Shoutbox

Hello again everyone ^^ - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Hello again everyone ^^ (/showthread.php?tid=83507)

Hello again everyone ^^ by Fizical on 05-03-2008 at 08:57 AM

Hey!

How are all the old skinners doing?  I see a few of you are still around and some have come a long way.  I guess some people might still remember me.  Willz, it is good to see you making things outside of Vista skins, i know that has been your love child for some time but some of your other work is looking good ^^

I am glad to see that skinning is still alive and well.  The community seems to be going quite nicely thanks to Plus! so well done to everyone who has kept it alive.

I'm sorry to those who were fans of theunknown's and my work for us leaving the scene and thus leaving you without updates to our skins.  I would certainly be interesting to get involved in skinning again but working without theunknown would be weird and working alone would be.. lonely.. haha.

I wanted to say good job to everyone who has kept skinning going ^^  it is great work by all of you and i'm glad to see the scene hasn't died out over this time i've been out of it (not because of that reason, haha, im not vain).  keep up the good work everyone!

cheers,
Fiz

EDIT:  wow, i really never did visit these forums, 4 posts including this one since 2005?!!

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by mattisdada on 05-03-2008 at 12:59 PM

Yeah, only 4 posts? I have to agree with you there, you never did visit these forums :P.

Im a newer skinner. Havent made any official ones as of yet. But im getting there! :D

So what has been you and theunknowns skins been? Im not sure if ive seen them.

And yes... i missed you!!!! Even though i didnt know of your exsistance since 3mins ago :D.

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by Fizical on 05-03-2008 at 01:29 PM

lol, theunknown and i made skins for 7 + 7.5 they were:

Shiro
Wave 11
Wave 11: Glass

which you can see here:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=49...d=563447#pid563447

Messenger : Mac
Messenger : Mac - Milk
Messenger : Mac - Eternal

There were others but i can't remember if we released them or not, haha.  I think out best skins never made it out to the public because at that time there was 8.0 beta after beta so we lost interest in updating again and again.  I'm playing in PS at the moment for a remake of one of our old skins, not sure if i'll get around to making it.  but if i do there would be many variations of it released at that time.

I should add, i didn't post here much because back then there wasn't a lot going on here in the skinning scene.. we mostly posted out released at mess.be and got them on the front page there.  now msgplus is an integral part of skinning.. things have changed.  i don't use windows so i lost touch

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by coolzee on 05-03-2008 at 03:43 PM

i know you...your a well known old skinner...yea..ive been around msn community for a while..so yea...

glad to hear from you again.

:)

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by blessedguy on 05-03-2008 at 06:03 PM

wow! 4 posts since 2005? o.O

old skinner? nice to meet you! hope you join us, it will be nice if the old skinners come again to release fabulous skins and that stuff. Also... experience brings quality!

see ya

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by Fizical on 05-04-2008 at 12:35 AM

good to see you've stuck around since the older days coolzee.  it is nice to be remembered.

I do need to level with you guys.  I'm a mac guy, i don't use windows at all, i don't even use Microsoft Messenger 7 for OS X but i would be willing to install XP on my intel mac to boot into for skinning.  I've been on macs almost exclusively since 2005, back then i was skinning on an old wintel box.  I have no idea about the development of WLM at the moment so im not sure how far off we can expect a new major version etc.  If that is not expected anytime real soon i may make at least one of the skins again.

It would be nice to get back into skinning again but im not sure about the situation with WLM.  there is a version 9 coming isn't there?  has there been any work playing on skinning the betas? is there much different in the code?

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by blessedguy on 05-04-2008 at 12:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fizical
It would be nice to get back into skinning again but im not sure about the situation with WLM.  there is a version 9 coming isn't there?  has there been any work playing on skinning the betas? is there much different in the code?
Well... WLM 9 will take a long time to be ready... and yep, there are skins that work with the betas, alsmot as good as with the 8.5 and 8.1. And, yep... the difference is huge, that's why there are many 8.5 skins, and almost none 9.0 beta skins.
RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by Fizical on 05-04-2008 at 12:54 AM

ok because when i was skinning and 8.0 beta came out.. everyone was using it.  so skinning for 7.5 was kind of a waste of time.. but 8.0 beta kept getting new releases too frequently.  we just got sick of it and real life got in the way..

i have a bit of down time at the moment.. before i return to my new home of Japan.  not sure how much time i will have once i return to Japan but i might be interested in some collaboration if anyone is interested.

