Shoutbox

[split] Microsoft rant - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: [split] Microsoft rant (/showthread.php?tid=83613)

RE: How to backup IE7 Favorites sort order? by mattisdada on 05-08-2008 at 01:30 PM

You know what i dont understand?

Why Microsoft havent made unbeliveably godly/awesome software :( They are the richest company, they can just throw cash at things to make them program better. They have the resources. Yet small companies/groups of people are having far better software design then they have :(.

A good example is, IE, its slow, full of securety holes, takes up 20mb(hdd), slow.

Opera and FireFox on the other hand have 5mb(hdd), fast, very secure.

I just dont see how Microsoft are doing this! Theres and efficeny problem lately that all there software has. Vista.... is highly unefficent, one of the biggist flaws on it. SP3 has shown to SLOW down a few scarnarios in XP..... somethings wrong with Microsoft.....

But enough of that rant.....

RE: How to backup IE7 Favorites sort order? by x2zen on 05-08-2008 at 03:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
They are the richest company
I believe that would be The Coca-Cola Company, not Microsoft.
RE: RE: How to backup IE7 Favorites sort order? by mattisdada on 05-08-2008 at 10:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by x2zen
quote:
They are the richest company
I believe that would be The Coca-Cola Company, not Microsoft.

What?! Since when!?
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by TheSteve on 05-09-2008 at 03:56 AM

According to CNN's 2008 Fortune 500 list, Walmart is #1. 

Microsoft comes in at 44 and Coca Cola comes at 83

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by markee on 05-09-2008 at 04:12 AM

Forbes says HSBC Holdings is #1 and Microsoft about #63 and Coca Cola doesn't even come into the top 100.

Bill Gates is also only the 3rd richest man now.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by x2zen on 05-09-2008 at 05:12 AM

Meh, I saw the most valuable brand list, my bad :p

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by MeEtc on 05-09-2008 at 05:33 AM

I always remembered exxon-mobil being on top, dodgy walmart has taken over :dodgy:

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-09-2008 at 06:13 AM

A damn good statment to! Because a mod split it :).

Oh well anyway, even though they are not the richEST, there still VERY rich.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by absorbation on 05-09-2008 at 09:59 AM

I got really frustrated when Vista updated itself and restarted without telling me, and I lost half the essay I wrote ...

I use my iPod touch and iTunes and instantly I know where everything is, Apple software is extremely user friendly. I think Microsoft just don't get their customers.

RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-09-2008 at 11:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
I got really frustrated when Vista updated itself and restarted without telling me, and I lost half the essay I wrote ...

I use my iPod touch and iTunes and instantly I know where everything is, Apple software is extremely user friendly. I think Microsoft just don't get their customers.

Please... theres no need for fanboyism or lying.

Vista will never just "reset itself". If you happened to press "Reset now" when a popup asking if you wanted to reset.... well, its going to reset isnt it? ;)

And if you set it to Auto Update. Then yes, it will AUTO update.....

Oh, and iPod and iTunes isnt so seamless as you try and make it......

I dont know anyone personally (Not counting people on forums) that havent had to call up Apple tech support because something went wrong with there iPod.... a friend lost there firmware.... another friends battery stopped working, anothers click wheel broke.....

So please, dont try and make out as if its some godly thing :) It breaks just as much, if not more, then other devices....

Oh, and the way iPods actually store data on an iPod is so anti-user. Storing everything in hidden folders? And then having all the hidden folders have bad names, then inside these 100's of folder, may be the song your looking for..... MAYBE.

Have you ever used any other PMP? Do you even know what a PMP is?! Archos, Zune, Gigabeat(back in the day), iRiver, and etc... all have just as easy integration. I loved Gigabeat (S) integration.... i could either A) make it auto sync, or manual sync. At any time i can drag and drop my media files onto it, and it will just be on there... no need to "sync" to my library.

And please, dont reply "Well your just a Microsoft fanboy" im not, evidently. Im sick and tired of Apple fan boys....

Oh, btw, while im at it.... Linux forever! :D (Yes i use Vista, and Linux)
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Jarrod on 05-09-2008 at 12:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Microsoft Office.
thats a good argument right there :P
office was only half done when you see it from mattisdada's development POV you actually realize that he is right and office 2007 sucks balls, the reasons for this:
-there is no simple way to convert docx files to doc so if you forget or didn't realize someone didn't have 2007 your screwed
-the new xml layout is unnecessary and only half completed (some objects won't group together properly)
-publisher doesn't have a ribbon which was a big development mistake
-from what i have read the new engine for word 2007 was only half implemented, because they rushed the end of it and used old word code to complete it in time for the release of vista, that's why only power point has decent word art

and also although not part of office directly web expressions should have had a ribbon and there is no excuse for not having one since it was released after  office 2007
that's my rant:P
ubuntu ftw

quote:

and i have to agree apple are much more in-touch with their users, just look at their ad campaigns i think they chose pretty good likenesses for the two operating systems
RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-09-2008 at 12:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Microsoft Office.
thats a good argument right there :P
office was only half done when you see it from mattisdada's development POV you actually realize that he is right and office 2007 sucks balls, the reasons for this:
-there is no simple way to convert docx files to doc so if you forget or didn't realize someone didn't have 2007 your screwed
-the new xml layout is unnecessary and only half completed (some objects won't group together properly)
-publisher doesn't have a ribbon which was a big development mistake
-from what i have read the new engine for word 2007 was only half implemented, because they rushed the end of it and used old word code to complete it in time for the release of vista, that's why only power point has decent word art

and also although not part of office directly web expressions should have had a ribbon and there is no excuse for not having one since it was released after  office 2007
that's my rant:P
ubuntu ftw

Docx and doc converstion is inbuilt and simple..... You just click save as either doc or docx :). You can open up both and save as either.....

But yeah, Ubuntu is an example of the power of numbers and open source :) You have to love open source.

quote:
quote:
ubuntu ftw
MS-DOS for the win:P

Yeah! :D Fantastic OS:D
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by CookieRevised on 05-09-2008 at 02:19 PM

quote:
That's why there are options to disable auto-starting :P

quote:
Vista will never just "reset itself". If you happened to press "Reset now" when a popup asking if you wanted to reset.... well, its going to reset isnt it? (Smilie)

indeed

-----------------------------

As for MS not listening: Yes, for some products they need to listen more. For other products they listen a bit too much (imho)....

Remember that MS is 'just' a brand name actually, and a big global company. Each and every product has his own policies, ways of doing things, own offices, etc... including its own budgets!

As for Messenger, their budget isn't that big and they actually loose money! (yes, even with the adverts).

Also, consider that they've come a very very very long way in terms of listening to their customers. They're doing a great job... Of course, things can always improve.

But for things to improve they need you, the customer, too!!! You need to give them feedback. If you don't or you always give improper feedback (spam and stuff like "it doesn't work") then of course they are not going to listen in the long end.

As for speed of producing products and updates: That too is a result of how things work at those levels. Plus! is made by 1 person and doesn't depend on 10001 things and 3rd party stuff. The same can be said for other stuff like FireFox. Although that app obviously must work with a lot more stuff, it still has a rather limited platform (=EDIT: for the lack of a better word, I don't mean OS).

The main thing from MS products is that they all are in someway related to eachother, need to work with eachother and are run on the most used platform in the world. Such stuff needs to be tested and that takes longer than a 3rd party product which expects that the platform it runs on (MS!) is stable. It sounds stupid, but think about how it comes how all their products look similar and how it comes that you instantly (mostly) reconize menu items and what they stand for (eg: why is the menu Edit called Edit and not something else (eg: change)). Such things need time... A 3rd party developer doesn't have such issues and just could call that menu whatever he wants (and some do). This is all part of the big (slugish) picture, fortunatly (everything is easly reconized by people) or not (slowness in r&d and testing).

And there are as much (dis)advantages to open source as there are to closed source. Both things can not be compared like that as they both work in completely different ways.

-------

Note: I'm not a MS-fanboy at all. There is plenty of MS-stuff which I have issues with. And I love stuff from other platforms too. But I'm also sick to see people bashing MS just because "they can" or because "everybody does it"... At least try to understand a few things first before bashing MS to kingdom hell. When you do, be my guest, I maybe may join you with some issues :p
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by aNILEator on 05-09-2008 at 02:45 PM

Actually I was pretty pissed off with Vista other night on a friends laptop. I was helping her get Adobe Stuff Installed, and it just shut itself down about 1/2 the way through installation, no updates no pop ups nothing, had to restart it all over again :angry: and that installer is helluva slow thing anyway

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
FireFox. Although that app obviously must work with a lot more stuff, it still has a rather limited platform.

