Shoutbox

[Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin (/showthread.php?tid=83559)

[Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Willz on 05-06-2008 at 08:30 AM

Well its finally here, open live is officially released for all of you to use. You won't find Open Live in the skins database since it is a resource so yeah. Anyway onto a few release notes (pretty much the same as the official page:

Skinning Windows Live Messenger has never been an easy task. Most people struggle to understand what is going on when you make and skin and do not know where to start. I created open live to try and help those new skinners out and to give experienced skinners something to save them a bit of time.

Open Live is a special version of Windows Live Messenger 8.5 that has been edited to make a skinners life a lot easier. The key features of open live are as follows:

* No MSNRLE images, all images are normal png, jpg, bmp, ico and gif.
    * Easy one line edits for things such as text colors and spacing of buttons.
    * All images are named and labeled to show what they do and are also in organized folders
    * Comes with guide images and source images for animations and those tricky images
    * Comes with pre-made and pre-translated options and about windows.

and MUCH MORE!

Open Live will be sure to make the skinning process a much quicker task than what it is now.

[Image: tut_Open-Live_1.png]

TERMS OF USE

This skin is not intended for commercial use since it is based upon Microsoft's design and contains mostly their resources. Although this skin is free to edit and redistribute, the only this I ask for in return is that you leave the small credit that gives thanks to the translation team and the "based on open live" line in the about window.

Thanks for the support!

For Windows Live Messenger 8.5 ONLY. Requires Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 to use.

Skin options panel available in (future updates may add support for more languages):

English
French
Spanish
Portuguese
Italian

Open Live Download

Official Open Live support will be at http://designevolved.net, with an update to the site happening eventually which will host Open Live content and a tutorials database.

EDIT

This link will let you download the latest build of Open Live, while it is still marked as the build that is up on the page there are still differences:

Website Version: 1.1.0A
Latest Version: Open Live 1.1.0C

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Th3rmal on 05-06-2008 at 08:35 AM

Great job Willz, i think i might try out skinning now :P

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Willz on 05-06-2008 at 08:51 AM

Well I hope everyone finds it handy, my plan is to start a wiki on designevolved which will take you through skinning messenger using open live. Of course that will be a lot of work, but I think it would potentially have a lot of interest.

I'll see whether its worth it or not soon enough I guess.

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by ipab on 05-06-2008 at 09:22 AM

Now that it's in the wild, I can use it to make a skin ... figure it needs some promoting :refuck:...

You should see a skin from me soon, you know which one ;)... just need a catchy name for it though.

p.s. you seem to have too much time on your hands...

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by aNILEator on 05-06-2008 at 09:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
Now that it's in the wild, I can use it to make a skin ... figure it needs some promoting :refuck:...

You should see a skin from me soon, you know which one ;)... just need a catchy name for it though.

Ipab's vista ultimate X-treme++ lite?

That'll get in the downloads :P

Congrats On the skin completion, surprised you didn't ask me to test anything
RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by raghav on 05-06-2008 at 09:31 AM

Great , now I might try skinning as well.Cheers mate (Y).

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Willz on 05-06-2008 at 09:47 AM

yeah well i just found a bug thats not because of my code, but rather Plus! not being able to replace certain resources properly so I will have to make them their own custom resources.

For those playing at home its the checkbox images that I'm talking about, those don't replace at all (even though the code is right)

EDIT ok sent it over to menthix, will be marked as version 1.0.1. Should be up shortly.

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by mattisdada on 05-06-2008 at 11:06 AM

Thanks Willz! This will help out the community tones! :D.

Pity i cant use it... Im a die hard 9.0 user :P.

But very very good work Willz!

The skinning community wouldnt be where it is now today without you Willz! I think Patchou owes you something! :P

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Willz on 05-06-2008 at 11:12 AM

ok well menthix has uploaded 1.0.1 so go nuts now :P

I was going to try 9 comparability, but then i found that a few things were not working and then i figured the skininfo would become too complex, which is the opposite of what i want.

And then of course theres the whole thing about if a new build of 9 is released ill have to code it all again.

So yeah.... :P just went with 8.5.

