Shoutbox

An attempt to stop skin ripping - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: An attempt to stop skin ripping (/showthread.php?tid=82955)

An attempt to stop skin ripping by Willz on 04-05-2008 at 04:25 AM

Well on a regular basis I get alerted of people taking my skins and just modifying an image or two and then trying to re-release it as their own work. It is a problem that most of the experienced skinners are getting and quite frankly it is getting annoying.

While we do normally get a good laugh at some of them, for the most part it just annoys us. We put a lot of time and effort into our work so that we may share our creations with the public and it is really frustrating to see someone just disrespect the effort we have made by just taking our work and using it without permission or crediting.

One thing skin rippers do not know is the fact that skins there were created based on another skin unauthorized will not be allowed into the skins database. So it is a waste of time for those wanting to have something in the database.

Now I do understand that skinning is quite difficult as there is no real base to work off and you have to first extract resources and make UIFiles work the way they should. In my early days there where numerous times where I wanted to give up and it was difficult to get a result that worked. But of course editing another persons skin is not the answer as you will never learn anything and could possibly be open to people starting a flame war with you.

Now I wrote the skinning guides in an attempt to squash skin ripping, but of course it is not working as well as it should. I am starting to see that the majority of skin ripping that is occurring is being done by people who know nothing about xml, css or skinning and are too afraid/lazy to try and learn it.

So I am going to work to release everyone a skin in which they can base their skin on, it will essentially be an open source skin that will contain Windows Live Messenger's graphics, but they will be restructured to make things easier for people. It will be multi-version compatible and will be less restricted in the sense that MSNRLE dependency will be non existent. On top of that I will be coding in pre-translated options to make things available to people who do not speak English.

I am hoping that in making this skin, it will help combat the rising problem in skin ripping. With the Messenger Plus! skinning contest coming soon, the last thing I want to see is thousands of skin rips entering the database.

Of course with this skin there will be restrictions, in order to use the skin you must keep the credit that appears in the skin. This credit simply thanks all those involved (myself and my translation team).

Anyway I am hoping this will lift the standard of skins and will make skin ripping non-existent.

Thoughts and comments on this are appreciated. I would like to hear input on those who would be interested in seeing this happen. Please keep in mind its going to be a long road to get this working, so please be patient.

Status updates of the project will be posted via http://designevolved.net and I will be checking both this page and the one on the design evolved forums for comments etc.

Willz

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Th3rmal on 04-05-2008 at 04:30 AM

I hope this works because i too would be annoyed if someone were to take my work, change some pieces of it and name it their own. This is something that must be combated, and good on you for trying your best, i hope things work out like you want them to.

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Eddie on 04-05-2008 at 06:56 AM

I agree with you that skin ripping should not occur, i tried to skin myself but i gave up, didn't have the time or the patience for it at the time, will possibly try again soon, i also agree with you releasing an open source skin as a new gateway for people to get into it without ripping off others :)

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by markee on 04-05-2008 at 07:07 AM

I think when you make this that it should be included with plus! or as an optional download when looking at the skinning preferences (like the skinning documentation).

This is one of the best ideas I have heard in a long time, good work (y)

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Nagamasa on 04-05-2008 at 11:56 AM

Me a victim of skin ripping :)

And yay, time for me to explore some new features :P

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Volv on 04-05-2008 at 03:12 PM

It's a good idea in theory but I dont think it will work.
The skin-rippers will still be too lazy to build something of their own even if they have the basis with which to do it, and the skinners who actually want to learn will be bred into a group of skinners which are dependent on this base skin to create everything and will inadvertently limit creativity and originality within the community.

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by ShawnZ on 04-05-2008 at 03:16 PM

maybe there could be some "mods" system that lets people modify existing skins and only distribute the differences? then the original author would be credited, people new to writing skins could have a good base to start theirs on, and if somebody didn't like a part of a skin, they could change (and even distribute the change) without modifying the original. it's win-win-win

[Image: attachment.php?pid=900616]

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Nathan on 04-05-2008 at 03:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
maybe there could be some "mods" system that lets people modify existing skins and only distribute the differences? then the original author would be credited, people new to writing skins could have a good base to start theirs on, and if somebody didn't like a part of a skin, they could change (and even distribute the change) without modifying the original. it's win-win-win

[Image: attachment.php?pid=900616]
I'm with shawnz!
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Spunky on 04-05-2008 at 03:26 PM

Good idea, but I don't know how hard it would be to implement

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by ShawnZ on 04-05-2008 at 03:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
Good idea, but I don't know how hard it would be to implement

who cares? it's patchou's problem \o/
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Volv on 04-05-2008 at 03:34 PM

I quite like Shawnz' idea too (Y)
The only problem is you're essentially creating a skin of a skin which seems a bit dodgy :p

Also, I don't really see how this would really deter/prevent people from ripping skins, but it is a good suggestion never the less.

