Shoutbox

What Kind of Laptop is best? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: What Kind of Laptop is best? (/showthread.php?tid=82536)

What Kind of Laptop is best? by matt on 03-22-2008 at 02:42 AM

Hi guys,
What is the best Laptop for you?

• DELL
    COMPAQ
    SONY
    ACER
    OTHER

and let's say, that it will be used to work and at the same time have internet with MP!L and all the stuff.

also taking into account tech specs.  HD, Ram, etc.
RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by Voldemort on 03-22-2008 at 04:34 AM

ermmmm

they all have different models?

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by markee on 03-22-2008 at 04:50 AM

Personally I'm looking at the Toshiba M600, I need something powerful, light and small, but it doesn't need to be able to play games.

It all depends on what it is going to be used for and what your budget is and how much you are going to move it around.  If you are only going to use it around home then I highly suggest getting a desktop instead.

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by RebelSean on 03-22-2008 at 05:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
Personally I'm looking at the Toshiba M600, I need something powerful, light and small, but it doesn't need to be able to play games.

It all depends on what it is going to be used for and what your budget is and how much you are going to move it around.  If you are only going to use it around home then I highly suggest getting a desktop instead.

That's a decent laptop indeed, Markee.

I am also looking into a second laptop (Mother has taken my laptop so she can use it whilst at work).

Anyone own a Dell XPS 1330? I'm going to be running Vista Ult, and it'll mainly be used for loads of presentations and document formatting, so if you have a better recommendation let me know :).

RE: RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by matt on 03-22-2008 at 07:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean
Dell XPS 1330[/b]? I'm going to be running Vista Ult, and it'll mainly be used for loads of presentations and document formatting, so if you have a better recommendation let me know :).

yeah, XPS laptops are just monsters. But did not think before on a Toshiba....

I wanna get one for work and for other stuff, like videos, music and...maybe games.

By the way, what do you think about Compaq computers?
RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by Th3rmal on 03-22-2008 at 07:47 AM

IMO Dells arent very good, Sony's are great if you can afford them, Acers are good allrounders, not sure about COMPAQ. If i where you i would go for an Acer or a Toshiba

RE: RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by matt on 03-22-2008 at 07:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
IMO Dells arent very good, Sony's are great if you can afford them, Acers are good allrounders, not sure about COMPAQ. If i where you i would go for an Acer or a Toshiba

That is good. Tks.  I am asking on Compaq because I have a friend who is selling me his Compaq laptop, but I'm not sure if this is a good deal, and now that you are telling me, I haven't check the prices of the Toshiba or Acer computers.  I know Acer are nice and good computers. 

I would have to pay 600 USD for the Compaq.... doesn't sound like a deal right?
RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by blackjack on 03-22-2008 at 07:59 AM

Not if we dont know the Specs.. *-)

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by Kenji on 03-22-2008 at 10:27 AM

Thinkpads ftw.

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by Nathan on 03-22-2008 at 12:01 PM

Acers have good specs for cheap prices but their build quality isn't overally good.

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by absorbation on 03-22-2008 at 12:48 PM

Toshiba has generally good build quality. Macs are probably the best, but way too expensive :P.

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by albert on 03-22-2008 at 01:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
Thinkpads ftw.

Agreed. I find that Thinkpads excel better than other laptop, even at lower configuration.
RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by Eddie on 03-22-2008 at 01:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Toshiba has generally good build quality. Macs are probably the best, but way too expensive :P.
Agreed (Y) BootCamp (A)
RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by CookieRevised on 03-22-2008 at 03:41 PM

This would the same as asking what kind of car is the best.... Nobody can answer such a vage question in an objective manner ....

Almost any brand is good. Everything depends on the specs of the laptops. So, nobody can decently answer your question in this way, not if you don't give any specs.

And even then, it highly depends on what you want to do with the laptop. eg: A laptop with certain specs can be excellent for my needs, but can be garbage for your needs.

Also, each brand has his own layout of keys, mousepad, extra buttons, etc. It again depends on what you fancy. eg: do you like the mousepad to have extra mouse buttons, a dedicated scroll area, etc... Do you want the laptop to have extra (media) buttons to directly control stuff, etc...

For instance, if you want a RS232 and parallel port on your 15" screensize laptop, only a very very few brands will be left over to choose from. All these things could influence your choice of a particular brand.

---

So, again, everything depends on the specs of the laptops and what you want to do with it. Only then you could decide that brand X is more appealing or worth the money or cheaper or whatever than brand Y for those specific laptop specs.