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by mattisdada on 05-06-2008 at 11:18 AM

Yeah i knew you'd never do 9.0. *sigh*. Only 7 more months till 9 becomes final! Hopefully by then they have added the time stopping algoreth(i cant spell). Which would be fairly usefull in messenger. You know, stopping time so you can catch up on your WLMing :P

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by tony on 05-06-2008 at 01:39 PM

08/05/06 06:37:08| **** The trace has started ****
08/05/06 06:37:08| Skin: Open Live 1.0.0
08/05/06 06:37:08| Messenger version: 8.5.1302.1018 (en-us)
08/05/06 06:37:08| Messenger Plus! version: 4.60.324
08/05/06 06:37:08| Last definition file loaded: 947
08/05/06 06:37:08| Last style sheet file loaded: 947
08/05/06 06:37:08| Last picture file loaded: 59103
08/05/06 06:37:08| DUIParserFailure: Value creation failed '' 173
08/05/06 06:37:08| DUIParserFailure: Failed to locate stylesheet 'logonFrameSS' -1
08/05/06 06:37:08| DUIParserFailure: Value creation failed '' 173
08/05/06 06:37:08| DUIParserFailure: Failed to locate stylesheet 'logonFrameSS' -1
08/05/06 06:37:09| DUIParserFailure: Value creation failed '' 173
08/05/06 06:37:09| DUIParserFailure: Failed to locate stylesheet 'logonFrameSS' -1
08/05/06 06:37:10| DUIParserFailure: Value creation failed '' 173
08/05/06 06:37:10| DUIParserFailure: Failed to locate stylesheet 'logonFrameSS' -1
08/05/06 06:37:46| DUIParserFailure: Value creation failed '' 173
08/05/06 06:37:46| DUIParserFailure: Failed to locate stylesheet 'logonFrameSS' -1
08/05/06 06:37:46| DUIParserFailure: Failed to locate stylesheet 'logonFrameSS' -1
08/05/06 06:37:59| DUIParserFailure: Value creation failed '' 173
08/05/06 06:37:59| DUIParserFailure: Failed to locate stylesheet 'logonFrameSS' -1
08/05/06 06:38:00| **** The trace has ended ****

08/05/06 06:38:02| **** The trace has started ****
08/05/06 06:38:02| Skin: Open Live 1.0.0
08/05/06 06:38:02| Messenger version: 8.5.1302.1018 (en-us)
08/05/06 06:38:02| Messenger Plus! version: 4.60.324
08/05/06 06:38:02| Last definition file loaded: 947
08/05/06 06:38:02| Last style sheet file loaded: 947
08/05/06 06:38:02| Last picture file loaded: 59103
08/05/06 06:38:02| DUIParserFailure: Value creation failed '' 173
08/05/06 06:38:02| DUIParserFailure: Failed to locate stylesheet 'logonFrameSS' -1
08/05/06 06:38:02| DUIParserFailure: Failed to locate stylesheet 'logonFrameSS' -1
08/05/06 06:38:04| DUIParserFailure: Value creation failed '' 173
08/05/06 06:38:04| DUIParserFailure: Failed to locate stylesheet 'logonFrameSS' -1

RE: RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Willz on 05-06-2008 at 01:54 PM

That skin trace file doesn't make sense, those image numbers are from version 1.0.1 yet your version is 1.0.0 :S

Bah stupid xml must not have updated in the zip file properly.

Ok tony download this skininfo, should fix everything up.

v1.0.1 skininfo file

*Edit, skin updated so it now contains the 1.0.1 xml.

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by tony on 05-06-2008 at 02:09 PM

Works like a charm, thanks for updating it. Ill be ripping it whenever is possible ;):P

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Matti on 05-06-2008 at 04:12 PM

Woohoo, now I have all the tools to start learning skinning again. Now, I need to find an idea and, well, time... :P

Well done, Willz! (y) You're really saving the skinning community with your work!

RE: RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by ipab on 05-06-2008 at 05:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
quote:
Originally posted by ipab

Ipab's vista ultimate X-treme++ lite?

That'll get in the downloads :P

Congrats On the skin completion, surprised you didn't ask me to test anything

Don't worry, I'll still need you to test :).
RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Nagamasa on 05-06-2008 at 08:51 PM

Nice Willz! Now time for some OpenLive-ing my skins :P

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Nathan on 05-06-2008 at 09:47 PM

I would use it, but I hate relying on other peoples code :p.
So yeah, I wouldn't use it, but great to recommend to newbies :)

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by High Speed Chaser on 05-07-2008 at 10:48 AM

Thanks Willz

* High Speed Chaser downloads now

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Menthix on 05-07-2008 at 11:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Willz
Well I hope everyone finds it handy, my plan is to start a wiki on designevolved which will take you through skinning messenger using open live. Of course that will be a lot of work, but I think it would potentially have a lot of interest.

I'll see whether its worth it or not soon enough I guess.
I like that idea. Tutorials are nice, but some subjects can benefit much from a wiki, like tips and information that changes on each version.
RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Eljay on 05-07-2008 at 09:38 PM

Well I just installed it because I like the default skin and just wanted the options, but enabling "Hide voice clips button" makes WLM crash every time I try to open a chat window. 8-)

Apart from that, very nicely done Willz :P

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Willz on 05-08-2008 at 05:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
Well I just installed it because I like the default skin and just wanted the options, but enabling "Hide voice clips button" makes WLM crash every time I try to open a chat window. 8-)

Apart from that, very nicely done Willz :P

k well took a look at it and the code is right technically, its just one of those buttons wlm does not like to be removed (like email and mobile) so I'll have to change the way I hide it.

