Shoutbox

really dodgy windows problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: really dodgy windows problem (/showthread.php?tid=82887)

really dodgy windows problem by Jarrod on 04-02-2008 at 06:35 AM

my friend has a del laptop, running windows xp, it's second hand and the looser who he bought it off didn't reset any of the passwords,
so the situation is:

• windows xp pro's built in amin account has a password which we don't know
  • there are no accounts which we know the password to
  • the laptop has no floppy
  • and an external cd
  • the boot sequence is network, hdd, usb
  • the bios has a password too

well we've come to the conclusion that we have the following options,
  • some how setup a network boot
  • use some uber hack to reset all the passwords
  • or some how get the hdd into another pc and wipe it, then copy bartpe on to it and work from there

nb: the hdd he tells me has a connector ribbion resembling that used in an ipod

also he tried to short circuit the cmos pins to reset the password, he didn't blow it up, but it didn't work either

any ideas,
i know it sounds like an unlikely scenario, but it happened,
and don't tell me to call the guy he bought it off, we did he said "get fcked"

RE: really dodgy windows problem by ShawnZ on 04-02-2008 at 06:52 AM

you could use an ntpasswd CD to change passwords of users...

RE: really dodgy windows problem by Jarrod on 04-02-2008 at 07:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
you could use an ntpasswd CD to change passwords of users...
we did already think of that the cd drive is not in the boot order and we have no floppy drive

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod

• some how setup a network boot
  • use some uber hack to reset all the passwords
  • or some how get the hdd into another pc and wipe it, then copy bartpe on to it and work from there

RE: really dodgy windows problem by andrewdodd13 on 04-02-2008 at 10:05 AM

If resetting the CMOS didn't work (which is unusual, though I've never seen that done on a laptop) then you could just take the hard drive out the laptop, get a 2.5" adaptor or enclosure for it, and use ntpasswd on it in another computer.

I believe there are tools out there which can be used to hack open Dell BIOS, not sure however how effective they are.

RE: really dodgy windows problem by Aardvark on 04-02-2008 at 10:09 AM

Start > Run > control userpasswords2
Under Password for Administrator click Rest Password
That should solve at least one of their problems

RE: really dodgy windows problem by Th3rmal on 04-02-2008 at 10:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
i dont think he can actually log into any account...
RE: really dodgy windows problem by Jarrod on 04-02-2008 at 10:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
If resetting the CMOS didn't work (which is unusual, though I've never seen that done on a laptop) then you could just take the hard drive out the laptop, get a 2.5" adaptor or enclosure for it, and use ntpasswd on it in another computer.

I believe there are tools out there which can be used to hack open Dell BIOS, not sure however how effective they are.

yeah i want to try do it cos knowing him he didn't do it right, but he's happy to get an adapter, we just didn't know which ones to get so we'll give it a try.
as for the bios tools we have no way to use them, really we either need to network boot or move the hdd we'll probally just move the hdd, if we do that we'll just format it instead of resetting the passwords...

just out of curiosity how do we network boot?

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
i dont think he can actually log into any account...
my friend if it was that easy, where would the fun be

------------------------------
if you can log it the task is simple,
log in, hack bios password from windows, change the boot order use windows key and reset the admin password, logon as admin i know how to ace passwords with an interface i just needed help getting the interface:P
RE: really dodgy windows problem by Jesus on 04-02-2008 at 12:10 PM

use the ultimate deployment appliance to (re)install the OS. Run it as a Virtual Machine on another PC and boot it over the network.
then you have your interface to solve your bios password problem ;)

RE: really dodgy windows problem by Spunky on 04-02-2008 at 02:27 PM

The BIOS  (nearly) always has a back door password. I'm sure you can get a list of them on the internet somewhere for the laptops make (BIOS make). Once in change the boot order and format with a Windows CD

RE: really dodgy windows problem by Quantum on 04-02-2008 at 03:42 PM

Try using the password Dell to get into the BIOS it's a known backdoor for most dell's.

