Shoutbox

Serious XP Problems - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Serious XP Problems (/showthread.php?tid=82804)

Serious XP Problems by Chris4 on 03-30-2008 at 06:30 AM

So.. I messed up my computer (C:\) due to CA Internet Security, because apparently I forgot the admin password for the child protection. So I had to forcefully remove it, but it left behind processes which were still restricting me and after trying to remove them, I was left with no internet at all. So I decided to repair Windows XP.

I got a BSoD during install. I then tried reinstalling XP and also got a BSoD. So now I cannot access my C drive because it tries reinstalling XP every time.

quote:
Originally posted by BSoD
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
I've had no hardware changes, so I can't see how it is that.

So.. I installed Windows XP on my other hard drive (D:\) which I am now on. I have backed up everything I need which was on C:\ to my D:\ drive.

So I thought I would format my C:\ drive (delete everything) then install a fresh copy of XP on it. Did that work? No. I can't format C drive from My Computer, it says it is unable to format it. I then try using my Windows XP CD to format it and I get a BSoD.

So.. basically my only option right now is to delete everything from the C:\ drive .. which I can't do.

Any ideas as to how I can format it, or other options?
RE: Serious XP Problems by Mike on 03-30-2008 at 06:47 AM

You probably can't format your C: drive because the bootsector/bootloader is located in there.

Anyway, have you tried GParted to format the HDD?
Download the LiveCD, burn it to a disk, and boot from it.

RE: Serious XP Problems by scott2010_h on 03-30-2008 at 06:50 AM

You can use a LiveCD with Gparted to format or partition your harddrive.
Download the 'gparted-livecd-0.3.4-11.iso' from http://download.tuxfamily.org/gpartedlive/ and burn it to a cd. Then boot from the cd.

RE: Serious XP Problems by Chris4 on 03-30-2008 at 07:36 AM

Thanks! I formatted it successfully, however that has lead me to another problem. I'm posting from my PSP because now that I no longer have a primary drive in use it says there is nothing to boot on startup. My D drive doesn't appear in the bios boot order so I can't boot windows from it. :(

edit: oh nevermind, I'm meant to be installing XP on C:\ aren't I. :p

RE: Serious XP Problems by Mike on 03-30-2008 at 10:01 AM

Like I said, the bootsector and the bootloader were probably stored in your C: partition, and they got deleted when you formatted.
You could probably enter the following commands in the Windows XP recovery console to make your computer boot again:

code:
fixmbr
fixboot C:
bootcfg /rebuild
But I'm not sure if that would work... :P
RE: Serious XP Problems by Chris4 on 03-30-2008 at 10:20 PM

I installed XP fine, thanks anyway :).

I have a 300GB hard drive (which I wasn't actually aware of, as the partition only allows 127GB when I set it to max) so when I went in the partitions I was suprised to see so much unused space. Apparenly XP finds it hard to recognise a bigger hard drive, is that correct? I've now set up the 170GB of unused space as another partition, so it's F: drive.

RE: Serious XP Problems by ShawnZ on 03-30-2008 at 10:32 PM

Mike: you don't think windows does that automatically during an installation? users obviously aren't expected to know how to install a bootloader themselves. also, he couldn't format c:\ from within windows because... you know, windows is still running?

Chris4: you couldn't format C:\ because everything you see on your screen, including the format utility itself, is rendered by software running off of c:\. if you formatted it, how would the software be able to delete itself?

also, no. you can easily make a partition as large as 17179869184 GB if you had the space available.

RE: Serious XP Problems by Mike on 03-30-2008 at 10:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Mike: you don't think windows does that during an installation? also, he couldn't format c:\ from within windows because... you know, windows is still running?
I was talking about the time that he had finished formatting and hadn't reinstalled Windows :P
RE: Serious XP Problems by ShawnZ on 03-30-2008 at 10:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
Mike: you don't think windows does that during an installation? also, he couldn't format c:\ from within windows because... you know, windows is still running?
I was talking about the time that he had finished formatting and hadn't reinstalled Windows :P

well in that case, each hard drive has its own bootloader. :p
RE: Serious XP Problems by Chris4 on 04-01-2008 at 07:00 PM

quote:
Chris4: you couldn't format C:\ because everything you see on your screen, including the format utility itself, is rendered by software running off of c:\. if you formatted it, how would the software be able to delete itself?
I was on my D:\ drive.. like I said.. because my C:\ drive wasn't working, so I wanted to format it. :happy: