Shoutbox

I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! (/showthread.php?tid=82968)

I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by absorbation on 04-05-2008 at 04:21 PM

So it turns out Microsoft contacted Dreamhost about links to WLM 9 links in some comments on the website:
http://www.msgstuff.com/news/post/432/

Last night my website was taken offline until I removed the content and I was issued with a formal DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) notice regarding allegedly infringing content.

If Microsoft sent me an email asking me to remove the comments I would of complied. I'm really annoyed about it, I feel like I have been bullied by Microsoft :(.

What do you guys think?

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by -dt- on 04-05-2008 at 04:30 PM

lolowned :P

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Basilis on 04-05-2008 at 04:30 PM

Well, the internet is full of websites having a download for WLM 9.0 With a little search in Google, you could find too many. Microsoft should close them too if they wanted to be fair.

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by MeEtc on 04-05-2008 at 04:33 PM

maybe microsoft should shut google down until they remove all the links to WLM 9 8-)

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Chancer on 04-05-2008 at 04:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
maybe microsoft should shut google down until they remove all the links to WLM 9 8-)
Maybe they should shut Live.com Search...
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by aNILEator on 04-05-2008 at 04:45 PM

That's highly unlike the team we used to know, I'd've expected them to have asked you first hand from the contact section, really lost some more respect for the messenger live team now

nice news post about it though :)

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Menthix on 04-05-2008 at 04:56 PM

Sucks to be hosted in the USA. I got a DMCA complaint once, and my Dutch hoster just forwarded it to me and asked what's going on, without taking any other action :).

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by L. Coyote on 04-05-2008 at 05:18 PM

Microsoft is PMS'ing...

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by absorbation on 04-05-2008 at 06:08 PM

I am pretty made over the situation, it was totally uncalled for. I really want an apology for not taking more co-operative measures. Microsoft should know not to insult those who promote their products, because it will just lead to criticism :P.

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Chancer on 04-05-2008 at 06:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Microsoft should know not to insult those who promote their products
Agreed. I suggest you to reformulate you site and name it "ICQ Stuff".
What do you think?

Hahhaahah... :P
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Nathan on 04-05-2008 at 06:24 PM

quote:
Haha that's what me and chris said....

Microsoft v Google!

Place your bets!  :P

hmm I wonder who would win though lol
RE: RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by matt on 04-05-2008 at 06:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
hmm I wonder who would win though lol

Interesting -- I think Microsoft should win:P
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by aNILEator on 04-05-2008 at 06:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MerK
Interesting -- I think Microsoft should win(Smilie)
BLASPHEMY!

I too believe a formal explanation/apology wouldn't go a miss though
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by joey on 04-05-2008 at 07:05 PM

google all the way.

who wants to second me for the hell of it?

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by MeEtc on 04-05-2008 at 07:07 PM

* MeEtc seconds the motion

RE: RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by matt on 04-05-2008 at 07:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
quote:
Originally posted by MerK
Interesting -- I think Microsoft should win:P
BLASPHEMY!

I too believe a formal explanation/apology wouldn't go a miss though

Let me clear my words -- I don't care who wins right now, I use both systems and don't have problems, I already posted before that I love google maps and earth, but the other video I saw broke my reality :P I know you disagree with the video and I respect that.   Then again, I don't have any problem with google nor Microsoft, both works fine for me(Y).

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Svip on 04-05-2008 at 08:03 PM

:( No one closes my sites. ;-;  Nobody hates me.

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Oxy on 04-05-2008 at 08:04 PM

To be fair, you knew the content shouldn't have been on the site in the first place..

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by CookieRevised on 04-05-2008 at 08:50 PM

quote:
So it turns out Microsoft contacted Dreamhost about links to WLM 9 links in some comments on the website:
http://www.msgstuff.com/news/post/432/

Last night my website was taken offline until I removed the content and I was issued with a formal DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) notice regarding allegedly infringing content.

