Shoutbox

Can skins make windows live messenger faster? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: Can skins make windows live messenger faster? (/showthread.php?tid=82734)

Can skins make windows live messenger faster? by Quantum on 03-28-2008 at 06:49 PM

Well basically the title says it all.

RE: Can skins make windows live messenger faster? by Basilis on 03-28-2008 at 06:52 PM

No. They only change its appearance

RE: Can skins make windows live messenger faster? by CookieRevised on 03-28-2008 at 06:55 PM

I even think they make Messenger slower. No matter how little resources you change or how much stuff you hide.

The fact is that Plus! needs to be loaded in the process, which already is more stuff running than original. On top of that Plus! intercepts (or whatever it does) the resource loading. All this makes WLM slower than normal (although you wouldn't notice the difference).

... I think

RE: Can skins make windows live messenger faster? by Patchou on 03-28-2008 at 07:31 PM

As a general rule, skins do not make any speed difference. The do not slow down Messenger at all, not even a tiny bit, due to the way they are designed (load-when-needed system, no extra conversion in the middle, ...). The only thing you may notice is a second or maybe two of extra loading time when Messenger is started, but after that, it's a smooth ride.

As for making Messenger faster, I'd say no. The default interface of Messenger is pretty simple and does not make extensive use of big bitmaps. Removing a couple of buttons won't change anything in the loading time, you may speed things up a little bit in the contact list depending on what you do to the contact entries but even that, I doubt. The UI system of Messenger is pretty clever and very well done in my opinion, it's completely detached from the logic, that's why we can skin it and that's also why changing the layout of the window won't affect performances.

RE: Can skins make windows live messenger faster? by Quantum on 03-28-2008 at 07:56 PM

Ok. Thanks! Patchou, basilis and cookie.

RE: Can skins make windows live messenger faster? by vikke on 03-29-2008 at 12:08 AM

I would say this depends from skin to skin. If your skin is using huge images or a lot of semi-transparent stuff, it may take longer for Windows Live Messenger to paint than just white background and some text. But I think you cannot notice the difference because it's too small (like they said), unless you have a really heavy skin or errors in your XML.

When the resources are getting replaced, when Messenger starts, it takes a while longer, because Plus! has to load itself, the skin, parse the XML, and replace the resources after that. 1-2 seconds isn't slow, considering that multiple XML files are parsed and a lot of other stuff is done.

To sum up, a skin could slow down Messenger if you're doing something wrong, but it won't get Messenger any faster (of course it will, but you won't be able to notice it because the difference is tiny).

RE: Can skins make windows live messenger faster? by Shiny Rabbit on 03-29-2008 at 10:31 PM

hiding the ad banner i think speeds it up at least a little because it doesn't have to load an annoying little flash thing

RE: Can skins make windows live messenger faster? by Quantum on 03-29-2008 at 10:38 PM

I will delete the ad :P I hate it. Especially the mouse-over :( if there a default skin going about with the ad-removed? (i know there no on the DB)

?

RE: RE: Can skins make windows live messenger faster? by deAd on 03-29-2008 at 10:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shiny Rabbit
hiding the ad banner i think speeds it up at least a little because it doesn't have to load an annoying little flash thing
I believe Messenger continues to load the ad in the background, but you just don't see it.
RE: Can skins make windows live messenger faster? by Quantum on 03-29-2008 at 10:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by deAd
quote:
I believe Messenger continues to load the ad in the background, but you just don't see it.

What if you use a patch?
RE: RE: Can skins make windows live messenger faster? by vikke on 03-29-2008 at 10:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
quote:
Originally posted by deAd
quote:

What if you use a patch?
Same thing. The ad will load and do what it normally does, but will not be printed out to the contact list element, because you removed the element.
RE: Can skins make windows live messenger faster? by Vilkku on 03-30-2008 at 09:37 AM

Anyway, if you want a skin that removes the ads, check out the link in my signature. It's still a work in progress, with very irregular updates, but should help you out.

RE: Can skins make windows live messenger faster? by Quantum on 03-30-2008 at 10:41 AM

Does it change the look of messenger in any way? :)

RE: Can skins make windows live messenger faster? by Vilkku on 03-30-2008 at 01:20 PM

Clicky :dodgy:

RE: Can skins make windows live messenger faster? by Quantum on 03-30-2008 at 01:40 PM

Oh :) I thought it was a skin skin too :P I'll download it, it looks great i might  put it in my sig? Ok?

RE: Can skins make windows live messenger faster? by andrey on 03-30-2008 at 01:48 PM

well, it is a skin :tongue:

RE: Can skins make windows live messenger faster? by Justin on 03-30-2008 at 01:52 PM

The plus patch could use an update :P

RE: Can skins make windows live messenger faster? by nunoperalta on 03-31-2008 at 03:34 PM

this patch can be useful for people who don't want skins, but want to patch the messenger without change the executable :P