;)

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by Nathan on 03-22-2008 at 03:55 PM

As alot of people have said here, it depends what you want to use it for. If you want a ultra portable pc, for just browsing and word documents, then the EEEPC is for you. If you want a ultimate gaming/desktop replacement then Alienware/Dell are for you (alienware is owned by dell). If you want an allrounder that's cheap and well spec'd that you can play most games on, acer.

You could do it all day, but you have to take a bit of responsibility for choosing a laptop. We all have different needs. And at the end of the day you will be using it.

RE: RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by matt on 03-22-2008 at 05:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blackjack
Not if we dont know the Specs.. *-)

Originally the laptop had 400 MB RAM, now it has 1GB, which would be okay. 

124 video card.  CD/RW, 100 GBS of memory

Edit: sorry, i had to leave yesterday night and could not send my post before. i see there are more replies here. :)
RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by joemailey on 03-23-2008 at 09:36 PM

I have a Dell XPS 1330 with 4GB of memory.
It hasa 5400RPM hard drive so for document formatting etc etc.

u mite loo at getting 7200rpm speed it up a little.

works perfectly well.

i love it :)

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by RockOnn;) on 03-25-2008 at 09:13 PM

obviously dell ;) !

ly meee (L):P

RE: RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by matt on 03-25-2008 at 09:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joemailey

I have a Dell XPS 1330 with 4GB of memory.
It hasa 5400RPM hard drive so for document formatting etc etc.

u mite loo at getting 7200rpm speed it up a little.

works perfectly well.

i love it :)

shit. that sounds like a pretty sexy computer. :shocked:

Edit: Just like CookieRevised said, it depens on what i will be doing in the computer and the use.

I need it for work and maybe games, music and few videos, so i think i need memory ram and storage capacity. With work i mean office 2003 and maybe some corel files.  Don't think i need a monster. *-)*-)
RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by joemailey on 03-25-2008 at 09:26 PM

I use mine for nothing really Surfing, E-Mailing, Downloading and MSN lol

I traded my Dell XPS 700 Gaming PC for Dell XPS M1330

By trade i mean i sold the PC for the Price i was paying for laptop.

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by MicroWay on 03-26-2008 at 01:22 AM

Well.. In Brazil, before being broght by HP, Compaq had very good computers: with hight quality and durability!!! I remember my first computer: was a Compaq and I needed to buy another just because of the update of technology....

One friend had an old Compaq laptop.. It was slow one, but it used to make its job....

So, my vote is for Compaq....  (Y)

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by aNILEator on 03-26-2008 at 01:44 AM

macbook (Y)

but in all honesty, a laptop that can operate whilst aflame is the best, we all need more pyrotechnic technology in our lives!

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by ipab on 03-26-2008 at 03:40 AM

I have been a technician part time at Staples for over 2 years now and you wouldn't believe the amount of issues that laptops come in with... if you ask me, laptops suck :refuck:. But if one is looking at a laptop, I would recommend them to either go for an HP (they pack a lot of useful features into it), a dell XPS or a macbook.

Just make sure they run intel chips because AMD chips run really hot and completely whore the battery... they are so bad that HP started including 12 Cell batteries along with some of their AMD models.

Note that I said HP not Compaq since essentially Compaq is their sub average notebook line... and therefore you are getting a cheaper laptop in all matters concerned, thus sacrificing usability. Compaq was awesome before they merged with HP :(.

I am also going to go on a limb and ask you to stay away from acer machines... Most acer machines bought in North American retail stores seem to have a lot of issues...

RE: RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by matt on 03-26-2008 at 04:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
Just make sure they run intel chips because AMD chips run really hot and completely whore the battery... they are so bad that HP started including 12 Cell batteries along with some of their AMD models.

tku for the information.  it is really good to know this thing on the chips, right now i have this compaq that has a AMD mobile sepron chip, i don't think it is really good as you said.  i should get a dell or hp then and drop this one, i mean don't pay this one.
I put the specs before, i don't know if you saw them.
RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by NeSsiKa on 05-19-2008 at 07:19 PM

OTHER.

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by Rik on 05-19-2008 at 07:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NeSsiKa
OTHER.
wich is? :P
RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by vaccination on 05-19-2008 at 08:24 PM

Generally I'd go for a Toshiba laptop, they're awesome. Acer sucks balls. Don't like Dell, though can't say whether they're good or not(though from what I've heard, they're not). And Mac books own pretty well.

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by Oxy on 05-19-2008 at 08:24 PM

I'm using Compaq. Runs smoothly.

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by Nathan on 05-19-2008 at 10:18 PM

I can say pretty safely acer are good in the sense that you get a really powerful machine fairly cheaply, but the build quality is utter shit. I have regretted buying this laptop. But it's still up to speed and can play the latest games so it keeps me happy.