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by Chris4 on 05-04-2008 at 01:07 AM

I'd like to see you join with a skinner to release some skins, would be cool :D

Stick around. :)

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by blessedguy on 05-04-2008 at 01:22 AM

Well... if you want some help... I am free to do it!
(But remeber that Brazil and Japan have a little time difference... of... let's see... 12 hours?)

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by Fizical on 05-04-2008 at 01:29 AM

cheers for the offer ^^ the time difference might make for a bit of a problem ><  but i've gotta install windows first and have a play before i decide anything.  from looking at the tutorials, not a hell of a lot has changed so hopefully not to hard to get stuck into it.

It would be nice to form a team of perhaps 3 or so people each helping the other out to make some nice polished skins.  also means if one gets bogged down with real life suddenly the other two can pick up the slack, and share the load around.

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by blessedguy on 05-04-2008 at 01:41 AM

Ok! Who more can offer to help here?

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by mattisdada on 05-04-2008 at 01:56 AM

Im intrested in helping, im not a great coder (which im not sure if you had to do for the old version, which was just simple reshacking) but im a graphics designer, ill help where i can :).

And 9.0 is a longs way a way. Its designed to be relesed in 2009. But then again, so was Windows Live Messenger 8.5. Lol. It was known as messenger 2008.

Ive been on the scene since 7.5. Not into the skinning scene though. Been visiting mess.be non stop since WLM 8.0 Beta. Fairly good community that is.

Anyway, its great to see another user at the msgplus forums! :D

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by blessedguy on 05-04-2008 at 02:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
Anyway, its great to see another user at the msgplus forums! :D
nice member, you mean... there are so many daily new members... that do nothing at all...

And, yay! Graphics Designer! I'd fit as image editor/coder/tester/user/"whatever-er"

And.... to complete...

I'm still newbie (not noobie anyway... there's a huge difference) to skinning, started it by January/2008 - December/2007, although have some experience with it. Also, I know tons of tricks and tips for GIMP, wich I use on my creations (like that new signature you see... ). "Want some help? ask me!"
RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by mattisdada on 05-04-2008 at 02:07 AM

Im working on my second skin. My first one i lost the only copy of by accident :(. Wasnt that great of a skin though, but it had a "humour" engine (i cant spell), that was really awesome, cant be bothered making it again. If you want to see it its at (http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=80280&pid=879186#pid879186). Its a screenshot. The only thing left of it *sniffle*.

And yes i did mean nice member :P.

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by blessedguy on 05-04-2008 at 02:15 AM

quote:
Im working on my second skin. My first one i lost the only copy of by accident :(. Wasnt that great of a skin though, but it had a "humour" engine (i cant spell), that was really awesome, cant be bothered making it again. If you want to see it its at (http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=80280&pid=879186#pid879186). Its a screenshot. The only thing left of it *sniffle*.

And yes i did mean nice member :P.

Oh! That one... sorry to disappoint you...but only the dashborad/minmaxclose btns were good [if you had them I'd include them on AuLM], but at least they were excellent!

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by Fizical on 05-04-2008 at 02:23 AM

hey guys ^^  what i would be hoping for is someone who can match me with coding.  bounce ideas off and code together even if it has to be diff timezones.  i'll may install windows today otherwise more than likely tomorrow and get things set up for coding.. i've gotta finish putting the graphic resources together first.  nearly finished getting everything for the contact list.. but there is much more as we all know.

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by mattisdada on 05-04-2008 at 02:23 AM

Yeah i thought it sucked to. Completly ripped off mac messenger :P. The only things i made WERE the open/close things. Lol.

Fizical, if you want messenger 9.0 just ask, i can send it to you if you would like.

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by blessedguy on 05-04-2008 at 02:33 AM

quote:
hey guys ^^  what i would be hoping for is someone who can match me with coding.  bounce ideas off and code together even if it has to be diff timezones.  i'll may install windows today otherwise more than likely tomorrow and get things set up for coding.. i've gotta finish putting the graphic resources together first.  nearly finished getting everything for the contact list.. but there is much more as we all know.
I can help with coding. Better when comes to making options inside skin info (look at AuLM, for example... bacground combines with colorizing, while bg has 70 options, and colorize has 2, the result is 140 options... just an example).

The contact list is easy! Hard are the others... and buddy icons!