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by ShawnZ on 04-05-2008 at 03:35 PM

well if they want to rip a skin, its usually because they really like parts of it but want to change others, and this lets them do that without ripping anything

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Basilis on 04-05-2008 at 04:07 PM

Very good idea ShawnZ. I am with you!

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Menthix on 04-05-2008 at 04:11 PM

A mod for a skin for a add-on for a messenger huh? I don't know, not feeling that personally. I can imagine there are skinners who wouldn't like people modifying their creations, it's the opposite of what Willz is trying to achieve.

If you like to modify a skin for personal use there's nobody stopping you, and if you think your modification is really great you can contact the original creator about it. But if people were to release modifications of existing skins, how does that promote creativity and originality?

Also, by far most of the rips couldn't really be called a modification of the original skin. It's usually a completely different looking skin but based on the original skin's XML/DLL files with images from the original skin left here and there... most of the times done badly because (no offense) many of these skinners aren't sure what they're doing and haven't really read documentation. Would the original creators really like to see some random rip as a "modification" to their original work and have rippers continue to work without learning anything? Or would you rather see these rippers base their skins on a clean core where they are told why things are done a certain way and how to do skinning properly in a practival way?

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Basilis on 04-05-2008 at 04:23 PM

I agree with MenthiX but ShawnZ has a point. His suggestion would help avoid what Volv wisely said, that this skin Willz is creating would stop new skinners from being creative based all in the same skin

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Cherry_Blossom on 04-05-2008 at 06:59 PM

I think its a great idea. mainly coz i want a skin but its all gobbledegok to me but can make graphics. I just cant believe people would think they could get away with ripping u lot off argh! If you do make this i would be so grateful x

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by blessedguy on 04-05-2008 at 08:43 PM

what? Skin mods?
ok...but i disagree with this idea. Why in the world would we make it easier for lazy ppl to copy our work, rather than just blocking them from doing it?

Willz idea is pretty good, but i don't know if it is really going to work, but i think we should give it a change, who knows...
but, like basilis said, all skins would be based in one skin...and this wouldn't be really good at al.

Let's face it... skin ripping is almost a "Problem without solution", even DLLs can't stop rippers...unfortunately...
wouldn't a "Report Ripping" button in the database be better?

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Nagamasa on 04-05-2008 at 08:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
or just have MenthiX do a quick check on the files and stuff? :P

I can tell which skin is ripped from Willz...and of course ripped from me...every skinner has their own unique style of organizing things and making things work. And don't forget, some rippers use identical file names in their skin (chronos.png: I doubt anyone would copy that :P).
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by ResourcE on 04-05-2008 at 09:12 PM

Hey .. HI to all

I gotta tell this to all of you guys ...
It's eating my mind,i can't keep it in me anymore .
I would be thankful if you don't ban my account,but i gotta tell that i "was" a Skin Ripper,my First CS Skin,was made by overwriting the Life of Vista's images (which is made by Ethan a.k.a Nagamasa),he knows that and he asked me to give a credit to him,which i forgot :S ,anyway,i have sent an e-mail  to the skins database to include him as an author ...

Hope you all will forgive me for the stupidness that i have done,and i swear that i am not making that anymore,my next skin i'm working on is completely done by ME. I ask to all of you "guys" (loooool aNILEator :)) for forgiveness cause every man can make a mistake . But also can regret for the job that he has done :S

And,i'm not affraid not even lazy to learn how to make a skin,in fact i wanna know everything about computers even hacking :)

But please forgive me for the "SIN" i have made :(

I ASK FOR FORGIVENESS :S:(

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by CookieRevised on 04-05-2008 at 09:13 PM

Willz (h5)(h5)

But I don't see how such a basic skin will stop creativity as some have suggested.

In fact, I think it will increase it, since the learning curve will again be lower with the aid of this basic skin. People who want to learn skinning and want to dive into it right away can use this skin. If they can't do what they want to do with this basic skin they can easly read the documentation. And because they have a working example, it would be even easier to understand I think.

People who are bolder can start with nothing, just like it is now. And be creative all they want. Nothing is stopping them.

quote:
Originally posted by markee
I think when you make this that it should be included with plus! or as an optional download when looking at the skinning preferences (like the skinning documentation).
Eventhough I certainly don't doubt Willz skillz, I personally don't want to see it included in Plus!. It is still not something everybody will use. And why including this and not something else? If it is included, there are way more things which "should" be included, imho.
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Menthix on 04-05-2008 at 09:37 PM

quote:
You know where to contact me.
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by blessedguy on 04-05-2008 at 09:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
You know where to contact me.
we know where to...but people who just donwload the skins?
anyway...that was just a suggestion
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Menthix on 04-05-2008 at 09:57 PM

People who just download skins generally wont report a skin rip or have a clue what that even means. I thought about it for a while, but figured most people will just use it for requesting support, asking how to install skins, and any other purpose except reporting an actual rip or problem. The people who are the experts on this, you guys as skinners, know where to contact me, and other people who really care will find their way to the forum or contact the original creator directly.

