Shoutbox

Geography question - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Geography question (/showthread.php?tid=83483)

Geography question by LieutenantPetrelli on 05-01-2008 at 07:31 PM

Hi guys,

I need abit of help with studying for my geography test, this is pretty much an opinion question but still.

The question is...

Why do Canadian often visit Cuba?

It may sound simple but I think my teacher wants more then "because its cheap"

so hope you can help

p.s This test counts for 3/8ths of my mark

RE: Geography question by Svip on 05-01-2008 at 07:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LieutenantPetrelli
Because they can and Americans can't.  It's another one of Canada's "in your face, America!"  Like the Metric System.
RE: Geography question by vaccination on 05-01-2008 at 07:44 PM

Anyone else thinking the question might be slightly grammatically wrong..?

RE: Geography question by kotjze on 05-01-2008 at 07:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Svip
quote:
Originally posted by LieutenantPetrelli
Because they can and Americans can't.  It's another one of Canada's "in your face, America!"  Like the Metric System.

svippie, I love you. :)
RE: Geography question by Chris4 on 05-01-2008 at 07:49 PM

Interesting read here: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/getaways/012298/cbar22.html

RE: Geography question by LieutenantPetrelli on 05-01-2008 at 08:02 PM

thanks chris but i still need reasons why canadians go

RE: Geography question by prashker on 05-01-2008 at 08:14 PM

Uh....because its a close place for tourism :p?

During winter we want to go downsouth because some losers don't like the cold :p

RE: Geography question by Svip on 05-01-2008 at 08:34 PM

Just admit it, Canadians.  You love the freedoms you have that Americans don't, and you like to rub it in their faces.

RE: Geography question by prashker on 05-01-2008 at 10:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Svip
Just admit it, Canadians.  You love the freedoms you have that Americans don't, and you like to rub it in their faces.
I never said I didn't :p.
RE: Geography question by Jhrono on 05-01-2008 at 11:16 PM

Because Canadians like giving money to communist regime and Americans don't? Hmm. Not the reason, but a cool fact.

Cuba sucks and so does communism.

RE: Geography question by blessedguy on 05-02-2008 at 12:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jhrono
Cuba sucks and so does communism.
Well... communism doesn't sucks.
In fact, at least here, this subject is divided into 2 themes, the Scientific Communism and Real Communism.
Cuba's communism is the real, and yep, the real communism does suck.
Karl Marx's communism is the scientific, and it wonderful, but impossible to be true.

back to topic...

well...
I'll try to do it.

1.Cuba's hospitals are wonderful [this part is true], really nice ones. Maybe canadians go there to medical treatments[don't know about this one...]? (Wild guess.... plz don't laugh)
2.Cuba is hot, Canada is cold.
3.It is a wonderful place (except for the problem... It is one of the "Real Communism" countries...)
4.It isn't really far... so they don't waste time (...well......wild guess #2)

Doesn't your Geography book describe it?
RE: Geography question by Lou on 05-02-2008 at 12:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
Cuba's hospitals are wonderful [this part is true], really nice ones. Maybe canadians go there to medical treatments[don't know about this one...]? (Wild guess.... plz don't laugh)
Indeed, I met a man in Cuba that had to get treated, and rather get treated there than in Canada due to the wonderful treatment, and great doctors.
quote:
Cuba is hot, Canada is cold.
That makes many Canadians leave during the winter, and Cuba is such a beautiful place that it's quite worth the trip.

There are many cigar amateurs that go there, as well as those who love rum. Both are of wonderful quality in Cuba.

On top of this, Cuba culture is quite interesting, and the Cubans themselves are really nice people.
RE: Geography question by blessedguy on 05-02-2008 at 12:42 AM

(Ok... Cuba's not-emergencial-or-any-useful-treatment hospitals may be bad... but the -unuseful-surgeries-like-lipoasppiration are nice)

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou

That makes many Canadians leave during the winter, and Cuba is such a beautiful place that it's quite worth the trip.

There are many cigar amateurs that go there, as well as those who love rum. Both are of wonderful quality in Cuba.

On top of this, Cuba culture is quite interesting, and the Cubans themselves are really nice people.
Ok... problem solved!

RE: Geography question by Jhrono on 05-02-2008 at 02:10 AM

quote:

Well... communism doesn't sucks.
In fact, at least here, this subject is divided into 2 themes, the Scientific Communism and Real Communism.
Cuba's communism is the real, and yep, the real communism does suck.
Karl Marx's communism is the scientific, and it wonderful, but impossible to be true.
lol Both suck.

What, the bread baker earns as much as a lawyer? That's really fair! What an enthusiastic society to live in!

Cuba, alongside with all the other communist countries, form the World's Zoo. People go there, take the few good things there are to see, pay cheap to see some monkeys inside cages (well, invisible in real life) jump around, take some pictures and then leave, not giving a second thought about it. I wish there was a chance to turn these countries around and offer the people a good way to live (aka, not buying mobiles monopolized by the government for 75 Euros when the minimum wage is 11 Euros a month)
RE: Geography question by RaceProUK on 05-02-2008 at 09:34 AM

quote:
1.Cuba's hospitals are wonderful [this part is true], really nice ones. Maybe canadians go there to medical treatments[don't know about this one...]? (Wild guess.... plz don't laugh)
Canada has free healthcare, not unlike the UK. So Canadians won't feel the need to fly to Cuba for medical treatment. Americans may want to, because the US healthcare system sucks.
RE: Geography question by saralk on 05-02-2008 at 10:43 AM

I'd imagine it's because Cuba is a completely different society. People always go to third world countries to experience a differnet way of life, and Cuba is right on Canada's doorstep.

A lot of people in England go to Eastern European countries because they are less developed, and still have relics from the communist era, plus because they're part of the EU, it's cheap and easy to get there.

RE: Geography question by androo123 on 05-28-2008 at 08:38 PM

I visited Cuba twice on vacation.

Well, Canadians, along with contries in Europe, actually trade with each other. The Americans got into some kind of conflict, and they put their foot down, America said "I'm not trading with you!", and Cuba said "Your not allowed in my county!" (notice how there is no Coke-a-Cola, or 7up, Sprite eyc.. in Cuba. Instead they use Fanta: 7up/Sprite, and some other rip of Coke.) The funny part is, there is still an American base in Cuba.

The only way into Cuba (if your American), is to get a special permission, just like they did in the movie Sicko.

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
I'd imagine it's because Cuba is a completely different society. People always go to third world countries to experience a differnet way of life, and Cuba is right on Canada's doorstep.

A lot of people in England go to Eastern European countries because they are less developed, and still have relics from the communist era, plus because they're part of the EU, it's cheap and easy to get there.

But America, is fifty miles away from Cuba. Read my other post.

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Uh....because its a close place for tourism :p?

During winter we want to go downsouth because some losers don't like the cold :p

Ya, did you see the weather we had in Quebec this winter, over 200cm of snow!