Shoutbox

Skin & Script comments? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Skin & Script comments? (/showthread.php?tid=83569)

Skin & Script comments? by Chris4 on 05-06-2008 at 10:28 PM

I really think the skins and scripts databases are missing something, and that's user comments. A star rating out of 5 isn't enough.

I'm sure I don't need to explain why user comments are good :P

But yeah.. all good websites which have downloads usually have user comments/reviews. Example: download.com

So, what do you think? :)

RE: Skin & Script comments? by NiteMare on 05-06-2008 at 11:38 PM

well that would probualy require getting some comment moderators as they could/will get very spammy

RE: RE: Skin & Script comments? by Willz on 05-07-2008 at 12:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
well that would probualy require getting some comment moderators as they could/will get very spammy

I can see the comments quickly being filled with:

"Help this skin won't run do I need Messenger Plus! to use this?!"

"Nice but can you do it for wlm 9?"

"hey i think it would be better if you......."

"hey can u plz make me a skin? ^^"

etc

Comments would be nice, but as nitemare pointed out already it would need moderation and it would get spammy quick.
RE: Skin & Script comments? by NiteMare on 05-07-2008 at 05:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Willz
Comments would be nice, but as nitemare pointed out already it would need moderation and it would get spammy quick.
yeah don't get  my comment wrong, i'd like to hear feedback on my own scripts from the average user, but it's easily abusable, but i can volenteer as a mod if a comment system is added, we'd probually need a report comment system similar to the forums
RE: Skin & Script comments? by -dt- on 05-07-2008 at 05:50 AM

the new database is being worked on :P.....

RE: Skin & Script comments? by markee on 05-07-2008 at 06:45 AM

and this is why i will say again, people should need to have a thread on the forum before being accepted into the database |-)

RE: Skin & Script comments? by CookieRevised on 05-07-2008 at 09:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
and this is why i will say again, people should need to have a thread on the forum before being accepted into the database |-)
hear hear...and a link to that thread from the script's d/l page.

also because I can see a mod moderating negative comments if it is about his own script or whatever, for example....
RE: Skin & Script comments? by Menthix on 05-07-2008 at 11:31 AM

No point at starting to enforce that now while commenting on th d/l pages is coming up. Go dt! :D

RE: Skin & Script comments? by NiteMare on 05-07-2008 at 11:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
No point at starting to enforce that now while commenting on th d/l pages is coming up.
Cool, Any ETA?
RE: Skin & Script comments? by Menthix on 05-07-2008 at 11:42 AM

Ask dt :p

RE: Skin & Script comments? by Th3rmal on 05-07-2008 at 12:15 PM

Any ETA dt?

RE: Skin & Script comments? by NiteMare on 05-07-2008 at 01:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chat with -dt-
Scott says (10:53 AM):
any ETA on the Script/Skin DB?
(F)dt says (10:53 AM):
no :P
but things are progressing nicely
:P

RE: Skin & Script comments? by -dt- on 05-07-2008 at 02:46 PM

quote:
Ask dt :p
no ask MenthiX :P....
RE: Skin & Script comments? by CookieRevised on 05-07-2008 at 06:58 PM

quote:
No point at starting to enforce that now while commenting on th d/l pages is coming up. Go dt! :D
'enforcing' to create a thread first isn't just so people can provide a short comment about the script. It's just a small thing which can be done also (commenting). The more important thing about that is so bugs can be fixed and issues handled and there is a central place to do it and way more convenient. A thread has far more uses than a comment system (not saying a comment system is useless).
RE: Skin & Script comments? by markee on 05-08-2008 at 01:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
'enforcing' to create a thread first isn't just so people can provide a short comment about the script. It's just a small thing which can be done also (commenting). The more important thing about that is so bugs can be fixed and issues handled and there is a central place to do it and way more convenient. A thread has far more uses than a comment system (not saying a comment system is useless).
Exactly! A thread helps people to track bugs and allows the reporter to post attachments to show more details, and it doesn't seem as strange to have a large post in a thread compared to a large comment.  This kind of information will also be a lot harder to find for people if you have a lot of comments like "This is really good", "Worst script ever", etc.  Too much spam like that makes it harder to notice the serious issues.
RE: Skin & Script comments? by NiteMare on 05-08-2008 at 02:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Exactly! A thread helps people to track bugs and allows the reporter to post attachments to show more details, and it doesn't seem as strange to have a large post in a thread compared to a large comment.  This kind of information will also be a lot harder to find for people if you have a lot of comments like "This is really good", "Worst script ever", etc.  Too much spam like that makes it harder to notice the serious issues.
although on the other hand, you could get other feedback that is not such "support" related with out the hassels of signing up for a forum that you might never visit again, just to say something like: "i like this script"
RE: Skin & Script comments? by High Speed Chaser on 05-08-2008 at 04:31 AM

I think its a good idea. However it will be abused a lot.

If it is implemented, I might be able to volunteer my time to keep it clean. 

RE: Skin & Script comments? by Th3rmal on 05-08-2008 at 05:56 AM

same here, i would love to be a mod of the new comment system :)

RE: Skin & Script comments? by Willz on 05-08-2008 at 07:02 AM

I think a system like mininova would be good where if people want to just give thanks they just click the give thanks button. That way they don't have to enter a one line like "thanks for the skin/script". So at the top you would just have a the number of thanks you have gotten.

It would remove a bit of the spam and would make the longer more detailed comments stand out more.

Would be cool to also see the flags going like mininova :P then you could see where your user base is mainly (sort of)

But i guess that would require a bit more work :/

RE: Skin & Script comments? by NiteMare on 05-08-2008 at 07:18 AM

not a bad idea willz

RE: Skin & Script comments? by Chris4 on 05-09-2008 at 01:21 AM

Glad it's coming along nicely.. :D

RE: Skin & Script comments? by ahmetgns on 05-09-2008 at 02:16 PM

What I always think it would be a good idea is something like

quote:
We can remind you to rate and/or comment on this script/skin via e-mail after some time you use it. Type your e-mail address below and click submit button.

cjiwoxpds@hotmail.com

Submit
Because I personally most of the time close the page after downloading it and I don't see much point on rating/commenting on them before I use it.

Edit: See the words in bold, they have been added with this edit :)
RE: Skin & Script comments? by Basilis on 05-09-2008 at 04:41 PM

That is an absolutely amazing idea ahmetgns. (Y)