Shoutbox

Plus! Profile - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Plus! Profile (/showthread.php?tid=82925)

Plus! Profile by Basilis on 04-03-2008 at 08:02 PM

This idea came up to mind while I was coming back from school. It would be very nice if the contacts in the contact list that use Plus! had a profile. I mean they could write what they wanted in it and also some information. It could be a window that they could easily edit (maybe it would come up with a guide) or a standard window that they could just type in (both would be ChildTemplates). They could write their favorite food or even their school grades. I don't know if this is a good suggestion and if it can be implemented. I am creating a window at this moment and I will attach it  to let you know how it could look like.

RE: Plus! Profile by MeEtc on 04-03-2008 at 08:24 PM

1. Thats what the contact card is for.
2. There would be no way for Plus to update that information for a user, without sending a special command through the chat window (unless you update it yourself, and then it becomes pointless)

RE: Plus! Profile by Basilis on 04-03-2008 at 09:33 PM

The contact card has other information that the one I suggest. I agree that it would be hard to have such a feature. Anyway, here is what it would look like

RE: Plus! Profile by Volv on 04-04-2008 at 01:40 AM

Seems like a nice idea, but cant you just check your contacts' MSN profile page?

RE: Plus! Profile by Basilis on 04-04-2008 at 12:44 PM

Many contacts do not have one and also I think it would be much nicer if it was done by Plus! since it would be much more organised

RE: Plus! Profile by Spunky on 04-04-2008 at 01:46 PM

IMO Plus! should find a way to send protocol messages. Custom messages are ignored by the client, but Plus! could interpret them to allow things like this to happen

RE: Plus! Profile by ahmetgns on 04-06-2008 at 11:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
but cant you just check your contacts' MSN profile page?
quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
Many contacts do not have one ...
Then why do they use this Plus! Profile thing?

I think new Windows Live profile serves all of these things. Even you can subscribe for the updates or when they update it, you can see the gleam next to their names in contact list. The only thing which I don't like is that, even if I write some personal notes in my "Contact Information" page of my profile like my grades, those writings aren't being updated on my contacts' sides who subscribed to my contact updates. Let someone who cares it, request it from Windows live team.

RE: Plus! Profile by CookieRevised on 04-06-2008 at 07:14 PM

Indeed, why would people, who don't use the build-in profile ability of Windows Live, use the profile page from Plus!?

All that it would do is add yet another page which people need to fill in, while there is already the exact same thing.

As for sending messages via the protocol, dunno,. Patchou has said in the past he wont do that. Biggest reason being that you could screw things up with that. The protocol might ignore custom messages right now, but it might not do so anymore in futur versions, or whatever change might occur in the futur. Tampering with the protocol like that isn't such a good idea. Sniffing existing messages is one thing, but activly sending stuff is something entirly different. It would be another reason for people to complain; "Plus! fuxored my WLM connection"...

RE: Plus! Profile by Patchou on 04-11-2008 at 03:02 PM

Added to that, I don't want Microsoft to send me an invoice for the bandwidth I'd use ;).

Windows Live Messenger has its own profile window, I suggest you all use it, that's why the profile stuff from Plus! 3 was removed too.