RE: really dodgy windows problem by Dane on 04-02-2008 at 04:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
Try using the password Dell to get into the BIOS it's a known backdoor for most dell's.
A password is not a backdoors; its simply a password.

Anyway, if you're trying to get into the BIOS of a desktop with absolutely no luck, pulling the little watch battery out of the motherboard and putting it back in resets the BIOS, but dont forget to reset the date/time and all that jazz.
RE: really dodgy windows problem by matty on 04-02-2008 at 04:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
quote:
Originally posted by john-t
A password is not a backdoors; its simply a password.

Anyway, if you're trying to get into the BIOS of a desktop with absolutely no luck, pulling the little watch battery out of the motherboard and putting it back in resets the BIOS, but dont forget to reset the date/time and all that jazz.
It is a laptop not a desktop. So unless you are taking it apart you dont have easy access to the battery.

Can you press like F8 or F12 or some key that will allow you to select a boot device?

The only other solution I could think of would be to get an IDE to USB adapter ($20) connect the Harddrive over USB and use VMWare to boot the drive. You need to allow VMWare to access the entire device not just a Virtual Disk. Once you have this you may be able to boot from an NTPassword Boot CD and reset the passwords.

It is worth a shot other then that I have no idea.
RE: really dodgy windows problem by foaly on 04-02-2008 at 10:44 PM

quote:
or some how get the hdd into another pc and wipe it, then copy bartpe on to it and work from there
That would be pointless. If you consider disconnecting the hdd from the laptop just disconnect it, let the laptop boot from the cd and connect it again.
RE: really dodgy windows problem by andrewdodd13 on 04-02-2008 at 11:11 PM

Network booting can be achieved by setting up a "Netboot Server" on another PC. See this

Afraid I've never used it before.

RE: really dodgy windows problem by MeEtc on 04-03-2008 at 12:08 AM

try the utility shown here:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd
it claims it can decrypt passwords from many brand-name computer BIOS's

RE: really dodgy windows problem by Jesus on 04-03-2008 at 12:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
...and now to find a way to run it :P

oh wait... that was his problem in the first place ;)
RE: really dodgy windows problem by Jarrod on 04-03-2008 at 05:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
i want to reset the bios password not decrypt it, i'm knoledgable enough to know how to reset bios passwords(password reminder):P)
atm i'm checking out this network boot thing

also i don't think backdoor bios passwords have beed used since the 80's
___________________________________-
edit: i have the vm jesus suggested, any detailed tutorial on how to use it?

RE: really dodgy windows problem by Jesus on 04-03-2008 at 01:49 PM

quote:
edit: i have the vm jesus suggested, any detailed tutorial on how to use it?
this is a youtube video tutorial on how to set up the basics.
After completing this you should have a web interface to the UDA which is more or less self-explanatory.
Basically you have to provide it with one (or more) ISOs to boot from.

You'll also have to set up a PXE boot environment (if you haven't done so already) which will most likely require you to replace your current DHCP server with a more advanced one with PXE (tFTP) support. This can also be achieved in a temporary network existing of just the pc running the VM (and the DHCP server) and the laptop, to prevent conflicts with your current DHCP solution.

If this seems like a lot of work to you, you might be better off buying a USB IDE interface and plugging the drive into another PC.
RE: really dodgy windows problem by ipab on 04-03-2008 at 02:52 PM

honestly matty these days the CMOS battery is generally located such a way that it is easily replacable... Just pop open the panel where you can replace ram and check there, if not check where the wifi card is located... Just make sure to pull the power cable out, the battery out and once you have done both hit the power switch on the laptop before you go excavating in your laptop.

