Shoutbox

windows vista - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: windows vista (/showthread.php?tid=83043)

windows vista by matt on 04-08-2008 at 10:33 PM

i have been doing a research to find out what is the big difference on windows vista premium to vista ultimate.  does anybody know here, by experience, what is this difference? i read the Microsoft description, but i can't say as i have not seen this personally :P can you please give me some useful information on this? (Y)

RE: windows vista by MeEtc on 04-08-2008 at 10:38 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windows...itions/choose.mspx
first google result

RE: RE: windows vista by matt on 04-08-2008 at 10:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx
first google result

alright, that was useful -- now, premium is almost the same thing than ultimate.....
Edit: thanks dude.
RE: windows vista by Voldemort on 04-09-2008 at 12:43 AM

ultimate has media center, which is win.

RE: windows vista by Tochjo on 04-09-2008 at 10:17 AM

Home Premium has media center as well.

RE: windows vista by Aardvark on 04-09-2008 at 11:50 AM

Ultimate is a waste there is no essential difference, as for including the "corporate features" included with business (I had business before I upgraded btw), I've never even come across the need to use those and I muck around a LOT with my computers. Aside from having Texas Hold 'Em as an ultimate extra (which is really crappy btw) and an animated background which you'll also get sick of in an instant, there's really no need to fork out the extra cash for ultimate.

RE: RE: windows vista by matt on 04-10-2008 at 01:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
Ultimate is a waste there is no essential difference, as for including the "corporate features" included with business (I had business before I upgraded btw), I've never even come across the need to use those and I muck around a LOT with my computers. Aside from having Texas Hold 'Em as an ultimate extra (which is really crappy btw) and an animated background which you'll also get sick of in an instant, there's really no need to fork out the extra cash for ultimate.

i noticed this, i have ultimate now, but there is no difference, i don't even like it a lot... :^)
RE: windows vista by ShawnZ on 04-10-2008 at 01:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
as for including the "corporate features" included with business (I had business before I upgraded btw), I've never even come across the need to use those and I muck around a LOT with my computers.

remote desktop?
RE: windows vista by MeEtc on 04-10-2008 at 01:57 AM

The added features of the business version (as ShawnZ already said) is Remote Desktop, and also the ability to join  a domain server for in a corporate environment. It also has the further ability to assign more detailed user policies (which are usually only used in a domain system anyway).

Right now I have a dual boot setup with both XP Pro and Vista Ultimate. Why did I choose Ultimate? Because I wanted both the media abilities, and be able to use RD and connect to a domain controller. The server runs (among other things) Active Directory, Exchange, SQL Server, IIS and Apache.

RE: windows vista by matt on 04-10-2008 at 05:00 AM

yeah, i am going through some new features and this is cool, apparently i need to do like 58 updates of the software? weird....

RE: windows vista by andrewdodd13 on 04-10-2008 at 08:38 AM

VHP has no backup, fax program, RDC, or BitLocker. Most of the "Ultimate Extras" can be installed on any version anyway, for example I have DreamScene on VHP.

As for the other programs... BitLocker is extreme for any home users needs (I TrueCrypt if I ever have to encrypt stuff, it's free), RDC can easily be replaced by some form of VNC client if really necessary, I don't fax, and I have Acronis True Image from years ago.

Home Premium is the way to go if you're actually buying it. :)

RE: RE: windows vista by matt on 04-10-2008 at 08:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
Home Premium is the way to go if you're actually buying it. :)
:D too late, but i noticed that... i am going to do some movements and get the money back with premium installed, because there is no much difference as you stated before.;)