Oh... timezone won't be a prob. usy hole week, free hole weekend (except for saturday mornings... have tests these days)
RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by Fizical on 05-04-2008 at 06:28 AM

mattisdada - thanks for the offer, don't think i'll skin for 9.0 if it is still a fair way away from release.

Blessedguy - i haven't looked at your work but i will have a look at it for sure.  once i've had the chance to get windows set up etc, and start playing i'll be in contact.

I have finished putting together the graphic resources for the window and contact list.  It will be a messenger:mac skin but with a twist, it will keep some of that mac appeal but come across with another style added to it.  im really liking the outcome of the graphics.  nothing too glossy and over the top.  just nice clean and stylish. 

i will be going to san francisco for a couple weeks late in this month so hopefully i can get a nice chunk done before then.  gotta remember how it is all done which will be fun.  there still is every chance this skin may not get across the line so don't go counting your chickens before they have hatched

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by RebelSean on 05-04-2008 at 06:32 AM

Wow, it is indeed nice to know you're still around! I'm not sure you remember me Fizical, we lost touch after I lost control of MessengerMad.com. It is nice to see you, and good luck for future skins!

By the way, how's theunknown doing?

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by Fizical on 05-04-2008 at 06:38 AM

yeah i remember you, no worries there ^^
the unknown and i no longer keep in contact, we were never all that chatty with each other, haha.  we just talked skinning and maybe some Apple things.  Great bloke just once we stopped skinning there wasn't a lot for us to chat about.

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by mattisdada on 05-04-2008 at 06:45 AM

Just a word of advice.... theres allready a mac skin for messenger :)

Its called apple live messenger. (http://www.msgpluslive.net/skins/view/7-Apple-Live-Messenger/)

Just want to tip you off before you start making :)

And how did you loose control over messengermad.com rebelsean?

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by Fizical on 05-04-2008 at 06:59 AM

i've seen that matt and i have to say it is missing all the polish that an apple skin should have..  also it looks completely different from what im making.

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by mattisdada on 05-04-2008 at 10:29 AM

Eh, im not a big fan of apple skins/products. Dont even get me started on iPods.... You dont even want to know what i REALLY call them. :D

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by Fizical on 05-04-2008 at 10:49 AM

well you are welcome not to like it, i personally don't care.  I know that this style should make quite a number of people happy.  having looked through the skins currently available i can say i don't like a single skin released but many people like them.  That is the beauty of this world, we are free to like different things and luckily people have choices.

but now that you have put forward you are not a big fan of apple skins/products, don't go saying you like my skin when it is released :P

EDIT: Just for the record, I will NEVER use this skin im making because i'm not a windows user,  I'm an OS X user.  I'm going to the trouble of installing windows and putting together this skin for all of you to have the chance to use.  I don't care if only a few people like it, i don't care if thousands of people like it, just as long as it is enjoyed by others i'm happy.

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by mattisdada on 05-04-2008 at 11:47 AM

Im not gonna not like something just because it has the Apple logo on it. Im just saying i dont like a large majourity of apple skins/products. But im not going to blanket hate it :P.

And im the same, i dont like any of the skins here either.... the only skins i like are the one im making right now :P.

EDIT: Buy we all appricate the effort your going to :)

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by Willz on 05-04-2008 at 12:17 PM

lol fiz! long time no see :P

Good to see you are alive again.

Boys and girls fiz and the unknown were the reason I started skinning all those years ago. Their work with the Messenger lab is what got me interested in the first place.

Man I disappear for a day and fiz comes back :P ugh what a time to pick.

Hey fiz, if you are interested in coming back maybe you should join up with me and ipab on designevolved:P I'd be glad to help resurrect the old messenger lab stuff with you and it would be good to getting a group happening again. Ipab still talks to the unknown so who knows maybe we can get the old lab team back together again :P

By the way, don't worry about windows live messenger. Ill have everyone covered in about 2 days :P Open Live, it basicly puts Windows Live Messenger back to MSN Messenger 7.5 style: Nice and easy to edit (compared to wlm that is ;)) and the main thing : No MSNRLE whatsoever

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by mattisdada on 05-04-2008 at 12:31 PM

Correct me if im wrong, but are we now going to suddenly see a bunch of new awesome skins coming in all at once(from this "lab") because of the return of fiz?

RE: RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by Willz on 05-04-2008 at 12:36 PM

quote:
Correct me if im wrong, but are we now going to suddenly see a bunch of new awesome skins coming in all at once(from this "lab") because of the return of fiz?