It works on the 3 main operating systems, and others, so not a limited platform really. My Uni hands out firefox and other free 'good software' on disc to the people in halls when they move in, afaik everyone uses it here, and it's not exactly got a small userbase either. So what platform are you referring to exactly?
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by absorbation on 05-09-2008 at 02:58 PM

quote:
That's why there are options to disable auto-starting (Smilie)

It should be disabled by default! It's happened to me and probably others, someone could of lost something really valuable due to this feature. I just find it's the little things that count and Vista is a really poor operating system for the amount of development time on it if I am honest (I don't care about 'under-the-hood' features, I want to see things I have paid for).
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by vaccination on 05-09-2008 at 03:21 PM

quote:
quote:

It should be disabled by default! It's happened to me and probably others, someone could of lost something really valuable due to this feature. I just find it's the little things that count and Vista is a really poor operating system for the amount of development time on it if I am honest (I don't care about 'under-the-hood' features, I want to see things I have paid for).
Pfft, well you should go through and set all your settings, explore the system etc, when you install a new OS you've not used before anyway8-)
RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-09-2008 at 03:42 PM

quote:
quote:

Unless your a hacker/cracker (like me... shhhhh) automatic updating is very convienent and wont loose you a thing.....

Like i said, you pressing the Reset Now, button is what lost your work.

Hate it when people do that.... something pops up, and they think its a game, what butting will f' up there computer more!
"Do you wish to wipe your computer?" "Certainly!"
"This program is asking to few your cammara and send its data to pedophile.pedo.com. Do you wish to continue" "Sure, why not, im naked, so they wont see anything special"... grrrrr

quote:
quote:
That's why there are options to disable auto-starting :P

quote:
Vista will never just "reset itself". If you happened to press "Reset now" when a popup asking if you wanted to reset.... well, its going to reset isnt it? (Smilie)

indeed

-----------------------------

As for MS not listening: Yes, for some products they need to listen more. For other products they listen a bit too much (imho)....

Remember that MS is 'just' a brand name actually, and a big global company. Each and every product has his own policies, ways of doing things, own offices, etc... including its own budgets!

As for Messenger, their budget isn't that big and they actually loose money! (yes, even with the adverts).

Also, consider that they've come a very very very long way in terms of listening to their customers. They're doing a great job... Of course, things can always improve.

But for things to improve they need you, the customer, too!!! You need to give them feedback. If you don't or you always give improper feedback (spam and stuff like "it doesn't work") then of course they are not going to listen in the long end.

As for speed of producing products and updates: That too is a result of how things work at those levels. Plus! is made by 1 person and doesn't depend on 10001 things and 3rd party stuff. The same can be said for other stuff like FireFox. Although that app obviously must work with a lot more stuff, it still has a rather limited platform.

The main thing from MS products is that they all are in someway related to eachother, need to work with eachother and are run on the most used platform in the world. Such stuff needs to be tested and that takes longer than a 3rd party product which expects that the platform it runs on (MS!) is stable. It sounds stupid, but think about how it comes how all their products look similar and how it comes that you instantly (mostly) reconize menu items and what they stand for (eg: why is the menu Edit called Edit and not something else (eg: change)). Such things need time... A 3rd party developer doesn't have such issues and just could call that menu whatever he wants (and some do). This is all part of the big (slugish) picture, fortunatly (everything is easly reconized by people) or not (slowness in r&d and testing).

And there are as much (dis)advantages to open source as there are to closed source. Both things can not be compared like that as they both work in completely different ways.

-------

Note: I'm not a MS-fanboy at all. Their is plenty of MS-stuff which I have issues with. And I love stuff from other platforms too. But I'm also sick to see people bashing MS just because "they can" or because "everybody does it"... At least try to understand a few things first before bashing MS to kingdom hell. When you do, be my guest, I maybe may join you with some issues :p

Hmm, you brought up a couple of really good points there cookie.

Yes it is true, Microsoft is split up into many such "mini-organisations", but, MS still need to get there act together.... Windows 7, needs to be a brand new platform. I dont care if we will have combatability problems! I just want a new stable platform. We will deal with it...... (On that note, alot of Apple fanboys have been hounding Vista for its incombatabilitys..... does anyone remember when Macs became Intel? There was 0 combatability :P)

I like open source as a concept, in practice.... it doesnt work so good. It generally doesnt get tested as much, and developers generally arnt that commited to it as much as someone getting employed and paid to do it..... so it does weaken projects.

And what products do you belive that they have listened "to much" on? Is it office? Beaucase i belive they listened to much on Office, but i acctually like Office 07. I like the ribbion, it just takes a day or two to get used to where everything is. But its far more powerfull as well as quicker in generall...... My powerpoint presentations have never had so much OMPH, then they do with 07.... Lots of fancy effects :P.

Im not saying that Microsoft is bad or anything... im just saying, they could do a bit better.... Windows is good for a singular reason, its 3rd party support. Most other OS's you just cant find the range of software you can for Windows, you can do practicly anything on Windows, but your limited far more on other OS's. If it lost that.... well..... theres better choices now a days :).

And another project that doesnt get mentionend enough is Sun Micro's Solaris...... I personally dont like it, but its great as a local server..... So everything has its use :)
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Svip on 05-09-2008 at 08:19 PM

I hear they have horrible source managements.  I mean, how could it take so many developers so long to make Windows Vista?  When it took less than a tenth of those developers to make something similar (if not better) over at Apple long before it appeared on Vista?

Bad source management.  Interesting tale from an insider.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by CookieRevised on 05-09-2008 at 11:19 PM

quote:
Windows 7, needs to be a brand new platform. I dont care if we will have combatability problems! I just want a new stable platform. We will deal with it......
Well, most people do want compatibility (including 3rd party companies), and there lays the biggest 'problem'. MS lives on compatibility and it was, is, and will be the road they follow. That is one of the things what makes MS being used by most people compared to other platforms....

quote:
Windows is good for a singular reason, its 3rd party support. Most other OS's you just cant find the range of software you can for Windows, you can do practicly anything on Windows, but your limited far more on other OS's.
And that is exactly the reason why developping stuff (especially an OS) is so difficult. Many people (bashers) don't even have the slightest clue about how much work and how much problems there can be when making something like Windows which needs to run on the biggest variaty of hardware and needs to support most of the hardware and software which exists in the world without breaking anything....

And because it is so huge and complicated, and because more people use it than anything else, there are of course more bugs found, more stuff which does break, more virusses (because you can infect more people because more people use it), etc.... This hasn't got much todo with MS being MS. It has todo with the wide userbase and massive software.

To give an extreme example of how simple it is: If I would wrote my own OS, of course there aren't going to be any holes in it, and of course I wouldn't have any virusses and its compatibility would be great (since I alone decides and knows what I use or not), and bug fixes or updates would be instant, all because I would be the only one using it....

for Svip: compare that to Apple, Apple doesn't have such wide variaty of software, and their PCs are all the same too with not too much different hardware (well, it used to be).

quote:
So everything has its use
aye

Oh, and an inside MVP thingie (well, actually not a secret since you can read it in public too, but still :p): At MS they know damn well that Vista isn't what it was supposed to be... To quote Steve Ballmer when he was very enthiousiastically summing up some stuff MS accomplished in the last year, in his keynotes speech at the MVP summit: "Then there's Vista, a work ermmm (small but ackward pause)... in progress... (at this point 1500 MVPs laughed and applauded)..." And this is so with a lot of stuff, they aren't ignorant (although it often seems so, true)

EDIT: Oh, PS, aNILEator, I didn't meant 'platform' as in 'OS', I meant something different. But I can't find the right word or right stuff to explain it properly...

10 minutes
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Jarrod on 05-09-2008 at 11:21 PM

quote:
Docx and doc converstion is inbuilt and simple..... You just click save as either doc or docx . You can open up both and save as either.....
that's my point it needs to be done on office 2007 and i have to remember to do it useless, and the xml implemtaion was still useless
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by surfichris on 05-10-2008 at 12:16 AM

quote:
does anyone remember when Macs became Intel? There was 0 combatability
I do.

There was compatibility. Rosetta, a platform for converting PPC based code in to Intel based code. Sure, it was slow but most applications were compatible in one way or another.

Apple made it really easy from a developers point of view too, to target both platforms at the same time with something called a Universal Binary - an application containing both PPC and Intel compiled code so it can run on either system. For most developers, fixing compatibility for their applications meant a simple recompile in X-Code (the Apple Developer tools) with a bit of changed code.

I wouldn't use that (the PPC -> Intel switch) as an example, but more when Apple went from the Apple II to the Macintosh - that's where they screwed most people over as there _was_ no backwards compatibility - but sometimes that's just a move you have to make to push the platform forward to do new things.

