Shoutbox

Release - Speed Racer - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: Release - Speed Racer (/showthread.php?tid=83216)

Release - Speed Racer by Willz on 04-17-2008 at 08:10 AM

Another skin release for you all. This one is based on the upcoming speed racer movie.

The skin features a clean white design with Mach 5 branding around the skin. The skin features skin options similar to those that were used in Iron Man so there is plenty to play with. There are also a few new options that I have added since people have been asking for them.

The Speed Racer skin allows you to hide the email notification button and the entire word wheel (search for contact bar). Might not seem major, but at least the options are there now for those that want it.

[Image: srp.png]

DOWNLOAD

RE: Release - Speed Racer by Th3rmal on 04-17-2008 at 08:13 AM

very very nice piece of work. Willz youve done it again!

RE: Release - Speed Racer by Andylongi on 04-17-2008 at 10:09 AM

Awesome Job again I love it!

RE: Release - Speed Racer by aNILEator on 04-17-2008 at 10:54 AM

never even heard of this film :S

RE: Release - Speed Racer by Th3rmal on 04-17-2008 at 10:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
x2 but the skin looks good so its all good
RE: Release - Speed Racer by Nagamasa on 04-17-2008 at 11:56 AM

Yeah the skin looks very Iron Man-ish, its just that the borders aren't modified here.

I personally don't really like it (along with Iron Man) because the borders waste too much space (when you're on 1280x800, simple is good)

RE: Release - Speed Racer by Eddie on 04-17-2008 at 12:47 PM

quote:
ditto...i never thought i would say this to one of your skins Willz, but in all honesty i do not like it, the whole thing just does not appeal to me, don't like the shapes nor the red and white, obviously i could never make such a skin so i can't complain to much, i certainly won't use it but it is there for those that want it :)
RE: Release - Speed Racer by aNILEator on 04-17-2008 at 01:28 PM

Judging from screenshot the heading on the contact and chat windows is HUGE and yes it'd be good if it was minimized a bit, also I'm guessing that 5 is on the car, personally I think the car's M logo in an orb would be better suited there than a high contrasted Red and Yellow ball, I do like the glass-button-alike min max close though :)

RE: Release - Speed Racer by Chris4 on 04-17-2008 at 01:30 PM

Firstly, I think movie skins are being released too early. There's still 3 weeks until it's released. I think they should be released on the movie release date, or a few days before if it's a big movie. At least wait until it's being advertised ;).

Second, I wasn't a fan of the Iron Man skin because I thought it was over-themed, if that makes sense. It's just hard to read some things (the conversation window in particular) and not an enjoyment to use. I prefer simpler skins. I know a lot of hard-work has been put into it and it's great to see advanced WLM skins, but I think the borders and the fact it's over-themed spoils it, unfortunately.

But nevertheless, your still the greatest Plus! skin creator and I'm sure the people who doesn't like this, will like other skins. :)

RE: Release - Speed Racer by Oxy on 04-17-2008 at 01:32 PM

Agreed with some of the comments here, i know it fits the themes of movies, but i just don't like bloated skins.

RE: Release - Speed Racer by Willz on 04-17-2008 at 01:49 PM

Well look guys, personally the skin isn't anything I would use either :P but the idea is to try and suit the movies theme as best as possible. For the speed racer series you wouldn't exactly expect something minimalistic and simple (the same goes for iron man).

Advanced skins are more of a novelty to me than anything else. To me, these skins are aimed more at the general public than serious customizers or skinners who like their skins to blend in with their desktop better.

I wouldn't worry too much because I haven't totally given up on my own creations. In fact I have something in mind for something minimalistic and very clean, but that will come when the time is right ;)

RE: Release - Speed Racer by Chris4 on 04-17-2008 at 01:53 PM

Glad to hear that Willz :D

RE: Release - Speed Racer by blackjack on 04-17-2008 at 02:19 PM

Its a good skin, am i the only one who likes it? lol
i had the chance to test it a little bit, and i must say i like :)

Too much complains here and there about you guys, use it some minutes and your thoughts will change :P

At first it seems bloated, but its a very good skin (y)
Keep up Will ;)

RE: Release - Speed Racer by Basilis on 04-17-2008 at 02:21 PM

I like it too. Maybe because I know how hard it is to have such a great result. It is not the easiest thing to change the way Messenger looks so much.

RE: Release - Speed Racer by Justin on 04-17-2008 at 02:31 PM

Yeah I like it too. I haven't downloaded it yet but it looks great.

RE: Release - Speed Racer by blessedguy on 04-17-2008 at 06:30 PM

quote:
wow...only yesterday, at the mall, that i saw that SR was a movie..and not the series itself...
I think i'll watch it! (also download the skin, since it is as good as I want)

RE: Release - Speed Racer by Shiny Rabbit on 04-17-2008 at 07:44 PM

looks good but i will stick with WAM for now

RE: Release - Speed Racer by Patchou on 04-18-2008 at 09:03 PM

Sweet! one thing though: the tabbed chat bar looks weird with this skin. The terxt areas could be brighter too I'd say.

Other than that, I really like it, as always Mr Willz.

RE: Release - Speed Racer by FootSoulJah on 04-20-2008 at 12:00 AM

Great Skin, S--- Movie!

RE: Release - Speed Racer by Nathan on 04-20-2008 at 12:13 AM

I have to admit, the skin looks far better when it's in action, whereas the screenies don't do it justice :(

Nice work :)