Thanks for the suggestion though, i didn't mean to burn it down.

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by blessedguy on 04-05-2008 at 10:01 PM

quote:
People who just download skins generally wont report a skin rip or have a clue what that even means. I thought about it for a while, but figured most people will just use it for requesting support, asking how to install skins, and any other purpose except reporting an actual rip or problem. The people who are the experts on this, you guys as skinners, know where to contact me, and other people who really care will find their way to the forum or contact the original creator directly.

Thanks for the suggestion though, i didn't mean to burn it down.
Take it EZ, you didn't burn it down.
but what you're saying is true! =O
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by aNILEator on 04-05-2008 at 10:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ResourcE
I ask to all of you gays for forgiveness
The majority of us are not homosexual. :dodgy: :P </joke>

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

In fact, I think it will increase it, since the learning curve will again be lower with the aid of this basic skin. People who want to learn skinning and want to dive into it right away can use this skin. If they can't do what they want to do with this basic skin they can easly read the documentation. And because they have a working example, it would be even easier to understand I think.

Yes but the way Willz is suggesting will use some very advanced/long winded work-a-rounds for the RLE issues. Defining all those states in the styles etc for _multi RLE's (bearing in mind messenger uses at least 3 different tags to do the same thing, but some only work on some elements others not, (another proof of Microsoft's 'consistency' to it's own systems and standards 8-)) ) Something that I don't think new skinners will notice or understand should they start a skin from scratch, and there is no way anyone can expect Willz to document every change and explain how it works, that's just ludicrous and would be sooo long and technical/boring no one would bother to read it fully or take it in.

I myself have been working on a Template skin, that would use the original resources, with similar purpose in mind to what Willz has proposed, but I really just think I may as well delete it, and weeks of work, now seeing as willz is just going to go ahead and do it instead. 8-)

Although Willz is a good friend and contact of mine I do get pretty annoyed/depressed with his eliteness and skins, mostly because everything will always get compared to his works and people will want his options, his quality, his turnaround, and will always go for the 'willz' skin over some other, and anything less than that will be seen as inferior, and thus get slated or rated badly for something as petty as a custom options panel (or lack there of).

Guess it's just jealousy, although saying that I don't have those feelings about Zer0-G, Ev0-3 or Iron Man. *-)
RE: RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Willz on 04-05-2008 at 11:26 PM

quote:
I can imagine there are skinners who wouldn't like people modifying their creations, it's the opposite of what Willz is trying to achieve. /quote]

Yeah I totally do not like this "skin mod" idea :P because If we do allow mods it will simply open the door to people just adding in a crappy image that does not suit our skins into the skin and then releasing it. Menthix has several examples of these mods gone horribly wrong, I'm sure he'd be glad to show you some :P

If the mod idea were to be implemented I'd simply quit skinning, remove my skins and call it a day :P

Like Ev0, Iron Man and Zero-G are my own homegrown designs (Zero-G was with mk as well but yeah) and I spent a lot of time and effort to get it that polished. Its like my own work of art sort of and I really want it to stay the way I made it. Its sort of like saying "hey I don't like the mona lisa, how about you let me paint something on top of it to what I think is better :)"

Ok maybe not that extreme but you get the idea. The point of this skin is to get people who do not know xml and css to be able to create skins easily without having to resort to editing other skins.

To people complaining that it will restrict creativity...... I'm sorry but thats a load of crap. Editing a skin an existing skin with just a single image replace is way more uncreative than editing a skin based on the original WLM. People who don't know css and xml will always go the easiest way out, nothing will change that but at least I can make it so they leave other peoples work alone.

The people who are interested in skinning will expand on what this skin has and will most likely not stick to what I have put down. It's not as if theres a lock on the skin that goes "I'm sorry but you can't add anything else you must stick to what I have put here kthxbai"

One thing I see this skin being used for is its precoded options, people can start a skin without having to worry to code in settings (unless theres some special ones they want). It saves people time and skins can be released more frequent.

