Shoutbox

is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? (/showthread.php?tid=83249)

is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by deano747 on 04-18-2008 at 07:53 PM

Core 2 Duo T7100 1.8 GHz - 15.4" TFT
35.8 cm x 25.8 cm x 3.8 cm
2.8 kg
Intel Centrino Duo
Notebook
Stereo speakers, wireless LAN aerial, Bluetooth aerial
Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 / 1.8 GHz ( Dual-Core )
2 MB - L2 Cache
RAM 1 GB (installed) / 2 GB (max) - DDR II SDRAM
160 GB - Serial ATA-150
Optical Storage DVD±RW (+R double layer) - integrated
Display 15.4" TFT active matrix 1280 x 800 ( WXGA )
Intel GMA X3100
Sound card
Microsoft Windows Vista Business

RE: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by prashker on 04-18-2008 at 07:58 PM

simply put....no :p

RE: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by deano747 on 04-18-2008 at 08:00 PM

Cheerz HaHa.... at least i know now

RE: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by Nathan on 04-18-2008 at 08:21 PM

No, the graphics chipset sucks balls lol, its a shitty intergrated one.

RE: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by deano747 on 04-18-2008 at 09:28 PM

But i would be able to play most games??? but not to the full potential??

RE: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by Jesus on 04-18-2008 at 10:04 PM

If you want to play games, I suggest you buy a desktop instead.
Some laptops may run games fine, but they're expensive as hell. You can often buy a quite high end gaming pc and a cheaper laptop for office/internet/etc for the same amount of money you would spend on a gaming laptop. This way you can even play the games at higher quality.
Also, a desktop is easier to upgrade for future games you would like to play.

RE: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by andrewdodd13 on 04-18-2008 at 10:48 PM

I agree with Jesus, if you want games, get a desktop.

I will however point out that as Sam says, the main suck factor of that laptop from a gaming point of view is the Intel Graphics chipset.

Look for something with an nVidia DX10 (ie, 8 series) chipset. I have a 7300 Go, and in all honesty, it scores a 3.2 on Vista compared to the 7300 GT which scores 3.9.

-

After researching the X3100, it turns out that it's actually not that crap. It supports DirectX 10 - which means it has to meet a certain minimum spec (like Shader Model 3.0 and Hardware T&L, etc).

RE: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by deano747 on 04-18-2008 at 11:16 PM

I alredy have  the laptop, i was jus wundering if i got a game would i be avle to play it.

RE: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by Jesus on 04-18-2008 at 11:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
After researching the X3100, it turns out that it's actually not that crap. It supports DirectX 10 - which means it has to meet a certain minimum spec (like Shader Model 3.0 and Hardware T&L, etc).

for gaming it's still pretty crappy...
quote:
Originally posted by http://www.techradar.com/products/computing/components/graphics-cards/intel-gma-x3100-270612/review
In testing, the improvement this new engine offers over the older solutions isn't massive - 3DMark06, the industry benchmark for ascertaining the capabilities of graphics engines in general, returned a score of 416. While this result is twice that from the previous generation of integrated graphics, it still proves that integrated graphics aren't for next-generation titles. Top-end cards score around 8,000, with even cheaper cards managing scores around the 4,000 mark.

RE: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by Th3rmal on 04-18-2008 at 11:35 PM

no, also the hard drive is a little small and to play top end games well youd probably need more ram

RE: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by aNILEator on 04-19-2008 at 12:01 AM

quote:
it scores a 3.2 on Vista compared to the 7300 GT which scores 3.9.

Score isn't worth much tbh, I still wish they'd list it next to computers in stores though

I only have a base score of 3.7 because of ATI X1600 512MB , If I had the latest greatest my base would/could be 5.4, which even then is a 6GHz processor, its just a statistic to make people jealous or inferior and sell more hardware.

I've yet to find a game that doesn't run fine on my system
RE: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by Nathan on 04-19-2008 at 02:20 PM

quote:
Yeah, it would have DX10 though, because it has vista, and to get the potential from aero you need DX10.

To play games on a laptop at a decent framerate, you will need a dedicated (usually) graphics card.

If you have the money, and want a desktop replacement go here:

www.alienware.co.uk

-----
I want one of those so bad :(

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
quote:

Score isn't worth much tbh, I still wish they'd list it next to computers in stores though

I only have a base score of 3.7 because of ATI X1600 512MB , If I had the latest greatest my base would/could be 5.4, which even then is a 6GHz processor, its just a statistic to make people jealous or inferior and sell more hardware.

Yeah I have the ATI x1600 and it's a good card, and mines nearly 2 years old now, I have even completed crysis on it at 20-30fps :D
RE: RE: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by andrewdodd13 on 04-19-2008 at 02:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
quote:
Yeah, it would have DX10 though, because it has vista, and to get the potential from aero you need DX10.

As far as I'm aware, Aero is written using DirectX9 function calls and hence it will make no difference whatsoever if you're using a Dx10 card or not.
RE: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by joey on 04-19-2008 at 02:44 PM

quote:
quote:

crysis....?
RE: RE: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by Phillip on 04-19-2008 at 02:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by icd*
quote:
quote:

crysis....?
Would run fine on low-medium. I'm using 2 of the latest Gfx cards and I only get ~40fps on Very High DX10.
RE: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by Nathan on 04-19-2008 at 04:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by icd*
quote:
quote:

crysis....?

Did you read my reply?

quote:
Yeah I have the ATI x1600 and it's a good card, and mines nearly 2 years old now, I have even completed crysis on it at 20-30fps (Smilie)

RE: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by andrewdodd13 on 04-19-2008 at 04:48 PM

I really think you mis-quoted there Nathan...

RE: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by Phillip on 04-19-2008 at 04:49 PM

quote:
and to get the potential from aero you need DX10.
quote:
As far as I'm aware, Aero is written using DirectX9 function calls and hence it will make no difference whatsoever if you're using a Dx10 card or not.
Andrew is correct here and I have no idea what the below has to do with Aero.
quote:
Yeah I have the ATI x1600 and it's a good card, and mines nearly 2 years old now, I have even completed crysis on it at 20-30fps

RE: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by Nathan on 04-19-2008 at 05:22 PM

Oops i was meant to quote icd saying about the crysis thing :p

RE: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by Steven on 04-20-2008 at 05:36 PM

Is it an hp compaq? Because those specs look identical too mine

RE: is this pc good enough to play top-end games?? by deano747 on 04-20-2008 at 08:21 PM

No its a Belinea B.book, use it for uni work mostly. Just thinking about getting some games.