If Microsoft sent me an email asking me to remove the comments I would of complied. I'm really annoyed about it, I feel like I have been bullied by Microsoft :(.

What do you guys think?
I think "MS" should have done it way sooner already.

quote:
That's highly unlike the team we used to know, I'd've expected them to have asked you first hand from the contact section, really lost some more respect for the messenger live team now
I beg to differ though. Ok, sometimes it could be more 'polite' to contact the author of the website. But the problem is quite often that it isn't that easy to contact them (if they react at all, and if they even have a 'contact' form). And to check each site each time for a contact form (and checking if you got the correct contact) is time consuming I suppose.

Contacting the host seems normal to me, and not "wrong". What the host does with the email is another thing. If your host decides to preventive close your site, you should complain to them. Although it is their perfect right to do so without even noticing you. Most hosts don't allow illegal content and if you still put illegal contact on your site they have every right to close it down.

quote:
Originally posted by Oxy
To be fair, you knew the content shouldn't have been on the site in the first place..
exactly.

If anyone should make an apology it would be those who provide illegal content. Simple as that....
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by absorbation on 04-05-2008 at 09:25 PM

I made sure I didn't provide links to WLM 9, someone posted a comment in a very old post (Jan 2007) around 2 weeks ago. Secondly to contact Dreamhost they would have had to look up my WHOIS information, which states my email address. It was an unnecessary step and provided a lot of hassle to get my site running again.

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Volv on 04-06-2008 at 02:57 AM

quote:
It was an unnecessary step and provided a lot of hassle to get my site running again.
As Cookie said, that's the fault of your host not Microsoft.
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by John Anderton on 04-06-2008 at 04:34 AM

quote:
Its a search engine. Its algorithms show what it judges should be shown. Personal sites are however written by people and thus accountable to a DMCA :P
RE: RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Volv on 04-06-2008 at 04:42 AM

quote:
They should shut down browsers for facilitating the transfer/download of WLM9 too (like Kazaa) and the internet altogether while they're at it :P
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by John Anderton on 04-06-2008 at 05:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
quote:
It was an unnecessary step and provided a lot of hassle to get my site running again.
As Cookie said, that's the fault of your host not Microsoft.
DH takes this very seriously :P They've always said it.
If you had leaked betas on the server or had links to download them then you should have, as mean as it sounds, thought about it before posting the links :)
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by markee on 04-06-2008 at 06:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I beg to differ though. Ok, sometimes it could be more 'polite' to contact the author of the website. But the problem is quite often that it isn't that easy to contact them (if they react at all, and if they even have a 'contact' form). And to check each site each time for a contact form (and checking if you got the correct contact) is time consuming I suppose.

Contacting the host seems normal to me, and not "wrong". What the host does with the email is another thing. If your host decides to preventive close your site, you should complain to them. Although it is their perfect right to do so without even noticing you. Most hosts don't allow illegal content and if you still put illegal contact on your site they have every right to close it down.
I disagree.  When studying law, you are taught that you shouldn't just go to court, you should try to contact the person first and to have mediation if that doesn't work before proceeding.  This is to lower costs and to not ruin any relationships.

If they don't want to spend 2 seconds on the site to find a contact form then they could have used the forum, or even just the WHOIS information (which should be kept up to date and accurate anyway).

I understand that having links at all is bad, and they realised that hence not posting them themselves.

It doesn't take much effort to send a reminder about these things to people before getting them offside.  I personally have been a supporter of Microsoft and Messenger in particular (even though they could be better for what resources they have) but this is something that I think thy should relise is not accepted by people.

If it continued after a warning to abs then I can understand themgoing to dreamhost, just not as a first step.

Just out of curiosity, if I were to have links on my site, do you think the letter would come to me as I have the dedicated server in my name, or my provider?  Where do you think they draw the line?
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by High Speed Chaser on 04-06-2008 at 06:32 AM

I think that Microsoft finds out the the WhoIS information and compile a list of websites who are providing links to betas. Then they email that list to each host with the list of websites using that host who are providing those links. That saves time for Microsoft writing an individual letter to each author detailing where the breach has occurred.