There is only one way to hide a button in WLM..... so I don't think people can be much more creative with that :P. I've gotten lots of positive feedback as it is already so I know I'm on the right track. I do agree with cookierevised, this should not be included with Plus because as he said not everyone will skin.

lol and Nile :P you know the saying if you cant beat em join em ;)

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by aNILEator on 04-05-2008 at 11:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Willz
lol and Nile (Smilie) you know the saying if you cant beat em join em (Smilie)
Shush, I already know our convo's :P the world needn't. :-#
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by ResourcE on 04-06-2008 at 08:42 AM

I agree with Willz & aNILEator and LOL,i made a mistake ,instead of typing "guys ive typed "gays" looooooool :P

And,aNILEator,you need to know that i will always support you,and will support anyone that will help people understand the skinning better,no matter is he Willz or aNILEator or Basilis or someone else.

But,i ask you Willz and aNILEator :

DO NOT RELEASE that template !!!(or what is it ^o)) for making skins easily . Its not interesting then ,you just replace the images ... and DONE

The fun is when you do all from the beginning ,the testing ,the work,the hours past in front of the PC ,the search throughout "style" and "definition" files , and of course ,the most interessting :P :

"The crashing of WLM when you did something wrong":P

I know all of these cause , I "was" a Skin Ripper,which I'm not know ,and i know what is to do your skin from the beginning and to do it just with replacing images :S

My next skin which is well .. almost done,it's made just by me with no skin ripping :D:);)

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Aardvark on 04-06-2008 at 08:55 AM

Hmm somehow I don't think this will stop people from skin ripping - however it may stop a few. I myself might be guilty of "skin ripping" - if I'm using a skin I like but there are several resources which I find a bit dodgy I may go to the effort to remove those resources and go with the messenger default, but I in no way shape or form "release" the skin, in fact I don't even package it again for my own installation later on (which would probably be a good idea).

Anyway, I agree that if it's a ripped skin, don't accept it into the database. But if that's not enough, create some sort of watermark in the skin which can't be removed as to preserve the integrity of the original creator, and perhaps if the skin has been tampered with the watermark will state it has been so. That's probably not very feasible but I still think it's worth mentioning.

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by ResourcE on 04-06-2008 at 09:05 AM

I have an IDEA !!! :D

If we can only make somehow the
<Name>xxxxx</Name>
  <Description>yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy<Description>
    <AboutUrl>http://zzzzzzzzzzzz</AboutUrl>

non-changeable,then,the ripping would be stopped about 90% :D and the name of the author will be still there so the ripper can't release it :D

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Willz on 04-06-2008 at 09:11 AM

Yeah advanced watermarks..... don't think its going to happen :P its like technically impossible with what we have.

I think people are expecting that I will be releasing a skin where all to work has been done. Its not really like that, all I am doing is keeping the WLM default look but removing the dependency on MSNRLE and adding in simple things which most people know how to do with ease already.

If people are thinking that its going to be like advanced with things you see in Zero-G or WAM well I'm sorry to burst your bubble but its not going to be like that.

For people to do something unique they will still have to work for it. The default WLM look is all the skin will be with things edited to be in a more meaningful way (e.g one window border that is used in every window rather than two).

Like I've said before, this will be aimed at those who don't know css and xml and don't want to learn. It is mainly those people who rip. If experienced skinners don't want to use it its their choice, nobody is forcing them to use it.

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Aardvark on 04-06-2008 at 09:45 AM

quote:

<Name>xxxxx</Name>

non-changeable,then,the ripping would be stopped about 90% :D and the name of the author will be still there so the ripper can't release it :D
The problem is that would (most likely) be in the xml file - but the person who is ripping the resources may just extract them from the skin and insert them into the one they are building, rendering the xml file that's been "copy written" useless.

If watermarks are impossible with what we have, what if the skinning engine was updated to provide these watermarks on the files - then again would it really be worth it? And how visible would these watermarks be. I personally Don't want the words "Willz - designevolved.net" written all over my conversations. :P It would be some good advertising though!
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by stuartbennett on 04-06-2008 at 09:54 AM

quote:

<Name>xxxxx</Name>

well if your going to do that why not give us some way to password protect the entire skininfo file, messenger can read it, but to actually read the file in an editor or change the code you would need a password to get into it that way if they wanna change your skin they are restricted to the limitations of the skininfo as they could only then change images and uifiles.

i personally think it would be hard to modify my images as although my original images start out with objects on different layers etc like for example in my summer theme, the background which is the big gradient stuff is a seperate object from the sun and the dolphins etc, now when i use xnview to compress the filesize of my images it forces all elements back into a single layer so cant be edited seperately, this has given me the unintentianal bennifit of making it harder for rippers to change my images, yes if someone took the time to get the gradient to match up with mine then can put custom elements on top of my bases but that involves the rippers actually doing a bit of work so hopefully deters them from ripping my skins, however other images like the few animations i have i can just go in and use a filter to change the colour of the image making for fast developement of new colour packs for my graphics pack option, now those images are obviously easier to be ripped but hey i cant do anything about that.

perhaps another way round the problem is to lock down the actual folders so that while messenger could read any folder in the plus skins directory you could only open folders yourself that you yourself created for your own skin creations, a folder created by a skin downloaded from the database etc would require a password in order to get into it, just a thought.
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by mynetx on 04-06-2008 at 09:56 AM

What does indeed lead us to what Willz suggested before, that is, have skins compiled into a closed-source, non-disassemblable plsk file (using some sort of Skin compiler), and have Plus! run the skin directly from this file.

