Shoutbox

[SOLVED] is this pc as good as it looks? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: [SOLVED] is this pc as good as it looks? (/showthread.php?tid=83032)

[SOLVED] is this pc as good as it looks? by joey on 04-08-2008 at 01:18 PM

im looking for a cheap laptop/desktop computer, and came across this - clicky

i want one mainly for gaming but nothing like games such as Crysis, which needs a ridiculus amount of gfx power for good fps rates from what ive heard! unless you can find/know of anything better, i want to dual boot M$ and linux on it, and it doesnt have to be super powerful, the only thing that matters is cheap :P

RE: is this pc as good as it looks? by Volv on 04-08-2008 at 01:26 PM

I don't claim to know much, but I dont think that computer would be able to play many newer games at decent resolutions and at a good FPS.

RE: is this pc as good as it looks? by andrewdodd13 on 04-08-2008 at 03:20 PM

It won't run much new stuff as Volv said, but it will run old stuff such as Fable for PC, CounterStrike Source, World of Warcraft, etc.c

For £290 it is basic, and I mean real basic:
Sempron processors are minimum-spec,
7300GT is the lowest popular 7-series card I'm aware of. Although it will beat my 7400 Go I suppose...

On the other hand. It's a socket AM2 with PCIe, so you'd be able to upgrade to anything you like in the future - but I'd be careful of the line "Standard PSU" if you plan to do this.

RE: is this pc as good as it looks? by Kenji on 04-08-2008 at 04:06 PM

No, its shit. You can get a much better PC for roughly the same price if you build it yourself.

Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Case With CM eXtreme Power 460W PSU *SPECIAL OFFER*
ASUS P5B Socket 775 Core 2 ready P965 chipset onboard audio ATX
Intel E2160 Socket 775 Pentium Dual Core 2x1.8Ghz 800FSB Retail Boxed Processor
Kingston 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Non-ecc CL5 Unbuffered 1.8V
MSI 8600GT Silent edition 256MB DVI HDTV PCI-E Graphics Card
Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ 500GB SATAII Hard Drive 16MB Cache - OEM
Sony DRU-190S 20X DVD±RW DL & DVD-RAM Serial ATA - Retail Multi Bezel & Nero

Total: £302.17 with free shipping.

RE: is this pc as good as it looks? by joey on 04-08-2008 at 04:30 PM

wow, nice! ty <3333

btw, by gaming i didnt mean all these fancy new shiny games, i just meant the ones i have now, which are nice and old. the gfx card on this comp is only an Nvidia geforce6150. cheap but it does the job. =p

RE: RE: is this pc as good as it looks? by matt on 04-08-2008 at 04:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by icd*
wow, nice! ty <3333

btw, by gaming i didnt mean all these fancy new shiny games, i just meant the ones i have now, which are nice and old. the gfx card on this comp is only an Nvidia geforce6150. cheap but it does the job. =p

i think that you definitely don't need this:
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=bqok_2RkrB4

Edit:

you can get an idea of a simple computer but good for you
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetai...s&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

hopefully this helps -- there are other cheap computer, but i am still trying to remember where i saw them :P