Shoutbox

[Idea] Multiple windows with tabs - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [Idea] Multiple windows with tabs (/showthread.php?tid=83191)

[Idea] Multiple windows with tabs by Chris4 on 04-16-2008 at 02:04 AM

Ok.. So I came up with this idea...

At the moment, you can either have lots of different windows, or one window with tabs. Well I was thinking, why not two.. or three.. windows with tabs? Then you could separate your friends from your family, for example:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=902941]

I think it will help users organise their contacts so they can customise it to their liking.

Not the best time to submit an idea, as I know Patchou is busy and won't be adding anything new any time soon, but maybe for the future?

RE: [Idea] Multiple windows with tabs by RaceProUK on 04-16-2008 at 11:06 AM

Limited appeal, I think.

RE: [Idea] Multiple windows with tabs by Spunky on 04-16-2008 at 03:25 PM

I'd like it. Keep tabs to maximum of 3 or whatever... Could be quite useful

RE: [Idea] Multiple windows with tabs by Oxy on 04-16-2008 at 03:29 PM

Or maybe the ability to organise/move tabs between windows :O

RE: [Idea] Multiple windows with tabs by Chris4 on 04-16-2008 at 06:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Oxy
Or maybe the ability to organise/move tabs between windows :O
Yeah I was thinking that too, but I didn't want to go into too much detail :P
RE: [Idea] Multiple windows with tabs by Volv on 04-17-2008 at 02:46 AM

I like the idea (with organising/moving tabs between windows), at the very least we should be able to separate a tab into a window of its own (like we could on 3.63).

I don't think 'limited appeal' is a good excuse to not do this, I think it's making the feature complete rather than actually adding a new feature (all programs with tabs - or at least browsers - allow you to have multiple windows with different tabs in each).

RE: [Idea] Multiple windows with tabs by Th3rmal on 04-17-2008 at 05:31 AM

I think that being able to organise it is better than having a limit

RE: [Idea] Multiple windows with tabs by aNILEator on 04-17-2008 at 05:35 AM

organization > limits

But then this goes back to early suggestions of undocking some windows from tabs, which I'd love to see a welcome return

RE: [Idea] Multiple windows with tabs by CanadianOriginal on 04-20-2008 at 02:23 AM

Maybe I'm off on a tangent here, but if we're talking about tab (re)organization, what about the ability to change the tab order?

RE: [Idea] Multiple windows with tabs by saralk on 04-20-2008 at 09:38 AM

Why not have an option to group tabs by group.

So everyone from your family group gets their own set of tabs, and everyone from your friends group gets another set of tabs.

Personally I wouldn't use it, but it seems like quite an intuitive way of implementing this feature.

RE: [Idea] Multiple windows with tabs by blessedguy on 04-20-2008 at 11:22 AM

I'd like to have that, just like Safari's tabbing system (allows you to move each tab to another position, a new Window, or new position in another window, already opened).
Also, tabs by group is nice, I would use it...even though my Aero wouldn't work fine with them.

But are those ideas possible to be implemented?

RE: [Idea] Multiple windows with tabs by Steve Waring on 04-20-2008 at 11:47 AM

I think there would be wide appeal for this because if you are viewing a webcam, you would want to keep that visible at all times in one chat window and have all your other chats in a second tabbed window. Tabbed chats are very useful but at the moment you can't keep sight of a webcam when replying to other chats.

RE: [Idea] Multiple windows with tabs by RaceProUK on 04-21-2008 at 03:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
Limited appeal, I think.
Retract comment, I think ;)

This suggestion looks more popular than I thought. In fact, this feature would be useful specifically for the webcam thing mentioned earlier.
RE: [Idea] Multiple windows with tabs by Lembamjunior on 04-24-2008 at 04:54 PM

I like the idea (Y).

RE: [Idea] Multiple windows with tabs by Matt-in on 04-24-2008 at 07:59 PM

Great idea :) :)

RE: [Idea] Multiple windows with tabs by ahmetgns on 04-25-2008 at 02:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Waring
I think there would be wide appeal for this because if you are viewing a webcam, you would want to keep that visible at all times in one chat window and have all your other chats in a second tabbed window. Tabbed chats are very useful but at the moment you can't keep sight of a webcam when replying to other chats.
Really, it would be a cool improvement for webcam or other activities. Because I suffer when my chat window constantly gets bigger-smaller while I am browsing the tabs in it when I am viewing a webcam in one of them.