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by ResourcE on 04-06-2008 at 09:56 AM

Or,if we can make somehow when we end the skin,to make the .xml file  un-openable,and save a copy of it into our hard drive for the upcoming updates ;)

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Aardvark on 04-06-2008 at 10:00 AM

See I don't agree with that because by looking at the skininfo.xml file you can actually learn how to skin yourself, they are a valuable resource to novice and developing skinners.

RE: RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by ResourcE on 04-06-2008 at 10:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
See I don't agree with that because by looking at the skininfo.xml file you can actually learn how to skin yourself, they are a valuable resource to novice and developing skinners.

Well .... you're right :S

Everybody can learn pretty much from the skininfo.xml file of other skins ..

But ... Ripping is the problem :S
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by stuartbennett on 04-06-2008 at 10:10 AM

well in microsoft office you can set a read only password on your files so people can view them but cannot save the changes they make, so maybe plus can do something along those lines

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Basilis on 04-06-2008 at 10:15 AM

They cannot save but they can copy to another file. So simple as that. It is difficult to stop skin ripping. Only if Plus could implement a password in the .xml so that only the creator and everyone else having taken permission from him would be able to open it. That is my suggestion

RE: RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Willz on 04-06-2008 at 10:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
quote:

If watermarks are impossible with what we have, what if the skinning engine was updated to provide these watermarks on the files - then again would it really be worth it? And how visible would these watermarks be. I personally Don't want the words "Willz - designevolved.net" written all over my conversations. :P It would be some good advertising though!

Watermarks just annoy the hell out of me :P I would never resort to that even if it was implemented. It's just like DLL's, if I wanted to protect my work a bit better I would use dll's but yeah it defeats the purpose of plus skinning imo.

Ripping isn't looking at skininfo code. Look if people are stuck on how to structure an xml (e.g how to declare shaped regions) then its fine to look at another persons xml as long as all you are doing is just seeing how its done and then making your own code to suit whatever you are making.

I consider someone to have ripped when they just modify a couple of images and try to release it as their own work. If you can still see the core of the original skin then it is ripping (in graphics terms).

In coding terms, if you just take another skins UIFiles without asking first then that is ripping (unless of course its like minor things like button removal which in that case who really cares :P)

I have suggested in adopting the winamp style of skin files where the contents of the skin package are not extracted, but of course to see that happen we will probably have to wait till the next version of Plus.

@Resource, I don't think its technically possible to lock out an xml file so nobody can edit it.

RE: RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Aardvark on 04-06-2008 at 10:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
well in microsoft office you can set a read only password on your files so people can view them but cannot save the changes they make, so maybe plus can do something along those lines
That would work to some extent, but there's still the option of copying it manually. Takes a lot longer but is a lot easier than learning how to do everything yourself. Also what if the xml file was opened on a different operating system which does not apply the read only attributes that windows will. It could happen. 8-)
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Willz on 04-06-2008 at 10:34 AM

Hmm well if someone did want to go to that much effort to edit a skin yes it is possible :P

I just don't think Patchou will want to spend the effort in adding in advanced content protection systems in just for skins. I'm sure he'd rather spend his energy trying to figure out better things.

I am just hopeful that what I will do will help the situation. I know it won't totally stop it, I'm not a fool.

So here is my goal:

Get Windows Live Messenger to a state where it was like in MSN Messenger 7.5. Where all main images were pngs, no MSNRLEs, no vista only images, no 4006 group dependency.

I will simplify changing text colors by making it controlled via skininfo so that you don't have to open multiple files to edit the one thing. The same goes for the min max and close buttons.

If people don't want that, well too bad :P I'm doing it because it benefits me to get something that efficient going as well, not just newbies and other skinners.