Microsoft however (when you're talking about Windows 7) can't do this, obviously because of the market share they need to sustain (and would lose out on a lot of people upgrading/moving to it) so backwards compatibility is always going to be there - they can't scrap the fundamentals of how their operating system works.

Was Windows Vista a failure? No. Is Microsoft doomed? No.

quote:
A good example is, IE, its slow, full of securety holes, takes up 20mb(hdd), slow.

There's no way that Firefox is 5mb, it's also not (for the most part - Firefox 2 anyway) as fast as Internet Explorer. Why? Because portions of Internet Explorer are loaded within Windows and are used throughout the entire operating system so they're always in memory.

It's not full of security holes compared to Firefox either. If Firefox had the market share, there'd be no doubt that the number of security vulnerabilities reported in it too would be quite larger too. Actually, I'm sure one of the recent articles on the internets about this actually covers this and proves that Firefox is also quite vulnerable.

quote:

I dont know anyone personally (Not counting people on forums) that havent had to call up Apple tech support because something went wrong with there iPod.... a friend lost there firmware.... another friends battery stopped working, anothers click wheel broke.....
Compared to the very small amount of people that you know with an iPod to the entire user base, most people have no problem with the iPod. Why? Because it makes having an MP3 player look like it's ridiculously easy and every one can do it.

Random comment: Office 07 is awesome, I agree. Same applies for Office for Mac 2008 - it's equally awesome.

Disclaimer: These days I use a Mac 90% of the time I'm in front of a computer, I use Windows when testing a lot of my work, most PCs at home are Windows based, I do not think Microsoft is evil, I think Apple is awesome, I have several iPods and I use Firefox/Safari.
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by aNILEator on 05-10-2008 at 12:51 AM

One thing that ticks me off with office 2008 on mac is I CAN'T FUCKING IMPORT MULTIPLE IMAGES :@

But otherwise word 2008 notebooks in office 2008 are awesome, ESPECIALLY for recording lectures with built in mic and taking notes, every time you take a note it sets an audio bookmark on that line clicking the audio bookmark plays the audio from that point onwards :D

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Th3rmal on 05-10-2008 at 01:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
One thing that ticks me off with office 2008 on mac is I CAN'T FUCKING IMPORT MULTIPLE IMAGES :@

But otherwise word 2008 notebooks in office 2008 are awesome, ESPECIALLY for recording lectures with built in mic and taking notes, every time you take a note it sets an audio bookmark on that line clicking the audio bookmark plays the audio from that point onwards :D
Theres an Office 2008 :S? I thought only 2007 was out...
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Chrono on 05-10-2008 at 01:09 AM

quote:
quote:
Docx and doc converstion is inbuilt and simple..... You just click save as either doc or docx . You can open up both and save as either.....
that's my point it needs to be done on office 2007 and i have to remember to do it useless, and the xml implemtaion was still useless
i can open docx in my copy of office 2003, i got a patch or something the first time i tried to open one :P. So i dunno what are you all talking about :zippy:
RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant by aNILEator on 05-10-2008 at 02:22 AM

quote:
quote:

the keywords are 'mac' and GOOGLE!!!!!
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Jarrod on 05-10-2008 at 02:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
quote:
quote:
i can open docx in my copy of office 2003, i got a patch or something the first time i tried to open one :P. So i dunno what are you all talking about :zippy:
i'm talking about, school, uni, work the places where you can't just update the os cos your not admin:P

quote:
quote:
quote:

i love the way mac always gets the better version of office, it cracks me up:rofl:
in 2008 did they fix the layout engine in word?

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
These days I use a Mac 90% of the time I'm in front of a computer, I use Windows when testing a lot of my work, most PCs at home are Windows based, I do not think Microsoft is evil, I think Apple is awesome, I have several iPods and I use Firefox/Safari.
that's the way to think(Y)
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Th3rmal on 05-10-2008 at 02:32 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

ah i see, my mistake
RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-10-2008 at 02:50 AM

quote:
quote:
does anyone remember when Macs became Intel? There was 0 combatability
I do.

There was compatibility. Rosetta, a platform for converting PPC based code in to Intel based code. Sure, it was slow but most applications were compatible in one way or another.

Apple made it really easy from a developers point of view too, to target both platforms at the same time with something called a Universal Binary - an application containing both PPC and Intel compiled code so it can run on either system. For most developers, fixing compatibility for their applications meant a simple recompile in X-Code (the Apple Developer tools) with a bit of changed code.

I wouldn't use that (the PPC -> Intel switch) as an example, but more when Apple went from the Apple II to the Macintosh - that's where they screwed most people over as there _was_ no backwards compatibility - but sometimes that's just a move you have to make to push the platform forward to do new things.

Microsoft however (when you're talking about Windows 7) can't do this, obviously because of the market share they need to sustain (and would lose out on a lot of people upgrading/moving to it) so backwards compatibility is always going to be there - they can't scrap the fundamentals of how their operating system works.

Was Windows Vista a failure? No. Is Microsoft doomed? No.

quote:

There's no way that Firefox is 5mb, it's also not (for the most part - Firefox 2 anyway) as fast as Internet Explorer. Why? Because portions of Internet Explorer are loaded within Windows and are used throughout the entire operating system so they're always in memory.

It's not full of security holes compared to Firefox either. If Firefox had the market share, there'd be no doubt that the number of security vulnerabilities reported in it too would be quite larger too. Actually, I'm sure one of the recent articles on the internets about this actually covers this and proves that Firefox is also quite vulnerable.

quote:

Compared to the very small amount of people that you know with an iPod to the entire user base, most people have no problem with the iPod. Why? Because it makes having an MP3 player look like it's ridiculously easy and every one can do it.

Random comment: Office 07 is awesome, I agree. Same applies for Office for Mac 2008 - it's equally awesome.

Disclaimer: These days I use a Mac 90% of the time I'm in front of a computer, I use Windows when testing a lot of my work, most PCs at home are Windows based, I do not think Microsoft is evil, I think Apple is awesome, I have several iPods and I use Firefox/Safari.

Like he said, 08 is equal to 07, it just took longer to develop :). You seem to think that the later model number in a year based modeling system means better?

Umm, I put beside how much it takes up as (hdd), as i didnt mean memory for the download.

But more users use FF then IE. Opera (In my personal opinion the best browser of the lot) is used less then all 4 (IE, FF, Opera, Safari..... we need to find a two letter accronym for opera and safari while where at it)

And what i was pointing out was most programs didnt need converstion for Vista, and they just needed a few new code changes and recompile as well (i dont know exact spicfics). Apple programs DID need converstion......

And i wasnt around in the Apple 2 to Macintosh days so i wouldnt know :). Well i was around, but i was like 4 or something....

And yes Windows 7 cant do this, i know this.... but.... they have to!!!

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by aNILEator on 05-10-2008 at 03:04 AM

Mac OS 9 -> OS X was pretty bad knock back on compatibility for people. If I remember correctly

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-10-2008 at 03:32 AM

Yeah, well anyway. All OS's do it, you will always loose at least a LITTLE bit on each next majour iteration.

Even on Linux, Unix, Windows, Mac, BSD, Solaris and any other OS you can think of.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-10-2008 at 02:16 PM

Office 08 isn't better than Office 07 wtf it's missing HEAPS of features 07 has. (there was a list somewhere on google). And your computer CAN actually restart itself after installing updates without your consent in both Vista AND XP. It does it after a set period of time after installing an update and you don't restart. I wish someone had told me that before I was up late installing and downloading stuff and went to bed leaving the download going. As for people who go around knocking the ribbon in office 07, they clearly haven't tried it out too well. It's so awesome! Takes a second or two to get used to, but sweet none the less. There are so many options there just standing in front of me sure I could go through and click them all but it's more fun seeing what you find by accident. The other day my friend and I found out we could insert EQUATIONS!! How crazy is that?!?

I agree some of Microsoft's products could be a lot better. In general I'm quite satisfied with their range of software solutions, just the operating systems that need a bit more attention before release. Such as Vista. Everyone said Vista needed one more beta (making that beta 3) before it went into release candidature. That never happened of course and so when Vista was announced it was completely premature. But Microsoft were rushed for time. They had deadlines and everything. Sure I understand it's a business you've gotta have deadlines but it's these deadlines that can and DO limit how good a product is. Just compare this with Ubuntu. How often is each new version released? Oh, every six months or so. This ranging amount of time allows the job to be done properly, without the various time constraints held by larger companies. Sure I'm sure that within the development teams of projects such as Ubuntu they have their own internal schedules, but this doesn't have the wide spread media attention and pressure that a larger business such as Microsoft does.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by aNILEator on 05-10-2008 at 03:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
The other day my friend and I found out we could insert EQUATIONS!! How crazy is that?!?

