Shoutbox

Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Translation (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+----- Thread: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! (/showthread.php?tid=83161)

Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! by Thor on 04-14-2008 at 06:17 PM

Hello to the people of the forums.  (A)

Recently while I was bored, I thought I'd fix/update the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus!.

So I did. However, it's worth noting that there is most likely several errors, or parts that can be improved. I am by no means taking credit for the translation guidelines, neither am I saying that it's perfect. Some parts have been cut, some have been changed and some have probably been forgotten.

View the translation guidelines at its thread.

All your comments are belong to us.

For those feeling like ranting or just asking why I bothered, don't. I was bored and I wanted to update them. Comments that don't touch the area of rantin', are of course encouraged. That counts for improvements too. End of story.

RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! by Choli on 04-14-2008 at 08:02 PM

Very good work, Nitro.

I just want to say my comments of your work (not big things, don't worry, they're just details :P)

quote:
The content of language files is read by Messenger Plus! during its execution. It means that, when you update a language file, you just have to close a window and reopen it to see the changes. You don’t need to exit Messenger. To see modifications in the Plus! menus, do the same thing: close the Messenger windows and reopen them.
That isn't excatly true. Plus!, by default, reads only once the translated texts of the file, when it needs them to display a window. Next times Plus! displays that window, the texts are read from memoy, not from the file. Therefore, updates to the language file won't be seen when you close and reopen a window. To do that, you need to set a special key in the registry: setting the dword value AlwaysReloadInterfaces to 1 in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\GlobalSettings" forces Plus! to always read the translation from the file.

quote:
Before you do anything, you need to uninstall your current version of Messenger Plus! Live, reboot your computer (so that all the old files of Messenger Plus! are deleted) and install the latest version of the software from www.msgplus.net.
www.msgpluslive.net ;)

quote:
Note: the interface language can be modified later in the “General Options\Local Settings” section of the Preferences panel of Messenger Plus!.
The section is called "General > Main" in Plus 4.x

quote:
Examples of incorrect translations:
  • UnicodeRadio=Unicode encoding
  • UnicodeRadio= Unicode encoding
  • UnicodeRadio=Unicode
    encoding

Maybe I can't see well the document, but it seems to me that the first line can be a correct translation, can't it? Or it may be a typo where it should show the example of putting a space before the equal? (UnicodeRadio =blablabla)?

quote:
Different tags can be found in the text. Here is a list of those tags and their meaning:
Review this section. In Plus! Live, the only tags that appear are these:
  • %1, %2, %3, ... : these tags are like the old %s of Plus 2.x and 3.x but the number identificates them, so in the translation you can place them in diferent order as they appear in the english translation.
  • %1!d!, %2!d!, ...: the same as the revious ones, but these are for numbers (not strings). It is important not to interchange them (ie: if the tag has the "!d!" part, keep it. If it doesn't have it, don't put it). These tags are the equivalent of %i of Plus 2.x or 3.x.
  • \n, \t and & : the same as in Plus 2.x, 3.x.

quote:
The auto-update feature has two windows. The first one pops-up when an update is detected and, if the user clicks “Download” in this window, the second one is displayed when the download is complete and the update is ready to be installed. Here are the steps to trigger the auto-update window.

Start regedit to open the Windows registry.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Patchou\Messenger Plus!\.

Edit the “SoftwareBuild” value and set it to 1 (write down the current value to set it back after the test is complete).

Simply wait and hope for Messenger Plus! to check for an update.

does this still work in Plus Live (adding "Live" in the registry path)?

quote:
To edit it I recommend using Choli's tool for translating Messenger Plus!.
Thanks for the credits :P

RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! by John Anderton on 04-14-2008 at 08:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
www.msgpluslive.net ;)
*cough* msgplus.net would still let you download MP!L :P
Though he should link to msgpluslive.net, I'm just saying.. :P
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! by Choli on 04-14-2008 at 09:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
*cough* msgplus.net would still let you download MP!L
yes, i know; but the "official" web is ...live.net (even if msgplus.net is also official :P)
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! by Thor on 04-14-2008 at 09:40 PM

quote:

I just want to say my comments of your work (not big things, don't worry, they're just details (Smilie))

Input regarding the doc in itself is always appreciated. :D
quote:
    [Quote]Before you do anything, you need to uninstall your current version of Messenger Plus! Live, reboot your computer (so that all the old files of Messenger Plus! are deleted) and install the latest version of the software from www.msgplus.net.

www.msgpluslive.net (Smilie)
Fix'd.
quote:

quote:
Note: the interface language can be modified later in the “General Options\Local Settings” section of the Preferences panel of Messenger Plus!.

The section is called "General > Main" in Plus 4.x
Fixed in several places. :)

quote:

quote:

* UnicodeRadio=Unicode encoding
        * UnicodeRadio= Unicode encoding
        * UnicodeRadio=Unicode
          encoding
Maybe I can't see well the document, but it seems to me that the first line can be a correct translation, can't it? Or it may be a typo where it should show the example of putting a space before the equal? (UnicodeRadio =blablabla)?

