Shoutbox

Forgotten preferences password - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Forgotten preferences password (/showthread.php?tid=83217)

Forgotten preferences password by KatieeLvsMacca on 04-17-2008 at 12:40 PM

Is there anyway of changing your password without actually going on the preferences, I cant remember mine and I need to change some things!!:|

RE: Forgotten preferences password by Chris4 on 04-17-2008 at 12:53 PM

Well, I didn't think you could, but I searched and found that you can indeed disable the protection without knowing the password. You have to do it through the registry. Just click the Start button, go to Run, type in regedit and press OK. This will open the registry editor. Then follow CookieRevised's instructions here (If you have Messenger Plus! Live which I presume you do, remember to follow the instructions for that and not the old version).

If you need any help, just say. :)

RE: Forgotten preferences password by KatieeLvsMacca on 04-19-2008 at 02:38 PM

Neither did i, but i guess its possible :|. I've tried that but it didn't work:S. It probably works for everyone else, but things do kind of confuse me easily, so that could be the reason why, i suppose it could of been i good idea to keep all the passwords of my computer the same :|. thanks anyway :) x

RE: RE: Forgotten preferences password by r3d DaWn on 04-21-2008 at 04:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by KatieeLvsMacca
Neither did i, but i guess its possible :|. I've tried that but it didn't work:S. It probably works for everyone else, but things do kind of confuse me easily, so that could be the reason why, i suppose it could of been i good idea to keep all the passwords of my computer the same :|. thanks anyway :) x

though you may not be able to get your problem fixed through the regedit fix they pointed, I know if you un-install, delete all references to MPL, including the registry keys if any get left behind, and re-install, that will fix it for you, a pain, but I've done it with others who had that issue. On your keeping all passwords the same, I certainly would never suggest you do that, for many security reasons. Instead try something like Roboform, the best password manager(software) out there you can use, to store all your passwords, can even use it on a usb key on the go. Good luck...
RE: RE: RE: Forgotten preferences password by KatieeLvsMacca on 04-21-2008 at 02:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by r3d DaWn
quote:
Originally posted by KatieeLvsMacca

though you may not be able to get your problem fixed through the regedit fix they pointed, I know if you un-install, delete all references to MPL, including the registry keys if any get left behind, and re-install, that will fix it for you, a pain, but I've done it with others who had that issue. On your keeping all passwords the same, I certainly would never suggest you do that, for many security reasons. Instead try something like Roboform, the best password manager(software) out there you can use, to store all your passwords, can even use it on a usb key on the go. Good luck...

so did I, it worked so far, and then the computer didn't have what it said it should of had, but it wasn't my computer so I didnt want to do anything serious, I'd probably end up deleting half of his computer, I'm a bit ditsey like that to be honest :|. oh okay, I haven't changed them, but now I know that I wont do. How do I find that "Roboform"? thanks for that, you've helped me a lot.
RE: Forgotten preferences password by r3d DaWn on 04-22-2008 at 07:20 AM

oh so his computer has stuff deleted on it and it won't work now? not good, I hope it's able to get fixed. As to Roboform, here is the link, you can download it and use it free, but it only allows you to save 10 passwords, you have to buy the full version for it to be unlimited, but it's worth it if you go with that option. Let me know if you need any other help/questions. good luck...

http://www.roboform.com/

RE: Forgotten preferences password by KatieeLvsMacca on 04-30-2008 at 08:29 PM

yeah i tried it later that day and actually deleted some important things and he can't turn it off now incase it doesn't come back on :( it wasn't my fault :P. okay thank you :), thats fine, I don't have that many passwords to be honest with you, i'd probably just save the important ones anyway :).
thanks a lot :)