Wow someones never used excel since ever :P
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-10-2008 at 03:06 PM

I'm talking about Word though, and not inserting into a spreadsheet :P

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-10-2008 at 03:56 PM

You always could add in equations, it just wasnt as visable :P

I acctually wish Vista had more of a thing that Mac and most linux distros have...

They have minor-majour releses every so many months or 1.5 years and shorter time spans. Microsoft only have the BIG new iteration. I would prefer it if it slowly went up.

They sort of do that with SP's.... but they dont work out so good always... SP1 for Vista has been a disaster..... It was supposed to increase file transfer speed 50% up in regular use. And 35% in networks and stuff like that. Most benchmarks show that it takes LONGER to transfer then it used to.... and sometimes, it takes 20secs just to work out how to start transfering the file.... like a small file of 120kb and stuff..... Its werid.....

And alot of Indicidual products that Microsoft have produced have been quite good, but the OS, there main selling item, isnt so great. If it wasnt for the 3rd party support they would be sooooo dead.

I love WLM, I cant stand most other messengers, my 2nd favourit will have to be Kopete (For linux KDE), but nothing else compares to WLM.... it feels so nice and pleasent.....

IE, is an abonamation, i dont care how you look at it... it is. And the fact that they STILL arent fully (IE8 i think is going to, IE7 is better, but still bad) abiding by W3C's web code rules.

As any web developer knows, IE is damn annoying, you have to make extra bits in all your code so it looks at least half right in IE.....

Cant remember who said this, but they said that IE is the most used browser.... acctually FF is..... belive it or not. Google it.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-10-2008 at 04:02 PM

Vista SP1 is definitely faster for me. And most of the benchmarks I've seen have shown a slightly moderate at least improvement over Vista RTM. As for network transfer I'd still shoot myself before I send 30gb over my network again using Vista. I don't care if it's SP1 now, I shall not wait that some 18 hours again, ever!

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Voldemort on 05-10-2008 at 04:04 PM

quote:
Cant remember who said this, but they said that IE is the most used browser.... acctually FF is..... belive it or not. Google it.
right.
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-10-2008 at 04:35 PM

Yeah i know its not belivable. But on many many servers the most users on them are FF, followed by IE, followed by either Safari or Opera.

If only more people try Opera! If only.....

And ouch..... 18 hours..... what is your routers speed?! 10mb/s?!

Even a 100mb/s one wouldnt take THAT long! Takes me 10mins on 100mb/s router for 5gb.....so roughly 2mins per gb, thats only an hour.....

I do want to buy a gigabit router though.... :D Would be good. But i dont transfer files much over the network so it wont benifit me much....

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by markee on 05-11-2008 at 01:36 AM

quote:
But on many many servers the most users on them are FF, followed by IE, followed by either Safari or Opera.
Only just. 97k to 90k, FF to IE since the beginning of the month.

I read a statistic that a couple of years ago, about the time of firefox releasing v2 that 1 in 5 Australians used it.

As for Opera, FF is just much easier and used more commonly (like at work I have it for example :P).

I personally belive that Microsoft do a good job, it could be better, but the beauracracy that you have to face in big companies is appaulling.  This is probably the main reason behind the programs being slow to roll-out and quite large, everyone wants their say down the food chain....

And also, when Vista was released, one of the people (I think it was Steve) said that they don't plan for an OS release to take so long ever again, they'll be looking at one every 2 to 3 years.
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by surfichris on 05-11-2008 at 01:54 AM

quote:
Office 08 isn't better than Office 07 wtf it's missing HEAPS of features 07 has.
It's missing VBA stuff for Excel as well as some MS-Exchange based features. Both things I don't have a need for.

quote:
Just compare this with Ubuntu. How often is each new version released? Oh, every six months or so. This ranging amount of time allows the job to be done properly, without the various time constraints held by larger companies. Sure I'm sure that within the development teams of projects such as Ubuntu they have their own internal schedules, but this doesn't have the wide spread media attention and pressure that a larger business such as Microsoft does.
It's very unfair to compare Microsoft Windows to Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution consisting of other packages developed and maintained by other companies - they aren't writing an entire operating system, but instead are essentially encapsulating other applications/packages in one nice neat shell - it's a lot easy and it's why they can have a turn around time for new releases of months instead of years without any major problems at all.

Granted a lot of work is happening over the Ubuntu side, but it is nothing near as much work as being done in Microsoft Windows, or Mac OS X (it being built on top of a unix based OS, but majorly redeveloped along the way in terms of the GUI and everything too)

quote:
IE, is an abonamation, i dont care how you look at it... it is. And the fact that they STILL arent fully (IE8 i think is going to, IE7 is better, but still bad) abiding by W3C's web code rules.
Microsoft can't just go "hey.. let's go all W3C compliant" - if they could, they would do it at the drop of a hat. It's not a viable solution for them because it would essentially break a lot of the Internet for those using that version of IE.

The majority of web based corporate/enterprise applications are designed to work within Internet Explorer - because it's the browser you will find in enterprise businesses.

quote:
As any web developer knows, IE is damn annoying, you have to make extra bits in all your code so it looks at least half right in IE.....
Not really, if you know what you're doing you don't need to "make extra bits in all your code".

quote:
Cool. What were they smoking? There is NO way that Firefox has a higher market/usage share than Internet Explorer overall. Not even remotely close.

I can come along and tell you that the most popular browser to http://www.mybboard.net/ is Firefox (52%) compared to IE at 35%. These results are extremely bias. The kinds of people you'll get visiting that site are technically orientated, are web developers/designers and things like that - they aren't the end user.

Anyone who tells you that Firefox is more popular is basing it off bias statistics from one or more targeted sites - not the general market.
RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-11-2008 at 02:02 AM

quote:
It's missing VBA stuff for Excel as well as some MS-Exchange based features. Both things I don't have a need for.
It had a few more things such as not being able to save (or read?) docx files? I forget, but it was a few more things than that. (I
don't think it had ribbon either)

quote:
It's very unfair to compare Microsoft Windows to Ubuntu.
Of course it is. I'm more trying to outline the pressure given to larger businesses though, more than the qualities and quantities produced by the various groups.
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by surfichris on 05-11-2008 at 02:23 AM

quote:
It had a few more things such as not being able to save (or read?) docx files? I forget, but it was a few more things than that. (I
don't think it had ribbon either)
It can read/write the XML format files (docx, xlsx etc) and it has the Mac version of the ribbon component.

The reason why the ribbon isn't the same as the PC one is that kind of UI wouldn't work well on a Mac - so they've come up with their own "ribbon"..

[Image: word-1.jpg]
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-11-2008 at 02:23 AM

Well, i know this for one. All new PC's bought from Betta Elictrical and Harvey Norman and the like (HP, Asus, Sony and etc(prebuilt computers)). All ship with FF :).

But i have to disagree that FF is easier then Opera, they have exactly the same learning curve.....

Well, they did go "Hey, lets go all W3C complaint" with IE8 aparantly.

And I dont care what you say, for a full website (Web 2.0 features) you will always run into the "doesnt work with IE" problem. As it doesnt handle it the same as all the other browsers......

PS: Mac ribbion is ugggggly :)

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by aNILEator on 05-11-2008 at 03:39 AM

chris boultan, you know how I can import more than one image at a time into word? It seems so obvious I try to use it almost all the time, how could such a simple feature be forgotten :S

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by markee on 05-11-2008 at 03:48 AM

quote:
chris boultan, you know how I can import more than one image at a time into word? It seems so obvious I try to use it almost all the time, how could such a simple feature be forgotten :S
Hold ctrl when you select them =\

Unless you are talking about on a mac, then I'm not sure, but this definitely works for me with Word 2007 SP1 on XP SP3
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-11-2008 at 03:55 AM

Yeah.... if thats not what your talking about Niles then i dont know what you are!

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by aNILEator on 05-11-2008 at 01:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
quote:
Hold ctrl when you select them =\

Unless you are talking about on a mac, then I'm not sure, but this definitely works for me with Word 2007 SP1 on XP SP3
quote:
Yeah.... if thats not what your talking about Niles then i dont know what you are!

Exactly, I can do that on windows, ctrl or shift and click fine, on mac it just won't work. even drag dropping (which is a real effort in itself on a mac :@) doesn't do it. Only importing the first picture you clicked on

RE: RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant by andrewdodd13 on 05-11-2008 at 02:23 PM

quote:
But more users use FF then IE. Opera (In my personal opinion the best browser of the lot) is used less then all 4 (IE, FF, Opera, Safari..... we need to find a two letter accronym for opera and safari while where at it)

You do realize Mozilla don't want people calling Firefox FF? If anything, they'd like you to call it Fx.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by CookieRevised on 05-11-2008 at 04:58 PM

quote:
And your computer CAN actually restart itself after installing updates without your consent in both Vista AND XP. It does it after a set period of time after installing an update and you don't restart.
It will never restart on itself unless you have choosen the options to automatically install/update everything.