If it was a typo, then it's fixed now.

quote:

quote:
Different tags can be found in the text. Here is a list of those tags and their meaning:

* %1, %2, %3, ... : these tags are like the old %s of Plus 2.x and 3.x but the number identificates them, so in the translation you can place them in diferent order as they appear in the english translation.
    * %1!d!, %2!d!, ...: the same as the revious ones, but these are for numbers (not strings). It is important not to interchange them (ie: if the tag has the "!d!" part, keep it. If it doesn't have it, don't put it). These tags are the equivalent of %i of Plus 2.x or 3.x.
    * \n, \t and & : the same as in Plus 2.x, 3.x.
Did a quick edit at that area. Please come with further input regarding the tags.

quote:

quote:
The auto-update feature has two windows. The first one pops-up when an update is detected and, if the user clicks “Download” in this window, the second one is displayed when the download is complete and the update is ready to be installed. Here are the steps to trigger the auto-update window.

Edit the “SoftwareBuild” value and set it to 1 (write down the current value to set it back after the test is complete).

The registry value is there, so I assume it does work. However, the old .doc said that you could check for updates through the About window, which no longer is true.

I did some quick searching, but I didn't find any ways to force it.

quote:

quote:

Thanks for the credits (Smilie)
Credits shall be given where credits is deserved. ;)

RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! by Chancer on 04-14-2008 at 11:29 PM

* Chancer checks.

RE: RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 04-15-2008 at 12:56 AM

First of all, good job in updating them. This is something I always wanted to do also (and I think I speak for many other translators too). So, excellent.

Now that you took the initiative, I hope the guidelines will once more become de defacto standard to read first before translating. (y)

A few comments, like Choli, though:

quote:
quote:
  • UnicodeRadio=Unicode encoding
  • UnicodeRadio= Unicode encoding
  • UnicodeRadio=Unicode
    encoding

I wouldn't exactly describe these as incorrect. As a matter of fact, those entries (except the last one) are correct syntax.

Of course, the spaces could be removed to save some bytes. But it might be that some are done on purpose. eg: to have a better viewing of the translation. But they aren't incorrect...

Note that in some situations you could want to have a space in front of the translated sentence. For this you need to encapsulate the entire string in quotes. eg:
keyname="  keyvalue"

quote:
quote:

• [snipped]
  • \n, \t and & : the same as in Plus 2.x, 3.x.

There can be more iirc, but not all those tags (better would be escape codes, or whatever they are properly called in eg C++ and the likes) can always be used in each sentence. Test it before implementing them in the final translation.

About \n (newline): Use it with care. Especially in dialog texts. For example: Vista renders dialog boxes way differently than XP. So a sentence which you have divide up on a new line in XP can look quite crappy when it is shown in a Vista messagebox.

The same when you use it in text in windows. People can have different DPI settings which can lead to different sizes of (text) controls. Or something in that line (can't explain it accuratly/properly enough).

quote:
quote:
Thanks for the credits :P
I second this. However a strong note should be attached saying that the tool is just a tool. It should not be used as the only utility to translate. A big post of mine once listed the different aspects of translating and where Choli's excellent tool comes into play. It is only usefull for a small part of the entire things-to-do-list.

Also, much about these things (the docs) have been said in older threads. So this could also be something you (or somebody) could check. A lot of usefull stuff has been said in the past regarding the docs. So when you have the time, check those posts out also.

---

Finally, for now, would it be an idea to make a temporary WIKI out of the docs? In that way we could participate into updating the docs more easier while maintaining control. And links and shortcuts can be integrated for better navigation and relation between subjects and topics.

I'll comment further later on when I have some time
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! by mynetx on 04-15-2008 at 07:41 AM

quote:
Here are the steps to trigger the auto-update window.
Triggering the auto-update should be as easy as that, but you don't have to wait after changing the registry setting, you can speed up this phase by sending /checkupdates to any contact (in a chat).
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! by Thor on 04-15-2008 at 07:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Finally, for now, would it be an idea to make a temporary WIKI out of the docs? In that way we could participate into updating the docs more easier while maintaining control. And links and shortcuts can be integrated for better navigation and relation between subjects and topics.

http://tgmp.wikispaces.com

I added the document. Feel free to make changes. :)
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! by Choli on 04-15-2008 at 07:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
About \n (newline): Use it with care. Especially in dialog texts. For example: Vista renders dialog boxes way differently than XP. So a sentence which you have divide up on a new line in XP can look quite crappy when it is shown in a Vista messagebox.

The same when you use it in text in windows. People can have different DPI settings which can lead to different sizes of (text) controls. Or something in that line (can't explain it accuratly/properly enough).
that's true. In fact, translators should not use "\n" unless it is used in the english translation.
RE: RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! by ahmetgns on 04-15-2008 at 08:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
quote:
quote:

The registry value is there, so I assume it does work. However, the old .doc said that you could check for updates through the About window, which no longer is true.

