Shoutbox

connecting to a computer away from home - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: connecting to a computer away from home (/showthread.php?tid=82735)

connecting to a computer away from home by TheMusicPirate on 03-28-2008 at 06:53 PM

hi,

im  currently at work on my laptop, and i am trying to connect to my pc at home. with a program called NetOp. but it doesnt seem to be able to connect to it.

could it be that my router at home is not allowing outside connections to connect? because when im at home, i can perfectly connect to my pc with no problems.

is there any better software based programs what does the same thing?

thanks

i would like to try to use pcanywhere by norton, but i have so much trouble using it

RE: connecting to a computer away from home by Ezra on 03-28-2008 at 09:04 PM

I'd say your router is probably not configured correctly to let the connection pass to your computer so you will have to forward the right ports correctly.

To answer your next question I've never used NetOp or pcAnywhere, but I personally use VNC software, like RealVNC and TightVNC.

Which probably does almost the same time, but still need the ports forwarded on your router

RE: connecting to a computer away from home by Quantum on 03-28-2008 at 09:08 PM

Well http://logmein.com is great.

RE: connecting to a computer away from home by ryxdp on 03-28-2008 at 09:20 PM

My school uses NetOp, and as far as I know it's only for monitoring and controlling machines over LAN/WiFi/anything short-range, but not over the internet, if that's what you want to do.

I'd suggest you use LogMeIn, as john-t has said, I have seen it in action and it is pretty good. Ask roflmao456, I think he uses it.

RE: RE: connecting to a computer away from home by TheMusicPirate on 03-28-2008 at 09:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
I'd say your router is probably not configured correctly to let the connection pass to your computer so you will have to forward the right ports correctly.

To answer your next question I've never used NetOp or pcAnywhere, but I personally use VNC software, like RealVNC and TightVNC.

Which probably does almost the same time, but still need the ports forwarded on your router

do you know what ports i would have to forward?

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
Well http://logmein.com is great.

is logmein.com free?
RE: connecting to a computer away from home by Ezra on 03-28-2008 at 09:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TheMusicPirate
    quote:Originally posted by Ezra

Depends on the software you use, but VNC usually uses ports 5900 through 5906, but I would change this to another port to increase security.
RE: RE: connecting to a computer away from home by TheMusicPirate on 03-28-2008 at 09:41 PM

quote:
quote:

Depends on the software you use, but VNC usually uses ports 5900 through 5906, but I would change this to another port to increase security.

what ports do you recommend?
RE: connecting to a computer away from home by Quantum on 03-28-2008 at 10:08 PM

LogMeIn is free, i've used it a lot its the best i have ever used :P

btw, you can upgrade to a pro version.

RE: RE: connecting to a computer away from home by TheMusicPirate on 03-28-2008 at 10:24 PM

quote:

i didnt know that it was a subscription based service. i thought it would be a one time fee, like many programs, like photoshop and such.

RE: RE: connecting to a computer away from home by TheMusicPirate on 03-28-2008 at 10:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ryxdp
My school uses NetOp, and as far as I know it's only for monitoring and controlling machines over LAN/WiFi/anything short-range, but not over the internet, if that's what you want to do.

I'd suggest you use LogMeIn, as john-t has said, I have seen it in action and it is pretty good. Ask roflmao456, I think he uses it.

i've used netop for as long as could remember, but i didnt realize that i had to set up some ports for the program to work,

on the website there is no explaination on what ports to open.

do you think it would be the same ports as other programs
RE: connecting to a computer away from home by Quantum on 03-28-2008 at 10:29 PM

You don't have to subscribe :P The free features are enough :P

RE: RE: connecting to a computer away from home by TheMusicPirate on 03-28-2008 at 10:34 PM

quote:
You don't have to subscribe :P The free features are enough :P

but the pro version allows you remote print
RE: connecting to a computer away from home by Nathan on 03-28-2008 at 10:39 PM

You can use the pro version for free for 30days, if i remember correctly :)

RE: connecting to a computer away from home by Quantum on 03-28-2008 at 10:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
You can use the pro version for free for 30days, if i remember correctly :)

Yeah :P You can print without it:P Using the file manager transfer a bat file to the other pc telling it to print a file :P Then using the remote control open it :P
RE: connecting to a computer away from home by Jarrod on 03-28-2008 at 11:02 PM

quote:
hi,

im  currently at work on my laptop, and i am trying to connect to my pc at home. with a program called NetOp. but it doesnt seem to be able to connect to it.

could it be that my router at home is not allowing outside connections to connect? because when im at home, i can perfectly connect to my pc with no problems.

is there any better software based programs what does the same thing?

thanks

i would like to try to use pcanywhere by norton, but i have so much trouble using it

*cough*google*cough*
http://help.netop.com/support/configuration/firew..._and_firewalls.htm

netop isn't bad but i'm not sure it was designed to work over the internet but it can. the speed would be my concern,
logmein is good, but i find the free version lacking for my needs,
and use some of their pro software remotely anywhere.

quote:
quote:

i found the way to find this is either try and find it in the software, which is specified in an *.ini somewhere,
the other way is make the netop connection then open command prompt and type "netstat",
this will give you a list of current connections your internal ip address and the port will be one of the lines.

quote:
quote:
quote:

what ports do you recommend?

it depends on where you are planning to connect to your netop host from...
if you want to do it from an institution, you may want to run it on a common port like 8080 or 443, because other ports are often blocked,
if not well any port you feel like...eg: 6666, 1337, 7001
or any any other port

quote:

you said that already

[edit:] remotely anywhere allows remote print but isn't exactly free 8-);)

RE: connecting to a computer away from home by andrewdodd13 on 03-28-2008 at 11:19 PM

I personally love VNC. It gives you total control.

If you're stuck trying to forward ports I would recommend taking the time to learn and begin using Hamachi. The free version is more than capable.

RE: connecting to a computer away from home by Jarrod on 03-28-2008 at 11:24 PM

http://portforward.com/routers.htm
has pretty comprehensive tutorials for a number of routers