Something should be up later today.

*UPDATE Fixed removal code, should all be fine, rather than download the whole skin again, just download the updated 920 definition and place it in the directory.

Updated 920
RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by mattisdada on 05-08-2008 at 06:20 AM

Maybe a little more beta testers/bug testting before release?

RE: RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Willz on 05-08-2008 at 06:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada

Meh I'm only human.

Most of the testing went into seeing if the layout changes I did would not cause bugs (not removal options) since I did chop the hell out of the UI and as of yet there is nothing bugging up without using patching options.

But yeah I mean theres only about 3 ways to remove a button and WLM is really picky on which needs to be used :/ I assumed that the chat window buttons could be removed the easy way but obviously the voice clip button is not one of them (even though in 8.1 it was fine :/ and that was the last time I had done it so I just thought it would be the same but obviously not)

Other skinners will know how inconsistent WLM is when it comes to that sort of stuff. Take the contact search ghost text bug :P that only existed from 8.5 before that it was totally not there :P
RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by riahc4 on 05-08-2008 at 07:50 AM

Intresting skin concept. I like it.

You just need to add 9.0 compatibility. Its been a long time since a new build hasnt been released so you dont have to worry about a update.

Now watch you make this 9.0 compatibile and MS releases a new version of 9.0 :P

RE: RE: RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by mattisdada on 05-08-2008 at 08:05 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada

Meh I'm only human.

Most of the testing went into seeing if the layout changes I did would not cause bugs (not removal options) since I did chop the hell out of the UI and as of yet there is nothing bugging up without using patching options.

But yeah I mean theres only about 3 ways to remove a button and WLM is really picky on which needs to be used :/ I assumed that the chat window buttons could be removed the easy way but obviously the voice clip button is not one of them (even though in 8.1 it was fine :/ and that was the last time I had done it so I just thought it would be the same but obviously not)

Other skinners will know how inconsistent WLM is when it comes to that sort of stuff. Take the contact search ghost text bug :P that only existed from 8.5 before that it was totally not there :P

Yeah i know, but just a quick check mightive been in order. But really good work, sorry if it sounded as if i thought you didnt put alot of time, effort and testing into it.
RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Willz on 05-08-2008 at 10:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4

You just need to add 9.0 compatibility. Its been a long time since a new build hasnt been released so you dont have to worry about a update.

I don't need to do anything when it comes to 9, if a new build hasn't been released in a long time then that means that the next build that does get released will be something thats drastically different than the previous (on the inside)

Besides 9 has too many random problems when it comes to skinning it as I've said a couple hundred times already.

There is no reason to document and create like I did with 8.5 for Open Live since its going to go down the drain soon enough. So yeah I do not want to hear anything about wlm 9.

not final = not worth it (and no I'm not angry cos someone mentioned 9, just saying thats all :P)
RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by foaly on 05-08-2008 at 12:43 PM

quote:
quote:

I don't need to do anything when it comes to 9, if a new build hasn't been released in a long time then that means that the next build that does get released will be something thats drastically different than the previous (on the inside)

Besides 9 has too many random problems when it comes to skinning it as I've said a couple hundred times already.

There is no reason to document and create like I did with 8.5 for Open Live since its going to go down the drain soon enough. So yeah I do not want to hear anything about wlm 9.

not final = not worth it (and no I'm not angry cos someone mentioned 9, just saying thats all :P)

Wouldn't blame you if you where, you spend a lot of time just to help other people and then someone tells you that you didn't work hard enough. I know it would piss me off :)

nice work btw
RE: RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by mattisdada on 05-08-2008 at 01:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by foaly
quote:
quote:

Wouldn't blame you if you where, you spend a lot of time just to help other people and then someone tells you that you didn't work hard enough. I know it would piss me off :)

nice work btw

Whoa whoa whoa, calm down here people, no need to get up in arms and start a war..... yet. Not until the wars of WLM 9 and WLM 12. Where there two colosal powers will colide and rip the world apart and we have to fight a war for survival or something.... and itl star Willz as the main heroic leader of a small band of rouges trying to stop the war..... and ill be filming it, and get eaten by a pigion or something, iunno. :D.

But back to the point, when WLM9 hits gold(end of 2008 early 2009) do you belive that you will be still on the scene and will make an open source WLM skin again for it? I heard you would get more tied down by Uni, work and stuff......
RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by PaUrAzZ on 05-09-2008 at 07:32 AM

sound like :)

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Phillip on 05-10-2008 at 09:38 AM

Is there anything I must do before editing certain images..? When I edit the Toolbar Icons and Window Icons there a no changes.