I'm not disputing if it's right or wrong to go straight to the host to save time but that's what I think they do.

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by markee on 04-06-2008 at 07:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by High Speed Chaser
I'm not disputing if it's right or wrong to go straight to the host to save time but that's what I think they do.
Just because it saves time doesn't mean that it is right.
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by RebelSean on 04-06-2008 at 07:32 AM

What I can't believe is that first of all I don't believe the link was active; I may or may not be wrong. Second of all when Neowin.net and Mess.be published the feature list (That I unknowingly copied/pasted from a post on the forums) they were not issued a formal DMCA. To be frank they weren't even contacted by Microsoft employee's to remove the content, they were pounced with MVP's, Butterflies, and Testers to remove the content so the beta could continue. To give further detail, Neowin.net did not even remove the content until 5 days later when all the major news sources spread it like wildfire.

There are many websites that still give a download for Messenger v9, and I've reported them, and yet they still don't have the content removed. I don't understand why Messenger Stuff was on the hit list for a petty comment. Although I can understand Microsoft's point of view on this, I don't believe they should have went straight to the host. I've seen them on many occasions to contact the website directly instead of going to the web host.

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by marissa on 04-06-2008 at 07:34 AM

it's like real life. if you do something bad, and you're under someone else, then THEY get the heat. it's like if you're a kid, and you steal candy, then your parents get in trouble. that's all it is. dont take offense because they didnt email you personally. they probably do searches regularly for that kind of junk because it's not supposed to be public yet or whatever the case is. they're protecting their product, so they go to the momma, not address the boy who made the mistake.

oh and plus, who wants to send out personalized emails saying they'll threaten you with that if not taken down when they can just threaten you with the real thing and actually take it down themselves? cause that's more of a BANG and it worked [faster] righttt?

RE: RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by High Speed Chaser on 04-06-2008 at 08:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
quote:
Originally posted by High Speed Chaser
Just because it saves time doesn't mean that it is right.

Did I say they were right. I just said I'm not disputing it. I actually think it's more "gentlemen like" (can't think of a better word or phrase) to approach an author rather than going over the authors head straight to the host.

I wouldn't want my site taken down for 11 hours while I'm away just because I made mistake or something beyond my control like a comment.
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by absorbation on 04-06-2008 at 11:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
thought about it before posting the links (Smilie)

I didn't post links, someone posted them in a comment back in a post from Jan 2007! It's nearly impossible to know what people have commented where there are 1000s of comments on the site.

Taking down a website is an unnecessary step, it's power abuse in my opinion and it was a real hassle for me. Why should I go through all that because some kid posted a link to rapidshare without me knowing. If I did know I would of deleted the comment (I have done things like this in the past).
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by John Anderton on 04-06-2008 at 11:19 AM

quote:
I didn't post links, someone posted them in a comment back in a post from Jan 2007! It's nearly impossible to know what people have commented where there are 1000s of comments on the site.
Oh. That's just stupid then :dodgy:
Tried getting in touch with them? Ask DH to get you contact details or something.
RE: RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Volv on 04-06-2008 at 11:20 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

I disagree.  When studying law, you are taught that you shouldn't just go to court, you should try to contact the person first and to have mediation if that doesn't work before proceeding.  This is to lower costs and to not ruin any relationships.
True, but this has nothing to do with going to court. Microsoft has indeed contacted the webhost before launching any legal action at all!
The webhost is exposing themselves to legal liability by allowing their user to host this sort of material on their servers in the first place (the exact same reason that the website owner is liable for links to WLM9 posted on their website by their users) - it is therefore the webhost's responsibility to deal with this issue as they are able to make direct contact with their client and take any immediate actions necessary (which they are most likely entitled to as per their web hosting terms and conditions).