I considered fiz and the unknown to be the best skinners for messenger back in the day. I was always trying to keep up with their releases but never really could :P (but then again I was new back then)

If fiz comes back like it was in the old days, then yeah you guys are in for some quality stuff ;)
RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by mattisdada on 05-04-2008 at 12:44 PM

Thats awesome. I think you guys need to, try and make a skin that looks like 8.0 beta 1 (That was an awesome skin, cant belive they removed it).

Ill try and find screens of it and edit this post.[Image: MessengerLive.png]

EDIT: You know when you remember something being really awesome... then when you look at it again, its not that great? Im sort of getting that now.... but when you changed it to black instead of orange, it did look MUCH better!

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by Fizical on 05-04-2008 at 12:53 PM

Willz - I'm more than interested in that, you have my msn but you just went offline, so hit me up on there if you want.  I'll show you a mock of what i will hopefully begin coding tomorrow, slowly as i need to remember stuff.  looking at your very nicely set out tutorials however it is not too different from 8.0 so should be alright.

as i have said i can't be sure what lies ahead of me in terms of free time once i've moved back to Japan but at least for the next couple of months i have plenty of time to give to this and hopefully i can continue afterwards for some time.

Matt - if that is what it can lead to then that would be great for everyone.

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by mattisdada on 05-04-2008 at 12:58 PM

It would be great.... hey.... your australian to?

You lived in japan? Thats cool.

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by Fizical on 05-04-2008 at 01:33 PM

yeah im australian ^^ and yeah i lived in Japan, came back here for a little while and will return to Japan in july to live there.. probably for quite a long time.  great place.

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by mattisdada on 05-04-2008 at 01:38 PM

Yeah i really want to visit there. Looks great!

And why are all the awesome skinners Australian? (You and Willz :P)

RE: RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by Willz on 05-04-2008 at 02:01 PM

quote:

And why are all the awesome skinners Australian? (You and Willz :P)

I dunno because nobody else would take up such an abstract hobby? :P Anyway yeah exciting times ahead :)
RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by mattisdada on 05-04-2008 at 02:36 PM

Yes, defintly exciting times ahead:D

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by blessedguy on 05-04-2008 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Yes, defintly exciting times ahead:D
Sure!
RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by Fizical on 05-04-2008 at 03:15 PM

theunknown is also australian ^^

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by duck! on 05-04-2008 at 06:15 PM

quote:
Thats awesome. I think you guys need to, try and make a skin that looks like 8.0 beta 1 (That was an awesome skin, cant belive they removed it).

http://www.msgpluslive.net/skins/view/25-Classic-WLM/ :P
RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by RebelSean on 05-05-2008 at 01:09 AM

quote:

Its called apple live messenger. (http://www.msgpluslive.net/skins/view/7-Apple-Live-Messenger/)

Sorry to go offtopic, but I had a co-owner, Daniel Ellis. He and I were great friends, and after the first year of the website being opened, be retreated as a "silent administrator" and didn't do anything for the website. After we reached 30,000 members and nearly 75,000 posts on the forum, he returned and tried to change too much. I agreed to some, but he wanted me to give him root access to the server but at the time I and Fred were the only two with root access, and I told him no. He then changed the login details for our NameCheap account, moved the domain to a different registar, and then forwarded the website to his own.

Long story made short :p.
RE: RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by mattisdada on 05-05-2008 at 01:28 AM

quote:
theunknown is also australian ^^
Awesome ^_^

quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean
quote:

Sorry to go offtopic, but I had a co-owner, Daniel Ellis. He and I were great friends, and after the first year of the website being opened, be retreated as a "silent administrator" and didn't do anything for the website. After we reached 30,000 members and nearly 75,000 posts on the forum, he returned and tried to change too much. I agreed to some, but he wanted me to give him root access to the server but at the time I and Fred were the only two with root access, and I told him no. He then changed the login details for our NameCheap account, moved the domain to a different registar, and then forwarded the website to his own.

Long story made short :p.
Well that sucks!

quote:
Originally posted by duck!
quote:

http://www.msgpluslive.net/skins/view/25-Classic-WLM/ :P
Thank you :)
RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by Fizical on 05-07-2008 at 12:53 AM

just to let you all know things are progressing well with the skin.

RE: Hello again everyone ^^ by mattisdada on 05-07-2008 at 04:52 AM

Thats great to hear :D