Shoutbox

Possible virus?Help needed!! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Possible virus?Help needed!! (/showthread.php?tid=82517)

Possible virus?Help needed!! by leaj84 on 03-21-2008 at 11:23 AM

Hi,

I'm really not sure what has happened to my laptop, or even if this is the right place to ask, but here goes....

Last weekend i installed the lastest version on windows live messenger and evrything seemed to be fine.

But last night I noticed i had a new icon for windows live messenger that was just titled fv[p06y777777777777777.

This looked dodgy to me, so I googled it but that didnt help much.
Someone advised i should run windows defender which i did, but it said everything was ok.

I've got AVG and that doesn't seem to be coming up with anything either.

Has anyone seen anythng like this before? I don't want to open in incase it is dodgy, but i cant find anything that tells me it is dodgy!

Any help as to what i need to do or where i need to go to sort this will be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!!!!
Leanne

RE: Possible virus?Help needed!! by V@no on 03-21-2008 at 01:23 PM

Right click on it, go to properties and see where it points to.

RE: Possible virus?Help needed!! by Eddie on 03-21-2008 at 01:24 PM

want to take a screenshot for us? *-)

RE: Possible virus?Help needed!! by Quantum on 03-21-2008 at 01:49 PM

What do you mean by a new icon? Please explain.. is it on the desktop is it a copy or is it in windows live messenger itself?

Try uninstalling windows live messenger. Once its uninstalled have a look to see if the icons there. If it is delete it. Reinstall Windows Live Messenger and see if the same icon comes back. If its just the normal Windows Live Messenger icon everything should be fine.

If not post a screenshot.

RE: Possible virus?Help needed!! by leaj84 on 03-21-2008 at 01:50 PM

ok, if i right click and select properties it tells me this;

general tab-location-C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

shortcut tab-target-"C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe"

not sure if that's any more help to you!

[Image: screen.jpg]

RE: Possible virus?Help needed!! by Quantum on 03-21-2008 at 01:52 PM

In that case just delete the icon and everything will be alright.

RE: Possible virus?Help needed!! by Eddie on 03-21-2008 at 01:53 PM

do an online scan with the address below and if there is anything it will find out...

http://housecall.trendmicro.com

RE: Possible virus?Help needed!! by leaj84 on 03-21-2008 at 02:03 PM

thanks, i'm just running that scan now.

my brother has just come home and said that the cat was sitting on the laptop yesterday and maybe she's just hit the right buttons to create a new icon & rename it!!

suppose it's possible??!! will feel abit stupid if that is the case, but if this housecall scan comes back with nothing as well then maybe it was the cat and i can happily delete it!

well i run the housecall scan and it found a few things, they've all been cleaned up now, but this little icon still remains!

guess i'll just delete it and hope for the best!

thanks john,eddie & v@no for your assistance!! hope you all have a nice easter!!!
RE: Possible virus?Help needed!! by Vilkku on 03-21-2008 at 06:19 PM

It's definitely possible that the cat renamed, I have a cat myself and your theory doesn't sound strange at all, especially now when you didn't find anything related to the icon with the scan ;)

RE: Possible virus?Help needed!! by V@no on 03-22-2008 at 02:07 AM

Well, I'm still curious, if you haven't deleted the icon, what does it say in the shortcut properties under "Shortcut" tab (as on your screenshot)?

RE: Possible virus?Help needed!! by ahmetgns on 03-23-2008 at 08:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by V@no
Well, I'm still curious, if you haven't deleted the icon, what does it say in the shortcut properties under "Shortcut" tab (as on your screenshot)?
quote:
Originally posted by leaj84
shortcut tab-target-"C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe"
I think you must have looked more carefully :)