If you choose custom install/update and ticked the right options it will never restart by itself (just showing you the notification that you need to restart).

Bottom line: choose the correct option.

quote:
As for people who go around knocking the ribbon in office 07, they clearly haven't tried it out too well. It's so awesome!
I have tried out the ribbon quite well. In fact, at work I was forced to use it all the time. And I absolutely hated it. And I was not alone. Now they have downgraded again because of all the complaints (and after a very long "we'll just leave it as it is for now, so people can get used to it" periode).

quote:
There are so many options there just standing in front of me sure I could go through and click them all but it's more fun seeing what you find by accident. The other day my friend and I found out we could insert EQUATIONS!! How crazy is that?!?
Exactly the only reason why the ribbon was introduced: because people didn't know what they could do or what the options were in Office.

For people who do know what they can do and know exactly what they need (=also the people who usually turn off the stupid 'personal menus' or 'leave out less used stuff' options as soon as Office is installed), the ribbon is 'useless'...

But those are the opinions of a few people, not the entire (mostly newb) market, of course...

------------------------------------------

For the rest, funny how MS is once again bashed into the ground with very biased and sometimes even wrong arguments... If only some people knew some more background and insiders info or how stuff really works in the big bussiness world... Some things will never change.... lol :p
RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-11-2008 at 09:25 PM

quote:
It will never restart on itself unless you
My computer prompts for download and install. No-one touched it when I went to sleep when I went to bed and I did read somewhere it does automatically restart if it's a highly critical update.

EDIT: Because the computer was idle for so long, that was a factor in automatically restarting due to the HIGH CRITICALNESS of the update 8-) I also downloaded them from the Microsoft Download Centre not from Windows Update.
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by CookieRevised on 05-11-2008 at 11:32 PM

doesn't matter from where you download though (for updates and fixes). But it wont auto-restart if you choose custom install, even on extremely critical updates, certainly not after a long period of idling.... What update was it?

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-12-2008 at 06:09 AM

I have no idea - something post SP2 and pre SP3. Well I've set my computer up to download through the night before and this was the only time I installed updates and left it through the night so this was the only time this has happened. Unless you can suggest some other strange phenomenon for why the computer would restart, and why people would write articles on it automatically restarting such as this, (to be fair though that article doesn't explicelty state which method of Automatic Updates they use (however I strongly suspect they have it set to automatically download and install)), either you're wrong, or my computer stuffed up and restarted itself. Hmm if only I hadn't reformatted since then I could've looked at the event log. Perhaps the article I read in the first place was actually referring to automatic download/install updates...bah oh well.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by andrewdodd13 on 05-12-2008 at 07:40 AM

Our lecturer was giving a presentation the other day, and some updated installed and it asked him to reboot: It came up with a progress bar and said "5 minutes to reboot - Yes to Reboot now, No to wait". This appeared every 10 minutes or so.

I myself have never seen this dialog, but then I do have Auto-Updates set to download only...

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Th3rmal on 05-12-2008 at 07:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
Our lecturer was giving a presentation the other day, and some updated installed and it asked him to reboot: It came up with a progress bar and said "5 minutes to reboot - Yes to Reboot now, No to wait". This appeared every 10 minutes or so.

I myself have never seen this dialog, but then I do have Auto-Updates set to download only...
That dialog comes up every time my computer installs some important updates
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-12-2008 at 11:35 AM

Really? XP?

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by foaly on 05-12-2008 at 11:46 AM

yes really...
this is how to stop it:
http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/1315/
it's a known bug as far as I know that it happens sometimes even on custom install...

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-12-2008 at 11:53 AM

Odd, ive never had it, back in the ye old days of XP:P

Vista gives you a prompt asking if you want to restart then asks when it should ask again at certain intervals to choose.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-12-2008 at 11:54 AM

Back in the days of XP :O XP shall live on forever! Or at least until something better than Vista comes out *fingers crossed for Windows 7*

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Quantum on 05-12-2008 at 03:36 PM

quote:
Back in the days of XP :O XP shall live on forever! Or at least until something better than Vista comes out *fingers crossed for Windows 7*

True.

quote:
quote:

That dialog comes up every time my computer installs some important updates

That can get very, very annoying.
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Voldemort on 05-12-2008 at 03:52 PM

vista has never done that to me...

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Quantum on 05-12-2008 at 03:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort

Do you have a cracked version of windows?
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Voldemort on 05-12-2008 at 03:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
quote:

no, you incredibly annoying and overtanned newb, fully legal Vista Ultimate.
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by vaccination on 05-12-2008 at 04:27 PM

quote:

That can get very, very annoying.
Vista has the option to remind you every 4 hours, that's hardly that annoying
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Lou on 05-12-2008 at 04:30 PM

quote:
quote:

Why the hell would that have anything to do with it? :undecided:.
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by CookieRevised on 05-12-2008 at 05:55 PM

Like people have said before, don't select automatic updates and installation if you don't want your PC do boot up automatically, easy as that. The PC will not boot up automatically then (if it was required for a certain update), but only shows you a reminder (which can also be configured in gpedit.msc, which is the proper way of configuring the stuff, including what foaly said).

Automatic means by default... 'automatic', so yeah, everything will be automatic, including booting up. If it didn't booted up by itself it wouldn't be 'automatic' anymore, and booting up is part of the installation of some updates because certain things need to be installed or updated after a fresh start, so....

Don't blame Windows (in this case), blame yourself for choosing the wrong setting....

PS: Also some people forget that if Windows encounters a serious bug, it will also reboot by default (can be set in My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Reboot and reset settings (or whatever it is called)). I don't have the link anymore, but there are also many similar stories where people left their PC idling and blame Windows Update for auto-rebooting eventhough they have selected Custom Install. In the end the fact was that their Windows installation was corrupted and encountered some errors from time to time and thus rebooted instead of simply showing an error message.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Voldemort on 05-12-2008 at 06:14 PM

I'd say this is an important update, SP1 along with security fixes:
[Image: lpvnr4hr-Capture.PNG]

silly overtanned newbs.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-13-2008 at 12:24 AM

Uhhhh. No.

:)

It does not  matter if you have a cracked Vista or a non cracked Vista, or a Cracked XP or Non cracked XP.

A cracked version (unless you suck :P) Will be able to update fully like normall. Thats what a crack is supposed to DO! Trick the system into thinking that your copy of windows is legit.

I know this, as my Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 is fully 100% cracked.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Voldemort on 05-13-2008 at 02:15 AM

quote:
Uhhhh. No.

:)

It does not  matter if you have a cracked Vista or a non cracked Vista, or a Cracked XP or Non cracked XP.

A cracked version (unless you suck :P) Will be able to update fully like normall. Thats what a crack is supposed to DO! Trick the system into thinking that your copy of windows is legit.

I know this, as my Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 is fully 100% cracked.
Okay. You just made all of your opinions or complaints void. You don't expect a company you didn't buy a product from to help you, don't you? I don't think you can complain.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-13-2008 at 06:03 AM

Why would the company be helping him? They're just supplying a service and he's stealing it. Unless he asks for technical support from Microsoft or anything it's not asking for help...

On the other hand regardless of whether your Vista or whatever other product it is is pirated or not, if you can supply the company from which it came with useful suggestions for improving their products in the future I don't really think they would care whether your version of their product was cracked or not. Sure they would care that you stole from them, but as far as the suggestion for the future goes it's equally as valid as someone who might've suggested something who DID pay for the product (unless you're a mega dodgy pirater and you suggest something will lead to the program being easier to pirate :P)

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-13-2008 at 06:10 AM

And i never ask for technical support ;) And im "stealing" it, becuase i do belive its not worth purchusing :).

And have you heard Apple fanboys? They dont even own a Windows product/used one :P. But they still complain and make points (Both valid and invalid points)

RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-13-2008 at 06:13 AM

quote:
And im "stealing" it, becuase i do belive its not worth purchusing :).

If it's not worth purchasing it shouldn't be worth using. Which I agree it isn't - Vista sucks.
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-13-2008 at 08:02 AM

I dont belive any software is worth buying :) But thats just me

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-13-2008 at 08:19 AM

:O You should always buy something if you can afford it. I can't afford anything so everything on my computer is pirated one way or another (except the music - gotta buy the albums). Then again I buy the music in CD format so I can say "ha, I have a disk here and I can physically hold it and I am SUPPORTING my favorite artist". I don't know anyone who would do that with a piece of software... In fact most of the pirated stuff I have I don't even use! CS3 Master Collection was the biggest waste of 3gb download ever - I don't even use a third of the stuff on there.