However I am getting a new lappy soon :banana: and it's called Alienware, they're new m15x series, it looks HOT!

http://www.alienware.co.uk/product_detail_pages/a...ubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

Expensive but sexy!!!!!

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by markee on 05-21-2008 at 02:21 AM

Well I got my new Toshiba Portege M600 yesterday and it is great.  Powerful and small.  Though I must say, it is a steep learning curve when you get a new laptop and have to get used to all ofthe controls and Vista at the same time....

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by ShawnZ on 05-21-2008 at 02:22 AM

get a Thinkpad. there's really no question that they're the best brand on the market...

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by markee on 05-21-2008 at 02:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
get a Thinkpad. there's really no question that they're the best brand on the market...
Except for the looks.
RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by ShawnZ on 05-21-2008 at 03:09 AM

what's wrong with their looks?

RE: RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by ipab on 05-21-2008 at 06:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
what's wrong with their looks?

Thinkpads are the antithesis of everything esthetically pleasing in this world...

I mean for fucks sake, they haven't changed the look much in the last 12-15 years.
RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by mattisdada on 05-21-2008 at 07:03 AM

ThinkPads only good thing is the nipple. Other wise there weak underpowered expensive ugly over heating bastards. (;))

If you want a good valued powerfull but still very portable laptop, id defintly go for the Asus M50SV. Its an excellent laptop.

For $1700:
CPU:      Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz
RAM:     2GB DDR2 
HDD:      250GB SATA
Graphic: Nvidia 9500GS
                up to 896MB Turbo Cache
Screen:   15.4” WXGA+ (1440 x 900)
* 2yrs World Wide Warranty * DVD Burner * 1.3MP Web Cam
* BT * Finger Print Reader * WiFi 11 “N”
* Altech Lansing Dolby Speakers
Its one of the fastest laptops in the market currently in its price range :). It uses a Peryn chip (45nm FTW)

For a good price listing with specs:
http://www.msy.com.au/notebook/notebook.pdf

All prices AU.

Toshiba and LG also make quite good laptops.

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by Th3rmal on 05-21-2008 at 08:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
ThinkPads only good thing is the nipple.
i absolutely hate the "nipple". My current thinkpads nipple is all weird and just starts moving on its own...I prefer touch pads, they are much easier to work with.
quote:
Other wise there weak underpowered expensive ugly over heating bastards.
So true. My thinkpad is like an electric blanket on full blast, it heaps up really quickly =/. Oh and dont forget heavy...

quote:
http://www.msy.com.au/notebook/notebook.pdf
Those prices are only good for aussies lol....
RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by mattisdada on 05-21-2008 at 09:10 AM

And converting prices is hard? America is only like 0.05 from us now :P.

And the majourty of the forums users are Australian from what ive seen. So there *sticks tounge out*

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by CookieRevised on 05-21-2008 at 09:34 AM

most are from the uk.....

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/statistics.php?page=countries

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by Th3rmal on 05-21-2008 at 09:56 AM

quote:
And converting prices is hard? America is only like 0.05 from us now :P.

And the majourty of the forums users are Australian from what ive seen. So there *sticks tounge out*
well prices are different in every country, some places parts/systems are cheaper and some other countries are more expensive. Also seeming as the person who started this thread isnt from Australia, MSY wouldnt help...
RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by ShawnZ on 05-21-2008 at 10:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
Oh and dont forget heavy...

thinkpads are some of the smallest and lightest notepads... (if you get an X-series)
RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by Kenji on 05-21-2008 at 11:27 AM

quote:
ThinkPads only good thing is the nipple. Other wise there weak underpowered expensive ugly over heating bastards.
Thats kinda funny. Have you actually ever owned one?
RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by Aardvark on 05-21-2008 at 03:33 PM

Why does it just say Compaq instead of HP? Anyway I like Compaq and HP, and everyone else I know seems to have a HP/Compaq computer too. We're all pretty satisfied. Pretty much all of the choices in the poll are good except Dell.

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by mattisdada on 05-22-2008 at 07:40 AM

Compaq and dell suck though... you have some sucky friends!

Acer and Dell are craptastic as well. Sony low end (and middle end) laptops suck, but there high end ones are fairly good.

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by user27089 on 05-22-2008 at 11:06 AM

I said Compaq purely because they're owned by HP and I really like those laptops :].

I'm saving up for a HP one at the moment, for the price you can get really good specifications, they come with very little junkware on them and they run really nicely. Still contemplating whether to buy Windows XP Professional to run on it instead of Vista though; hmm.

Check out the HP website there are some awesome deals on there, plus their laptops are fit.

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by FrozenDaggers on 05-24-2008 at 02:28 PM

I have a Toshiba Laptop & it's pretty decent.
does everything I want it to do. & it's put up with a lot from me, specially having drunken uni parties & what not... yet it still works. lol.