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by John Anderton on 04-06-2008 at 11:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
The only problem is you're essentially creating a skin of a skin which seems a bit dodgy :p

Also, I don't really see how this would really deter/prevent people from ripping skins, but it is a good suggestion never the less.
You make a skin X. I make a mod called X.mod
X has a.jpg; I mod it to a.mod.jpg

Now my mod installer has a replacement for a.jpg from X and nothing else so Plus! will start first load my mod's replacement file list, then start loading skin X till it reaches a file that's on my list. Once it does so, it loads my file instead of yours into memory and voila :o
RE: RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Volv on 04-06-2008 at 11:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:

Now my mod installer has a replacement for a.jpg from X and nothing else so Plus! will start first load my mod's replacement file list, then start loading skin X till it reaches a file that's on my list. Once it does so, it loads my file instead of yours into memory and voila :o
Don't see how that's relevant to my post whatsoever, but okay :p
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Basilis on 04-06-2008 at 11:15 AM

I posted it above but no one saw it cause me, willz and Aardvark posted on the same time. Anyway, what if Plus! could let the creator insert a code in the .xml. Doing so, only the creator and people who got permission from him would be able to open it. Thoughts?

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by aNILEator on 04-06-2008 at 11:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
I posted it above but no one saw it cause me, willz and Aardvark posted on the same time. Anyway, what if Plus! could let the creator insert a code in the .xml. Doing so, only the creator and people who got permission from him would be able to open it. Thoughts?

wrong. like scientology in technology form.
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by stuartbennett on 04-06-2008 at 11:18 AM

you know a lot of what has been discussed above is primarily focus on prevention of the problem occuring in the future, while thats good and all and goes part way to solving the issue if a skin ripper is determined to rip what is really going to stop them, perhaps what we need is harsher sentences for those who are caught ripping, is just not letting it into the database enough?

for example if a skinner is caught ripping from another skin then issue them a fine, money collected from the fines then goes to patchou to help pay for things like the site and stuff this could mean patchou getting as much money out of fines for skin ripping as he gets out of the sponsor, if people are fined for ripping then its a bit more of an effective deterant than just saying you cant have it listed in the database.

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by John Anderton on 04-06-2008 at 11:20 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:

Don't see how that's relevant to my post whatsoever, but okay :p
I meant to quote ShawnZ saying "its Patchou's problem \o/" :P
RE: RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Willz on 04-06-2008 at 11:24 AM

quote:

for example if a skinner is caught ripping from another skin then issue them a fine, money collected from the fines then goes to patchou to help pay for things like the site and stuff this could mean patchou getting as much money out of fines for skin ripping as he gets out of the sponsor, if people are fined for ripping then its a bit more of an effective deterant than just saying you cant have it listed in the database.

ROFL...... yeah um :P I hate rippers and all but lets be serious I really really don't think we have the authority to do anything like that and yeah..... lol enforcing it????? Do we have like a secret organisation to track rippers and make them pay up or something.

That sort of thing would deter people from the community more than anything else.

In fact it would put me off :P

But yeah its good to get peoples input on this issue. Although I sorta wanted to hear like what people wanted to see done in the skin but oh well this is good too :P
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Volv on 04-06-2008 at 11:31 AM

quote:
Although I sorta wanted to hear like what people wanted to see done in the skin but oh well this is good too :p
lol
Well then, I think most importantly you should ensure that the 'basic skin' places minimal limitations on creativity - skinners using this skin should be able to do everything they currently can without being guided down any specific design paths (for example, it seems centering conversation toolbar icons is becoming a bit too popular in skins these days so I would prefer if there was nothing which kinda led or promoted people to include this feature, such as the preset options you proposed to create). I think the last thing we want is 500 identical and generic skins with a couple of different pics and text colours separating them :p
RE: RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Willz on 04-06-2008 at 11:38 AM

quote:
quote:
Although I sorta wanted to hear like what people wanted to see done in the skin but oh well this is good too :p
lol
Well then, I think most importantly you should ensure that the 'basic skin' places minimal limitations on creativity - skinners using this skin should be able to do everything they currently can without being guided down any specific design paths because I think the last thing we want is 500 identical and generic skins with a couple of different pics and text colours separating them :p

Like i have said before, its just going to be the normal default windows live design. What will be different is the internal bits of it, they will work in a better manner, more simple like back in MSN Messenger.

I will not be modifying how messenger looks at all, it will mainly be code edits that will make it easier for skinners to make a skin.

So I just don't see it affecting any creativity at all since a person who doesn't want to take skinning seriously will always just edit one or two images, whilst someone who wants to make something more will push forward and modify more.

But meh :P we will soon see.

If menthix would have allowed all the rips hes denied, then what we would see would be 500 identical skins with just a couple of different backgrounds and text color edits :P Either way there will always be people who do this and yeah nothings gonna change it.