Fun fact: Vista was the FIRST OPERATING SYSTEM in my household that has even been legally purchased. And that's because it came with my laptop, which I then upgraded to a cracked Vista Ultimate because business was crap. :P

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-13-2008 at 08:35 AM

I can burn the disk onto a CD and hold it :). The wounders of a DVD burner :P.

And CS3 master collection sucks, i just need Photoshop and Dreamweaver :P. Most of there other apps are great, but not for me. I wouldnt use them (i dont use them :P) flash can be fun sometimes but... ye know.

And yes supporting your artist is good and all. But supporting them at $25 a peice isnt sane. :P

If CD's were like $10-$5, i would be far more willing. But oh well, there not, there over priced :).

But yeah, i havent bought any software for.... well a very long time :) Probably since i was 6..... :D

And its not just the having to dish out money thing... its the convience thing. I can just download something quickly and easily. I cant have a paypal or anything like that, as im not yet 18 (although coincedentally, i DO have a paypal account) so that knocks out the digital purchuse. Which only leaves one option left. Free download! :D. I also live 1 hour from the nearest comp store :P So a bit of a hassle, taking location into account alone.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-13-2008 at 08:38 AM

That's why I download stuff first to see if it'll be worth going out and buying it :P
And of course you can burn a cd/dvd and hold it - but it's not the same. A cheap crappy disk you get 10-50 in a pack or so of with no cool and colourful label on it. Now compare this to your unique "singular" disk you get paying the full 30 bucks for it. :)

EDIT: And printing a cd cover onto the disk still doesn't count! :P

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by vaccination on 05-13-2008 at 09:00 AM

quote:

EDIT: And printing a cd cover onto the disk still doesn't count! :P
Why not? :P

You can easily replicate an album, with artwork an everything(though personally I would print onto standard paper instead of wasting money and ink on glossy paper). And you do realise they use crappy cheap CDs too? They probably pay about 5p per CD for their CDs, if that. The 30 'bucks' you pay, is all about profit, not quality.
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-13-2008 at 09:05 AM

It's still not the same though. It's just different when you buy it instead of steal it. I didn't think about the quality of the CDs they use - they're probably worse than the ones you buy at the store!

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-13-2008 at 09:06 AM

100% profit. Have you seen them rich pop stars? FRIGGIN RICH! Grrrrr....

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-13-2008 at 09:11 AM

That's why I listen to rock/metal and not pop. Pop sucks it's just la de da look at me I'm running around the world naked popping pills speeding blah blah blah blah. They get enough attention without me paying them for more attention. Rock/metal on the otherhand are bands that are actually skilled and don't just pump out the same old song someone released several years ago with a new "twist", or no new twist at all!

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-13-2008 at 09:15 AM

Heavy Metal is godly :D

Do you know Alestorm?! Awesome band, hilarious at the same time :D. At first youl be like "wtf"but after listining to it for a bit youl be like "F' YEAH!!!!!!"

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-13-2008 at 09:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Wikipedia
Alestorm is a folk/power metal band from Perth, Scotland, formed under the name Battleheart in 2004. Their music is characterised by a pirate theme, for which reason they describe their style as "True Scottish Pirate Metal"
If it had a ninja theme it would be better.
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by vaccination on 05-13-2008 at 09:27 AM

quote:
Most of the money goes to the record companies, not the artist. Infact most of 'them rich pop stars' are probably heavily in debt. (agreed some of them are stupidly rich, like the actual successful ones)

Still, I'd much rather pay for a file I can download, and do what I like with it, and know that all the money went to the artist.
RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-13-2008 at 09:37 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wikipedia
Alestorm is a folk/power metal band from Perth, Scotland, formed under the name Battleheart in 2004. Their music is characterised by a pirate theme, for which reason they describe their style as "True Scottish Pirate Metal"
If it had a ninja theme it would be better.

You know, me and a friend said the same thing. But its still awesome, ill always sing along to it :P
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by CookieRevised on 05-14-2008 at 01:52 PM

This is getting so full of wrong stuff....

Aardvark, first you say that Vista sucks and isn't worth using it at all, then you say you upgrade to Ultimate because Bussiness sucks. What kind of argument is that?

mattisdada, CS3 Master Collection does not suck just because you don't need everything in it. If you just need 1 or two products then get that 1 or two products. Of course a Collection is going to include more than just that.

quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
And you do realise they use crappy cheap CDs too? They probably pay about 5p per CD for their CDs, if that. The 30 'bucks' you pay, is all about profit, not quality.
...I didn't think about the quality of the CDs they use - they're probably worse than the ones you buy at the store!
Sorry, but do you guys actually know what you're talking about?

How are you going to compare a home burned CD-R (most likely full of errors) with a CD which is pressed from a negative master plate in lab conditions?

100% profit? Do some research into how much the artist actually gets and where the other money goes to and why. You think you support your favorite artist by copying their CDs because you find the CDs to expensive? Guess again, for most artists copying CDs means loosing money and you do steal their bread from their plate if you do.

And the amount of succesfull rich pop stars compared to all the other billion artists who try to earn a living buy selling CDs is extremely little. The same for the very little amount of artists who successfully release a CD on their own, compared to the billions of artists who do not have the time/skill/money/whatever to make and release a CD on their own and who need a production company.

quote:
Rock/metal on the otherhand are bands that are actually skilled and don't just pump out the same old song someone released several years ago with a new "twist", or no new twist at all!
You would be surprised when you learn that a lot of Rock/metal groups actual do cover old songs and bring them out with a new 'twist'. As for skill: tbh, if I hear _some_ rock/metal singers sing I think a classical musical singer has FAR more singing skill. Does that mean I like classical musical more? No... Does that mean _all_ Rock/Metal singers are unskilled? Nope...

Instead of using arguments which are completely based upon nothing but typical (internet) hear-say and what not, learn a few things about how the real world works.

Sorry if all this sounds extremely harsh, but really....
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-14-2008 at 01:57 PM

quote:
You would be surprised when you learn that a lot of Rock/metal groups actual do cover old songs and bring them out with a new 'twist'.
Yeah well I thought of that after I said it.

Anyway as for Vista - I hadn't used Vista before, and so upgraded to Ultimate to get the "full" Vista experience. Which was ok for a while...but then I got sick of it and began to realize all the flaws in Vista, and then went back to XP.

As for the CD thing, yeah I can admit I have no evidence of that and they probably do use a somewhat quality CD to burn the disks - but if they were money hungry they would use crappy ones to increase their overall budgets.
RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Patchou on 05-14-2008 at 02:18 PM

quote:
I dont belive any software is worth buying :) But thats just me
You wouldn't say that if you spent years developing one. If that kind of thinking continues to grow, maybe some day your boss will tell you "well mate, I'm sorry but the work you did this month is not worth paying for, better luck next month".

quote:
I hadn't used Vista before, and so upgraded to Ultimate to get the "full" Vista experience. Which was ok for a while...but then I got sick of it and began to realize all the flaws in Vista, and then went back to XP.
Hum... you realized about the flaws in Vista after using it for a while? please, enlighten me. I must be dumb because I've been using Vista for more than a year, on two computers. and those flaws have yet to show on my systems.

quote:
As for the CD thing, yeah I can admit I have no evidence of that and they probably do use a somewhat quality CD to burn the disks
You're talking about manufactured disks... whatever "quality" CD-R you're using, manufactured discs (99.9% of the time) will last 10 times longer that your home made copies and will always be far more reliable. And in any case, that has nothing to do with the problem: you're not paying for the plastic and the aluminium, you're paying for the time many people have invested into making and promoting the music that's recorded on the disc.
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Voldemort on 05-14-2008 at 02:24 PM

CookieRevised and Patchou won the argument :o.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-14-2008 at 02:28 PM

-Takes far too long to boot up, uses way too much ram (I might as well say my 2gb computer is 1gb when using Vista)
-The new start menu is rubbish I liked it better when everything just nicely popped out (yes I'm aware you can change the Start Menu style, but that changes it completely and gets rid of the recently used programs and whatnot)
-The Visual style for it is rubbish, and all the Visual styles i can find for it get annoying after a while, or just don't work for me at all (so more of a personal thing there) - plus building my own style is way too hard (I've started but from a number of Googles getting transparency on my style isn't gonna happen without a lot of work)
-A number of the programs I use don't work (well) under Vista causing a number of headaches trying to find simple and efficient alternatives
-Everything by default is in LIST VIEW! I hate list view I like tiles/icons view, and it's very annoying having to change EVERY SINGLE FOLDER! I found one way I could change the default folder template but that didn't really seem to achieve what I had in mind

Umm yeah that's all I can think of at the moment. There are a lot of positive things I like about Vista too, but some of the positive things one way or another can be replicated back in XP or any other operating system.

