Shoutbox

Monitor USB Ports - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Monitor USB Ports (/showthread.php?tid=83123)

Monitor USB Ports by Th3rmal on 04-12-2008 at 09:55 AM

I have a Dell 19" monitor that has 4 usb ports, but the problem is that they dont work. Does anyone know how to make them work?

RE: Monitor USB Ports by Baggins on 04-12-2008 at 11:17 AM

Do you need to plug it into your computer?

RE: Monitor USB Ports by Th3rmal on 04-12-2008 at 11:50 AM

it didnt come with any cables, just one that connects to the powerpoint and one that connect to the computer (the monitor cable)

RE: Monitor USB Ports by mezzanine on 04-12-2008 at 12:19 PM

You usually need to connect the USB hub on your monitor to one of the USB ports in your computer. Check your monitor manual.

Edit. This should help:

[Image: connect.gif]

RE: Monitor USB Ports by Th3rmal on 04-12-2008 at 12:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mezzanine
You usually need to connect the USB hub on your monitor to one of the USB ports in your computer. Check your monitor manual.

Edit. This should help:

oh right ok, i'll buy a new usb cable then
RE: Monitor USB Ports by Spunky on 04-12-2008 at 05:57 PM

If it's not that make sure you install any software that comes with the monitor as it may control the USB functions as well

RE: Monitor USB Ports by ShawnZ on 04-12-2008 at 06:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
If it's not that make sure you install any software that comes with the monitor as it may control the USB functions as well

it's obviously that, because how would the usb ports work if they weren't connected to a computer?
RE: Monitor USB Ports by aNILEator on 04-12-2008 at 07:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
it's obviously that, because how would the usb ports work if they weren't connected to a computer?

Wireless USB :)
RE: Monitor USB Ports by Th3rmal on 04-13-2008 at 07:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
quote:
Originally posted by mezzanine

Edit. This should help:

oh right ok, i'll buy a new usb cable then
i just realised that it isnt a normal usb cable, if you look at the image that mezzazine provided it seems to be a different connection. Does anyone know where in australia i can buy one of those?
RE: Monitor USB Ports by ipab on 04-13-2008 at 08:23 AM

It's very typical, atleast from what it looks like. It appears to be the type that is used in most printers nowadays (Also known as the A to B usb cable).

RE: Monitor USB Ports by ddunk on 04-13-2008 at 08:25 AM

It looks like it's just a USB B Port. You'd be able to get that at almost any computer/electronics store.

RE: Monitor USB Ports by Th3rmal on 04-13-2008 at 08:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ddunk
It looks like it's just a USB B Port. You'd be able to get that at almost any computer/electronics store.
you happen to be correct, i seemed to be looking at the wrong port :P

EDIT: I found a USB Type B cable and connected it to my computer, now everything is working fine. Thanks to everyone who helped.