Shoutbox

PS3 or XBOX 360 ? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? (/showthread.php?tid=83047)

PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Chris4 on 04-09-2008 at 01:56 AM

I want to get GTA IV.. but I don't have a PS3 or XBOX 360.. so it's decision time. Which one should I get? I also want the console of course, not just for the game :wink:.

Xbox 360 has better online multiplayer, so I hear (although it costs, but not much), whereas PS3 is free.

Xbox 360 is a lot cheaper, you can get the Premium console and GTA IV for £199.99 ($393 USD / $398 CAD) at Play.com which is a brilliant deal.

...Whereas PS3 is £300 ($590 USD / $598 CAD) on its own. :sad: I could get a second-hand one for cheaper I guess.

Also I have a PS2 and I've never played an xbox in my life :tongue:.

Uhh I dunno. I can't decide.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by tony on 04-09-2008 at 01:58 AM

Ask patchou, he might recommend you the 360 ;)

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by roflmao456 on 04-09-2008 at 02:05 AM

note some stuff:

- Xbox 360 gets hardware failures more than the PS3 :sad:
- controller has great feel
- excellent online gameplay
- xbox support helps you replace your 360 within 2 weeks if it breaks down

id still go for 360 since it has better games:P

Xbox live silver isn't so bad. at least you can download demos (free too :P)

PS3... never tried it before but:

you can link your PSP to it and play your PSone games (although i'm sure you can find another way without ps3 ;))

PS3 is faster than 360 i think. so probably better fps and higher quality games (like heavenly sword, god of war 3, etc)

also PS3 has HDMI and a bigger hard drive (40 - 80 GB?), 360 (original) doesn't have the HDMI port and only comes with 20 GB.

the elite has a 120 GB and HDMI.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Justin on 04-09-2008 at 02:07 AM

Get a PS3. I own both, the XBOX never gets played on, the only time i'm going to load that up is to play Saints Row 2. Also RROD, i suffered day one from it (no problems now though), the PS3 has given me no problems what so ever.
I will admit the 360 has more impressive games, but as a console it fails.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Th3rmal on 04-09-2008 at 02:14 AM

Wait for it to come out on PC?

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Chris4 on 04-09-2008 at 02:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
6-8 months :cry:

Like I said, I would also like a new games console :happy:
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Th3rmal on 04-09-2008 at 02:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
quote:
6-8 months :cry:

Like I said, I would also like a new games console :happy:
in that case i think PS3. If your a fan of movies then the PS3 is the way to go because all the good movies are going to be coming out on Blu-Ray, also there are some cool games (some coming out soon) on PS3 such as God Of War 3. I also like the ability to use the control in a way like the Wii using the motion sensors. So my opinion would be PS3

Also if you can hold out i believe they are making a slimline PS3 which could be out soon...
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by ShawnZ on 04-09-2008 at 02:46 AM

get a PS3, unless you happen to not be an idiot. then, get an xbox 360.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by albert on 04-09-2008 at 03:10 AM

PS3 : bluray player.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by NanaFreak on 04-09-2008 at 03:56 AM

ps3 will run GTA IV better than the xbox360... also GT5 :D

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 04-09-2008 at 04:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by roflmao456
Xbox 360 gets hardware failures more than the PS
not really on newer consoles...

i have the 360, its epic win, has more games, and is cheaper. get the ps3 if you want a bluray player

quote:
360 (original) doesn't have the HDMI port and only comes with 20 GB.
ermmmmmmmmm you can get an external hdd on it just as easy, and you can get composite out of the box, or hdmi if you really want it for really cheap (20usd or something.)

edit: i did fuck up. my console does have hdmi
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Joe on 04-09-2008 at 04:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by albert
PS3 : bluray player.
PC : Blu-Ray Player

Get the 360.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Th3rmal on 04-09-2008 at 05:13 AM

PS3 is to Xbox as FF is to IE, better!:P

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nagamasa on 04-09-2008 at 05:55 AM

PS3. Newer tech (Blue-Ray, HDMI), backward compatibility with your PS2...

I haven't quite played on the 360 (only those demos at EB Games), but have a played a bit on the PS3. It seems like PS3 is cooler. I personally don't have close friends that have a 360. Just Wiis and PS3s.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 04-09-2008 at 08:45 AM

PS3 - the hardware isn't a bit better than the 360, it's a lot better. The Cell BE when properly utilised... well. It's scary-fast. :)

As far as I can see though, it looks like most of the PS3 exlusives might not be as exclusive as one might think: The only "big name" titles I can think of that we were promised that are still exclusive will be MSG4 [which may still go XBox, I know the last two did] and GT5.

Also, you probably won't have backwards-compatibility with the PS2 unless you get an MGS4-special-edition pack.

As for the 360.. well it just came down in price again. :)

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 04-09-2008 at 09:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
get a PS3, unless you happen to not be an idiot. then, get an xbox 360.
agreed.
Also, 360 gets GTA DLC.

There's no good games for PS3 either and the online is shit.

quote:
- Xbox 360 gets hardware failures more than the PS3 (Smilie)
That's only in the first boards though, the newer consoles are much better.

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
ps3 will run GTA IV better than the xbox360...
since when?

also:
quote:
Originally posted by http://www.dbtechno.com/gaming/2008/04/01/gamers-choose-xbox-360-version-of-gta-iv-over-ps3/

The poll garnered around 18,000 votes and found that 64% voted that they would buy the Xbox 360 version, with only 36% voting for the PS3 version.

The poll question asked, “If you’re buying GTA IV, which platform version will you purchase?”

This is a two-to-one ratio which is a pretty wide margin for Xbox 360 owners to win by to be quite honest.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by djdannyp on 04-09-2008 at 09:11 AM

If you go to Game and trade in your PS2 and all your old games you'll be able to get money off a PS3 bundle and save urself a packet.  I traded in my PS2 + about 30 games (ranging from 0-5 yrs old), 4 controllers and 2 memory cards and knocked about £250 off the price of the £450 bundle that i got in September

PS3 is without a doubt the best thing I've ever bought and if Sony's what you know (having had a PS2) then i'd definitely recommend you stick with it and go for the PS3

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 04-09-2008 at 09:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp

PS3 is without a doubt the best thing I've ever bought and if Sony's what you know (having had a PS2) then i'd definitely recommend you stick with it and go for the PS3
Don't see how, I used to have a PS2, it was what I knew, but then I upgraded to a 360 and it's the best choice I've ever made.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-09-2008 at 10:09 AM

Wtf, the XBOX 360 (non-Elite) does have a HDMI port - in fact I'm using it right now, for the rest refer to shawnz' post earlier in this thread.

The PlayStation is like Bollywood (look it up), it has a game production rate of 50 per day (exaggeration) but they're all pretty much the same and they're all crappy.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Th3rmal on 04-09-2008 at 10:43 AM

lol up till now i kept reading ShawnZ's post as "get a ps3, unless you happen to be an idiot, then get the xbox 360"

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-09-2008 at 10:47 AM

quote:
lol up till now i kept reading ShawnZ's post as "get a ps3, unless you happen to be an idiot, then get the xbox 360"
And that is why you're a PS3 supporter :p
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Th3rmal on 04-09-2008 at 10:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
quote:
And that is why you're a PS3 supporter :p
too true:P
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by raghav on 04-09-2008 at 11:12 AM

I'd say get an 360.

1. Has more games.
2. Cheaper.
3. Xbox Live/ Online Multiplayer.
4. Graphics as good as PS3.
5.Halo 3 :D .
6.You can switch on/off the console with the controller , pretty handy if you're lazy lol ( dunno if you could do that with the PS3 ).
7.Connect your iPod and listen music while playing games :P.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Oxy on 04-09-2008 at 11:13 AM

Wii. 8-)

RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Aardvark on 04-09-2008 at 11:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Oxy
Wii. 8-)
Definately. Wii's all the way!

But yeah go with the PS3 cos HD-DVD is pretty much obsolete now anyway, I don't really blame them how could it not be when competing with a product with such a cool name as "blu-ray". Also the games for PS3 sound a lot better than the 360, and there's been numerous reports of 360's gone bad, but to be fair I'm sure there's been (or will be) equally as many complaints about problems people have had with a PS3.

quote:
If you go to Game and trade in your PS2 and all your old games you'll be able to get money off a PS3 bundle and save yourself a packet.  I traded in my PS2 + about 30 games (ranging from 0-5 yrs old), 4 controllers and 2 memory cards and knocked about £250 off the price of the £450 bundle that i got in September

See I don't get people who do that. The PS2 was at least $200, how many old games, 30? At 50 a piece thats 1500 (just going on an average here). And you knocked $250 off the price. See I just think that's stupid. Yeah maybe you won't ever use the PS2 or the games again, and since a PS3 can play PS2 games get rid of the PS2 fair enough but still, as far as what you've already paid compared with what you're now giving it away for and getting a discount for as a result, it really seems as if that's a rip off.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-09-2008 at 12:04 PM

I would vote fot the PS3 lol I have both so I'd say its a fair argument...

Here's what I like about the PS3:
- Free online
- Blu-ray player (currently the best one on the market for its price)
- Sixaxis controllers is fun
- You can put linux on it (and use it as a pc lol)
- You can use any standard usb keyboard and mouse to play some games
- Though it's debatable that the xbox 360 has a better gfx card, the ps3 has a far better proccesor, so the physics in the game would be far superior.
- and if you get this cat controller, it's just like the xbox 360 one (i have it) and it's far better than the original one
- It has wireless built in

What I like about the xbox 360:
- Online is far better
- Far more games
- The slightly older games that got proted over to ps3 look much better on the xbox than the ps3
- The controller is much much nicer - it hugs your hand
- It doesn't look like a toaster (lmao)
- It doesn't pick up fingerprints and dust easily (the ps3 does)
- Slightly cheaper

That's all i can think of really for the moment (it was off the top of my head) and i'd just like to say one thing :P

Sony are developing PS3 Home, which is like a bit netowrk of players, where you can go to each others flats etc and play pool. It's really quite cool all the stuff they're doing, check out some of the features here:
Wiki's entry about PS3 home

And another thing, the games will be getting better and better with the ps3 because the developers in the games can't get the full power out of the gfx card yet because it hasn't been out long enough and the coding system ps3 implemented is overly complicated.
Hope I helped :)

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Th3rmal on 04-09-2008 at 12:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
- It doesn't look like a toaster (lmao)
:lol: i believe they are making a slimline model which looks much better..
RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Aardvark on 04-09-2008 at 12:08 PM

quote:

What I like about the xbox 360:
- No wireless

You like the fact that is has no wireless? :P
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-09-2008 at 12:13 PM

:rofl: I should remove that :P

RE: RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by djdannyp on 04-09-2008 at 12:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
quote:
Originally posted by Oxy
Wii. 8-)
quote:
If you go to Game and trade in your PS2 and all your old games you'll be able to get money off a PS3 bundle and save yourself a packet.  I traded in my PS2 + about 30 games (ranging from 0-5 yrs old), 4 controllers and 2 memory cards and knocked about £250 off the price of the £450 bundle that i got in September

See I don't get people who do that. The PS2 was at least $200, how many old games, 30? At 50 a piece thats 1500 (just going on an average here). And you knocked $250 off the price. See I just think that's stupid. Yeah maybe you won't ever use the PS2 or the games again, and since a PS3 can play PS2 games get rid of the PS2 fair enough but still, as far as what you've already paid compared with what you're now giving it away for and getting a discount for as a result, it really seems as if that's a rip off.

you're working in the wrong currency, lol

the games were bought for between £15 and £30 and i actually got the console for about £40 (by trading in my old fat PS2 when i got the slimline one).  And as I've said in other threads, I made a mistake by holding onto the games for so long, which is why now with my PS3 i trade in games as soon as i'm done with them rather than hanging on to them.  and besides, getting ANYTHING back is a bonus, because on virtually nothing else do you get money back, think how many mobile phones, laptops, computers, etc, etc we've all had here.....and you don't get anything back for them (except if you manage to sell them on)

as for keeping the games.....that's stupid, yeah there's some backwards compatibility, but playing PS2 games on a PS3 is retarded, i made that mistake in the past too, i kept some PSOne games when i got my PS2.....they never once went back in the console because the quality of games available for the better console is such that you won't need the old ones.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 04-09-2008 at 12:38 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Oxy
Wii. 8-)
Definately. Wii's all the way!

But yeah go with the PS3 cos HD-DVD is pretty much obsolete now anyway, I don't really blame them how could it not be when competing with a product with such a cool name as "blu-ray".

Huh? The xbox 360 doesn't use HD-DVD =/
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Aardvark on 04-09-2008 at 12:42 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360
Media: DVD, DVD-DL, CD, Add-On: HD DVD
@djdannyp
Hmm fair enough I guess, but as for currency, it's the same principle just less money. :P
EDIT: http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/23/xbox-360-hd-dv...-while-theyre-hot/ ah they've discontinued it, I didn't know that.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Eddie on 04-09-2008 at 02:13 PM

Xbox 360 when it comes to online play it is far superior and works a lot better, i know people talk of this RROD, personally i haven't had a RROD in the 6 months that i have owned my Xbox 360, personally i prefer Xbox 360 because of its online play with games like CoD4 and its extreme superiority in the amount of games available*-)

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-09-2008 at 02:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
... personally i prefer Xbox 360 because of ... its extreme superiority in the amount of games available*-)
It's not the amount of games which matter, it's the quality. Regardless, 360 games are far superior in terms of quality/gameplay.

Gears of War
Mass Effect (Amazing sci-fi RPG game)
Lost Odyssey (this game hasn't been spoken of much, but it is an awesome game - one of the best RPGs I've played in a long time)
Halo 3

These are a few of my favourite things (8) Of course, free-roam Zelda-style RPG is my genre of choice and the 360 definitely fulfills my needs plus some :D

If you're more of a sports fan, there are plenty of top games out there (Forza 2, PGR3/4).
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-09-2008 at 02:43 PM

Yeah but lets face it, the xbox 360 has been out far longer than the PS3 so there have been more games developed. IIRC the same thing happened to the original xbox!

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by matty on 04-09-2008 at 02:55 PM

I have played both consoles and both consoles have their own quirks about them.

I have an Xbox 360 Elite. My friend has a Playstation 3. Both consoles are superior in certain aspects. Before I get into that someone pointed out that the Xbox hard drive is smaller compared to the PS3 and there is no HDMI. The Elite comes with HDMI and HDMI Cable as well as a 120GB hard drive, now that isn't to say that everyone is going to go and buy an Elite however when you consider the PS3 you can get the hard drive in a wide range from 20-80GB. However as of July of 2007 Xbox 360 Premium consoles come with an HDMI port. So both consoles in retrospect have the same thing going for them however the Playstation 3 has a wider range of consoles available.