EDIT: Oo, the bootloader! It's like a war between XOSL and bootmgr on my computer when I ever need to change something drastic with Vista. Took me 8 days to sort out the last problem...

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Patchou on 05-14-2008 at 02:54 PM

RAM is meant to be USED for christ's sake, when will people learn that? of course your operating system is going to use whatever memory is available. That's what makes your whole computer as efficient as possible. Windows 95 used 4MB of RAM, Windows 98 8-16MB, Windows 2000 about 64MB, Windows XP could very well use 256MB and Vista is generally happy with 1GB. What is the problem there? New systems need more power and more resources for tons of reasons. Some programs look cooler and offer more features in Vista than they did in Win2000 and than they previously did in Win98? guess what, that's thank to Windows using more of what your computer has to offer.

Boot time is extremely fast on my two systems, probably faster than XP so I don't see what's your problem there. As for List View, I'm not sure what you're talking about either, as with any past version of Windows I can remember, you can ask Windows to use whatever you want by default in Folder Options. Vista will simply try to displauy your files the best way possible it can think of, it won't always succeed but that's a matter of personal taste.

As far as the new start menu and visual styles are concerned, it's alsto a matter of personal taste so that can't be considered flaws either (and you can change all of that in the options as well anyway). In any case, I don't see how they could be considered "annoying". You either like them and keep them, or you don't.

And last but not least: program compatibility. That's not Microsoft's fault, they already work their ass off to make sure many half-baked programs continue to work on their new systems. If one of your programs doesn't work in Vista and worked on XP, email the developers and ask them to stop watching porn all day long and fix stuff that needs to be fixed in their buggy program. About any well done program that was developed for Windows 2000 will work flawlessly in Windows Vista.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-14-2008 at 03:06 PM

Yeah well that's why it's just my opinion/taste. 8-) It's a flaw in my opinion with what I use/enjoy when using a computer. Of course RAM is meant to be used - and that's where the problem is. I multitask HEAPS, and that RAM should be going towards what I'm actually focused on, not on keeping my system up and running. I often run a number of virtual machines too, and their RAM is limited because Vista is using half of my total, so it's not really easy to test and try things in the virtual machines...

Compatibility was an issue when I first got Vista (I didn't know about needing to integrate the sata drivers into my XP installation disk, so I couldn't set up the dual boot), of course XP's up and running alongside Vista now (among other things) so that's fine I guess...still a bit tedious having to constantly restart your computer just because you want to use a different program to do one simple task.

And of course your boot time is much more faster than mine. You probably have a lot more expensive computer, so it's probably better than mine (this was a pretty cheap computer, or so I think).

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by CookieRevised on 05-14-2008 at 03:33 PM

quote:
-Takes far too long to boot up, uses way too much ram (I might as well say my 2gb computer is 1gb when using Vista)
As Patchou also said, ram is meant to be used....

I wouldn't have bought an extra GB just to let it rot away :P (Vista would run fine with 1GB nevertheless though), and when I would have 4GB I would almost demand that Vista used 2GB or more if it was available and not in use....

quote:
-The new start menu is rubbish
-The Visual style for it is rubbish
-I hate list view
All preferences, not flaws! And hardly "not worth buying or using it" or "it sucks and is crap"... /me not likes it, /me changes it (like the default start menu which I don't like either; even not in XP)....

quote:
-A number of the programs I use don't work (well) under Vista causing a number of headaches trying to find simple and efficient alternatives
Where are those posts talking about compatibility and people bashing MS and hating Vista because it still supports old stuff, isn't "innovative" enough and all that because it still needs to be compatible, and how MS should break their road map and start building things without taking in account old stuff... (sic: see first page or so in this thread).

Speaking of irony and contradiction....

Anyways, what I actually wanted to say: a flaw/bug <> taste/opinion....but I must always rant ;)

EDIT:
quote:
I often run a number of virtual machines too, and their RAM is limited because Vista is using half of my total, so it's not really easy to test and try things in the virtual machines...
granted... but you could change that too by letting Vista only use a certain amount of RAM.... (is possible in XP too btw).

quote:
And of course your boot time is much more faster than mine. You probably have a lot more expensive computer, so it's probably better than mine (this was a pretty cheap computer, or so I think).
I think he meant compared to XP on that very same machine of his.

---------

Do I like Vista: sure... Does it still has some twirks or things I don't like: sure...
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Patchou on 05-15-2008 at 04:41 AM

For reference: my computer is 2 1/2 years old, I didn't upgrade a thing in it since I got it and Vista works like a charm on it. Boot time with Vista is faster than it was with XP on the same system.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-15-2008 at 05:02 AM

Each new OS is excpected to be using more RAM then previous generation.

If your really that worried about it USING ram, then use MS-DOS(1) again :)
[me making crap things sound good]
It used under 1mb :P. And the boot times were fantastic. Used very little processing power, so you could really focus on the application and not background processors. The interface is really simple and basic. Had great combability at its time, everything made for it ran on it!
[/me making me crap things sound good]

MS-DOS does sound like a great OS. Maybe we should all convert?

And i seriously dont think that Vista has many combatability problems.....Except for AV's i dont know anything that didnt work for me. Most things if it didnt run well at first, i could just right click and make it "Windows XP" combatability. It fixed majourty of problems if anything arised...... Or havent you found that button yet?

In folder options there is an option to make "List" or "Thumbnails"
and etc the deafult.

And are you running Virtrull Machines on your Laptop? Or is it just another computer at home your using.

And secondly, 256MB of ram sucked on XP as well... 512 wasnt great. 1GB was comfortable for Applications + the  OS itself.

And yes, you can limit how much RAM it can use, and how much Virtrull Ram it can use (Stores data on HDD in System Information i think).

And back to the Music thing. Some Metal Bands do alot of covers. Most dont. Megadeath hasnt done a single one, Avengend sevenfold has done 3, Tool have done none, Three Days Grace have done 1. Most pop music these days are covers with a 'twist'. Im talking about the majourty of ones on the Radio.

And although yes, the CD media used by Music Artists is higher quailty, but they do it in mass bulk. It would only be abother 5c more per CD compared to Vertabrain ($16 for 50). And yes, they have to cover costs, sure. Thats a givin. But, theres a "covering costs" and theres a "over pricing". I was reading an article a while ago (it might be wrong, this was in a magizine btw), they said that for every $25 cd sold, the ARTIST makes $16.

Another reason why Digital Downloads (Buying) has become so much more popular :).

And if you do a few service and start item tweaks (and doing tweaks to XP as well) you can make it boot far FAR faster. And both on deafult my Vista boots faster anyway (4GB 800 ram and 3.6ghz q6600 (quad)).

Ubuntu boots far slower then my Vista as well... So i wouldnt really complain about Vista's booting time. Its not bad at all.

PS: Sorry for typos, bells went :P Might edit when i come home.

RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-15-2008 at 05:18 AM

quote:

I wouldn't have bought an extra GB just to let it rot away :P
Neither - but the problem is I often end up using all my ram as well as the page file (if I use a page file).
quote:
All preferences, not flaws!
I consider it to be a flaw, because ergonomically it reduces my production rate etc trying to do things I'm used to with all Windows operating systems which are now in weird and wacky places. To be fair though you can't just stick to the same thing forever, and I'm probably just not used to using Vista (how can I booting 6 operating systems) but my other friends who do have Vista solely agree with me that things such as the layout of the start menu are poorly designed and frustrating to use.

quote:
Where are those posts talking about compatibility and people bashing MS and hating Vista because it still supports old stuff, isn't "innovative" enough and all that because it still needs to be compatible, and how MS should break their road map and start building things without taking in account old stuff...
Realistically that frustration of programs not working should be directed to the software makers who haven't come out with a newer version that actually works with Vista. They don't HAVE to but they do keep on pumping out regular updates and bug fixes. Some even claim vista compatibility when there is actually none! Best example of that: Alcohol 120%. For some people it works, for other it doesn't!

quote:
but you could change that too by letting Vista only use a certain amount of RAM.... (is possible in XP too btw).
Cool didn't know that. :)

quote:
I think he meant compared to XP on that very same machine of his.
Yeah that's what I meant too. I've got XP and Vista both on my computer and I often compare the boot time differences.