I don't see any problem with Microsoft's actions, they are a corporation and they take these issues very seriously (as they should and are entitled to). Furthermore Microsoft has no reason or incentive to maintain good relations with the webhost or the website author and you are very fortunate that Microsoft did not choose to pursue this issue further.

I agree with everything Cookie said.
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by markee on 04-06-2008 at 11:32 AM

quote:
I don't see any problem with Microsoft's actions, they are a corporation and they take these issues very seriously (as they should and are entitled to). Furthermore Microsoft has no reason or incentive to maintain good relations with the webhost or the website author and you are very fortunate that Microsoft did not choose to pursue this issue further.

Apart from the fact that the site they took down is a news site relating to their product that promotes it.  It also makes recommendations and has a large user base.  If they piss them off then it could have some effects on the ammount of people using WLM (especially if it happens to other people - imagine if mess.be got taken down for 11 hour over something like this).
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Volv on 04-06-2008 at 11:37 AM

Once again, the fact that the site was taken down was not Microsoft's fault in any way.
I'm sure as far as they were concerned they didn't care what the webhost did as long as the offending content (the link) was no longer displayed, and won't be displayed in future. The webhost is the one who absorbation should take this up with, they are the ones who (should) want to maintain relations with their clients and had probably overreacted (although they are, most likely, also within their legal rights to take down the site).

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Nathan on 04-06-2008 at 01:19 PM

quote:
quote:

Apart from the fact that the site they took down is a news site relating to their product that promotes it.  It also makes recommendations and has a large user base.  If they piss them off then it could have some effects on the ammount of people using WLM (especially if it happens to other people - imagine if mess.be got taken down for 11 hour over something like this).
Yeah, but lets face it... I think microsoft don't care about a couple of hundred extra users to wlm, because they have millions of people using it everyday, and practically everyone knows about msn/wlm!

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by aNILEator on 04-06-2008 at 01:37 PM

quote:
The webhost is exposing themselves to legal liability by allowing their user to host this sort of material on their servers in the first place

As Ross has explained, and I know there are no infringing files held on the server, some noob kid posted a link to the file on rapidshare, Microsoft should report the link to rapidshare and have contacted Ross and his host regarding removal of the comment.

I also believe that the host is to blame, as they should have contacted Ross on this issue before taking the site offline.

It'd be interesting to know whether it was the host or Microsoft request for the site to be taken offline.
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Thor on 04-06-2008 at 02:30 PM

Even though I can understand your feeling about the fact that your website got cut off because of a comment, Microsoft had their right to do so. There wasn't even a disclaimer on msgstuff.com.

I recommend you get a decent disclaimer on the site, as there isn't any at the moment.  Disclaimers can easily save you a lot of trouble, and a DMCA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disclaimer#Example
Of course it depends on what you write in the disclaimer.

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by aNILEator on 04-06-2008 at 02:51 PM

I'm pretty sure Ross has a disclaimer somewhere :S

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Thor on 04-06-2008 at 02:58 PM

quote:
I'm pretty sure Ross has a disclaimer somewhere :S

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Amsgstuff.com+disclaimer

Google disagree.
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by aNILEator on 04-06-2008 at 03:01 PM

Well we kinda have a copyright notice I guess which the guy who posted the comment falls under, but I don't think anyone would pay any notice at all too

Content belongs to the respective owners and you may not redistribute material without full permission from the owner.

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Thor on 04-06-2008 at 03:12 PM

quote:
Well we kinda have a copyright notice I guess which the guy who posted the comment falls under, but I don't think anyone would pay any notice at all too

Content belongs to the respective owners and you may not redistribute material without full permission from the owner.
Sorry, but that's not even remotely close to be labeled as a disclaimer.

That single line is just saying that all content belongs to their respective owners. Now, I'm no lawyer. No lawyer at all, but in terms of owner, the comments belong to the site, as the site both hosts and display the comments, unless otherwise is stated.

That's where the disclaimer comes in handy, you state that the data that you host and display is not content that you are responsible of, and to view the site / use it you agree to be bound by that fact.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Please do. But the Wikipedia article may help you a bit.