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by Nathan on 05-24-2008 at 02:44 PM

If you prefer the "boutique" brand name, and being able to customize everything (practically) then you will want to go to alienware, they are mint! You can choose what proccessor, screen, gfx card, keyboard etc... and it even has tube lighting all round the screen and a lit up keyboard that you can change to any colour you want :p

[Image: alienware-area-51-m15x-m17x-laptop.jpg]

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by ShawnZ on 05-24-2008 at 02:53 PM

you're not going to get any decent answers in this thread except for "thinkpad" and "alienware", since all of the other options (hp, compaq, dell, acer, etc) are crappy middle-end laptops with no significant features. if your choices are between hp, compaq, acer, and sony, then it doesn't really matter, because no matter what you buy it would just be the same laptop with a different brand name on it. in fact, the brands you listed aren't even significantly *known* for their laptops, whereas lenovo, alienware, etc. are.

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by Nathan on 05-24-2008 at 03:30 PM

The only drawback to alienware is their poor customer service, but wow ShawnZ agreed with me lmao, this is a first!

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by Rik on 05-24-2008 at 03:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
If you prefer the "boutique" brand name, and being able to customize everything (practically) then you will want to go to alienware, they are mint! You can choose what proccessor, screen, gfx card, keyboard etc... and it even has tube lighting all round the screen and a lit up keyboard that you can change to any colour you want :P
Other companies also offer this, like http://www.colorwarepc.com/c-3-computers.aspx :)
RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by TheBlasphemer on 05-25-2008 at 09:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
The only drawback to alienware is their poor customer service
I own an Alienware M5550, and although I haven't had to contact customer support quite a lot, I can say that the times that I did have been quite pleasant.

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by mattisdada on 05-26-2008 at 06:38 AM

Alienware are great.... if your willing to pay that bit extra :P.

Asus, and Toshiba make excellent laptops.

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by androo123 on 05-28-2008 at 08:24 PM

A MAC book is great....if you have the money. So I'm voting for other.

RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by markee on 06-03-2008 at 08:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by androo123
No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No!

The only people i recomend a mac to are people who want to do multimedia work, otherwise No!
RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by Th3rmal on 06-03-2008 at 08:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
quote:
Originally posted by androo123
No! x over 9000

The only people i recomend a mac to are people who want to do multimedia work, otherwise No!
Agreed. IMO Macs are only really good for multimedia, if you want something for general use, i wouldnt get a Mac, especially if you want it for gaming, Mac definately isnt it.
RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by Voldemort on 06-03-2008 at 02:55 PM

quote:
Acer and Dell are craptastic as well.
quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
Pretty much all of the choices in the poll are good except Dell.
erm... no.

I currently own a M1330 XPS laptop, and I must say that it isn't "craptastic"... Don't compare it to Acer.

Pretty funny when you guys talk about quality or how shitty something is based on nothing... without any basis.
RE: RE: What Kind of Laptop is best? by ZrednaZ on 06-09-2008 at 03:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
Thinkpads ftw.
Yeah, perhaps if multimedia features are not an issue. I have a 14.1" Thinkpad T61 from June 2007. It's sturdy, handy, fast and all... But the crippled sound card is enough to make me steer clear of Lenovo in the future. Forget about being able to actually hear the audio of Youtube videos in a room with other people making quiet conversation. The problem is not the speakers, as they will play somewhat loudly if the source is loud enough. The f***ing driver simply won't let you turn up the volume sufficiently.
By comparison, my mom's Dell Inspiron with its front-mounted laptop speakers offers deafening voume with just about any sound source. :)

Also, music playback occasionally "skips", for instance if you drag a window on the desktop. Had the 7200rpm harddrive replaced on warranty to try and fix this issue, but the probled has not completely gone away.

Also, your only record input is options are the microphone and Line In. No WAV/MP3 or Stereo Mix option! This means no (practical) way of sending what you're currently listening to via Messenger - this happens to annoy me beyond belief. This can only be solved by getting an external sound card (trust me, I've turned every stone).

Also, the screen is pretty lousy - brightness wise. My mom's Dell screen is far superior. None of the two compared screens is glossy.

I knew the Thinkpad was a business-aimed laptop, but I thought this mostly meant extra sturdiness and not necessarily much less multimedia functionality. I would have got something without "Thinkpad" in its name knowing what I know today...
Sadly, I don't expect it to break anytime soon - it is, after all, a Thinkpad ;)

Someone mentioned overheating. I don't find this to be a problem (only when using it in bed, cuttinf off the air intake), however, the power supply tends to get fairly hot.

Check out http://www.notebookreview.com/