Features I like about the PS3 over the 360 is its backwards compatibility however I am not sure if I like their move into software emulation for PS/PS2 games I much prefer the game to be driven by hardware (less room for error in my opinion). The 360 does provide backwards compatibility however from my experience in order to play older games you need to download patches, what happens if the unit isn't online how would you then be able to play your original games?

I really like the idea of the Playstation 3's built-in battery into their controllers that you charge through USB. It will save money in the long run instead of having to purchase AA batteries for your 360 wireless controller.

I find that loading time from the 360 is vastly faster then that of the PS3.

Overall it is a tough call to make. (Don't get me wrong there are loads of features that I like with the 360). It depends on what you truly plan on doing with it once you have beaten the game. PS3 does have a blue ray player (but what is the sense if you don't have an HD tv?) Xbox has more game titles available.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by absorbation on 04-09-2008 at 02:59 PM

Xbox 360 con: made by Microsoft ...
PS3 con: made by Sony ...

Just wait for the iConsole and we can all indulge in Apple's bliss :P

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-09-2008 at 03:00 PM

Oh, and here is a PS3 for £230:

http://www.epctechuk.com/-games-consoles-/sony-ps...playstation-3.html

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by user35870 on 04-09-2008 at 03:02 PM

Xbox 360 (Y).

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-09-2008 at 03:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
I really like the idea of the Playstation 3's built-in battery into their controllers that you charge through USB. It will save money in the long run instead of having to purchase AA batteries for your 360 wireless controller.
You can always buy the Play & Charge Kit (comes with rechargeable battery pack), it may be overpriced (at least it is here) but it is much, much more convenient - no play downtime whatsoever.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 04-09-2008 at 03:44 PM

quote:

Yeah, Add-On.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Jimbo on 04-09-2008 at 04:27 PM

I used to have a PS1 and then a PS2 and was happy with it. But after i bought my 360, i could never go back to the PlayStation. 

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Basilis on 04-09-2008 at 07:17 PM

Have you bought PS3? Cause if you haven't, you truly don't know what you are missing. Its graphics are something amazing. 

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by absorbation on 04-09-2008 at 07:37 PM

It depends what you are looking for. The Xbox has a strong online community, if you are going to be part of that, get one. However, if you are a more casual player and maybe not tempted by the Wii then consider the Playstation. I am going to be buying a Xbox or Playstation after my exams and so far I worked out getting a Xbox, with a HDMI cable, wireless adapter, Gold membership and various other factors will actually costs more than the PS3 (which I get a couple of free games with). So price is not really an issue when you compare the systems, for what I want when a get a next-gen console, the Xbox 360 will cost me £40 more ($80).

Also the Playstation is arguably more future built and maybe the Xbox 360's hold on the market will suffer :).

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Steven on 04-09-2008 at 07:52 PM

What absorbtion said is true,  if you want a gaming expierence eqaul to the ps3, you need to spend an extra 200, (hd dvd player, wifi adapter, charger) so you get all that stuff, but then your 360 breaks, the failure rate is 33%, and I dont see why you have to pay 70 bucks a year for online. The online is not that much better than the PS3. Yeah, 360 has halo but then what? Metal gear solid 4 is coming out for ps3, which will be a system seller, as well as gtprolouge and gthd. As of right now, sony is doing a good job, and i dont see what the 360 has over the ps3.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by djdannyp on 04-09-2008 at 10:16 PM

Yeah, PS3 online is free and as for a "better online community" that's rubbish

whenever i've gone online with my PS3 (on at least 10 games) i've NEVER been short of a decent quality opponent to play with and provided you have a stable connection (which I do) then you rarely experience any kinds of stalling/freezing/etc to detract from the experience

and yeah, it's all built in, no add-ons needed

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-10-2008 at 12:20 AM

And when PS3 home comes, it will dominate xbox live :P

I cant wait for the Home network it'll be awesome!

RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by matt on 04-10-2008 at 12:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
Have you bought PS3? Cause if you haven't, you truly don't know what you are missing. Its graphics are something amazing. 

yeah, i would go for PS3 just for the graphics, but 360 has very inexpensive games here.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-10-2008 at 04:09 AM

It's funny how PS3 supporters don't actually know anything about the 360 apart from HD-DVD and Halo.

RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Aardvark on 04-10-2008 at 05:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:

Yeah, Add-On.
Add on now - used to be integrated though. And since I wasn't aware they weren't integrated anymore until just recently, you can see what I meant.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-10-2008 at 05:13 AM

HD DVD was never integrated into the XBOX 360, ever.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Aardvark on 04-10-2008 at 05:17 AM

Oh I always thought they were. So did the people I talked to about them. Oh well.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by matt on 04-10-2008 at 05:23 AM

[Image: images1xb2.jpg] i love this design

[Image: imagesbx8.jpg] this one called elite or something like that is also nice....

buy both and achieve this:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=bqok_2RkrB4

:P

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by prashker on 04-10-2008 at 05:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MerK
the screen is....is too big....

I mean a big tv is good, but you're not like 10cm away from it when watching it :p
RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Aardvark on 04-10-2008 at 05:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:

I mean a big tv is good, but you're not like 10cm away from it when watching it :p
Yeah I thought it would screw your eyes up too. I'm surprised the room is as tidy as it is actually.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by ShawnZ on 04-10-2008 at 05:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
I have an Xbox 360 Elite. My friend has a Playstation 3. Both consoles are superior in certain aspects. Before I get into that someone pointed out that the Xbox hard drive is smaller compared to the PS3 and there is no HDMI. The Elite comes with HDMI and HDMI Cable as well as a 120GB hard drive, now that isn't to say that everyone is going to go and buy an Elite however when you consider the PS3 you can get the hard drive in a wide range from 20-80GB. However as of July of 2007 Xbox 360 Premium consoles come with an HDMI port. So both consoles in retrospect have the same thing going for them however the Playstation 3 has a wider range of consoles available.
so they're essentially equal in terms of disk space and HDMI...

quote:
Features I like about the PS3 over the 360 is its backwards compatibility however I am not sure if I like their move into software emulation for PS/PS2 games I much prefer the game to be driven by hardware (less room for error in my opinion). The 360 does provide backwards compatibility however from my experience in order to play older games you need to download patches, what happens if the unit isn't online how would you then be able to play your original games?

and essentially equal ever since PS3 switched to software emulation...

quote:

you can charge xbox 360 controllers over USB if you buy the microsoft rechargable battery pack instead of using the double-A battery pack. so, not only does it give you the option of going all out and getting it, but it also lets you save money and avoid the extras. so, either they're equal or the 360 wins.

quote:
I find that loading time from the 360 is vastly faster then that of the PS3.
xbox 360 wins again... :p

quote:
Overall it is a tough call to make. (Don't get me wrong there are loads of features that I like with the 360). It depends on what you truly plan on doing with it once you have beaten the game. PS3 does have a blue ray player (but what is the sense if you don't have an HD tv?) Xbox has more game titles available.

you're right -- the PS3 does make a much better blu-ray player than the xbox. bbl, playing gears of war
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by kao on 04-10-2008 at 05:51 AM

I have both, I prefere Xbox 360 if I have to decide, though I like both.

Although I am on my third 360 in 2 years after 2 breaking down, but this third one is from the new batch of them that apparently don't have the same problems.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by prashker on 04-10-2008 at 05:55 AM

quote:
you're right -- the PS3 does make a much better blu-ray player than the xbox. bbl, playing gears of war
lol.
RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by matt on 04-10-2008 at 05:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:

agreed, is very big and i think the space is messy :P

quote:
Originally posted by alex
I prefere Xbox 360

360 wins...

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 04-10-2008 at 08:20 AM

quote:
Oh I always thought they were. So did the people I talked to about them. Oh well.
No, so get your facts right ¬_¬
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by RaceProUK on 04-10-2008 at 08:45 PM

quote:
I want to get GTA IV.. but I don't have a PS3 or XBOX 360.. so it's decision time. Which one should I get?
It depends on what you want it for.

If you want online play, a seamless user interface, excellent amounts of DLC, then go for the 360.

If you want the best in graphics and sound, don't want to pay to play online, want a Blu-Ray player/upscaling DVD player, go for the PS3.

Ultimately, look at all the capabilities, and decide which you would make best use of.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 04-10-2008 at 08:59 PM

I dunno why people are saying there's NO online play with the PS3, there is. And with most games the online functionality is the exact same as on the 360, albeit without the XBox-Live features.

I think if FF13 moves to 360, then I will buy one of those. Until then, I'm saving for my PS3.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 04-10-2008 at 09:08 PM

difference in graphics between PS3 and 360 are virtually no different 8-)

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Basilis on 04-10-2008 at 09:28 PM

I agree with andrewdodd13. I am saving for a PS3 as well, as I know that the best games come out only for PS3.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 04-10-2008 at 10:56 PM

quote:
I agree with andrewdodd13. I am saving for a PS3 as well, as I know that the best games come out only for PS3.
define: best, kthx.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Steven on 04-11-2008 at 01:08 AM

Metal gear solid 4, gt prolouge, gt hd, little big world Those are amazing. You cant say anything about that.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by prashker on 04-11-2008 at 03:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Steven
little big
DIVIDE BY FREAKING ZERO

[Image: dividebyzeroio1.gif]

Just get an Xbox 360, it's amazing and if you don't you immediately approve to gang banging rapists.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by matt on 04-11-2008 at 03:36 AM

quote:
i agree... i'll start saving, but i was thinking on buy a PSP too.... :P
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Chris4 on 04-11-2008 at 03:49 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

Really hard to decide :P

Wish I could get both.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-11-2008 at 04:07 AM

Here's some statistics I found online:

% of current PS3 owners which only owned the Original XBOX: <1
% of current XBOX 360 owners which only owned the the PS2: 16

% of PS3 owners which are in denial: 99
% of statistics which are made up (inclusive): 92.73

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by ShawnZ on 04-11-2008 at 05:28 AM

quote:
Metal gear solid 4, gt prolouge, gt hd, little big world Those are amazing. You cant say anything about that.

four games, two of which are from the same genre and even the same series?

i could say that many more games on the 360 are equally as amazing.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-11-2008 at 10:48 AM

Wow. Just wow: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32684.html
Complete replica of XBOX Live Marketplace anyone?

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-11-2008 at 11:53 AM

Yeah but I say it again: PS3 HOME will be awesome.

--

quote:
Here's some statistics I found online:

% of current PS3 owners which only owned the Original XBOX: <1
% of current XBOX 360 owners which only owned the the PS2: 16

% of PS3 owners which are in denial: 99
% of statistics which are made up (inclusive): 92.73
Hahah that made me lol.

That's uttershit, I'd love to know the source!
RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 04-11-2008 at 03:24 PM

quote:
quote:
Hmm. If you buy a PSP now you'll miss out on all the neat stuff... like playing [finishing] Crisis Core in the UK 2 months before its out :).

What Basilis is saying isn't exactly true. Gears of War and Halo 3 are amongst the best games I've played recently. Well, in the sense that I'd like them if I didn't hate shooting games on console [This will apply to MGS4 when it comes out]. Mice ftw.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-11-2008 at 03:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
quote:
quote:
Hmm. If you buy a PSP now you'll miss out on all the neat stuff... like playing [finishing] Crisis Core in the UK 2 months before its out :).

What Basilis is saying isn't exactly true. Gears of War and Halo 3 are amongst the best games I've played recently. Well, in the sense that I'd like them if I didn't hate shooting games on console [This will apply to MGS4 when it comes out]. Mice ftw.
Yeah, with a ps3 you can use a mouse to play a game if they have allowed it.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Steven on 04-11-2008 at 07:31 PM

Plus on xbox live they still make you pay for maps and expansion packs, which i think is so stupid since you already paid for the game, + xbox live..

RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by matt on 04-11-2008 at 07:43 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

alright, PS3 is best then :D i saw Crisis and this game looks awesome tho, i haven't play it yet
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 04-11-2008 at 09:00 PM

Crysis*

quote:
Plus on xbox live they still make you pay for maps and expansion packs, which i think is so stupid since you already paid for the game, + xbox live..
Wait till they come out for free then. It's not like they're forcing you to buy them

I don't see how the fact you've payed for a game is a reason why you shouldn't have to pay for extras, you're not re-paying for the game, you're buying something extra that the company has put more time and effort into to make. It's like buying an expansion to a PC game, except not as expensive.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by ShawnZ on 04-11-2008 at 09:54 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

alright, PS3 is best then :D i saw Crisis and this game looks awesome tho, i haven't play it yet

you can do that on any console that has usb ports! its just that no console game would be stupid enough to use a mouse, except for the PS3
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-11-2008 at 10:26 PM

How is that stupid :S Everyone knows that to play a FPS, a mouse is far more convenient and accurate then a controller! It's not stupid, it's something the xbox can't do, and you don't like that... just because you're a xbox fanboy

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 04-12-2008 at 12:10 AM

yeah you're only missing like a thousand buttons.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Steven on 04-12-2008 at 02:55 AM

I still think that xbox live should at least provide its users with 100% free content, and maybe make it worth 90 dollars, becasue honestly, you know youri going to end up buying the content since you paid for the live..

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 04-12-2008 at 02:59 AM

quote:
I still think that xbox live should at least provide its users with 100% free content, and maybe make it worth 90 dollars, becasue honestly, you know youri going to end up buying the content since you paid for the live..
i'd rather pay 50/60, not 90.... i would like to decide for myself what crap i want to buy :p
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-12-2008 at 05:51 AM

Can this thread have a poll?

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Chrono on 04-12-2008 at 05:58 AM

PS3 = Final fantasy 13 :drool:. i'll get one when the game's released, although it will take some time i guess :P

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by ShawnZ on 04-12-2008 at 06:31 AM

quote:

you only need xbox live silver to download content, which is free...
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 04-12-2008 at 03:03 PM

Chrono is right. I think I've already said that.

As for a mouse on a console, what's the point in that? You would need a keyboard as well, and that's just turning your console into an overpowered gaming PC...

Of course, that's pretty much what the PS3 is anyway... What with being able to install Linux and all.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-12-2008 at 03:41 PM

PSN is free... But then again how does that saying go?
"You get what you pay for."

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Kenji on 04-12-2008 at 05:09 PM

quote:
PSN is free... But then again how does that saying go?
"You get what you pay for."
Xbox 360: £200. PS3: £300.

Yeah, you get what you pay for.

Get a PS3, you wont regret it.:tongue:
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by ShawnZ on 04-12-2008 at 05:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
Get a PS3, you wont regret it.

until you start playing it
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-12-2008 at 05:20 PM

quote:
Xbox 360: £200. PS3: £300.