If Menthix gives me permission ill post a screenshot of the Ev0 rip he showed me. It made me lol and sort of shows the need for this :P
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by blessedguy on 04-06-2008 at 11:46 AM

errmmm...
Have you ever seen that using the "Read Only" or "Hidden" atribute at the file propierties won't allow the resources to be seen? (except for when the person already knows that, knows how to turn Hidden files to visible)

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Volv on 04-06-2008 at 11:46 AM

I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it, if you can it would probably be great. I'm just finding it a bit difficult to imagine what the product will be like :)

Okay, another suggestion which you may have (and probably have) already thought of is extensive comments in UIFILEs (such as a description of what the current UIFILE is for at the top, what each element corresponds to in WLM, etc.) so that users can easily track down what they're looking for.

RE: RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Willz on 04-06-2008 at 12:04 PM

quote:
I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it, if you can it would probably be great. I'm just finding it a bit difficult to imagine what the product will be like :)

Okay, another suggestion which you may have (and probably have) already thought of is extensive comments in UIFILEs (such as a description of what the current UIFILE is for at the top, what each element corresponds to in WLM, etc.) so that users can easily track down what they're looking for.

Yeah I have the final product already in my head and I sort of forget that people can't see that :P

I was giving that a lot of thought as to how I am going to structure the comments in the skin not just for english users, but for the non-english languages.

What I had planned was to have an an index at the start of the xml which shows what sections are in the xml and that way if people want to jump to one specific part they just hit CTRL+F and find the specific heading defined in the index section.

If people have any suggestions I'd like to hear it.

I can see the file being overwhelmed by comments if I do in fact implement multi-language comments, so what I have thought of is to include multiple skin info files, one per language.

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by ShawnZ on 04-06-2008 at 12:38 PM

if you really want to be a nazi you could sign every file going into the script database with a special private key, and embed a public key into messenger :p

for debugging, everyone could have their own public key also embedded into messenger, so they could run their own skins on their own computer without submitting it to the scripts DB.

but, don't use that idea. it's stupid. :p

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by mezzanine on 04-06-2008 at 11:08 PM

This might sound absurd, but how about releasing the skins into the public domain or with very relaxed licensing (Creative Commons). Think freedom, think software libre.

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Menthix on 04-06-2008 at 11:34 PM

The license people use to release their skins is up to the individual skin creator.

RE: RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Willz on 04-06-2008 at 11:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mezzanine
This might sound absurd, but how about releasing the skins into the public domain or with very relaxed licensing (Creative Commons). Think freedom, think software libre.

Yeah people on deviantart use creative commons, but that still doesn't really do much people still take work and do not credit the original author. There are still people out there who do not know what it means or even bother to read licenses anyway.

Anyway and now for your viewing pleasure here is an Ev0 rip. This shows the sort of stuff that Menthix rejects on a regular basis. This guy did not approach me about anything, all he did was replace my background image with his and try to release it as his own work

So this is one of the many reasons why I am making the open source skin, you guys don't hear about all the skins that Menthix rejects and I'm sure if he showed a few you would be thinking the same thing.

[Image: josueskinslv2.th.jpg]

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by blessedguy on 04-07-2008 at 12:01 AM

quote:
The license people use to release their skins is up to the individual skin creator.
In fact...I guess anyone publishes their licenses. or at least don't make it completely clear!
(an unclear would be "CreativeCommons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported", and clearing it would be the description).
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Aardvark on 04-07-2008 at 09:04 AM

What if rules were explicitly stated in the skinning how-to's as well as in the instructions of how to upload your skin? You can't say they wern't warned.

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by nunoperalta on 04-07-2008 at 03:39 PM

quote:
Well on a regular basis I get alerted of people taking my skins and just modifying an image or two and then trying to re-release it as their own work. It is a problem that most of the experienced skinners are getting and quite frankly it is getting annoying.

The same, with my Windows Vista Messenger =/ yeah, it is bad... we know! :(
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by riahc4 on 05-08-2008 at 07:55 AM

Well, this is the problem with scripts/skins being "open-source".

Maybe the script/skinning engine should be rethought to allow open and close source scripts/skins. This would make, for example, TB write another Stuffplug script for Plus!

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by ShawnZ on 05-08-2008 at 08:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4

Maybe the skinning engine should be rethought to allow open and close source scripts. This would make TB write another Stuffplug script for Plus!

or skin/script developers could just realize that their work isn't as important as they would like to believe...
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by stuartbennett on 05-08-2008 at 06:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4

Maybe the script/skinning engine should be rethought to allow open and close source scripts/skins. This would make, for example, TB write another Stuffplug script for Plus!

making a closed source skin or script goes against the very ideals on which messenger plus was built upon, messenger plus was built as a free addon to enhance messenger and to be freely shared, it allowed users to create their own plus content so that like plus itself it was free to use and could be freely shared, keeping that custom content open source means users can learn from each other and work towards self improvement which is what patchous vision was with the custom content system, if you close that off then itd be an afront to patchou and to plus and everything they jointly stand for.

well thats just my opinion anyways.
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Basilis on 05-08-2008 at 06:45 PM

Completely agree. It is the only way for some people wanting to skin to learn how. Of course they shouldn't steal resources but just see the way thing work.

