Shoutbox

Feedback on XP SP3 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Feedback on XP SP3 (/showthread.php?tid=83441)

Feedback on XP SP3 by alegator on 04-29-2008 at 02:55 AM

Has anyone installed it yet? Any improvements? Or just a collection of old security patches? Drop your feedback, thanks

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by Voldemort on 04-29-2008 at 03:55 AM

I had it on my old laptop that I no longer have and I didn't see any visible change.

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by MeEtc on 04-29-2008 at 05:34 AM

I just updated today. I don't see anything changed. All went fine except for the problems I had trying to get uxtheme.dll patched again.

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by Eddie on 04-29-2008 at 05:42 AM

All worked fine for me during and after installation, no issues apart from if you theme uxtheme.dll, you will have to wait for StyleXP or whoever you use to upgrade their software for it *-) I didn't notice any significant improvements to be honest but it must do something for the user :)

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by WDZ on 04-29-2008 at 06:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Microsoft
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system. This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers' experience with the operating system.

The goals of Windows XP SP3 are to:
- Provide a new baseline for customers still deploying Windows XP, to help them avoid the inconvenience of applying individual updates.
- Fill gaps in the updates users might have missed by declining individual updates when using Automatic Updates, and to deliver updates not made available through Windows Update.

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by matty on 04-29-2008 at 01:30 PM

I tried to install it 3 weeks ago or so and it said it failed. Then it said that Windows was partially updated and may not function correctly and forces me to reboot...

So then I installed Vista lol.

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by Oxy on 04-29-2008 at 03:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
users might have missed by declining individual updates when using Automatic Updates
But surely that means that they don't want them rather than declined by mistake.
Silly M$
RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by user35870 on 04-29-2008 at 03:34 PM

Installed it on one of my other machines, seems to be a bit faster in regards to startup and shutdown process.

Main Changes:

- Black hole router detection
- Network Access Protection
- Windows Imaging Component

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by Nathan on 04-29-2008 at 07:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris UK
Installed it on one of my other machines, seems to be a bit faster in regards to startup and shutdown process.

Main Changes:

- Black hole router detection
- Network Access Protection
- Windows Imaging Component

Hmm the faster startup and shutdown maybe, but when logging in it takes 3x as long :(

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by Th3rmal on 04-29-2008 at 09:08 PM

someone tell me when we can successfully/easily patch the uxtheme.dll again, thats when i'll install it...

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by MeEtc on 04-29-2008 at 09:16 PM

I did it just fine, but there's no installer to do it. You have to be out of XP to copy the file over. I have dual boot with Vista, so wasn't that hard.

Get the .dll here:
http://www.withinwindows.com/uxtheme-patches/

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by Th3rmal on 04-29-2008 at 09:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
I did it just fine, but there's no installer to do it.
Installer FTW!!!

i dont have dual boot thats why i need the installer :P
unless i can do it with the ubuntu live disc....
RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by MeEtc on 04-29-2008 at 09:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
Only if your XP partition is FAT32...
You're better off trying with an XP CD booted into recovery console
RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by Th3rmal on 04-29-2008 at 09:41 PM

quote:
will it still work well if the XP cd only has SP1 on it?
RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by MeEtc on 04-29-2008 at 09:43 PM

All you need is recovery console, and a bit of DOS knowledge to copy the file from whatever folder into %windir%/system23/

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by Th3rmal on 04-29-2008 at 09:46 PM

quote:
All you need is recovery console, and a bit of DOS knowledge to copy the file from whatever folder into %windir%/system23/
in that case i might wait for the installer, i dont want to be screwing up my system as i'm not perfectly confident with DOS
RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by alegator on 04-29-2008 at 10:13 PM

Thanks everyone. One concern, I always update my WinXP manually by going to Windows Update and selecting manual. As of now I don't see the SP3 patch showing in the M$ update site, it shows that I don't need any update, but my system is still SP2. I do know that you can download the standalone SP3 installer from various sites, but I want to wait for the official M$ release thru Windows Update. I read that it was going to be released today, yet nothing...*-) Did you update thru Windows Update or via the standalone package fom another site?

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by MeEtc on 04-29-2008 at 10:26 PM

I downloaded the offline installer. Microsoft won't be realeasing the full package via windows update for a month or 2 I'm pretty sure.

Direct link: (Thanks to Peri)
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/upda...c03e2300ebfde4.exe

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by lizard.boy on 04-29-2008 at 10:45 PM

I've been running it on my laptop. I've only had problems with timezones, because it dosn't include the timezone fix for 2007.
It was way more convenient than waiting for windows update, since I slipstreamed it into my XP cd before I installed XP.

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by alegator on 04-29-2008 at 10:51 PM

I just read why M$ delayed the release thru Windows Update and why it's worth waiting a bit more
http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9931343-56.html?tag=nefd.lede

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by lizard.boy on 04-30-2008 at 01:24 AM

Most of us aren't running retail software on our home computers, so this wouldn't really affect us, but it's still nice to know.

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by Chancer on 04-30-2008 at 01:51 AM

It wasn't released in Brazil yet :(
But I have a question:
I have both XP and Vista, and 99% of time I use Vista.
I always use Firefox, except when a site is not compatible (than I open it thru IEtab). So, I didn't upgrade to IE7.
Will I be forced to upgrade?

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by MeEtc on 04-30-2008 at 01:59 AM

No, SP3 only includes core OS updates. IE6 is part of the core XP OS, not IE7.

I still run IE6 as well

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by Chancer on 04-30-2008 at 02:01 AM

Great...IE7 sucks. IE6 runs smooth.

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by ShawnZ on 04-30-2008 at 02:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
Great...IE7 sucks. IE6 runs smooth.

what part of IE7 doesn't run smooth? :p
RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by artfuldodga on 04-30-2008 at 04:18 AM

It resets your TCPIP.SYS file also, replacing it with a new build perhaps? Anyone know if any patches increase the limit without screwing anything up.

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by alegator on 04-30-2008 at 05:10 AM

I use IE7 but I prefer IE6 for aone feature. In IE6 I could customize the graphics interface so that everything fitted neatly in one line (address bar+navigation buttons). With IE7 no matter how much economy I apply in the customization there's always two lines (one for address bar, another for the tabs), so it always will occupy more screen real estate.

RE: Feedback on XP SP3 by RaceProUK on 04-30-2008 at 09:02 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
Only if your XP partition is FAT32...
Linux NTFS drivers are pretty mature now, so it's safe to use Ubuntu to patch uxtheme.dll.