Shoutbox

Users' old usernames - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Users' old usernames (/showthread.php?tid=82663)

Users' old usernames by ahmetgns on 03-25-2008 at 09:52 PM

After I saw the great idea "Poster's local time" tooltip which is added a couple of days ago, I thought a similar solution for the confusion with changed usernames as being one who dislikes people changing their usernames but thinks this possibility won't be cancelled in this forum.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=897797]

And if you like this idea, please implement this not only in postbits but everwhere else like Reputation votes pages, threads lists' "Last poster" columns and many others which I cannot think now.

RE: Users' old usernames by Lou on 03-25-2008 at 09:58 PM

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=17700

RE: Users' old usernames by Quantum on 03-25-2008 at 09:59 PM

May take time but i would really back this feature!

RE: Users' old usernames by GiantSpider on 03-25-2008 at 09:59 PM

That would require storing all old alias' in a database wouldn't it. Something which isn't done and would just take up space.

Edit: See MenthiX's Reply to forum requests
PS: Dead Thread

RE: Users' old usernames by Nathan on 03-25-2008 at 10:02 PM

And slow it down, if it has to search the database for the username, and then search another table for its old aliases. And if you times that by 10 (or more) then its bound to be a performance decrease, unless wdz uses cacheing, but it wouldn't help that much imo.

Good idea, but not ideal.

RE: Users' old usernames by ahmetgns on 03-25-2008 at 10:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=17700
If you paid attention, one tab in my screenshot displays that thread anyway and I took Discrate's old name from that thread also :) But I want this feature in order not to visit that thread all the time when I suspect about someone's name, I can simply hover my mouse on name to see if s/he had another name before.
quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
That would require storing all old alias' in a database wouldn't it. Something which isn't done and would just take up space.
I don't think it would take too much storage because there is a few people who change their name, and they change it maybe once a year, or at most once a month, heh? And most of the people didn't change it from the beginning which means no tooltip.

RE: Users' old usernames by Quantum on 03-25-2008 at 10:13 PM

What about it only loads if you hover over it?

RE: Users' old usernames by GiantSpider on 03-25-2008 at 10:14 PM

Yea, but there would still have to be a query for each username, regardless of whether they had. It wouldn't take up space but it would add to the time element.

RE: Users' old usernames by saralk on 03-25-2008 at 10:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t

That would require fairly complicated ajax trickery, for fairly little benefit.

How about making it mandatory to put your old username in your signature for a month.

So if I changed my name, then added to the end of my signature would be "Formerly known as saralk"
RE: Users' old usernames by MeEtc on 03-25-2008 at 11:04 PM

its good enough as it is IMO, so long as WDZ remembers to update the thread

RE: Users' old usernames by GiantSpider on 03-25-2008 at 11:04 PM

It's a bit "nanny state" esque.

RE: Users' old usernames by Lou on 03-25-2008 at 11:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
If you paid attention, one tab in my screenshot displays that thread anyway and I took Discrate's old name from that thread also (Smilie) But I want this feature in order not to visit that thread all the time when I suspect about someone's name, I can simply hover my mouse on name to see if s/he had another name before.
Ah, alright. I didn't catch that ;)
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
quote:
Originally posted by john-t

That would require fairly complicated ajax trickery, for fairly little benefit.

How about making it mandatory to put your old username in your signature for a month.

So if I changed my name, then added to the end of my signature would be "Formerly known as saralk"

Indeed. That's too much work for nothing

Also, if WDZ plans to eventually update the forums, every little thing requested to be added will add to his long list of things to do to move things over, (and if he ever sticks to his promises) thus making the job take quite a bit longer.
RE: Users' old usernames by andrewdodd13 on 03-25-2008 at 11:45 PM

Again, people are slightly seeing this as overcomplicated.

Easy way to do it: Add a "admin_comment" field to the database which is retrieved at the same time as the rest of the data. As long as the admin who changes the user name remembers to update this field (I don't know what the MyBB control panel is like, and how easy/hard it'd be to add this field in there) then it'd work quite well.

Of course it's open to abuse, but mods/admins don't do that. :)

RE: Users' old usernames by CookieRevised on 03-25-2008 at 11:52 PM

Exactly what I thought, it would be just another textual field like the others, no complicated look-ups etc. I support this idea, since I too hate it when people just change names for the heck of it.

quote:
Yea, but there would still have to be a query for each username, regardless of whether they had. It wouldn't take up space but it would add to the time element.
What time element? Tbh, 75% of all signatures used here take far more time to load than having just one more text field.
RE: Users' old usernames by GiantSpider on 03-26-2008 at 12:06 AM

If it had to query the a database it would take longer than if it didn't. If it had to do that for every username per page.....

RE: Users' old usernames by Quantum on 03-26-2008 at 12:12 AM

quote:
If it had to query the a database it would take longer than if it didn't. If it had to do that for every username per page.....

Well if its a problem im sure we can get rid of it :P
RE: Users' old usernames by saralk on 03-26-2008 at 12:12 AM

quote:

But it is already getting the record from the database anyway, so just getting one more field would make a neglible difference.
RE: Users' old usernames by Menthix on 03-26-2008 at 12:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
being one who dislikes people changing their usernames
Making features for people with changed usernames will only promote more name changes.

Currently there are maybe 30 name changes per year, half of those are people you don't care about or people who don't post much anyway. IMO it's just not worth spending any time on this. Changed usernames should be an exception, there's generally no point on making features for exceptions. If someone changes his name and doesn't bother to put his old name in his caption or sig than it's his fault when i mistake him for a newb :p.
RE: Users' old usernames by WDZ on 03-26-2008 at 01:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Making features for people with changed usernames will only promote more name changes.

Currently there are maybe 30 name changes per year, half of those are people you don't care about or people who don't post much anyway. IMO it's just not worth spending any time on this. Changed usernames should be an exception, there's generally no point on making features for exceptions.
Well said, that's exactly what I was thinking. :p

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
since I too hate it when people just change names for the heck of it.
How often does that happen? I'm not allowing any more silly "change your username day"-type events.