RE: really dodgy windows problem by Jesus on 04-03-2008 at 03:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
honestly matty these days the CMOS battery is generally located such a way that it is easily replacable... Just pop open the panel where you can replace ram and check there, if not check where the wifi card is located... Just make sure to pull the power cable out, the battery out and once you have done both hit the power switch on the laptop before you go excavating in your laptop.
problem is, that probably won't work on laptops...
quote:
Originally posted by http://www.pwcrack.com/bios.shtml
Most laptop manufacturers have provided additional safeguards for their computers. We are not aware of any simple BIOS recovery program that works on laptops, nor are we aware of any simple backdoor passwords for these machines. BIOS passwords in most laptops are stored in a special chip on the motherboard and the only way to bypass this password is to replace this laptop security chip. Laptop BIOS passwords cannot be bypassed or reset by removing or shorting the CMOS battery. Further, doing this may cause other system errors and complicate the recovery or your system.

RE: really dodgy windows problem by ipab on 04-03-2008 at 04:50 PM

Well, to be completely honest with you, I've done it on several laptops to this date (damn irritating customers thinking they are clever by changing the windows password along with the bios password). HPs seem to be the ones that have them really easily accessible. As for Toshiba laptops, they tend to have the batteries soldered onto the boards. Not so sure about Dells but at this point, for him, it is worth a shot...

The last attempt would be to take the computer to a repair shop, they tend to have the tools (it's a hardware thing) that they can then use to reset the bios password. If you look online, you might find out how to make it, again, I'm not sure about dells, but it's an avenue worth looking into.

RE: really dodgy windows problem by Jarrod on 04-04-2008 at 06:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
Well, to be completely honest with you, I've done it on several laptops to this date (damn irritating customers thinking they are clever by changing the windows password along with the bios password). HPs seem to be the ones that have them really easily accessible. As for Toshiba laptops, they tend to have the batteries soldered onto the boards. Not so sure about Dells but at this point, for him, it is worth a shot...

The last attempt would be to take the computer to a repair shop, they tend to have the tools (it's a hardware thing) that they can then use to reset the bios password. If you look online, you might find out how to make it, again, I'm not sure about dells, but it's an avenue worth looking into.

well he rekons the batteries are under some plastic shit and hard to get out, yeah i under stand the network boot and am on my way to watch the vid, the laptop has been configured to use PXE and i'm thinking i'll need to emulate the settings it already uses... he told me to day when i suggested a 2.5" replacement hdd he said it was actually 1.8" and used a connection which i can't quite remember the name of it but was u"something"...

and to be honest i don't think usb is in the boot sequence, we put a (working) external cd drive in there, it spins up as soon as we power it up then it just spins down

[edit:] after watching the youtube vid, they use vmware server, so i need server? or can i get away with workstation?
RE: RE: really dodgy windows problem by andrewdodd13 on 04-04-2008 at 08:47 AM

quote:
well he rekons the batteries are under some plastic shit and hard to get out, yeah i under stand the network boot and am on my way to watch the vid, the laptop has been configured to use PXE and i'm thinking i'll need to emulate the settings it already uses... he told me to day when i suggested a 2.5" replacement hdd he said it was actually 1.8" and used a connection which i can't quite remember the name of it but was u"something"...

and to be honest i don't think usb is in the boot sequence, we put a (working) external cd drive in there, it spins up as soon as we power it up then it just spins down

[edit:] after watching the youtube vid, they use vmware server, so i need server? or can i get away with workstation?
3 things:

1) You can get an external 1.8" USB enclosure off Amazon, I paid £13 for mine when my Zen Touch died. Worked a treat - until the hard drive died about 3 months later.

2) VMWare Workstation is actually better than VMWare Server. VMWare Server is free, and does not support sharing folders. Apart from that, there's negligible difference. (Except for the fact that Server is 100mb dl, WS is around 300).

3) It seems odd that USB wouldn't be in the boot sequence. However this may mean USB flash drive, there may be other options for USB-CD, USB-FDD either (I know my desktop has these at least).