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by absorbation on 04-06-2008 at 06:21 PM

I don't have a disclaimer for what's posted in comments, I do for custom content however. I should add something along the lines that I cannot control what users add, but people should have common sense to realize that I don't add all the comments myself.

In the past I have found people using my work, and I give them an email which works really way and maintain a good relationship with the person. I do feel victimized in all this and I now have a poor opinion of Microsoft. Ironically the person who issued the DMCA I believe works in the customer relation and marketing area at Microsoft :P.

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by CookieRevised on 04-06-2008 at 06:52 PM

quote:
I do feel victimized in all this and I now have a poor opinion of Microsoft.
Too bad you still think this is MS' fault, since MS didn't do anything remotely wrong at all. But anyways...
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Chris4 on 04-06-2008 at 07:00 PM

If it were me, I would add a 'Report' button next to each comment. :happy:

RE: RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by GiantSpider on 04-06-2008 at 07:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
quote:

That single line is just saying that all content belongs to their respective owners. Now, I'm no lawyer. No lawyer at all, but in terms of owner, the comments belong to the site, as the site both hosts and display the comments, unless otherwise is stated.

That's where the disclaimer comes in handy, you state that the data that you host and display is not content that you are responsible of, and to view the site / use it you agree to be bound by that fact.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Please do. But the Wikipedia article may help you a bit.

It really depends on which country you are in. Each will have their own definitions of property, belonging to another etc. I doubt you can write a legally binding universal disclaimer.
RE: RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Ashley_H on 04-06-2008 at 07:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
quote:
Maybe they should shut Live.com Search...

Or ... what about every search engine on the web?
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Thor on 04-06-2008 at 08:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
quote:

It really depends on which country you are in. Each will have their own definitions of property, belonging to another etc. I doubt you can write a legally binding universal disclaimer.
What matters is what country the service (aka the hoster, Dreamhost) is located. How the disclaimer is written is up to you, but visitors of that page (service) would have to abide by those "rules" / terms of use, to use the service. So, in one way it would be like a universal disclaimer, since it is the laws of the country the service exists that matters, not the country of the visitor.

Pretty much why the norwegian goverment can't do anything with those that play poker online. (It's illegal in Norway)
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Dempsey on 04-07-2008 at 04:09 PM

You could force all comments that include a link to go into a moderation queue, to help stop similar problems happening again in the future.

I don't believe Microsoft has done anything wrong, and you don't know that they haven't contacted all the other sites with links to WLM9 too.

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by androo123 on 05-28-2008 at 08:49 PM

Everyone is talking about WLM 9, is it Windows Live Messenger 9? I thought there was only an 8th version.

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Quantum on 05-28-2008 at 08:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by androo123
Everyone is talking about WLM 9, is it Windows Live Messenger 9? I thought there was only an 8th version.

If you searched you would know that the current stable version in 8.5 but the beta version only for beta testers is 9.0.
RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by Pyro on 06-30-2008 at 01:17 AM

thats just bs. i think you should also have a disclaimer saying that basicly nothing on the website can relate to you and its all for educational purposes only and crap.

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by CookieRevised on 06-30-2008 at 01:49 AM

A disclaimer doesn't help if you have illegal stuff on your site (put there by yourself or not doesn't matter). If you do not take that illegal content off, then your host has every right todo so, by any means they seem fit and with or without any warning.

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by markee on 06-30-2008 at 08:37 AM

Most terms of service have a clause that states if there is illegal content in your hosting then they have the right to remove you completely.  Though as it was only a link and not the actually program then i don't think there is anything wrong with that (this is one of the points that the pirate bay is making in their pending court case).  Microsoft should have targeted the site that was hosting it rather than the one that was linking to it imho.

RE: I can't believe it! Microsoft temporary took down my site! by CookieRevised on 06-30-2008 at 08:16 PM

imho (and many others that I know too) linking to something illegal is just as bad as hosting it, and should be dealt with too.