Yeah, you get what you pay for.
I think I'll take the smaller chassis and save the £100...

PS: In a more practical sense, aligning the interests of the company with the interests of the gamer by relating their profit to their clientelle ensures ongoing maintenance and high standards of the service and is hence beneficial to both the user and the company.
The only reason Sony is choosing to lose money on the PSN is because they're fighting a battle which they can't afford to lose, just don't expect your current standards to last.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by absorbation on 04-12-2008 at 10:27 PM

Actually the Xbox 360 Elite is £250-260. I would then have to buy a wireless adapter (£50) and a gold membership (£50) to have what I would want in the console.

This would mean the Xbox, for my specifications to be met would cost me around (£350) whereas the PS3 with a free HDMI cable and a game would cost me (£300). I found it odd the Xbox 360 would cost me more to retain the same features, but then again price wasn't really an issue for me, I just found it interesting :P.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 04-12-2008 at 10:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Actually the Xbox 360 Elite is £250-260. I would then have to buy a wireless adapter (£50) and a gold membership (£50) to have what I would want in the console.

This would mean the Xbox, for my specifications to be met would cost me around (£350) whereas the PS3 with a free HDMI cable and a game would cost me (£300). I found it odd the Xbox 360 would cost me more to retain the same features, but then again price wasn't really an issue for me, I just found it interesting :P.
You don't have to buy an elite though ;s Plus it's £40(cheaper from some places too) for Live gold, not £50 =/
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by RaceProUK on 04-14-2008 at 01:14 PM

quote:
Actually the Xbox 360 Elite is £250-260. I would then have to buy a wireless adapter
Isn't the Elite Wi-Fi out the box?
* RaceProUK checks...
Spend £250 on a console, and it doesn't have Wi-Fi? The Wii manages Wi-Fi at £180. Hell, the DS manages it at £100.
RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by djdannyp on 04-14-2008 at 04:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
quote:
Actually the Xbox 360 Elite is £250-260. I would then have to buy a wireless adapter
* RaceProUK checks...

Spend £250 on a console, and it doesn't have Wi-Fi? The Wii manages Wi-Fi at £180. Hell, the DS manages it at £100.

Exactly, which is yet another reason why PS3 rules....everything is included
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by RaceProUK on 04-14-2008 at 05:35 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
* RaceProUK checks...

Exactly, which is yet another reason why PS3 rules....everything is included
True, even the cheaper PS3 has inbuilt Wi-Fi. Not to mention that replacement hard drives are cheap (SATA laptop drives).
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-14-2008 at 07:28 PM

If i'm honest with you guys, i slagged the PS3 off when i had the xbox, thinking, no way is it as good as the xbox. I even told my dad not to get one. But when i got one for christmas, i love it, and  the xbox never gets used anymore!

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 04-14-2008 at 07:31 PM

quote:
If i'm honest with you guys, i slagged the PS3 off when i had the xbox, thinking, no way is it as good as the ps3. I even told my dad not to get one. But when i got one for christmas, i love it, and  the xbox never gets used anymore!
Yeah, I mean, how could the PS3 be as good as the ps3!
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Chris4 on 04-15-2008 at 12:14 AM

I've made a poll, vote here.

quote:
gold membership (£50)
$50 not £50 :P

£25-£30 cheapest, which I think is very reasonable.

quote:
quote:
If i'm honest with you guys, i slagged the PS3 off when i had the xbox, thinking, no way is it as good as the ps3. I even told my dad not to get one. But when i got one for christmas, i love it, and  the xbox never gets used anymore!
Haha :P
RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Phillip on 04-15-2008 at 10:34 AM

quote:

buy both and achieve this:

:P

The only thing I want out of all of that is his G25. Very unimpressive setup btw. Screen is way to close.
RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by zach on 04-15-2008 at 10:36 AM

quote:
quote:
* RaceProUK checks...

Yeah it is pretty cheap that it doesn't have it. MS must have thought that the majority of customers wouldn't use it (which is probably true) and would rather save that extra few dollars. Instead, the customers who do need it get ripped off (RRP $100USD)! Unless they look at the less convenient alternatives offered.

You would expect it in a portable console now (DS and PSP) though because they are portable; meant to be used on the go and not restricted by wires. A console usually sits and stays in the media room which should have wired (stable) networking offered.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-15-2008 at 11:19 AM

quote:
I've made a poll, vote here.

quote:
gold membership (£50)
$50 not £50 :P

£25-£30 cheapest, which I think is very reasonable.

quote:
quote:
Haha :P
Ooops, my bad! Sorry :P Corrected now
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-15-2008 at 11:49 AM

Wifi or not, there is no way I would (as of the time of writing this post) trade my XBOX 360 for a PS3, there is just nothing worth playing on the PS3 IMO.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Steven on 04-15-2008 at 11:52 AM

Volv, what about metal gear solid four, and what about socom confrontation? Also What about gta iv, thats worth playing on the ps3 since it came out on sony brands originally, so you know what your gonna get.  The thing is, for sony they dont need exclusive content for the ps3 version because they already know everyone will buy it and love it, its GTA, come on. Battle feild is also worth playing on the ps3, free online, same expeirence now, with the new ps store. Cod4, has map packs this week, lair, uncharted, warhawk (amazingly fun if you like adventure shooters, where you can land a plane ,do just about antyhing (tanks). ) As you can see their is alot the ps3 can do and is still untapped, but their are realy good games that you can play now, and especally in the coming summer months. When you get a jacket, or a shoe, do you get it perfect size, or maybe just a bit bigger so youll grow into it?

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-15-2008 at 12:02 PM

Firstly Steven, MGS4 and GTA IV are not yet out - I'm not a fan of either franchise (I only liked GTA 1 and Vice City), they're not really my style of game. I dont see why I would be tempted to play GTA IV on the PS3 because previous games were out on the PS2, that doesnt seem to make any sense to me :p

The number of quality exclusive games which are of my preference on the XBOX360 outweigh those on the PS3 and since gameplay of non-exclusives are virtually identical on both systems (in fact many comparison videos suggest that existing cross-platform games have better, if not the same, quality graphics on the 360), I may as well get the 360.

Fortunately I can afford to effectively pay a few dollars a month (by buying a 12 month subscription) for an online service which will maintain a high standard of quality because it brings in revenue of its own.

Lair was a huge flop (and many PS3 owners I know agree).
Uncharted - okay seems like a decent game, the PS3 would do well to have a few more games like this.
Warhawk, meh not my style at all.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Th3rmal on 04-15-2008 at 12:05 PM

quote:
When you get a jacket, or a shoe, do you get it perfect size, or maybe just a bit bigger so youll grow into it?
That was a good rhetorical question you used right there
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 04-15-2008 at 12:08 PM

quote:
Volv, what about metal gear solid four, and what about socom confrontation? Also What about gta iv, thats worth playing on the ps3 since it came out on sony brands originally, so you know what your gonna get.  The thing is, for sony they dont need exclusive content for the ps3 version because they already know everyone will buy it and love it, its GTA, come on. Battle feild is also worth playing on the ps3, free online, same expeirence now, with the new ps store. Cod4, has map packs this week, lair, uncharted, warhawk (amazingly fun if you like adventure shooters, where you can land a plane ,do just about antyhing (tanks). ) As you can see their is alot the ps3 can do and is still untapped, but their are realy good games that you can play now, and especally in the coming summer months. When you get a jacket, or a shoe, do you get it perfect size, or maybe just a bit bigger so youll grow into it?
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/14/poll-results-ac...pick-gta-iv-for-x/

Also, GTA IV wasn't coded for the PS3 natively, it was coded for the 360 and then ported over.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-15-2008 at 12:13 PM

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the achievement system - nobody has brought that up in the entire thread. The 360 achievement system adds (personally) many more hours on to games that I'd be done with in a few.

I spent many, many hours finishing COD4 on Veteran mode to get 1000/1000 gamerpoints - not to mention collecting all those Intel ietms :P
That system makes any game worth its salt.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-15-2008 at 02:26 PM

Yes, but youre all forgetting that the xbox has been out longer than the ps3. So give it some time, jeez.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 04-15-2008 at 02:53 PM

quote:
Yes, but youre all forgetting that the xbox has been out longer than the ps3. So give it some time, jeez.
what does that have to do with anything?
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Oxy on 04-15-2008 at 03:04 PM

Wii. :D

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by ren0s on 04-15-2008 at 05:12 PM

ps3 !!!!!!!!!!!

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Revan767 on 04-16-2008 at 02:16 AM

duh 360

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Chris4 on 04-16-2008 at 02:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ren0s
ps3 !!!!!!!!!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Revan767
duh 360
That's really not helping...
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-16-2008 at 08:33 AM

Look at the games currently available for each system, look at the games which will be available for each system in future. Decide which games you like most. Buy appropriate console.

Don't know why our opinions even matter tbh.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-16-2008 at 11:40 AM

quote:
quote:
ps3 !!!!!!!!!!!
quote:
duh 360
Yeah it is, look at the person who was banned, the "360" guy. Says it all really :P
RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-16-2008 at 12:29 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
ps3 !!!!!!!!!!!
quote:
duh 360
Yeah it is, look at the person who was banned, the "360" guy. Says it all really :P
Good to know PS3 fans have good points and hard facts to back up their argument.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-16-2008 at 12:52 PM

If you read my other points, you will see we do :) However I was just crackin' a joke, but you seem to have taken it to heart.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Chris4 on 04-16-2008 at 07:27 PM

Okay.. well.. £99.99 ($197 USD/CAD) for an Xbox 360 premium (pre-owned) has temped me. Special offer at GameStation opening in my town.

+ £40 for GTA IV, £12 Play & Charge Kit (Game.co.uk), £24 Xbox Live 12 months +1 month (eBay, trusted seller).

That's £176 ($347 USD/CAD) total.

Good deal I think! :grin:

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Steven on 04-16-2008 at 07:29 PM

Your getting a 360? Your loss, dont just get it because you found one good deal on ebay, make sure it coems with WARRANTY, because 33% of them break, and mine broke, i sent it out last june, i got it back august, have fun with that :P

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Chris4 on 04-16-2008 at 07:52 PM

quote:
Your getting a 360? Your loss, dont just get it because you found one good deal on ebay, make sure it coems with WARRANTY, because 33% of them break, and mine broke, i sent it out last june, i got it back august, have fun with that :P

Will do ;)

Was just thinking.. my modem is downstairs, this PC is upstairs in my bedroom connected to downstairs, wirelessly.
Xbox360 will go in my bedroom. Do I just have to get an ethernet cable to go from this PC -> Xbox360 ?

("Or just get a ps3 which comes with WiFi" .. yeah yeah, I know :wink:)
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 04-16-2008 at 07:55 PM

quote:
Okay.. well.. £99.99 ($197 USD/CAD) for an Xbox 360 premium (pre-owned) has temped me. Special offer at GameStation opening in my town.

+ £40 for GTA IV, £12 Play & Charge Kit (Game.co.uk), £24 Xbox Live 12 months +1 month (eBay, trusted seller).
quote:
make sure it coems with WARRANTY, because 33% of them break, and mine broke, i sent it out last june, i got it back august, have fun with that

That's £176 ($347 USD/CAD) total.

Good deal I think! :grin:

get it. liek, now.
quote:

only older boxes. i have 5 months with mine under heavy usage and nothing has failed. wouldn't change it even if it failed..

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 04-16-2008 at 08:23 PM

quote:

Was just thinking.. my modem is downstairs, this PC is upstairs in my bedroom connected to downstairs, wirelessly.
Xbox360 will go in my bedroom. Do I just have to get an ethernet cable to go from this PC -> Xbox360 ?

You can use ethernet cable to connect it to PC.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Chris4 on 04-16-2008 at 08:29 PM

dfkgskhjldzrfhgpoaihjsdogfhsfg]wsrdtfg
sdtfguiohjiwser[fngoaehrogfjkaesdmfg
aesdfgioajrdf[jktg lsdfg bsrtyh
wsrtfg[hjlwsrtpfglhjk#wsrt
hgwsrtjgyh pwsjrt;f hkwsrtj]g hjwtrsgyh
wrtsgfhjwrtosikghniwo rtsg[hiowsrtg[fh sort
h wrtyighonrsoftngogawerpdtfQWE3\MSDTFGOKLA]ERFTGJBAPSETDPOF

That's how I feel right now.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-16-2008 at 08:35 PM

Yeah, I totally understand!

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 04-16-2008 at 08:48 PM

quote:
yes.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by ShawnZ on 04-16-2008 at 08:52 PM

quote:

or you could just get the xbox wifi adapter...
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Steven on 04-16-2008 at 08:57 PM

Shawn, it costs $100. Another reason why the xbox ends up being more expensive in the end. So tell me chris, why the 360? We told you so much, and now, what made you pick it?

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 04-16-2008 at 09:02 PM

you can get the adapter for the original xbox which is about 20 and works too. don't let the lie to you!

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Steven on 04-16-2008 at 09:13 PM

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360wirelessnetadapter/

$99.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Chris4 on 04-16-2008 at 09:19 PM

quote:
So tell me chris, why the 360? We told you so much, and now, what made you pick it?
Because of the price, I did say that.

But I guess I'm just going to have to get neither for now.. because I just can't be bothered with it now...

Maybe I'll regret getting the 360, maybe I will regret not getting it (because I'll never see it at that price again for a long time, which is why I wanted to get it).. But it's doing my head in and I'm not going to waste my money on something I'll regret, so I won't get either.
RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by matt on 04-16-2008 at 09:53 PM

quote:
quote:
So tell me chris, why the 360? We told you so much, and now, what made you pick it?

But I guess I'm just going to have to get neither for now.. because I just can't be bothered with it now...

Maybe I'll regret getting the 360, maybe I will regret not getting it (because I'll never see it at that price again for a long time, which is why I wanted to get it).. But it's doing my head in and I'm not going to waste my money on something I'll regret, so I won't get either.

i think you can have whatever you want to, just want to have something and then have it, if you want the XBOX 360 just buy it, but if i were you i would have in mind that it doesn't matter what i bought now or will buy later because i can get whatever i want, just need to see the way to do it and  then do it.   anyways these are games.   think smartly and act fast, don't introvert thinking what to do, then just enjoy what you have dude.  (i'm enjoying so much my new PSP that we were talking about before) ;)

something else that i learned from MeEtc is.... buy what you really need..... :P
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 04-16-2008 at 10:05 PM

or you could just use the included ethernet cable...

RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 04-16-2008 at 10:34 PM

quote:
or you could just the included ethernet cable...
The distance between my room upstairs and the telephone socket downstairs requires 3m of telephone cable. It's quite likely that there's more of a distance for Chris. And I seriously doubt the included ethernet cable is longer than that...
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by roflmao456 on 04-16-2008 at 11:07 PM

quote:
quote:

just buy the 360 and play GTA IV :P

and if you don't like it you can always return it (in 30 days)
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 04-16-2008 at 11:19 PM

quote:
he distance between my room upstairs and the telephone socket downstairs requires 3m of telephone cable. It's quite likely that there's more of a distance for Chris. And I seriously doubt the included ethernet cable is longer than that...
he only needs computer- xbox
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Chris4 on 04-17-2008 at 01:05 AM

quote:
quote:
The distance between my room upstairs and the telephone socket downstairs requires 3m of telephone cable. It's quite likely that there's more of a distance for Chris. And I seriously doubt the included ethernet cable is longer than that...
I can connect xbox 360 -> my pc which will be in the same room, so if there's an included ethernet cable then that's alright :)

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah.. I'm hoping it will have some warranty as well.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-17-2008 at 03:10 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
I can connect xbox 360 -> my pc which will be in the same room, so if there's an included ethernet cable then that's alright :)

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah.. I'm hoping it will have some warranty as well.
So you've changed your mind, and you are going to buy a console?
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 04-17-2008 at 08:21 AM

quote:
quote:
which is why you connect the ethernet to the pc which will be sat right next to it, which had you read any of the posts you'd know is what was being talked about.
RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 04-17-2008 at 10:05 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
which is why you connect the ethernet to the pc which will be sat right next to it, which had you read any of the posts you'd know is what was being talked about.
Don't you need a Cat 5e crossover cable rather than a standard ethernet one to do that?
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 04-17-2008 at 10:24 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Don't you need a Cat 5e crossover cable rather than a standard ethernet one to do that?
ethernet cable comes with the xbox.. 8-)

Whether it's a cat5e or not idk, I've never checked.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 04-17-2008 at 10:43 AM

Almost all ethernet cables are Cat 5e, but they do not cross-over. You always require a crossover cable to implement a wired ad-hoc network. Usually the router takes care of this.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by zach on 04-17-2008 at 10:56 AM

I'm pretty sure the cable that comes with the x360 is a straight ethernet (not crossover) cable, but it's used for system link and I used it to go x360 => PC network bridge so idk. I think it's about 8ft but it varies apparently, some come with longer cables.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Th3rmal on 04-17-2008 at 12:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zach
I think it's about 8ft but it varies apparently, some come with longer cables.
wouldnt the manufacturers put the same length of wire in all the packs?
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 04-17-2008 at 12:57 PM

quote:
Almost all ethernet cables are Cat 5e, but they do not cross-over. You always require a crossover cable to implement a wired ad-hoc network. Usually the router takes care of this.
yeah you just plug in the ethernet cable and create a network bridge, why're you making such a fuss about it?
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Chris4 on 04-17-2008 at 01:57 PM

quote:
So you've changed your mind, and you are going to buy a console?
Might as well :)
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Phillip on 04-17-2008 at 02:09 PM

I know what I am going to be getting (H) Xbox ftw.. Well Banjo Kazooie ftw actually 8-) Anyone that doesn't like Banjo Kazooie obviously has serious mental conditions.

RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 04-17-2008 at 03:04 PM

quote:
quote:
yeah you just plug in the ethernet cable and create a network bridge, why're you making such a fuss about it?
I'm not making a fuss, I'm just pointing out.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by absorbation on 04-17-2008 at 03:24 PM

Banjooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :D

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-17-2008 at 03:53 PM

Yay Banjo Threeie!

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Chris4 on 04-19-2008 at 06:09 AM

I got my Xbox 360 ;)
Just purchased COD4 and Xbox Live Gold.. and soon to be GTA IV. :)

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Steven on 04-19-2008 at 07:17 PM

And how much did that cost you?

You said you got it because of price..
When really, you paid more.

(the online service)

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 04-19-2008 at 07:45 PM

quote:

(the online service)
better console won, get over it.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-19-2008 at 08:34 PM

quote:
quote:

(the online service)
better console won, get over it.
Nope, sorry. Chris would of bought the PS3 if he had more money. He told me lol.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 04-19-2008 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Nope, sorry. Chris would of bought the PS3 if he had more money. He told me lol.

its still a better console.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-19-2008 at 08:45 PM

No its not.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Chris4 on 04-19-2008 at 08:46 PM

quote:

(the online service)
Xbox Premium = £99 (preowned, gamestation)
Xbox Live 13 months = £24 (ebay)

Total = £123

Playstation 3 = £300, new. £240 preowned.

So how did I pay more for the 360?

quote:

I would get both :P
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Steven on 04-19-2008 at 11:05 PM

Im sure you can find a cheaper pre order if you really wanted to, i mean, how can one thing be $99, and the other having such a high rate? Im saying, if you really wanted to, you can find it cheaper!

BUT, its not my choice, and your loss, ill feel bad for you when socom confrontation and metal gear solid come out.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Phillip on 04-20-2008 at 04:35 AM

quote:
BUT, its not my choice, and your loss, ill feel bad for you when socom confrontation and metal gear solid come out.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Both consoles are pretty equal when it comes to gaming. Some games look better on the PS3 and some look better on the Xbox. The thing I like about the PS3 is you can run Linux on it and the thing I like about the Xbox is it has an awesome online community.

There is only 1 thing stopping me from getting a PS3 and that's Banjo Kazooie (H) Banjo Kazooie owns both your "socom confrontation and metal gear solid" twice over. I still remember being the first person in my street to pass it then everyone else wanted me over their house so I could help them pass it to.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-20-2008 at 05:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Some games look better on the PS3
Such as? Pics.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Phillip on 04-20-2008 at 05:19 AM

quote:
quote:
Such as? Pics.
Fucking smart ass fanboy comment here. I've seen side by side comparisons of games and if you haven't even bothered looking things like this up then please shut the fuck up about how awesome your Xbox 360 is :rolleyes:
RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-20-2008 at 06:48 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
Such as? Pics.
Fucking smart ass fanboy comment here. I've seen side by side comparisons of games and if you haven't even bothered looking things like this up then please shut the fuck up about how awesome your Xbox 360 is :rolleyes:
Actually the very fact that I watch these type of videos is the reason I'm asking you for evidence. As I stated in a previous post the graphics for existing cross platform games have been better (if not equal) on the 360.
Funny how half the arguments PS3 supporters have are constituted by unfounded obscene language.

quote:
The number of quality exclusive games which are of my preference on the XBOX360 outweigh those on the PS3 and since gameplay of non-exclusives are virtually identical on both systems (in fact many comparison videos suggest that existing cross-platform games have better, if not the same, quality graphics on the 360), I may as well get the 360.
If you haven't even bothered reading the thread then ...
quote:
please shut the fuck up

RE: RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Phillip on 04-20-2008 at 07:17 AM

quote:
Now your just being a dick. If you even bothered to read my first post properly you would understand where I was coming from. Just because you like the Xbox 360, that doesn't mean everyone else should have one. Yes I will get one to play Banjo Kazooie. I never once had a go at you because you chose the Xbox over the PS3. The Xbox has alot of good games on it we all know that, I never once said it didn't. So don't bring up shit from your previous posts about how you like the Xbox because it has alot of games you like on it. I never fucking denied that idiot.

I would just love to see your Xbox do some of the things the PS3 is capable of. The PS3 is all about entertainment. Anyone can plainly see that. So what if the Xbox has a slightly better GPU, if you want to bring useless facts to make the PS3 look like shit then here is a nice fact for you. My PC would tear your piece of shit Xbox apart when it comes to gaming.

The Xbox wins as a gaming console hands down but the PS3 owns your Xbox when it comes to entertainment. I support both consoles as my previous post states which is why in the end I will have both. Learn to read you fucking twat and stop being such a little fanboy cock. Oh and yes
quote:
please shut the fuck up
[Image: xboxkidjm7.jpg]
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by NanaFreak on 04-20-2008 at 07:36 AM

http://www.gran-turismo.com/en/movie/

i think that says it all

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Th3rmal on 04-20-2008 at 07:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
http://www.gran-turismo.com/en/movie/

i think that says it all
I'm going to have to disagree, i think this says it all
RE: RE: RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-20-2008 at 10:38 AM

Phillip,
Look, I don't know what the hell half your post was on about, it seemed like a bunch of random babble which was completely irrelevant to anything I have posted in relation to you.

quote:
quote:
Now your just being a dick. If you even bothered to read my first post properly you would understand where I was coming from.
You suggested that the PS3 had better graphics and I wanted to know where you got this information from and if you had any evidence to back it up. I'm not saying it's false, I'm saying that every comparrison video I have seen has had the 360 equalling if not bettering its competition.

quote:
So don't bring up shit from your previous posts about how you like the Xbox because it has alot of games you like on it. I never fucking denied that idiot.
Sigh, my quotation, and I repeat for ease of reading:
quote:
Was, in the context of my previous post, highlighting the fact that your statement:
quote:
I've seen side by side comparisons of games and if you haven't even bothered looking things like this up then please shut the fuck up ...
Was untrue and that your insolence was completely unfounded, not to mention unnecessary.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Phillip on 04-20-2008 at 11:11 AM

Wow I missed 1 post in a thread with 165 posts :rolleyes:

You say you have already seen these videos and you think the Xbox looks much better. They are pretty much the same. The only difference in most of them is the PS3 colours are less vibrant and sharpness is lower (which if your not a dickhead you can adjust your TV anyway..) and of course you are going to say the Xbox looks better than the PS3. You are a Xbox fanboy.

If you want evidence that the PS3 has better graphics then go check NanaFreak's post. Best looking game I have ever seen on a console. There's your evidence Volv. My previous post was not just for you. Sadly princess not everything is about you 8-). I was giving my reasons to why the Xbox isn't so fucking great (omg yes I said fuck btw). Stop fucking quoting me and stop being such a dick. Go play your Xbox (Y)

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-20-2008 at 12:06 PM

Guys, calm! He's chosen the xbox, totally his decision, he won't regret it I am sure, the xbox is a good peice of kit, and so id the ps3, it's matter of preference I suppose.
Just leave it, it's only going to end up turning into a flame war, and everyone getting pissed off, and getting banned.

(Ps3 > xbox)

* Nathan runs :P

-------------
Edit:

Can I just add one thing, people seem to be getting mixed up about?

Sure, the xbox has a marginally better gpu than the ps3, but the cpu makes up for it, the cpu outstrips the xbox's one, no question about it. What would you rather have? A few bricks with a few tiny details added, or a physics engine that blows your mind? Lets face it, the raw power of the cpu, can handle the physics so well, that it infact looks far better than the xbox.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Th3rmal on 04-20-2008 at 12:11 PM

quote:
Guys, calm! He's chosen the xbox, totally his decision, he won't regret it I am sure, the xbox is a good peice of kit, and so id the ps3, it's matter of preference I suppose.
Just leave it, it's only going to end up turning into a flame war, and everyone getting pissed off, and getting banned.

(Ps3 > xbox)

* Nathan runs :P
i count have put it better myself, and that is why i didnt post it :P
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Chris4 on 04-20-2008 at 12:13 PM

Please guys.. Stop the flame war. This thread is going to get locked if you carry on.

It's a games console for God's sake! :rolleyes: :tongue:

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-20-2008 at 12:14 PM

P.S Updated post :P

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by ShawnZ on 04-20-2008 at 12:30 PM

quote:
Wow I missed 1 post in a thread with 165 posts

he quoted it. twice.

quote:
(the online service)

the only thing you have to pay for is multiplayer, every other part of xbox live is free.

quote:

the xbox 360 has had all of these features since its arrival...

if anything the two biggest reasons for buying a 360 are acheivements and banjo-threeie :p
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-20-2008 at 12:33 PM

quote:
Yeah, it also had that beautifull feature, where if you played it for a few hours it would, like, blow up :O I've always wanted that feature :(
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by ShawnZ on 04-20-2008 at 12:34 PM

quote:
quote:
Yeah, it also had that beautifull feature, where if you played it for a few hours it would, like, blow up :O I've always wanted that feature :(

wow because it obviously actually does that
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-20-2008 at 12:35 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

wow because it obviously actually does that
Yeah, I think you will find that like 70% of them did, when they first came out.

Feel free to correct me on th percentage I can't remember exact percentage
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by ShawnZ on 04-20-2008 at 12:40 PM

quote:
Yeah, I think you will find that like 70% of them did, when they first came out.

Feel free to correct me on th percentage I can't remember exact percentage

blew up? they'd be banned from the shelves if 70% of them blew up.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-20-2008 at 12:46 PM

You know exactly what I mean shawnz, you just don't like being proven wrong, so you go into niggly little things.
THEY GOT A RROD, which rendered them as useful as a brick.

That clear enough for you?

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by ShawnZ on 04-20-2008 at 12:52 PM

quote:
You know exactly what I mean shawnz, you just don't like being proven wrong, so you go into niggly little things.
THEY GOT A RSOD, which rendered them as useful as a brick.

That clear enough for you?

an xbox that has overheated can be taken back to the store. an xbox that blows up means there's no xbox to take back and probably no living owner to do it.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-20-2008 at 12:59 PM

You're such an idiot sometimes shawnz, I don't mean literally blown up. I mean the components inside.
If someone says the computer has blown up, oh wait, does that mean its literally blown up, into thousands of pieces!? :O Of course it fucking doesn't. They're just talking about a component inside. So stop trying to be a cocky, clever little shit, its just not happening?

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-20-2008 at 01:01 PM

quote:
RSOD
RROD (Ring, not Screen), but we get it :P

Just on a final note to Phillip, as you said they are pretty much the same in terms of graphics although as I was saying, on the occasion that there is a difference it is the 360 which I have always seen with the advantage. I don't see how it has anything to do with me being a 360 fanboy.
Also, your excessive use of profanity does not mask your lack of ability to argue matters in a civil manner very well at all.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by ShawnZ on 04-20-2008 at 01:23 PM

quote:
You're such an idiot sometimes shawnz, I don't mean literally blown up. I mean the components inside.
If someone says the computer has blown up, oh wait, does that mean its literally blown up, into thousands of pieces!? :O Of course it fucking doesn't. They're just talking about a component inside. So stop trying to be a cocky, clever little shit, its just not happening?

wow, thanks for convincing me to get a PS3
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 04-20-2008 at 01:30 PM

I'm not trying to convince anyone shawnz, especially you, because nothing penetrates the thick Microsoft fan boy skin you have.

RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Phillip on 04-20-2008 at 02:58 PM

Volv you are a fanboy and you will always be a fanboy because you can't think for yourself. You take a perfectly reasonable post about both consoles being basically equals and you find some negative about the console that you don't like. That is why you are a fanboy. As for my "excessive use of profanity", stop being a little bitch and get over it.

quote:
Every person I know personally that bought their Xbox when they first came out has had the "RROD". I was talking to the guy at EBgames the other day and he says about 1 in 5 people bring their Xbox consoles back (I'm talking about the newer model here).

I've also heard stories about people modding their Xbox fans to avoid the "RROD" and had their consoles banned from Xbox Live for doing so. Now that's just a little pathetic IMO. Never having used Xbox Live myself can someone tell me what is so wonderful about it anyway..?
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Steven on 04-20-2008 at 03:03 PM

I have to admit xbox live was much better, due to the fact of the ps store being very messy and unorganized, but a week ago, a redisigned was made with a firmware update, and now the new ps store looks much better and easier to navigate! So yeah, just like the ps2 last generation,

it was all about entertainment, since DVD players were very expensive, people just bought a ps2 for the games and media, but now ,i really think sony is stepping it up, i mean, i just bought gt prologue yesterday, and OMG, it looks like real life even on a standard tv. The fact of the matter is, you can't change a fanboys mind, these things no matter what will be preference to them.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 04-20-2008 at 03:04 PM

quote:

I've also heard stories about people modding their Xbox fans to avoid the "RROD" and had their consoles banned from Xbox Live for doing so. Now that's just a little pathetic IMO. Never having used Xbox Live myself can someone tell me what is so wonderful about it anyway..?
Wtf? I've never heard of anyone getting banned for adding fans, think you've been bull shitted there.

RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Phillip on 04-20-2008 at 03:08 PM

quote:
quote:

Wtf? I've never heard of anyone getting banned for adding fans, think you've been bull shitted there.

Linky. Only fans that use different voltages.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 04-20-2008 at 03:15 PM

quote:
The fact of the matter is, you can't change a fanboys mind, these things no matter what will be preference to them.
You can change a fanboys mind, by beating the thing they're a fan of. I'd know, used to be a Sony fan boy(well, PS) was always planning to get a PS3, but then I played the 360. And, aha, I said goodbye Sony

quote:
quote:
quote:

Linky. Only fans that use different voltages.
"Now I’m not saying that I think that the fan banning is justified - if it’s even true - but in Microsoft’s defense, they’re being perfectly straight with us. If you mod your console in any way, shape, or form, they reserve the right to ban you. And it sounds like they do have a way to remotely scan it, so don’t try to be sneaky."

Sounds fair enough to me, I mean I don't want people cheating in my online matches.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Phillip on 04-20-2008 at 05:16 PM

Yes because prolonging the life of your Xbox 360 gives people a major advantage in Call of Duty (first game that came to mind) :rolleyes: That's like banning me from Counter Strike because I put silent fans in my computer. Once you own something you should be free to do what you like with it as long as it's not illegal.

Edit: But in Microsoft's defense they make the rules and they do have a dispute system.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Steven on 04-20-2008 at 05:39 PM

Phillip has a good point. Jus tbecause its written in the terms of agreement, it does not mean that its right/ smart. Yes I agree that its your fault for putting the fans in, but, does it really make a cheating difference online? Maybe it does, to the fact that if your playing free for all, your whole team will have died having the red ring of death, but you cheated, youll have those fans installed, keeping your 360 alive, and you will win the free for all game. Thats the only thing i can trhink of.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 04-20-2008 at 07:09 PM

They didn't ban him for using fans though, they banned him for using a modded console, they can't tell that he's using different fans, they can just tell that something has been done to the system. So it's not stupid in any way.

RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Phillip on 04-20-2008 at 09:45 PM

quote:
They didn't ban him for using fans though, they banned him for using a modded console, they can't tell that he's using different fans, they can just tell that something has been done to the system. So it's not stupid in any way.
That is stupid because they can't tell if he has done anything wrong at all so they just ban him anyway.
RE: RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by djdannyp on 04-21-2008 at 10:23 AM

quote:
quote:
That is stupid because they can't tell if he has done anything wrong at all so they just ban him anyway.

He modified his console which is explicitly against the rules, doesn't matter whether it gives him a performance advantage or not.

it's the same principle as a sports person being banned for the use of recreational drugs.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Phillip on 04-21-2008 at 11:47 AM

quote:
He modified his console which is explicitly against the rules, doesn't matter whether it gives him a performance advantage or not.
Never denied that.
quote:
But in Microsoft's defense they make the rules and they do have a dispute system.
quote:
it's the same principle as a sports person being banned for the use of recreational drugs.
No, its really not. The guy was just prolonging the life of his Xbox. Maybe if you said it's the same as a sports person getting a new kidney or something and getting banned from competing for it.

And for anyone else that wants to argue about this. I stated my opinion on the matter, that's it.. To quote myself again..
quote:
But in Microsoft's defense they make the rules and they do have a dispute system.

Edit @ Shawnz.. Ok whatever works for you 8-)
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by ShawnZ on 04-21-2008 at 12:27 PM

quote:
No, its really not. The guy was just prolonging the life of his Xbox. Maybe if you said it's the same as a sports person getting a new kidney or something and getting banned from competing for it.

it would be like the guy taking a tablespoon of cough medicine the day before and it coming up on a drug test.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 04-21-2008 at 01:24 PM

I think it's reasonable to suspect someone of abusing the XBL system (in terms of playing games online, uploading false achievements, downloading paid content for free, etc.) if they have made any modification to their console (considering that the MS servers can't see what you have actually done to your console).

I dont think banning such users is unfair whatsoever, the terms (I assume) state that modified units are not allowed on the service and hence you are warned beforehand. Furthermore, hardware faults are covered under warranty (which you would have to be an idiot to void by opening the unit if you are not opening it for other, less honest reasons).
RRODs are covered under warranty for 3 years and if your warranty has expired then there are alternative methods of cooling your system (not to mention that proper ventillation is sufficient in itself) than modifying the internal fans.

NOTE: This is a statement of opinion not directed at any person in particular.
...For some reason I get the feeling I should be expecting insults thrown my way anyway.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by RaceProUK on 04-21-2008 at 03:56 PM

quote:
So what if the Xbox has a slightly better GPU
Actually, technically the PS3's GPU is better. The reason games may look better on the 360 is that it's easier to utilise all of the system's performance.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by absorbation on 04-21-2008 at 05:11 PM

quote:
quote:
So what if the Xbox has a slightly better GPU
Actually, technically the PS3's GPU is better. The reason games may look better on the 360 is that it's easier to utilise all of the system's performance.

And I believe the engine used has been around for many years, so developers have got used to its mechanics and can produce better games around it. Arguably though when developers get more experienced with the PS3 they will start producing getter graphics than the Xbox 360.

But who cares about graphics when the game isn't fun.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by RaceProUK on 04-21-2008 at 05:23 PM

I've just been comparing the raw figures for the CPUs and GPUs for both consoles. By the numbers, the PS3 wins the CPU and the GPU (the RSX is literally twice the power).

However:

quote:
Couldn't have said it better myself.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Matt-in on 04-25-2008 at 02:42 PM

I have never played with Ps3 either 360 But Im hoping GTA IV Will release for Pc :( I HOPE SO :) But I believe the both gaming platforms are similar too So Try to find out a person who has played GTA IV on the platforms and learn about their experiences :) Im sure it should give you an idea...

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 05-02-2008 at 04:19 PM

Just thought this was interesting, they're both pretty much identical, just minor brightness/contrast differences:
Grand Theft Auto IV: Comparison Video (PS3 v XBOX360)

EDIT: Btw, GTA4 is an awesome game :D (and I havent been a very big fan of the new 3D GTA generation)

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Kenji on 05-02-2008 at 04:36 PM

quote:

EDIT: Btw, GTA4 is an awesome game :D (and I havent been a very big fan of the new 3D GTA generation)
[29/04/08][15:22:13] <Volv> so... gta4
[29/04/08][15:22:37] <Volv> is not so great a game
[29/04/08][15:40:13] <Volv> gta4 sux
[29/04/08][16:36:44] <Volv> gta4 is pretty lamecakes

wut?
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 05-02-2008 at 04:39 PM

haha, that was when I was only a couple of hours into it and trying out the multiplayer. The multiplayer is still not so great but the next day I regretted those statements on the basis of single player alone.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 05-02-2008 at 04:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by http://kotaku.com/386010/gta-iv-breaks-british-sales-record-360-outsells-ps3
Grand Theft Auto IV has set a new record for first-day sales in the UK, shifting 609,000 units in a single day. This beats the previous record of 501,000, set by San Andreas in 2004. In terms of which version did the best business, ChartTrack report that the 360 one slightly outsold the PS3 version, 335,000 to 274,000.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by absorbation on 05-02-2008 at 08:10 PM

Reviews are claiming the PS3 version to be slightly superior, but by no real notable degree. The IGN Xbox team just said the PS3 version just feels better.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Menthix on 05-02-2008 at 08:22 PM

quote:
So true :banana:

* Menthix gets his SNES games and leaves the kiddies at war
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 05-02-2008 at 11:04 PM

I've only seen reviews saying the prefer one or the other because they prefer said console. The game in itself are exactly the same, except the PS3 has that horrible sixaxis.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 05-03-2008 at 10:58 AM

Mmm yes GTA4 is amazing. Although I was kinda confused as to what the point of the private strip shows it? :P

Even if I did have to spend like £350 to get it... [Had to buy a current-gen console to get it - got a 360, simply because everyone else I know has one => XBL]

There's no noticeable differences between the two games in reality, just brightness like someone said.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by absorbation on 05-03-2008 at 11:29 AM

quote:
I've only seen reviews saying the prefer one or the other because they prefer said console. The game in itself are exactly the same, except the PS3 has that horrible sixaxis.

The IGN head editor for Xbox 360 said he preferred the PS3 version, but claimed there was very little difference.

Also the dualshock controller should be out in the UK soon :P.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by toddy on 05-03-2008 at 02:41 PM

quote:
Mmm yes GTA4 is amazing. Although I was kinda confused as to what the point of the private strip shows it? :P

Even if I did have to spend like £350 to get it... [Had to buy a current-gen console to get it - got a 360, simply because everyone else I know has one => XBL]

There's no noticeable differences between the two games in reality, just brightness like someone said.
:O 360's are like £150-200 now :S
RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 05-03-2008 at 04:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:

:O 360's are like £150-200 now :S
Elite is still like £250, and I got Halo 3, Gears of War, GTA4, 2nd controller, battery pack x2 and a VGA cable. :)
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 05-03-2008 at 04:51 PM

quote:
quote:

The IGN head editor for Xbox 360 said he preferred the PS3 version, but claimed there was very little difference.

Also the dualshock controller should be out in the UK soon :P.
dodgy 'cause the PSM(or someone similar) guys recommended the xbox360 version :P
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Justin on 05-03-2008 at 05:21 PM

quote:

You can turn SIXAXIS off :P
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 05-03-2008 at 05:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JustIncredible
quote:

I know, that doesn't make it any less crap though
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 05-03-2008 at 05:54 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

How is the SIXAXIS crap? It adds more fun into the game, everyone I know likes it, maybe you dont like it, because its not on the xbox.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Kenji on 05-03-2008 at 06:03 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How is the SIXAXIS crap? It adds more fun into the game, everyone I know likes it, maybe you dont like it, because its not on the xbox.
haha, yeah. sixaxis is win.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 05-03-2008 at 06:03 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Every review I've read says it's shit.

http://kotaku.com/384432/sixaxis-brings-nothing-t...helicopter-chassis
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 05-03-2008 at 06:06 PM

*cough* http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=389555

quote:
I got the game last night and after the initial install it got stuck on the "starting new game" screen...after reading some posts on us.playstation.com, I guess the only workaround is to either sign out of PSN or disable the ps3 internet connection (via XMB)...this is what I did and it has sinced worked...no problems so far.
quote:
so ps3 users cant play online? great....<censored>

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 05-03-2008 at 06:08 PM

That's not the PS3's fault lol. Its the rockstars developers fault.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 05-03-2008 at 06:09 PM

quote:
Works fine on the 360
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 05-03-2008 at 06:09 PM

So it's true that it's not working online?

quote:
lol, 360 fanboys are probaly soo happy. they were talking about how they had a better service because they paid. lol they do because their money went probably to that deal for rockstar to make it better on the 360.
^ Agreed :p
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 05-03-2008 at 06:12 PM

quote:
quote:
Works fine on the 360
Whats you're point?

quote:
So it's true?
Well if the quotes you got are from trusted sources then I suppose so?
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 05-03-2008 at 06:14 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
Works fine on the 360
Whats you're point?

360 is better.
Naw but my point is that it's hardly the developer's fault, it's the fact that the PS3 is hard to code for.
RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 05-03-2008 at 06:14 PM

quote:
quote:
So it's true?
Well if the quotes you got are from trusted sources then I suppose so?
Well I don't doubt there's some problem, but I'm not sure if it affects the entire player base or just a small portion.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 05-03-2008 at 06:15 PM

Probs just a small portion my mates haven't had that problem.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 05-03-2008 at 06:21 PM

It's actually pretty widespread |-)

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by RaceProUK on 05-03-2008 at 07:11 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Works fine on the 360
Whats you're point?

360 is better.
Naw but my point is that it's hardly the developer's fault, it's the fact that the PS3 is hard to code for.
Actually, it is the developer's fault, because the PSN doesn't offer the same sort of centralised online system that XBox Live does. On PSN, it's up to the developer to create the online gameplay system. On 360, the developer uses XBox Live.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by androo123 on 05-28-2008 at 08:30 PM

Why don't you make a poll....

Well I have a PS3 and it is great, much better than that XBOX 360, graphics are better, free online, if your willing to pay A LOT extra.

OH ya, and I have a Wii. GOOD FOR ME!!

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Works fine on the 360
Whats you're point?

360 is better.
Actually, it is the developer's fault, because the PSN doesn't offer the same sort of centralised online system that XBox Live does. On PSN, it's up to the developer to create the online gameplay system. On 360, the developer uses XBox Live.

Thats because he probably gets XBOX online free, I agree, the online on XBOX is better, but you have to pay.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Oxy on 05-28-2008 at 08:40 PM

Wii.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 05-28-2008 at 10:41 PM

Wii fails. I'm yet to have come across a Wii game that I could play as much as I've played GTA4 over the past two three weeks. (Damned, has it really been *that* long?)

In case you're wondering, even with all my "If I had the money, I'd get a PS3", I got a 360 Elite. (H)

Simply cause everyone I know has one, and online play isn't as much fun with randoms imo.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 05-28-2008 at 10:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by androo123
Why don't you make a poll....

Well I have a PS3 and it is great, much better than that XBOX 360, graphics are better, free online, if your willing to pay A LOT extra.