Something else just came to mind... some laptops you can press <Esc> when it's booting, this will allow you to "change" the boot order. Even if there's a password, doing so will generally let you press enter on a device and let you boot straight to that. It only works for devices activate in the BIOS, though.
RE: really dodgy windows problem by Jesus on 04-04-2008 at 11:16 AM

quote:
Something else just came to mind... some laptops you can press <Esc> when it's booting, this will allow you to "change" the boot order. Even if there's a password, doing so will generally let you press enter on a device and let you boot straight to that. It only works for devices activate in the BIOS, though.
The key to press for the boot menu depends on the laptop manufacturer. Some may use Esc, my MSI uses F11, and a bit of googling taught me Dell seems to use F12.
RE: RE: RE: really dodgy windows problem by Jarrod on 04-04-2008 at 11:39 AM

quote:
quote:

3 things:

1) You can get an external 1.8" USB enclosure off Amazon, I paid £13 for mine when my Zen Touch died. Worked a treat - until the hard drive died about 3 months later.

2) VMWare Workstation is actually better than VMWare Server. VMWare Server is free, and does not support sharing folders. Apart from that, there's negligible difference. (Except for the fact that Server is 100mb dl, WS is around 300).

3) It seems odd that USB wouldn't be in the boot sequence. However this may mean USB flash drive, there may be other options for USB-CD, USB-FDD either (I know my desktop has these at least).

might try the keypress, also I know for sure it doesn't boot off the usb-cd even if we force it by removing all other boot devices
RE: really dodgy windows problem by Adeptus on 04-04-2008 at 01:45 PM

The correct password reset methods for laptops are very model specific (e.g. short two points on the main board somewhere, often accessible through the memory slot cover or by removing the keyboard), are described in the service manuals, and most service manuals are on the net.  It would help to know what brand and model this laptop is.

Failing that, by far the easiest thing to do would be to remove the hard drive, connect it to another computer and use ntpasswd to reset the Windows administrator password.  Hard drives in laptops are designed to be easily removed -- often just one or two screws securing a slide tray.  Once you can get into Windows, you can find some software to reset the BIOS password.

You can put the drive in another laptop for resetting the password, or temporarily connect it to a desktop.  If the laptop's hard drive is IDE, it will need an adapter to connect it to a desktop (2.5" IDE drives use a different connector).  If it is SATA, it should be fine the way it is.

On a final note, you might want to have a chat with your friend about buying stolen goods.  That's the usual scenario where these kinds of situations come up.  It's hard to imagine any reason why a former owner selling his own laptop would refuse to remove or disclose passwords -- the thing is probably hot and the seller won't help you because he doesn't know.

RE: RE: really dodgy windows problem by Jarrod on 04-04-2008 at 08:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
The correct password reset methods for laptops are very model specific (e.g. short two points on the main board somewhere, often accessible through the memory slot cover or by removing the keyboard), are described in the service manuals, and most service manuals are on the net.  It would help to know what brand and model this laptop is.

Failing that, by far the easiest thing to do would be to remove the hard drive, connect it to another computer and use ntpasswd to reset the Windows administrator password.  Hard drives in laptops are designed to be easily removed -- often just one or two screws securing a slide tray.  Once you can get into Windows, you can find some software to reset the BIOS password.

You can put the drive in another laptop for resetting the password, or temporarily connect it to a desktop.  If the laptop's hard drive is IDE, it will need an adapter to connect it to a desktop (2.5" IDE drives use a different connector).  If it is SATA, it should be fine the way it is.

On a final note, you might want to have a chat with your friend about buying stolen goods.  That's the usual scenario where these kinds of situations come up.  It's hard to imagine any reason why a former owner selling his own laptop would refuse to remove or disclose passwords -- the thing is probably hot and the seller won't help you because he doesn't know.

most of this has already been said, i just found the model number, it's a dell latitude d430 d series . it's an ex-university laptop and yes it is likely stolen.