Shoutbox

Upgrade - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Upgrade (/showthread.php?tid=82614)

Upgrade by YourNeibour on 03-24-2008 at 02:10 PM

I just upgraded a computer in my house and i notice the floppy drive isn't working:

1) I checked in the bios and it is enabled
2) windows xp pro sees it
3) will not read disk in one computer but will in another.

does anyone have any other suggestions?

thanks

RE: Upgrade by Vilkku on 03-24-2008 at 02:13 PM

What did you upgrade?

RE: Upgrade by YourNeibour on 03-24-2008 at 02:24 PM

I moved my old hard drive, video card and ram over...the floppy didn't work before i moved it over either.

RE: Upgrade by Quantum on 03-24-2008 at 02:26 PM

Is it a USB floppy drive? If it is the drivers could be corrupted.

RE: Upgrade by Baggins on 03-24-2008 at 03:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by YourNeibour
the floppy didn't work before i moved it over either
it may simply be broken then, did you check the cable?
RE: Upgrade by andrewdodd13 on 03-24-2008 at 07:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo
quote:

quote:

--

If XP on the PC that can't read from it, try removing and reinstalling the drivers - this should be accomplished by simply removing the disk from the device manager and rebooting.

You may also wish to try creating a boot floppy on another computer, and see if the BIOS can or cannot boot to it. If the BIOS cannot boot this disk then it is likely some sort of low-level error with the floppy controller on your motherboard.
RE: Upgrade by Jimbo on 03-24-2008 at 08:21 PM

Not trying to sound harsh or rude or anything, but who actually uses floppy drives anymore. I've never used a floppy disk in my life, 1) cos they're too small for anything and 2) my computer doesnt even have a floppy drive

RE: Upgrade by CookieRevised on 03-24-2008 at 08:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
Not trying to sound harsh or rude or anything, but who actually uses floppy drives anymore.
I Do.....

----------

If the floppy is not an usb, then make sure you've connected the floppy to the proper connector. Usually there are two connectors on a floppy cable. Try using the other connector if Windows fails to read. Also mind the possible jumpers on the floppy drive. And check the bios settings (eg: if you only have one floppy, make sure that drive A is selected and drive B is disabled).
RE: Upgrade by vaccination on 03-24-2008 at 10:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo
quote:

quote:

--

He said 'disk' not 'disk drive' - In other words saying it's not a broken floppy disk cause it works in another PC, I'm assuming.
RE: RE: Upgrade by andrewdodd13 on 03-24-2008 at 11:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
Not trying to sound harsh or rude or anything, but who actually uses floppy drives anymore. I've never used a floppy disk in my life, 1) cos they're too small for anything and 2) my computer doesnt even have a floppy drive
I use a floppy disk drive. I have a USB one and an internal one.

1) They are not too small for anything. A standard IBM-PC BIOS boot sector is 512-bytes. Of course, this is generally used as a boot loader, however, can come in very handy in rescue situations.

They may be slow, but they're supported on generally all computers (even if your PC doesn't have a floppy drive, its probably because the creators went on the cheap and skimped £5 for the drive and cables - your motherboard will still likely have the connectors) and as I say, very useful.

Of course they're also slow and prone to corruption, but hey.

@vaccination: You could be correct. From the grammar I wasn't sure if "disk" was meant, or "disks". If disk was indeed the case, then the drive could well be buggered.
RE: Upgrade by Spunky on 03-25-2008 at 01:11 AM

My Floppy drive hasn't worked in ages... It's just there for decoration (and to hold the biscuits to go with the cup of tea sitting on my CD drawer :p)

Floppy drives are too small to hold files we now use such as images (at todays quality anyway) or movies, but are good for boot disks for tools  during boot, rather than practically wasting a CD.

On the plus side of it though, it's been a few years since I've had a "Parity B" virus :p

RE: Upgrade by YourNeibour on 03-25-2008 at 03:28 AM

I changed the floppy drive and the cable on it from a PC that had another floppy drive that i know works and it still won't read the disk.  My dad said he was able to read the disk in his work PC.

RE: Upgrade by Jarrod on 03-25-2008 at 06:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
My Floppy drive hasn't worked in ages... It's just there for decoration (and to hold the biscuits to go with the cup of tea sitting on my CD drawer :p)

Floppy drives are too small to hold files we now use such as images (at todays quality anyway) or movies, but are good for boot disks for tools  during boot, rather than practically wasting a CD.

On the plus side of it though, it's been a few years since I've had a "Parity B" virus :p
floppy disks are good for writting boot infomation onto and rescue tings
RE: Upgrade by CookieRevised on 03-25-2008 at 07:12 AM

quote:
I changed the floppy drive and the cable on it from a PC that had another floppy drive that i know works and it still won't read the disk.  My dad said he was able to read the disk in his work PC.
Do you have the motherboard manual of your PC (where it doesn't work with)? See if something is mentionned about connecting floppy drives. As I said, it could depend on the connector of the cable you used, and sometimes even the length of the cable! Sometimes you need to use a different connector on the cable, and/or set some jumpers (though rare, and this is with old motherboards). Simply using a cable from another PC and connecting it in the same way doesn't always garantuee it will work. It has been a very long time since I installed one, but I do remember that it is one of those (old) things which isn't always straightforward.

EDIT: actually now that I reread it. What do you mean with "disk"? Does the floppy drive work or not? Or is it the floppy disk itself which isn't read? If it is the floppy disk itself, then make sure the floppy disk is formatted properly. It can be that it is  at the end of its life. Try other floppies and/or try to format a brand new one. What is the result of that?

EDIT: fixed some spelling
RE: Upgrade by YourNeibour on 03-25-2008 at 01:10 PM

Hi,

No there is is no manual for the motherboard.  The actual floppy disk doesn't work

RE: Upgrade by CookieRevised on 03-26-2008 at 06:27 PM

Use another (newer) floppy disk? (and format it, don't rely on the pre-formatted things)