OH ya, and I have a Wii. GOOD FOR ME!!

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Works fine on the 360
Whats you're point?

360 is better.

Thats because he probably gets XBOX online free, I agree, the online on XBOX is better, but you have to pay.
Um no, I pay for my online, and it's awesome, best service out there.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by user27089 on 05-30-2008 at 04:24 PM

I may have written in this thread before, but whatever.

I was playing on a Playstation 3 for a few hours the other day, on some of the games that I've owned/played on the Xbox 360 and so far I have to say that I prefer the 360. I admit that they're stupid for refusing to get blu-ray attachments etc (although I think later in the year they will), but the hardware etc is just better.

Go to eurogamer.net for comparison on the games about most of the time the 360 dominates or is better (even if it's very slight - read the GTA IV article for example).

I can't just say that I played on a PS3 and didn't like it without explanations so I'll explain myself.

The Controllers:
The L2/R2 buttons are convex, so without having a great grip your fingers are likely to slip off, whereas on the 360 they're concave so you'll always have a great grip on. Also the resistance of the buttons is really peculiar, it just feels wrong. The 360 has got their button placement perfect now, whereas Sony have been too scared to change their controller for ten years. Obviously it's good that they've, ahem, adapted to the Wii, by adding 'six-axis', but it's largely a novelty that isn't of much use and was unnecessary - they should've kept the rumble feature in, instead of having to bring out a new controller that consumers will have to buy.

That's what I love about the 360, it's kept to it's roots and kept simple - nothing unnecessary, the only changes they've made in updated version of 360 controllers are aesthetic, such as the release of the elite controllers, and if you compare the controllers to the original ones that came with the 360, you'll see that they were originally glossy, but now they're matte.

Check out the concave/convex thing I was talking about, you'll see what I mean.

The Console:
Initially, I liked the way that the Playstation 3 looked, but heck does it need to be so shiny? They've tried to make it look futuristic, but when I saw it in person and looked at it, the dirt is really apparent - fingerprints cover it if you aren't careful when moving it making it just look a bit filthy (don't you just love matte? :p).

Sony users used to moan about the Xbox, saying how big and chunky it was, I find it hilarious that now it's the other way around, they call it 'beefy'. It's hilarious. It is a massive console, but I'm not going to moan about that, but once again, why convex? That's using more material, which is a waste of money and a waste of space. The emphasis of the 360 is of course, on the concavity. It is smaller and therefore easier to fit in your room.

In all honesty though, everyone has to agree that the Wii is the best looking one, I don't even own it but it's eye-candy.

[Image: black-on-black-xbox-360-elite-vs-ps3-whi...e-1337.jpg]

The 360 just looks so much nicer.

The hardware:
I don't understand why the PS3 uses a 640p resolution that means it has to upscale, I'm sure there are technical reasons for it but it's just made it more difficult for developers to create multi-platform games - just look at GTA IV once again. It's not even that good an idea, just use regular resolutions and it'll make everything easier.

Why has the PS3 got an internal hard-drive? Surely it'd make more sense for Sony to have made it easy for users to remove the HDD without voiding the warranty, what happens when they download games, demos etc and want to keep them but can't? It's completely ridiculous, especially if you take into account the fact that some of the games on the PS3 use the hard-drive feature, where several gigabytes are installed onto the PS3 to make loading times 'quicker'. I've put that in inverted commas because this feature really doesnt do a lot for loading times, again a useless feature. The 360 of course, does have a removable hard-drive, which can be upgraded to the new, 6-times bigger 120gb hard-drive, to allow users to download all of the high-definition movies from Xbox Live - how very handy.

I stood in the Sony Entertainment shop once watching them play the PS3 on a huge high-definition tv, which in all fairness did look great. But the exhibitionist was then queried by a teenager: "But does this have better graphics than the Xbox 360", to which the exhibitionist was obliged to reply: "Well, no. The xbox 360 has a better processor, RAM and the graphics are slightly better... but the PS3 is a great competitor because of Blu-ray, which means games load faster, but run quicker on the xbox" I think that speaks for itself. (That was verbatim obviously). The frame rate is also constantly better on the 360, so you know... that's another positive.

Obviously, Sony's Blu-ray feature is pretty much flawless, having destroyed hd-dvd (haha, that makes me laugh), so that's the definite buying point of the Playstation 3. However, why not wait a while, because the 360 system may surprise some people with blu-ray? Who knows.

Obviously, there's the 'ring of death' problem, which I have honestly had recently, after over a year of having the console, but I have to say that the service for getting that fixed is all pre-paid and astounding, I got it back within 2 weeks. I'm sure that when purchasing a newer system as well, this is much less likely to happen.

Just look at that Screenshot comparison, check out the anti-aliasing etc, the ps3 just has blur to try to get rid of it (due to up-scaling).

The games:
Every year since the PS3 came out, owners have simply said: "Yeah, they may not have any good games... but this year they will completely dominate the 360." I first heard that 2 years ago... The amount of amazing games that you can get on the Xbox 360 is immense: Halo, Gears of War, Project Gotham,  Bioshock... obviously then you've got the cross-platform games that in all fairness are great (Oblivion :drool:), but if you play them the xbox 360 usually out-performs the PS3. Seriously, check it out... I've played Oblivion on PS3/360 on high-definition tvs to be so disappointed by the PS3's performance.

This is largely down to the fact that PS3 is supposed to be a really time-consuming console to develop games for, due to how complicated it is... something that I feel Sony has screwed up on. This means that time after time, titles are being delayed - oh no.

[Image: console-comparison.JPG]

We can see how much 360 had a nice head start.

Online:
It is great that the PS3 offers online play for free, making it a great competitor, because you can get on there with all of the eight year olds who don't know what they're doing. But seriously, it's clear that because it's free, there have to be sponsors, otherwise they wouldn't run and therefore the servers aren't going to be as good (Gamespy) as those that you have to pay a yearly rate for, allowing the servers to be kept up and running for long periods of time, faster loading times etc.

Obviously we have to take into account the fact that every service has downtime, just look at what happened to Xbox Live in December, that was catastrophic. But on a whole, PS3 users have suffered more when compared to the 360 when it comes to online play.

Everyone knows that Xbox Live is award-winning and runs great if you've played on. Obviously I have played on the PS3 online, to be disturbed constantly by people with awful broadband lagging, making it near impossible to play and enjoy - those who spend money on Xbox Live are more likely to have the disposable income to spend on a better internet connection, it's basic maths.

Conclusion:
The Playstation 3 is a great console with some amazing features, such as blu-ray, but other than that I don't think there's a lot to it, especially when you can purchase a cheaper console that competes with it unbelievably and has a wider array of games that you'll enjoy playing.

Obviously I am an Xbox 360 owner, so you may think this is just one hell of a biased post - but I've kept my biases to a minimum and tried to be as objective as possible. I have been disappointed in the past by the Xbox 360, but not as disappointed as I have been by the Playstation 3. It's all down to the individual to be honest, but personally I feel that the Xbox 360 is a better console, where the PS3 has got it wrong the xbox has got it right, and Microsoft really have got it right.

I hope people read this, it's taken me like 40 minutes haha.

If you just look around for comparisons you'll see that the Xbox 360 far outperforms the PS3, cpu wise etc.

Go for it.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 05-30-2008 at 04:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Obviously we have to take into account the fact that every service has downtime, just look at what happened to Xbox Live in December, that was catastrophic.
And they're fixing that ;p

quote:

Obviously, Sony's Blu-ray feature is pretty much flawless, having destroyed hd-dvd
by destroyed, you mean out-bribed right? :P
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by user27089 on 05-30-2008 at 04:42 PM

Yeah you know what I mean though. In all honesty blu-ray is great and nobody can say it isn't, but I'm not saying that it's good for the PS3, it's just a good format.

And yes, they fixed it a while ago, they even compensated xbox live gold users with a free game, how generous. Microsoft really have their customer support sussed.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by absorbation on 05-30-2008 at 05:30 PM

I just brought myself a PS3, and in all honesty I believe it has a better feel to it, than the weekend I was playing my friend's Xbox 360.

I think the console has a brighter future ahead, I just couldn't see much else on the 360 that is coming in recent years (apart from Banjo).

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Kenji on 05-30-2008 at 06:04 PM

Traxor, do you even know what you are talking about? First of all, You can upgrade the HDD, without voiding the warranty, You are also not limited to 120GB. I have a 500GB HDD in my PS3 :). The PS3 doesn't "use a 640p resolution" either. The only game I know of that does, is GTA IV, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Doesn't halo run at 640p anyway?

My PS3 also fits nicely under my TV, Unlike my old 360 because of its huge external Power Supply.

Almost everything in your post reeks of M$ fanboyism.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 05-30-2008 at 06:07 PM

I'm eager for the PS3 Home to come out, it will dominate xbox live! :P

(P.S, you've chosen a great console ross :P)

I'm with Dazzy...

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 05-30-2008 at 06:28 PM

none of you has a NPOV, face it. now now, PS3 fanboys, support your opinions the way traxor did.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 05-30-2008 at 06:54 PM

quote:
Doesn't halo run at 640p anyway?

Yes, but a far superior 640p.
quote:
Originally posted by bnet
Naturally it’s more complicated than that. In fact, you could argue we gave you 1280 pixels of vertical resolution, since Halo 3 uses not one, but two frame buffers – both of which render at 1152x640 pixels. The reason we chose this slightly unorthodox resolution and this very complex use of two buffers is simple enough to see – lighting. We wanted to preserve as much dynamic range as possible – so we use one for the high dynamic range and one for the low dynamic range values. Both are combined to create the finished on screen image.

This ability to display a full range of HDR, combined with our advanced lighting, material and postprocessing engine, gives our scenes, large and small, a compelling, convincing and ultimately “real” feeling, and at a steady and smooth frame rate, which in the end was far more important to us than the ability to display a few extra pixels. Making this decision simpler still is the fact that the 360 scales the “almost-720p” image effortlessly all the way up to 1080p if you so desire.

In fact, if you do a comparison shot between the native 1152x640 image and the scaled 1280x720, it’s practically impossible to discern the difference. We would ignore it entirely were it not for the internet’s propensity for drama where none exists. In fact the reason we haven’t mentioned this before in weekly updates, is the simple fact that it would have distracted conversation away from more important aspects of the game, and given tinfoil hats some new gristle to chew on as they catalogued their toenail clippings.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Basilis on 05-30-2008 at 07:13 PM

I don't know about the quality of the graphics or the console quality because I haven't used either PS3 or XboX 360. But I believe that the design of PS3 cannot be compared with XboX 360. The PS3 looks amazing. Also, the controller of PS3 is more easy and practical to use while the controller of XboX 360 is very big and difficult to play with. Last but not least, PS3 has a variety of games while XboX has contracts only with several companies and so it has fewer games

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 05-30-2008 at 07:21 PM

quote:
I don't know about the quality of the graphics or the console quality because I haven't used either PS3 or XboX 360. But I believe that the design of PS3 cannot be compared with XboX 360. The PS3 looks amazing. Also, the controller of PS3 is more easy and practical to use while the controller of XboX 360 is very big and difficult to play with. Last but not least, PS3 has a variety of games while XboX has contracts only with several companies and so it has fewer games
Sorry but you are clearly misinformed.

The Xbox's game range is far superior to that of the PS3s.

Nor can you give a comparison of the controllers if you
quote:
haven't used either PS3 or XboX 360.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 05-30-2008 at 07:21 PM

quote:
Also, the controller of PS3 is more easy and practical to use while the controller of XboX 360 is very big and difficult to play with
quote:
I haven't used either PS3 or XboX 360
:zippy:

quote:
PS3 has a variety of games while XboX has contracts only with several companies and so it has fewer games
Again, :zippy:

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 05-30-2008 at 07:24 PM

I'm sorry basillis you're talking crap :p

The ps3 controllers are no where near as good as the xbox ones (and I can admit that) and they're are waaay more games for the xbox than the ps3 :p

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Basilis on 05-30-2008 at 07:34 PM

The PS3 controllers are the same used in PS1 and PS2. They are practical. The XboX controllers are very big, like XboX one's controllers which I have played with. You may find it easier to play with XboX controllers but most people are used to the PS3 ones

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 05-30-2008 at 07:36 PM

quote:
The PS3 controllers are the same used in PS1 and PS2. They are practical. The XboX controllers are very big, like XboX one's controllers which I have played with. You may find it easier to play with XboX controllers but most people are used to the PS3 ones
Errr no, the Xbox 360 controllers are totally different to the Xbox controllers. I would agree with you that the Xbox controllers were chunky and horrible, but all that has changed.

The 360 controllers are pure awesome, the layout is best for gaming, for example the analogue placement.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 05-30-2008 at 07:37 PM

Sorry but you're a bit behind the times basilis :p

I'm with vax.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Basilis on 05-30-2008 at 07:41 PM

Anyway, I had played in a mall with XboX 360 controllers and I found it difficult. You may got used to them but I doubt they reach PS3's easiness in use.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 05-30-2008 at 08:25 PM

quote:
I would agree with you that the Xbox controllers were chunky and horrible, but all that has changed.
they are not that different from the second controller revision of the original xbox.... the original original controllers are HORRIBLE
quote:
You may got used to them but I doubt they reach PS3's easiness in use.
stop trying to correct your bullshit
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 05-30-2008 at 09:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
I would agree with you that the Xbox controllers were chunky and horrible, but all that has changed.
they are not that different from the second controller revision of the original xbox.... the original original controllers are HORRIBLE
but I wasn't talking about the second revision, to me that's not the xbox controller :P
RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 05-30-2008 at 10:31 PM

quote:
Anyway, I had played in a mall with XboX 360 controllers and I found it difficult. You may got used to them but I doubt they reach PS3's easiness in use.
Perhaps I may have big hands (but I don't think I do), but the 360 controller fits perfectly in my hand - my thumb can be on both thumbsticks while my index finger is on the triggers.

Now that I'm comparing, my PS2 controller actually feels kinda small...

Traxor's post is epic. [And yet I find myself unable to say tl;dr]

But I don't really think the 360 has a better processor than the PS3...
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 05-31-2008 at 12:58 AM

quote:
quote:
Perhaps I may have big hands (but I don't think I do), but the 360 controller fits perfectly in my hand - my thumb can be on both thumbsticks while my index finger is on the triggers.

Now that I'm comparing, my PS2 controller actually feels kinda small...

Traxor's post is epic. [And yet I find myself unable to say tl;dr]

But I don't really think the 360 has a better processor than the PS3...
The ps3 has a far better proccessor, so that quote must be bullshit.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by user27089 on 05-31-2008 at 11:58 AM

Sorry Daz, I was led to believe that the PS3 did run a 640p resolution as a standard. If I was a Microsoft fanboy, then I wouldn't have written that the PS3 was good etc,c I would've completely bashed it.

