Plus!:
A tag to allow the skin developer to use ratios in their window dimensions.
I think it'd be something like this:

code:
<SkinInfo>
  <Dimentions>
    <ChatWnd>
      <Size>
        <WidthHeightRatio>1.333</WidthHeightRatio>
      </Size>
    </ChatWnd>
  </Dimensions>
</SkinInfo>

This would allow the user to resize their windows, but along  certain "line".
So your windows can have a resolution of (e.g.) 1024*768  or  1280*960  (because 1024/768=1.333 and so on)..

Any opinions?
RE: [Sug] Window dimention ratios by RaceProUK on 03-25-2008 at 02:24 PM

If implemented, it should be done in the more usual '4:3' style.

Anyway, I think it's a bad idea, as people expect to size a window however they want, or not size it at all.

RE: [Sug] Window dimention ratios by SmokingCookie on 03-25-2008 at 03:38 PM

But threr are skins with Minimum and Maximum tags, so this doesn't allow users to resize windows 100% as they want..

RE: [Sug] Window dimention ratios by aNILEator on 03-25-2008 at 03:48 PM

I understand his point, and for some skins, especially shaped skins this would really make a difference, but it is incredible advanced/difficult to achieve correctly

RE: [Sug] Window dimention ratios by SmokingCookie on 03-25-2008 at 03:52 PM

And.. Who is "he"? :P

RE: [Sug] Window dimention ratios by aNILEator on 03-25-2008 at 03:56 PM

You SmokingCookie

Think of it like this RP;

Imagine a shaped skin, shaped like a pair of boobs in a bra

\(_)(_)/

now lets say that that as a square |_____| is 16:9
you want to be able to make those boobs bigger without making them into ovals by squashing them sideways.

So defining the resize aspect ratio would enable you to enlarge the window whilst still keeping graphics, shapes and borders in the right shape, size and aspect ratio

RE: [Sug] Window dimention ratios by SmokingCookie on 03-25-2008 at 03:58 PM

Okay :D

Now, I am not a programmer (though I have tried it..), but why would it be so difficult to acieve correctly?

RE: [Sug] Window dimention ratios by aNILEator on 03-25-2008 at 04:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SmokingCookie
why would it be so difficult to acieve correctly?

It may not be hard for Patchou to implement it (I don't know this), but it'd be more hard figuring out the size dimensions that you would need for your skin, and you may still need a Maximum and minimum sizes

Remembering some monitors can stretch pixel ratios out anyway etc
RE: [Sug] Window dimention ratios by SmokingCookie on 03-25-2008 at 04:11 PM

Divide the length value by the width value and there you go..

Maybe combining Min and Max with the ratio thing would be something.

I think it'd give something like this:

code:
<SkinInfo>

(...)

<Dimensions>
<[Some window]>
<Size>
<Width>
<Minimum>X</Minimum>
<Maximum>X</Maximum>
</Width>
<Height>
<Minimum>X</Minimum>
<Maximum>X</Maximum>
</Height>
<WidthHeightRatio>1.333</WidthHeightRatio>
</Size>
</Dimensions>

(...)

</SkinInfo>

RE: [Sug] Window dimention ratios by Volv on 03-25-2008 at 04:46 PM

I definitely would like to see this as I have indeed come across a use for it when using custom background images and custom shapes.

The <WidthHeightRatio> tag suggested by SmokingCookie would be good, but something which would be much nicer (yet more complex from a programming stand-point) would be to have something like:

code:
<Size>
    <Width>
        <Minimum>579</Minimum>
        <Maximum>988</Maximum>
    </Width>
    <Height><Fixed>2*Width</Fixed></Height>
</Size>
That is, allow strings defining relationships between width/height, this would in theory allow simple and more complex relationships should the need arise :D

Interesting(ish) scenario:
code:
<Height>
    <Minimum>Width*1.5</Minimum>
    <Maximum>Width*2</Maximum>
</Height>
eg. If Width = 100, then Height min = 150 and max = 200.
This would cause the height to remain in a certain range (between 150 and 200) unless width is changed.

Of course you would (should) be able to define relationships in terms of Height (eg. <Width><Fixed>2*Height<Fixed></Width>) as well as in terms of Width (eg. <Height><Fixed>2*Width</Fixed><Height>). Whilst the necessity may not be apparent from a Fixed standpoint, the 'interesting scenario' above could be used to limit width to a certain range depending on height just as well as it did limit height depending on width.

