Shoutbox

[Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? (/showthread.php?tid=83310)

[Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by mynetx on 04-21-2008 at 07:48 AM

Facebook just started to roll out the new in-site chat system in some networks. According to insidefacebook.com:

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.insidefacebook.com/2008/04/18/facebook-chat-now-live-in-sf-la-and-philly/
Facebook’s long-awaited Chat service, originally launched last Sunday to a select group of users (primarily in some of Facebook’s earliest college networks), has slowly been rolling out to additional networks and users.

Within the last 48 hours, Facebook Chat has been launched for users in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Philadelphia. However, most other users still don’t have access yet. While Facebook refuses to announce stats on the service until after the rollout is complete, most users have found Chat very stable so far.

As for Facebook Chat’s impact on Facebook Platform chat applications? That remains to be seen - none have shown very strong numbers so far.

Update: As of this morning, Facebook Chat is live in New York as well.

So here we go: Do you have Facebook Chat already?
RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by Voldemort on 04-21-2008 at 08:54 PM

Not in Mexico or ITESM

RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by Veggie on 04-21-2008 at 08:59 PM

Not in London or University of Warwick :(

RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by GiantSpider on 04-21-2008 at 09:23 PM

Quite simply, no, and I'm not sure I would use it anyway.

RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by Menthix on 04-21-2008 at 09:59 PM

I'm missing the option "I really don't care for yet another chat network fragmenting online chat even further" :(.

RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by mynetx on 04-21-2008 at 10:02 PM

Well, as for the in-browser-only restriction, we'll see for that, MenthiX :P

RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by Voldemort on 04-21-2008 at 10:05 PM

*requests a msgplus script if it becomes available for everyone*

RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by mynetx on 04-21-2008 at 10:09 PM

Request heard, Voldemort. On the way: Facebook Desktop :)

RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by Voldemort on 04-21-2008 at 10:15 PM

:O

RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by Nagamasa on 04-21-2008 at 10:18 PM

People in my area (Toronto) got it last night. We just kept on spamming everyone. :P

Imo, its not nearly as good as WLM, as a conversation window doesn't up in the taskbar (the real one) and I doubt anyone keeps their facebook open forever (especially if you are using a tabbed window...)

RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by mynetx on 04-21-2008 at 11:07 PM

Nagamasa and Voldemort, if you like to, please contact me on Messenger (see below) to get further information about this non-public project. You will get the chance to test stuff and see a new Messenger Plus! script grow. Don't expect too much yet though, I only started dvelopment these days :)

RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by NiteMare on 04-22-2008 at 01:42 AM

nope and i never will, Muhahahahah! (6)

* NiteMare is anti-facebook

RE: RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by djdannyp on 04-22-2008 at 06:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
I doubt anyone keeps their facebook open forever (especially if you are using a tabbed window...)

you've obviously never experienced university, lol

loads of people i know at uni keeps their facebook open all the time....some people reply quicker on facebook than they do on their phones or msn, lol
RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by Voldemort on 04-22-2008 at 07:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
I doubt anyone keeps their facebook open forever (especially if you are using a tabbed window...)

you've obviously never experienced university, lol

loads of people i know at uni keeps their facebook open all the time....some people reply quicker on facebook than they do on their phones or msn, lol
indeed.
RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by Baggins on 04-23-2008 at 01:16 AM

imo facebook is evil.

Therefore I shallnot use it or any of it's crappy chat shitz.

RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by MeEtc on 04-23-2008 at 08:40 AM

It just showed for me now, some time in the past 8h or so

RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by mynetx on 04-23-2008 at 08:55 AM

Ah. Btw, this is a poll with changeable votings :P

RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by John Anderton on 04-23-2008 at 08:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
I'm missing the option "I really don't care for yet another chat network fragmenting online chat even further" :(.
To add to that, this being India, I didn't really care to see. Not that I ever sign into Facebook anyway :P
RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by djdannyp on 04-23-2008 at 09:27 AM

Just got Facebook Chat today, woo!

Doubt i'll use it though, lol

RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by M73A on 04-23-2008 at 12:21 PM

gotttt itttt

RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by John Anderton on 04-23-2008 at 02:22 PM

I signed into facebook today after at least 6 months because.. well someone linked me to something and my pass was pre stored so no need to type :p I turned unlazy and clicked. Found I have chat.
Yippidy doo dah?

RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by saralk on 04-23-2008 at 02:41 PM

Chat has been activated for everyone.

RE: [Poll] Do you have Facebook Chat already? by mynetx on 04-23-2008 at 08:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by http://www.insidefacebook.com/2008/04/23/facebook-chat-now-open-for-everyone/

Two and a half weeks after Facebook Chat launched in beta to some US college users, as of early this morning Chat is now available for all Facebook users. Facebook has been slowly rolling out the launch since April 6 - users in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, New York, and Boston got access in recent days.

Scaling chat infrastructure is an extremely challenging technical problem. We haven’t received any reports of downtime for the service - a big achievement by the Facebook ops team.

So far, Facebook hasn’t made any announcements on whether Facebook Chat will support Jabber interoperability - though Facebook has suggested it would add Jabber support in the future. Facebook also hasn’t announced any plans to build chat APIs, which would be a major boon to those building chat services on the Facebook Platform.