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by stuartbennett on 05-08-2008 at 07:06 PM

quote:
Completely agree. It is the only way for some people wanting to skin to learn how. Of course they shouldn't steal resources but just see the way thing work.

yes i agree they shouldnt steal resources but closing the source to stop them from doing it is in my opinion a bit too extreme, i truely beleive that with open live and through providing other easy to following educational resources that we can reach them and convert them to good respectful skinners.
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by blessedguy on 05-08-2008 at 07:17 PM

quote:
quote:

yes i agree they shouldnt steal resources but closing the source to stop them from doing it is in my opinion a bit too extreme, i truely beleive that with open live and through providing other easy to following educational resources that we can reach them and convert them to good respectful skinners.
well...
the world is a very scary place, you know...
i would say that this would be almost utopic...
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by stuartbennett on 05-08-2008 at 09:10 PM

true, but hope of one day acheiving paradise is the driving force that we so badly need, maybe its a scary place now but if we lose hope of ever acheiving paradise then the very fabric of all society itself will crumble.

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by blessedguy on 05-09-2008 at 12:17 AM

quote:
true, but hope of one day acheiving paradise is the driving force that we so badly need, maybe its a scary place now but if we lose hope of ever acheiving paradise then the very fabric of all society itself will crumble.
Maybe...
but don't think that one pre-made skin (a great job, willz! tested it, and works nice) will make 'em stop... maybe they will just slow down a bit
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by stuartbennett on 05-09-2008 at 04:45 AM

quote:
quote:
Maybe...
but don't think that one pre-made skin (a great job, willz! tested it, and works nice) will make 'em stop... maybe they will just slow down a bit

perhaps it wont stop it completely but it is a good first step, if you do enough things to slow something down eventually it stops so while it doesnt solve the problem  entirely its a good first step wouldnt you agree.
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by blessedguy on 05-09-2008 at 04:31 PM

quote:
perhaps it wont stop it completely but it is a good first step, if you do enough things to slow something down eventually it stops so while it doesnt solve the problem  entirely its a good first step wouldnt you agree.
Totally agreed ;)
RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Volv on 05-09-2008 at 04:36 PM

Sharing is caring!

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by mattisdada on 05-10-2008 at 04:08 PM

Well i was thinking (PS, i havent read any of the posts just incase someone HAS said this....)

I was pondering on making a Open Source Newb Guide. Willz guide is good to become a proper skinner. But what the Newb Guide would do, is help people with there problems. For example, you would have a single post linking to all the other Newb Guide posts. And each other post, will have a title like "Newb Guide - How to add a background in a conversation window" or "Newb Guide - How to change slider"

You know that sort of thing, a bit more specfic sort of guide.

The reason someone rips is there lost, its to much for them, they get someone elses skin and just change an image here and there and thats it. By having a more specfic guide, they can slowly work there way up. So just say, someone is looking at there messenger and thinking "Damn, wouldnt be awesome if there was a giant flying pig in this background". There not going to look through tones of Documentation, there just going to rip someones skin and change the image. Although the Open Source skin DOES solve this (or at LEAST partially). I still think we should have a newb guide. :).

I was going to start it up, but I dont know anywhere near enough about skinning, all i can do is change images :). And add an option or two in. I cant do many of the UIfile stuff..... So yeah, just thought id get the idea out there and hopefully someone else can give it a go :)

EDIT(I read the last couple of posts): I know what phaze two is.... its where Willz shows us his secret to his skins. His genuise rooster!!!! His just the guy who feeds it. Otherwsie the Rooster does all these posts and coding and imaging! Willz is just there for the mug shots :).

And dont try and Deny it willz, i know its true!!!

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Jarrod on 05-11-2008 at 04:35 AM

i like the skin mod idea, and i think there should be a bit of collaboration between designers instead of plagiarism but hopefully less of this will occur with the release of open live, i would like to be able to change skins though even though i'd never release anything just to remove stuff and move things around;)

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by Nuna on 05-11-2008 at 05:54 PM

an open source skin idea is more professional, if some one don't know any thing about designing languages but they wanna edit the skin on how artist they are ... this is going 2 be very easy and the skin will be 100% right and the skins in plus will be very popular thing .

RE: An attempt to stop skin ripping by blessedguy on 05-11-2008 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nuna
an open source skin idea is more professional, if some one don't know any thing about designing languages but they wanna edit the skin on how artist they are ... this is going 2 be very easy and the skin will be 100% right and the skins in plus will be very popular thing .
Hope so!