Either way, I hope to see some form of constrained proportions in place. I probably should have suggested this earlier but the idea kept slipping my mind :D
RE: [Sug] Window dimention ratios by SmokingCookie on 03-25-2008 at 04:58 PM

That woudl be off-topic, unless you think hard:

code:
<Size>
    <Width>
        <Minimum>X</Minimum>  <!-- You can only resize between X and Y -->
        <Maximum>Y</Maximum>
    </Width>
    <Height><Fixed>1.333*Width</Fixed></Height> <!-- 1024/960=1.333 -->
</Size>

EDIT:: <WidthHeightRatio> could also be:

code:
<[Window]>
  <Size>
    <Width>
      <RelatedToHeight>
        <Ratio>4:3</Ratio> <!-- 4/3=1.333 -->
      </RelatedToHeight>
    </Width>
    <Height>
      <Minimum>X</Minimum>
      <Maximum>Y</Maximum>  <!-- Where X/Y=1.333 -->
    </Height>
  </Size>
</[Window]>

RE: [Sug] Window dimention ratios by RaceProUK on 03-26-2008 at 11:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Think of it like this RP;

Imagine a shaped skin, shaped like a pair of boobs in a bra

\(_)(_)/

now lets say that that as a square |_____| is 16:9
you want to be able to make those boobs bigger without making them into ovals by squashing them sideways.

So defining the resize aspect ratio would enable you to enlarge the window whilst still keeping graphics, shapes and borders in the right shape, size and aspect ratio
I understand the concept :P
My concern is that it's extremely rare to find windows that behave like this. To me, it's highly non-standard behaviour, and could confuse some users.
RE: [Sug] Window dimention ratios by CookieRevised on 03-27-2008 at 04:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK

Anyway, I think it's a bad idea, as people expect to size a window however they want, or not size it at all.
I've worked with many programs which do the exact same thing, locking aspect ratio of the window, for the very same reasons... It's not that unusual, especially in graphical or media oriented programs.

quote:
I understand his point, and for some skins, especially shaped skins this would really make a difference, but it is incredible advanced/difficult to achieve correctly
It's actually as easy as limiting the size...

Limiting the size is simply done by checking the window size before Windows actually paints the window. And in case it is bigger than allowed, simply ignore the resize request/Windows message.

Having the aspect ratio locked is equally simply and done in the very same way: when the width changes, also change the height accordingly. And vice versa.

I think it would make a nice addition. Dunno how much it would be used though...

All this of course if Plus! has a way to intercept the sizing of WLM windows. But if it can, you could anything you want with the sizing in the same manner.
RE: [Sug] Window dimention ratios by ShawnZ on 03-27-2008 at 05:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I think it would make a nice addition. Dunno how much it would be used though...

who cares? the few skins that do require it would probably be so intricate that it would be well worth the implementation :p (looking at volv)
RE: RE: [Sug] Window dimention ratios by SmokingCookie on 03-27-2008 at 05:09 PM

quote:
quote:

I've worked with many programs which do the exact same thing, locking aspect ratio of the window, for the very same reasons... It's not that unusual, especially in graphical or media oriented programs.

quote:
It's actually as easy as limiting the size...

Limiting the size is simply done by checking the window size before Windows actually paints the window. And in case it is bigger than allowed, simply ignore the resize request/Windows message.

Having the aspect ratio locked is equally simply and done in the very same way: when the width changes, also change the height accordingly. And vice versa.

It's actually limiting the size to a certain range, along a certain line across the user's screen.

And I am requesting this feature in order to use it in my skin :P
RE: [Sug] Window dimention ratios by CookieRevised on 03-27-2008 at 07:33 PM

A locked aspect ratio can still mean different sizes, it just means the aspect ratio will be the same at all times. And even then, again the principle is just the same as with size restriction, no matter if you mix an aspect ration with min and max sizes for both height and with or just only for height or width, it is all the same thing.

RE: [Sug] Window dimention ratios by RaceProUK on 03-28-2008 at 01:54 PM

quote:
quote:

I haven't come across any of those, but then I don't use a lot of graphics/media apps.
RE: [Sug] Window dimention ratios by Menthix on 03-28-2008 at 02:41 PM

I'm not a big fan of restriction what a user does with the window in any way, but if you are going to use restrictions a locked ratio definitely sounds better than locking the window on a static size.

Not sure if it's technically do-able, but a good suggestion.