Also, Basilis... You said that you'd never played either then changed your mind... you haven't got a clue what you're talking about, so let people who do have a discussion about it.

As for the cpu, the ps3 only has one core whereas the xbox 360 has three, so it has more processing power.

[Image: microsofts-xbox-360-vs-sonys-playstation...728972.jpg]

quote:

The Playstation controllers require you to stretch your thumb across to use the analogue stick. The shape of the controller suggests that the d-pad is the most used - when it's not anymore, it's the analogue stick. That's what's good about the 360 controller, everything is in a great position, the triggers, the bumpers, the guide button etc.

PS3 controllers have awful triggers (if you'd read my post for an explanation), but it's great that they're rechargable.

Daz, sorry about getting the hard-drive thing wrong too, I just thought that you couldn't upgrade it... tbh that's an awesome feature by Sony to allow you to do that. It's just a little harder to change than the 360.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Kenji on 05-31-2008 at 12:05 PM

quote:
As for the cpu, the ps3 only has one core whereas the xbox 360 has three, so it has more processing power.
uh? the PS3 has a Cell CPU, That has 8 Cores.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vikke on 05-31-2008 at 12:14 PM

The PS3 has better hardware specs, but the Xbox 360 more games. Some of the games gets ported to PS3 (like Call of Duty 4), and these ports aren't always using the PS3 to the max because the game mainly was written for the Xbox 360.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 05-31-2008 at 12:54 PM

Sorry traxor but where are you getting your "facts" from?

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 05-31-2008 at 01:23 PM

quote:
ign/gamespy by looks of it |-)
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 05-31-2008 at 01:26 PM

Blah, I give up - everyone's so stubborn :p

On another note, I bought GTA liberty city today :D - But I can't play it till sunday because PS3 is there :p

RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 05-31-2008 at 03:04 PM

quote:
quote:
uh? the PS3 has a Cell CPU, That has 8 Cores.
Not really. The PS3 has 7 cores - one is disabled at factory to increase processor yields - this may be changed when they move to a 45nm process, but I'm not sure. A further core is reserved for use by the XMB.

In theory, the 360 has 3 cores with 2 hardware threads per core (it's kinda like hyper-threading, but implemented better than on the P4) but the PS3 has 6 cores.

Also, the Cell architecture has in theory a much faster instruction set for a floating point number (but not for a double), but it's just that people don't really want to have to code assembly when making games. (Admittedly I believe the Cell compiler can make several optimizations in this respect if used properly.)
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by absorbation on 05-31-2008 at 04:03 PM

Don't trust Gametrailers for comparisons, they are very bias against the PS3; they have even been forced to remove some due to the vast amount of email they get. They have a habit of messing with the RGB options and brightness to make the PS3 look worse.

That being said the PS3 controller isn't very good. The Xbox is slightly better, yet doesn't look as slick. But the Wii has the best controller without a doubt, it is so comfortable and extremely fun.

Wii is superior!

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 05-31-2008 at 04:25 PM

quote:
The Xbox is slightly better, yet doesn't look as slick.
usability > looks

wii fail.... together!
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by paperless on 05-31-2008 at 05:02 PM

Im saving for an X360 but this kind of decision always has to do with you.

I think Xbox Live is what really makes me prefer XBOX 360

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Chris4 on 06-01-2008 at 02:09 AM

I have an xbox 360, but does anyone else think the console is old generation? For example the CD tray is like old generation in my eyes, similar to the the PS2, the CD tray comes out. When I first came across a Wii or PS3 I was wowed by the fact that it doesn't have a CD tray, you just put the CD in.

The feel of the 360 just seems old and not as well built compared to the others and I was disappointed when I first got it.

Note: That doesn't change the fact that its a good console :P

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 06-01-2008 at 03:16 AM

I think the console looks great. CD slots where you just push in the disc have been around for ages in motor vehicles (and elsewhere) - they're not very special and I dont think they define a 'next gen' design...
You probably just feel that way because you don't actually have a PS3 or Wii :p

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by mattisdada on 06-01-2008 at 03:22 AM

Personaly, the self loading CD trays do give it a bit more of a next gen edge. Just a bit.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 06-01-2008 at 03:32 AM

you can't use smaller sized disc on self loading drives..... that sucks! i have about 10 that i can't use on my laptop...

also, if a disc gets stuck for some reason, its REALLY easy to open the tray, unlike the self loading drives.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by ddunk on 06-01-2008 at 03:45 AM

quote:
you can't use smaller sized disc on self loading drives..... that sucks! i have about 10 that i can't use on my laptop...

also, if a disc gets stuck for some reason, its REALLY easy to open the tray, unlike the self loading drives.
the wii can play gamecube (mini)discs, so it is possible :p
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 06-01-2008 at 03:51 AM

****not all of them :P

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 06-01-2008 at 12:24 PM

Half-height eco-disks don't work in slot-loaders. :P

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by user27089 on 06-01-2008 at 01:13 PM

quote:

Some reliable sources; name, as people have already said, ign, eurogamer, gamespot, several tech guys and of course my own personal experience.

As for the whole slot-loader thing, I agree it is pretty cool, but the Wii one feels so much more durable than the ps3 one.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 06-01-2008 at 01:19 PM

Do you own both consoles?

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by user27089 on 06-01-2008 at 02:52 PM

quote:
Do you own both consoles?

No but I've had my fair share of play-time on all of the current (and previous) consoles. I've owned all of the Sony consoles, owned an Xbox & Xbox 360. I preferred the PS2 to the Xbox, it was better.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by absorbation on 06-01-2008 at 05:00 PM

The Xbox 360 doesn't have a self loading tray? I can't imagine it without one, what does it look like, the console looked perfect to suck up disks to me, whereas the PS3, I thought would have one popping out.

The Wii one is extremely clever, from its LCD lights to the way it positions the disk.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by RaceProUK on 06-02-2008 at 06:11 PM

quote:
Why has the PS3 got an internal hard-drive? Surely it'd make more sense for Sony to have made it easy for users to remove the HDD without voiding the warranty
I know this is a late response, but the PS3 hard drive is actually an absolute doddle to remove. Simply prise off the small cover on the left end (viewed from the front), flip the handle up, slide and remove! What's more, is a standard SATA laptop drive ;)

And no warranty stickers need removing.

And I know because I have a PS3, and removed the hard drive, just to see what it was.

Edit: I've uploaded a picture, linked because it's a biggie.
PS3 Hard Drive part-removed
By the way, I forgot about the little screw.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 06-02-2008 at 06:44 PM

quote:
quote:
Why has the PS3 got an internal hard-drive? Surely it'd make more sense for Sony to have made it easy for users to remove the HDD without voiding the warranty
I know this is a late response, but the PS3 hard drive is actually an absolute doddle to remove. Simply prise off the small cover on the left end (viewed from the front), flip the handle up, slide and remove! What's more, is a standard SATA laptop drive ;)

And I know because I have a PS3, and removed the hard drive, just to see what it was.

link is dead :P
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Kenji on 06-02-2008 at 06:48 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

http://www.rpsoftware.net/img/DSCF0234.JPG
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by blessedguy on 06-02-2008 at 06:59 PM

Not that I want to go offtopic... but you've got to face it:

quote:

That being said the PS3 controller isn't very good. The Xbox is slightly better, yet doesn't look as slick. But the Wii has the best controller without a doubt, it is so comfortable and extremely fun.

Wii is superior!

(by the way, I rly think xbox 360 is much better than PS3)
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 06-02-2008 at 09:13 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

http://www.rpsoftware.net/img/DSCF0234.JPG
..yeah, 404

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Kenji on 06-02-2008 at 09:22 PM

quote:
..yeah, 404
Was working fine when I linked to it, he renamed it.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Phillip on 06-02-2008 at 09:25 PM

:O http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/8061/dscf0234hj4.jpg

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Pipish on 06-03-2008 at 06:55 AM

I am a devoted Xbox boy

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by RaceProUK on 06-03-2008 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pipish
I am a devoted Xbox boy
Go you.

quote:
quote:
..yeah, 404
Was working fine when I linked to it, he renamed it.
My webhosting is Linux-based, so case is important. My retarded camera uses all caps for some unknown reason.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Panos on 06-07-2008 at 04:37 PM

Both are good...
However PS3 is better as it is newer and has more functions and better graphics!

RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 06-07-2008 at 05:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Panos
as it is newer
Dear God.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Quantum on 06-07-2008 at 05:55 PM

quote:
Both are good...
However PS3 is better as it is newer and has more functions and better graphics!

It's not really. It got delayed alot and it makes it look newer and "better".
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Menthix on 06-07-2008 at 06:46 PM

The age of any product isn't a measurement for how good it is in the first place.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by RaceProUK on 06-08-2008 at 11:59 AM

quote:
PS3 is better as it is newer
And that's number 7 on the list of 'Things That People Believe Are True When In Fact It's A Load Of Crap'.

The PS3 is not the best at everything it does. And before any XBox fanboys respond, the 360 has it's fair share of faults too.

As does the Wii.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 06-08-2008 at 12:24 PM

quote:
However PS3 is better as it is newer
Nah XBOX is better because it's newer than the PlayStation franchise.

quote:
Originally posted by 0ldSchoolGamer
quote:
Originally posted by PS3=MyGirlfriend
RE: Why is the xbox 360 called 'xbox 360'?

because you can turn 360 degrees and walk away from the 360.
I loled, you fail math.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 06-08-2008 at 04:59 PM

quote:
quote:
However PS3 is better as it is newer
Nah XBOX is better because it's newer than the PlayStation franchise.

quote:
quote:

I loled, you fail math.

hahaha pwnage
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by SimonHodgkiss on 06-08-2008 at 07:05 PM

Xbox 360, you can't beat Xbox Live its too good :)

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by absorbation on 06-08-2008 at 08:16 PM

quote:
As does the Wii.

No external HD means I have to keep deleting channels is its main flaw!!!!!!!
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by SimonHodgkiss on 06-08-2008 at 08:19 PM

The Wii is just good fun :)

RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 06-08-2008 at 09:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SimonHodgkiss
The Wii is just good fun :)
It is.. for a while. My mate sold his after about a month, he got bored of it. I guess the novelty just wears off.

Mind. I reckon that Star Wars game could be fun...
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by SimonHodgkiss on 06-08-2008 at 09:31 PM

I've still got mine but I'm sick of all the Bowling games that keep coming out. But it guess its like Xbox 360 with driving and shooting games.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Quantum on 06-08-2008 at 09:34 PM

I got a wii and it's alright but it depends what game you're playing really. Some games can be fantastic but on the other hand some can be rubbish. IMO of course :P

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Chris4 on 06-09-2008 at 03:32 AM

quote:
I've still got mine but I'm sick of all the Bowling games that keep coming out. But it guess its like Xbox 360 with driving and shooting games.
You can't say that Xbox 360 is only driving and shooting games. Yeah, they might be two of the most popular categories for game types (same for PS3?), but there's still loads of other types of games. I'm sure I don't need to name them for you.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by SimonHodgkiss on 06-09-2008 at 06:51 AM

quote:
quote:
You can't say that Xbox 360 is only driving and shooting games. Yeah, they might be two of the most popular categories for game types (same for PS3?), but there's still loads of other types of games. I'm sure I don't need to name them for you.

Maybe so but theres still a vast amount of Driving and Shooting games. A bigger percentage of Xbox games are Driving and Shoot tho you have to agree to that ?

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 06-09-2008 at 07:59 AM

quote:
Maybe so but theres still a vast amount of Driving and Shooting games. A bigger percentage of Xbox games are Driving and Shoot tho you have to agree to that ?
Yes, but there are more games in the other genres than the PS3 for example.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 06-09-2008 at 08:08 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

That's because people like driving and shooting games. They sell.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by RaceProUK on 06-09-2008 at 05:42 PM

quote:
quote:
As does the Wii.
No
external HD means I have to keep deleting channels is its main flaw!!!!!!!
I heard rumours there is a Wii HDD in development.
quote:
Originally posted by john-t
I got <insert console here> and it's alright but it depends what game you're playing really. Some games can be fantastic but on the other hand some can be rubbish. IMO of course :P
There, corrected it ;)
quote:
Xbox 360, you can't beat Xbox Live its too good :)
XBox Live takes the PSN and uses it to clean the bogs.

And I generally prefer the Playstation franchise.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by spongeboy on 06-09-2008 at 11:05 PM

Playstation 3. It seems to be improving its library of games. The XBOX 360 won't have many good games in the future.

RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 06-09-2008 at 11:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by spongeboy
Playstation 3. It seems to be improving its library of games. The XBOX 360 won't have many good games in the future.
Except Fable II.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 06-10-2008 at 07:23 AM

quote:
o_O

You're right, it's totally not like all of PS3's games are being delayed or cancelled.
RE: RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 06-10-2008 at 07:34 AM

quote:
quote:
Except Fable II.
And Fallout 3.
Oh, and Fracture...
... As well as these minor(!) game titles:
Gears of War 2;
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts;
Mirror's Edge;
Too Human;
and umm... I think that's it for 2008 alone.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Halo Wars.

So... What's the PS3's 'real games to look forward to' line-up?
MGS4 and LBP? Laff.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 06-10-2008 at 07:47 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
Except Fable II.
And Fallout 3.
Oh, and Fracture...
Gears of War 2;
Mirror's Edge;
Too Human;

MGS4 and LBP? Laff.
Don't forget the awesome PS3 gardening game!
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Eddie on 06-10-2008 at 08:14 AM

quote:

quote:
quote:

I loled, you fail math.

:lol:

i have to admit that if the Xbox 360 does not get a Blu-Ray player i may consider a change, the only thing that stops me is the internet play, i have heard it isn't great on the PS3 *-)
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 06-10-2008 at 08:45 AM

Blu-Ray is the one reason I was also considering a PS3, but you can pick up a PC BluRay drive for around £80, and an el-cheapo 8600GT has GPU hardware decoding... so it's a much cheaper option. :)

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 06-10-2008 at 12:06 PM

I need a HDTV before Blu-ray :P (I play my 360 on PC monitor via HDMI cable)

RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 06-10-2008 at 01:32 PM

quote:
Same here. But then again, have you tried downloading a 1080 or even 720p trailer from the Quicktime website? Those things look sweet, even compared to DVDs.

Although I am running at 1440x900, and 720p on the 360..
RE: RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 06-10-2008 at 02:17 PM

quote:
quote:
Same here. But then again, have you tried downloading a 1080 or even 720p trailer from the Quicktime website? Those things look sweet, even compared to DVDs.