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Willz on 05-10-2008 at 11:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Is there anything I must do before editing certain images..? When I edit the Toolbar Icons and Window Icons there a no changes.

No all you really need to do is just edit them and it should be fine. I'll take a look at it (probably a tag clashing somewhere, most likely one of the comments since that happened in a really early build). I'll be releasing an update to Open Live in the next few days anyway to add a few new features.

People have requested for me to add control of mouse overs in the contact list so I'll add that as part of the new stuff for 1.0.3.

EDIT:

Well I have found the source of the problem, and it is indeed something really stupid.

Anyway there are two resources which look like they can't be replaced at all without totally screwing a skin up. They aren't major resources at all so there is nothing to worry about, but because they are included in the replace statement it will randomly render a skin useless.

This is the first time I have come across this since it was non-existent in 8.1 and in my testing it did not even come up, nor does it generate a proper skintrace.

Anyway the fix for this is more than a few edits so I will have to make a mandatory update. The next build will be 1.1 it will have a few changes and edits (plus maybe a new thing or two).

Until then you can continue to use Open Live, however please be aware that it may randomly not work.

EDIT #2: 1.1.0 should be up within the next 24 hours, have sent it to Menthix. Also as a side note the 1.1.0 manual is now in a PDF format instead of word.
RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Phillip on 05-12-2008 at 08:35 AM

Any chance of just throwing up the new version here for now..? I'm eager on finishing my skin =]

Cheers <3

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Willz on 05-12-2008 at 08:39 AM

Open Live 1.1.0C

Ok here is a temporary download until Menthix gets the page updated.

EDIT: new 1.1.0 up temporarily. This minor build fixes the Spanish language being randomly not loaded. Thanks felipEx.

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Basilis on 05-16-2008 at 10:50 AM

Maybe If you could create a shaped version of Open Live. Or a guide explaining how to create shaped skins. The documentation doesn't explain this so clearly and so there are only 3 shaped skins, including you Batman one. It would be very good for skinning if it was easier to create shaped skins.

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by aNILEator on 05-16-2008 at 11:23 AM

Willz I'm still getting issues with the 9.0 port I'm making, It's just not liking it at all.

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Willz on 05-17-2008 at 12:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
Maybe If you could create a shaped version of Open Live. Or a guide explaining how to create shaped skins. The documentation doesn't explain this so clearly and so there are only 3 shaped skins, including you Batman one. It would be very good for skinning if it was easier to create shaped skins.

To be honest I don't really see any point since even if I do make a shaped version It would still require the entire shaping code to be fully rewritten anyway. Because every shaped skin is unique it would mean different shaping code would be needed.

I learnt from just following the example in skinning documentation, thats about as simple as it gets when it comes to shaping so if people don't understand it then what I write won't really clear anything up at all.

I just left the starting point in Open Live, its then up to the skinner to have the interest to try and get one working. I'm not going to do absolutely everything for you guys :P then there wouldn't be any fun in learning.

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Willz I'm still getting issues with the 9.0 port I'm making, It's just not liking it at all.

Ok nile whenever you see me on just let me know what issues you are having and I'll see if I can help, but yeah thats the reason why I did not bother with 9. Just too much random crap not working.

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by aNILEator on 05-17-2008 at 03:58 AM

quote:
thats the reason why I did not bother with 9

I'm pretty sure it's just an issue with the contact lists 100X's which we know is bugged anyway
RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Basilis on 05-17-2008 at 01:57 PM

Ok man. I tried and worked something out. The only thing I cannot understand is one. Can you add parts in the window so that you can leave a straight line between the top and the bottom and just add parts in the 4 corners?

RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Nagamasa on 06-06-2008 at 08:29 PM

Willz, I've got 2 suggestions:

1) Align all the gleams...I find it annoying when the buddies dont line up :S

2) Fix the contact list .ico thing...its all like bordered with black pixels...:S And I'm sure Willz can do something of higher quality than that .ico :P

RE: RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Willz on 06-07-2008 at 12:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa

2) Fix the contact list .ico thing...its all like bordered with black pixels...:S And I'm sure Willz can do something of higher quality than that .ico :P

1: screenshot please.

2: I used the default .ico that come with WLM so it isn't up to me to make them look good, its up to you guys. I can't do all the work for you ;)
RE: [Release]Open Live - An open source WLM skin by Nagamasa on 06-08-2008 at 01:37 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa

1: screenshot please.

2: I used the default .ico that come with WLM so it isn't up to me to make them look good, its up to you guys. I can't do all the work for you ;)
1: OpenLive: [Image: attachment.php?pid=912347] Wii Messenger: [Image: attachment.php?pid=905180]

2) lol I think it was just that one time that it loaded funny :P:S