I did some quick searching, but I didn't find any ways to force it.
quote:
Originally posted by mynetx
Triggering the auto-update should be as easy as that, but you don't have to wait after changing the registry setting, you can speed up this phase by sending /checkupdates to any contact (in a chat).
I am afraid this won't work as I tested it myself and Patchou stated it before:
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou in this thread
The only way to force the apparition of the update window is to install an older version of Plus! Live and type /checkupdates in a chat window.
Also the Interface Tester program of Messenger Plus! Live given by Patchou in this thread may be useful for these windows like [Window.PlusNotLoaded],[Window.UpdateAvaliable] and [Window.UpdateDownload]. You can consider giving a link to this program in the guidelines.
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! by MeEtc on 04-15-2008 at 08:25 PM

Well ahmetgns, it is a wiki. its there for everyone to contribute and edit. And yes, I was there helping already myself too.

RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! by ZrednaZ on 04-18-2008 at 11:50 AM

There was a translation guideline by Patchou? What do you know. (A)

quote:

For those feeling like ranting or just asking why I bothered, don't. I was bored and I wanted to update them. Comments that don't touch the area of rantin', are of course encouraged. That counts for improvements too. End of story.
A shame that these forums are so haunted by flaming that users posting something new feel they must attach a disclaimer.

Anyway, comments to the introduction:

quote:
Originally posted by New Guidelines

You must meet the following requirements in order to qualify as a translator:
Very good English talking skills.

--> Very good English written skills. Talking skills are no big deal (unless of course he is blind and uses text-to-speech for input ;))

quote:

you must be able to shorten a text by keeping its original meaning

--> while keeping its original meaning

quote:

Don’t take this personal

--> personally

Considering that my corrections are quite unimportant I'm going to stop now ;)
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! by Thor on 04-18-2008 at 04:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ
There was a translation guideline by Patchou? What do you know. (A)

quote:

A shame that these forums are so haunted by flaming that users posting something new feel they must attach a disclaimer.

I've seen threads were people are being asked why they bothered to do things. It's really annoying, but it's not something that's in my control. As with most websites, disclaimers work pretty well. :p
quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ

Anyway, comments to the introduction:

quote:

You must meet the following requirements in order to qualify as a translator:
Very good English talking skills.

--> Very good English written skills. Talking skills are no big deal (unless of course he is blind and uses text-to-speech for input ;))

quote:

you must be able to shorten a text by keeping its original meaning

--> while keeping its original meaning

quote:

Don’t take this personal

--> personally

Considering that my corrections are quite unimportant I'm going to stop now ;)
Don't worry. There are probably some more typos. Though, I'm not responsible for them in a direct matter. The doc is a lightly edited version of the original (written by patch). Everything that wasn't wrong in concern of the new guidelines weren't edited. But I'll go fix those tiny errors.

Also, I invite you to check the temporary wiki for the .doc. Feel free to edit anything you wish.
http://tgmp.wikispaces.com
RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! by Thor on 06-16-2008 at 11:20 PM

I thought I'd just note that I've updated the guidelines at Google Docs.

You can find it @ http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dddwp5vv_15gpf2rhwt

Comments / feedback is appreciated as I haven't done anything in a while, improvements are always nice.

A sticky would be raawr. :cheesy:

RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! by Basilis on 06-18-2008 at 03:11 PM

I didn't know I had to mention that Greek is spoken in Cyprus too. Your guidelines have extra tips that are very useful. Thanks Nitro! :)

RE: Unofficial update of the translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 05-25-2009 at 05:17 PM

Hey Thor,

some updates on the guidelines:

quote:
[Structure of a language file]
Notepad can be fine too but some languages are not displayed properly in it.
Incorrect, Notepad can display all languages just fine afaik, including RTL and 'complex' languages.

quote:
[Structure of a language file]
In those cases, you must add a " before the space, as shown in the example underbelow.
    * UnicodeRadio=" Unicode encoding
You must enclose the the entire value (only a starting quote is not according to the INI rules):
UnicodeRadio=" Unicode encoding"

There should be a statement somewhere (in the section [Translation Rules] maybe) that it is not allowed to add urls or emailaddresses in the about box.
If translators want to add a link to their own website or add a contact email, it must be done in a comment line (for example at the beginning of the file).
This rule has been stated and confirmed a few times in the past by Patchou.

The whole [Translation file delivery] should be revised as it contains stuff which is wrong and some important pointers are missing.
See the Wiki for my pruposal (made 'anonymously' as I didn't had an account there yet).
One question with this section though, where was it ever stated that they must include a screenshot of the about box when they sent a new file to Patchou? I never saw such a statement. Is this something Patchou requested to be added?

I have a lot more, but smaller, corrections and pruposals. It would be handy if I can do them on the wiki pages, but the post in this forum, the Google Doc and the wiki are not syncronized, they all contain different versions.