Although I am running at 1440x900, and 720p on the 360..
I have tried watching some high def content on my PC (in fact I have the entire LOTR trilogy in 720p, it's amazing :o). But if I'm going to be limited to PC viewing then I have other ways of obtaining videos :p

My monitor is 1920x1080 :)
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 06-10-2008 at 03:59 PM

quote:
And Fallout 3.
Oh, and Fracture...
Gears of War 2;
Mirror's Edge;
Too Human;

Halo Wars? dunno its release date

edit
bah

* Voldemort slaps self
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 06-10-2008 at 04:14 PM

quote:

Halo Wars? dunno its release date
quote:

8-)
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Steven on 06-10-2008 at 08:35 PM

You forgot 2 big titles resistance 2, and killzone 2.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 06-10-2008 at 08:39 PM

quote:
You forgot 2 big titles resistance 2, and killzone 2.
sorry but no :P

RE: RE: RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by spongeboy on 06-11-2008 at 09:35 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
Except Fable II.
And Fallout 3.
Oh, and Fracture...
Gears of War 2;
Mirror's Edge;
Too Human;

MGS4 and LBP? Laff.

Resistance 2, Wipeout HD, Resident Evil 5, The Agency, Final Fantasy 13, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, Killzone 2, and Bioshock.

The new Banjo doesn't look great. Banjo on the N64 was much better.

Anyways, I wouldn't recommend getting any of those systems. The Wii is where the fun is at.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 06-11-2008 at 10:00 PM

The 360 already has Bioshock dude. :)

FF13 is perhaps something worth it. But from that list, it's all I would buy. :P

Edit: At the other sources quip, buy yourself a 16gb flash drive. The 360 will play most AVI formats.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 06-12-2008 at 04:40 AM

Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4 (Square-Enix), Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery (Square-Enix) announced for the 360.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by absorbation on 06-12-2008 at 04:48 PM

quote:
The new Banjo doesn't look great. Banjo on the N64 was much better.

I have to agree, the new versions look like a racing game. What is Microsoft doing to poor old Rare! :P
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 06-12-2008 at 04:54 PM

quote:
dit: At the other sources quip, buy yourself a 16gb flash drive. The 360 will play most AVI formats.
just get it on a lan?

quote:
What is Microsoft doing to poor old Rare!
say wat
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 06-12-2008 at 05:16 PM

So, how's MGS4? Today's the big day isn't it?

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by absorbation on 06-12-2008 at 05:34 PM

I think Rare's games are more suited to a younger genre and that did well on Nintendo's system because of that. They don't really fit into the Xbox or PlayStation audience. Don't get me wrong it will sell, just not as well.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 06-12-2008 at 06:07 PM

I don't think that's the problem, Rare's games have really had a drastic change. As a 10 year old I remember playing Golden Eye, Banjo Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark etc. on the N64 and I know for a fact that even as an adult I would have enjoyed the games.
Unfortunately now most of the games are going too much into the children end of the audience spectrum (such as Viva Pinata, don't get me wrong it's a good game, just a bit too childish) and I think that is the problem, they're simply not capitalising on the young adult audience any more and ironically those are the ones which grew up with and want to (or would be willing to) play Rare's games.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by SimonHodgkiss on 06-12-2008 at 10:20 PM

I still think the Xbox 360 is better than the PS3 I don't know why I've never been a Sony fan lol.

RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 06-13-2008 at 06:39 AM

quote:
quote:
dit: At the other sources quip, buy yourself a 16gb flash drive. The 360 will play most AVI formats.
just get it on a lan?
Could work - depends on the network. I seem to have problems streaming really large files. A 10GB movie certainly wouldn't work - but then my router does suck.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 06-13-2008 at 04:05 PM

quote:
Could work - depends on the network. I seem to have problems streaming really large files. A 10GB movie certainly wouldn't work - but then my router does suck.
Have you tried Winamp's orb? It works great for me.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by user27089 on 06-15-2008 at 10:00 AM

Whoever said Resident Evil 5 for the PS3 is stupid, it's coming out for the 360 too.

Ninja Gaiden 2 ;)

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 07-04-2008 at 12:59 PM

quote:
[Paying for online] ensures ongoing maintenance and high standards of the service and is hence beneficial to both the user and the company.
The only reason Sony is choosing to lose money on the PSN is because they're fighting a battle which they can't afford to lose, just don't expect your current standards to last.

I give to you Exhibit A:

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23962652-661,00.html
The PS3 update firmware update version 2.4 was recalled just hours after its release, after gamers reported that the installation crashed their consoles.

Users said the problem affected all models of the PS3 and caused glitches ranging from microphones not working to games "freezing" before they loaded.

Technology website Kotaku said affected PS3 consoles may be fixed by reformatting the hard drive - a move which would erase the owner's data, including saved games and user profiles.
Good to know it was thoroughly tested before mass distribution. Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 07-04-2008 at 05:21 PM

I've never seen that with a 360 update iirc.

RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Steven on 07-11-2008 at 04:03 PM

quote:
quote:
[Paying for online] ensures ongoing maintenance and high standards of the service and is hence beneficial to both the user and the company.

I give to you Exhibit A:

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23962652-661,00.html
The PS3 update firmware update version 2.4 was recalled just hours after its release, after gamers reported that the installation crashed their consoles.

Users said the problem affected all models of the PS3 and caused glitches ranging from microphones not working to games "freezing" before they loaded.

Technology website Kotaku said affected PS3 consoles may be fixed by reformatting the hard drive - a move which would erase the owner's data, including saved games and user profiles.
Good to know it was thoroughly tested before mass distribution. Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for.

Sony is replacing the ps3's for free, even without warranty. How long did it take for microsoft to awknowledge the problem of the red ring of death? You tell me.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by absorbation on 07-11-2008 at 04:41 PM

Although Sony made a mess of the update, Steven has a point that the Ring of Death issue is much worse. My friend has gotten though 2 elites, which are meant to be immune to the problem. I think Microsoft are just refurbishing old units and releasing them as new again :P.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Voldemort on 07-11-2008 at 05:41 PM

I've had mine for almost a year and never had a problem...

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 07-11-2008 at 05:44 PM

I've had mine for almost 2 years and never had a problem.

There's no denying that first generation consoles did have a high fail rate, but what people are failing to understand is that the fail rate of the later generations are much lower. Of course no one will ever remember that.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Menthix on 07-11-2008 at 05:49 PM

quote:
I think Microsoft are just refurbishing old units and releasing them as new again
Probably not as new, but there's nothing wrong with replacing the broken components and release them as replacements for RMA or sell them under a different status.

I worked for a company where they sell a lot of HP desktops and notebooks. HP has the Renew Program where they sell refurbished machines at a lower price. We would sell machines from the Renew Program at a low price to big national retailers. Those retailers sell the machines in their shops at a regular price without informing the customers it technically isn't a brand new machine. You get full warranty and service on the renew machines, but it's still a bit shady to not inform the buyer. Something like this might happen with other manufacturers like Microsoft too.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by absorbation on 07-11-2008 at 08:43 PM

I'm all for refurbished products, I just find it unethical selling them as new though, especially when they have known faults.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Sparky04 on 07-13-2008 at 11:33 AM

The ps3 is the better one out of the two of them, Beter graphics and games. Imo. The only bad part of it is you cant play the old ps2 or one games on the ps3 unless you have the expensive one. unlike the Xbox. I have and always will be a Sony fan.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 07-13-2008 at 12:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sparky04
Beter ... games.
Yes. All 2. Of them. Are awesome.
RE: RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Phillip on 07-13-2008 at 02:21 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

I give to you Exhibit A:

quote:

Sony is replacing the ps3's for free, even without warranty. How long did it take for microsoft to awknowledge the problem of the red ring of death? You tell me.
lol owned

quote:
quote:
Beter ... games.
Yes. All 2. Of them. Are awesome.
lol fanboy.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 07-13-2008 at 03:40 PM

quote:
The ps3 is the better one out of the two of them, Beter graphics and games. Imo. The only bad part of it is you cant play the old ps2 or one games on the ps3 unless you have the expensive one. unlike the Xbox. I have and always will be a Sony fan.
The graphics aren't better.
And you can play old games on the xbox.

EDIT: Oh my bad :grin:
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 07-13-2008 at 03:43 PM

That's what he's saying vax ...

quote:
The only bad part of it is you cant play the old ps2 or one games on the ps3 unless you have the expensive one. unlike the Xbox.

He's saying that unlike the xbox you can't play the old games on the ps3 :)
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by zach on 07-13-2008 at 03:57 PM

This is a poor discussion.

RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 07-13-2008 at 04:05 PM

quote:
That's what he's saying vax ...
quote:
The only bad part of it is you cant play the old ps2 or one games on the ps3 unless you have the expensive one. unlike the Xbox.

He's saying that unlike the xbox you can't play the old games on the ps3 :)
It would help if he used proper punctuation.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Basilis on 07-13-2008 at 04:15 PM

quote:

The graphics are better. 360's graphics in most games remind me of PS2 while on the other hand, I am impressed of the realistic graphics PS3 offers. There are games in 360 with good graphics but PS3 certainly gives companies the ability to build better graphics.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 07-13-2008 at 04:30 PM

quote:
quote:

The graphics are better. 360's graphics in most games remind me of PS2 while on the other hand, I am impressed of the realistic graphics PS3 offers. There are games in 360 with good graphics but PS3 certainly gives companies the ability to build better graphics.
You've not even played a 360 or PS3 8-)

Anyway, I'd like to see proof of this. Because I know there aren't any games where the ps3 has 'more realistic graphics' than it's 360 counterpart. Currently the only differences in graphics between the PS3 and 360 are usually minor lighting differences.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Basilis on 07-13-2008 at 04:34 PM

I have played both. I do not own one but my friends do. Well, I can't really prove this because it is my opinion and someone else might think in a different way so he thinks 360 has better graphics. Like you do. I do not have a problem with that. Having played in both consoles, I just say I think PS3 has better graphics, that is all. :)

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 07-13-2008 at 05:44 PM

This is not a matter of opinion. I'm also not saying the 360 graphics are better. I'm saying they're the same(essentially) with very little difference.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 07-13-2008 at 05:49 PM

BUT the xbox has had alot of time to develop games - and for the developers to get to know how to get the best out of the console... The ps3 on the other hand has alot of time to develop - and will essentially become better (back me up here).

But atm there is very minor differences..

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 07-13-2008 at 06:25 PM

They'd already be there if it wasn't so hard to code for/utilize. It's been out publicly for nearly 2 years already =/

And even then, that's all about cpu, not gpu. The gpu's in both consoles have much the same power afaik(Infact the 360's might be slightly better iirc).

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 07-13-2008 at 06:27 PM

The xbox does have a slightly better GPU but the ps3 outstrips the xbox's processor.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 07-13-2008 at 06:29 PM

Yes, but atm, that's like having 8GB of RAM but running vista 32bit.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Nathan on 07-13-2008 at 06:49 PM

Yeah... at the moment - but as soon as the coding devs for the games work out how to get round the ps3's (shitty) coding <insert whatever its called here> then we will be flying :D

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by absorbation on 07-13-2008 at 08:59 PM

Actually Nathan the system is only hard for developers because it is new, and developers are not familiar with it. Xbox had the advantage as it built on its old gaming engines, just like the Wii had with the Gamecube and the PS1 with the PS2. It will take time for developers to take advantage of it, just like we saw from catrige based systems to optical disk ones.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 07-14-2008 at 07:10 PM

FFXIII: "Coming to XBOX 360"
Read 'em and weep :p

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by vaccination on 07-14-2008 at 07:12 PM

Shame the new dashboard sucks

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by absorbation on 07-14-2008 at 07:14 PM

quote:

And the PlayStation 3, the conference was pretty much all about games that covered both platforms. The new Dashboard is a good idea, as well as avatars integration. I also found their hardware figures funny because they focused on sales in the US, they didn't dare speak about Japan and Europe :P.
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Menthix on 07-14-2008 at 07:16 PM

quote:
Shame the new dashboard sucks
Agreed :(.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Kenji on 07-14-2008 at 08:54 PM

quote:
Enjoy your multiple DVDs.
RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 07-15-2008 at 05:46 AM

quote:
quote:
That's what makes a Final Fantasy game though these days. 7 was one of the best, it came on 3 discs. :)
RE: RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by zach on 07-15-2008 at 06:15 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
That's what makes a Final Fantasy game though these days. 7 was one of the best, it came on 3 discs. :)
That point was that the PS3 will only have one disc. *-)
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Chrono on 07-15-2008 at 06:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zach
quote:
quote:
quote:
That point was that the PS3 will only have one disc. *-)
And that will make the game worse because... ?
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Eddie on 07-15-2008 at 06:43 AM

I loved Final Fantasy 7, although i never ever got around to completing the final disc, same with Final Fantasy 8, i always gave up or got bored 8-) I wish they released the series to the Xbox 360, along with Metal Gear Solid.

RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by zach on 07-15-2008 at 07:17 AM

@Chrono: I'm not complaining about multiple discs, I don't even like FF. Multiple discs isn't what "makes a Final Fantasy game though these day". Why would 3 discs be better than 1?

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 07-15-2008 at 08:02 AM

Since the dashboard update allows you to copy game disks to your 360 hard drive, it's possible that you won't have to swap disks at all.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by zach on 07-15-2008 at 08:10 AM

Yeah, that'll be cool. Well, if the 120GB HDD wasn't ridiculously expensive.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 07-15-2008 at 02:38 PM

Rumour has it Square-Enix has something in store for PS3: possibilties include a remake of FF7.

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Eljay on 07-15-2008 at 03:01 PM

quote:
quote:

Meh. Lost Odyssey had 4 discs and changing wasn't annoying at all. Especially as you get an achievement at the end of each one :P

Changing discs is better than buying a new console for one game. \o/
RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Volv on 07-15-2008 at 03:06 PM

zomg, someone else played Lost Odyssey :o That was an awesome game!

RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by Eljay on 07-15-2008 at 03:14 PM

quote:
zomg, someone else played Lost Odyssey :o That was an awesome game!

Yes, best traditional RPG in years. I actually doubt that FFXIII will be anywhere near as good because the main series* has gone downhill since FFX. Please prove me wrong, Square!

*I say main series because Crisis Core was actually quite good, but just a prequel.
RE: RE: PS3 or XBOX 360 ? by andrewdodd13 on 07-15-2008 at 03:49 PM

quote:
Rumour has it Square-Enix has something in store for PS3: possibilties include a remake of FF7.
I was interested in this, but it's become Vapor-ware. I first heard it rumoured over 3 years ago, around the time I started playing FF7 again on my PC.

And that was just a quip, you fanboys read far, far too much into it.