EDIT: @mattisdada
I actually have MS-DOS 6.22 installed (and Windows 3.11 too, of course :P)
And this is all on the same laptop.
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Mike on 05-15-2008 at 05:19 AM

quote:
uses way too much ram (I might as well say my 2gb computer is 1gb when using Vista)
It's called Superfetching and it actually makes your computer faster by preloading programs you frequently use.
quote:
Originally posted by http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/performance.mspx

Windows SuperFetch

A new memory management technology in Windows Vista, Windows SuperFetch, helps keep the computer consistently responsive to your programs by making better use of the computer's RAM. Windows SuperFetch prioritizes the programs you're currently using over background tasks and adapts to the way you work by tracking the programs you use most often and preloading these into memory. With SuperFetch, background tasks still run when the computer is idle. However, when the background task is finished, SuperFetch repopulates system memory with the data you were working with before the background task ran. Now, when you return to your desk, your programs will continue to run as efficiently as they did before you left.

More information about superfetching: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windows...ls/superfetch.mspx

If you don't like it, disable the Superfetch service.

quote:
It used under 1mb (Smilie). And the boot times were fantastic.
It can also work with less than 640KB of ram.
Also, boot times are horrible for an 8MHz computer (but I'm speaking about MS-DOS 5).
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-15-2008 at 05:21 AM

I know what superfetch is, I have disabled it - Vista still uses a lot (of ram) though.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Menthix on 05-15-2008 at 07:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
For reference: my computer is 2 1/2 years old, I didn't upgrade a thing in it since I got it and Vista works like a charm on it.
Your 2.5 year old alienware that was ridicilously powerful at the time when you bought it? :p
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by vaccination on 05-15-2008 at 07:31 AM

quote:
I know what superfetch is, I have disabled it - Vista still uses a lot (of ram) though.
But it's not being wasted, why the fuck would you want ram that wasn't being used? =/
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-15-2008 at 07:34 AM

But it IS going to be used - that's the problem! I can't do everything I want to at once because Vista is STILL using way too much ram! It's not like I'm using 1.7gb of my 2gb ram here - I use all of it (or as much as I can without everything starting to lag)

Also if I'm on battery power Vista really drains it fast (which is why for obvious reasons I use XP or Ubuntu when I'm on battery power, but still - I do use Vista sometimes too)

RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant by CookieRevised on 05-15-2008 at 10:04 AM

quote:
I was reading an article a while ago (it might be wrong, this was in a magizine btw), they said that for every $25 cd sold, the ARTIST makes $16.
Although it always depends on extremely many things, and you should take in account "reduction of royalties", that rate would be very wrong (even if you don't take reduction of royalties in account). A more realistic rate would be $1 for the artist* out of $17 for the retail price of a CD. And then there is also something like "recoupment" which makes that bands wont even get that $1 before they first sell a certain amount (in the hundreds of thousands usually) of CDs...

* And that $1 is based upon the full royalty rate for when the CD is sold at full price in a retail store. If the CD is discounted (in that same retail store) or sold in clubs, smaller stores, or oversees, or whatever, you even get a far lower royalty rate (quite often 50% less). And most CDs do not sell at retail stores at all.

And before you say: "well then, lets all download some music more since most of the CD retail price goes to the record companies":
- Even that $1 (if that is even what they get) is hard earned money for the artist and he needs it to be able to make his living (which is always hard! Most artists never go in retirement because they simply can not effort it!!! They must keep working to earn a living).
- Many artists need record companies. So even if you would think you would kill off the record company by not buying CDs anymore, you would also bring down the artists with it, because its the record companies who make sure the artist sells, who watch for copyright, who make promotion, buy radio time, who make sure the artist has an audience, is known, etc etc.
- There are artists who make their CDs independant of a record company. They recieve more for each CD sold, obviously. So if you don't buy their CDs, but steal their music instead, you would actually kill them even faster...

Again, I'm talking about the majority of all artists. Not about the extremely rare mega artists, single success wonders who have 5 houses, their own record company and be able to buy an island or whatever, which many people like to use as an example of how "rich" artists are.
RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant by andrewdodd13 on 05-15-2008 at 10:23 AM

quote:
But it IS going to be used - that's the problem! I can't do everything I want to at once because Vista is STILL using way too much ram! It's not like I'm using 1.7gb of my 2gb ram here - I use all of it (or as much as I can without everything starting to lag)

Well, I don't know what you use that uses more than 1.7gb of RAM, seeing as I can multitask WoW and VS 2008 on 1gb of RAM on Vista without much lag.
Even with the Superfetch service disabled [which is stupid btw, we'll get to that soon] Vista isn't using as much memory as you think. After you've just booted you'll probably notice ~40% memory being used, but if you fill the memory and then close those programs, you'll notice it goes down to ~20-25%, as Vista paged out the stuff that it wasn't using. [You'll not be able to see this using taskman, as taskman shows all memory usage, including page].

quote:
Also if I'm on battery power Vista really drains it fast (which is why for obvious reasons I use XP or Ubuntu when I'm on battery power, but still - I do use Vista sometimes too)
Ubuntu drains the battery faster than Vista for me. If you set Vista to use Performance rather than Power Save, then obviously it will drain it faster. Power Save on Vista gets roughly the same as XP for me.

quote:

It used under 1mb (Smilie). And the boot times were fantastic.

Yes, but unfortunately DOS 1.1 didn't use 32-bit memory addresses so it couldn't address that 2 gig that Aardvark uses. :) [Also even DOS 2.0 had a partition limit of 10MB for FAT12...]

I still use XP. :D
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-15-2008 at 10:31 AM

I disabled every single thing I could on Vista and I couldn't get it below 500mb of RAM. Interestingly though another time when I wasn't disabling anything (such as DWM etc, superfetch was off both times though) it was around the 475mb mark, which is roughly what I think Vista uses when it's doing absolutely nothing (read it a long time ago, it was four hundred and something). The computer's always been on power save yet it still drains a lot quicker compared to say XP (1.5 - 2x)

Comparing say 200mb on XP idle with 400 or so Vista idle it doesn't seem like much of a problem. But as soon as you start doing something with Vista (let's say opening Firefox) suddenly everything doubles (or triples), explorer starts using 50-100mb and sometimes even more some crazy reasons (not as often now since SP1...) and it jumps back up to 700-1000mb of ram again - and Firefox hasn't even loaded yet - it's still initializing and the process is only using 6mb so far...crazy! Sure other things like system-resources-that-do-stuff-that-can't-be-seen-without-other-useful-programs are contributing to the spike in ram, but it's still a massive leap just by doing one simple task (I guess that's where the limiting how much ram the OS can use would come into play :P)

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by andrewdodd13 on 05-15-2008 at 10:36 AM

I seriously don't know where you're getting your figures from. With Firefox, Windows Live and uTorrent open, my Vista laptop sat at 40%. Which is pretty much 400mb.

And all that was disabled was DWM. [Superfetch etc, was still running]

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-15-2008 at 10:40 AM

I'm getting my figures from what I just did just then. 8-) My computer is whacked :S

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-15-2008 at 11:35 AM

Your computer has some issues. By any chance do you have either
A) Spyware
B) Virus
C) Craptastical RAM

And why do you still have Windows 3.1 and MS DOS 6 installed on your computer!!!! And your running multipule virturull machines on a LAPTOP?! Does the processor even support Virtrulasation?!

And obviously somethings wrong if FF is using a GB. Even when my server is making a 75MB script (Its my browser tester) Opera doesnt go above 300, 000. And FF doesnt go above 500, 000.

Thats multipule tabs, and a 75MB generating document!!!!!

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-15-2008 at 11:39 AM

Yes it does support virtualization, no I don't have a virus this is a fresh Vista installation I haven't even used it enough to possibly have any thing wrong with it, I didn't say Firefox was using a gb I said Vista was now using a gb.

EDIT: This isn't the first time I've tried to see what I can make the ram do by opening programs and closing everything else, this is just the results of what happened when I posted above. Every other time it's been pretty similar though (ie 1.3x more ram or whatever)

I have Windows 3.1 and MS DOS 6 installed because I thought it would be a challenge. It certainly was. But it was do-able. What's wrong with running multiple virtual machines? The things that I do don't test themselves you know.

And the RAM is fine it works great on every other operating system but Vista - the computer came pre-loaded with Vista so it's obviously designed for it.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by vaccination on 05-15-2008 at 12:26 PM

Well I have 2GB or RAM and I'm hardly ever over 50% of it, and that's with things like Photoshop, Visual Studio etc running, and nothing lags =/

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Voldemort on 05-15-2008 at 03:00 PM

quote:
And although yes, the CD media used by Music Artists is higher quailty, but they do it in mass bulk. It would only be abother 5c more per CD compared to Vertabrain ($16 for 50). And yes, they have to cover costs, sure. Thats a givin. But, theres a "covering costs" and theres a "over pricing". I was reading an article a while ago (it might be wrong, this was in a magizine btw), they said that for every $25 cd sold, the ARTIST makes $16.
Newb. They CAN'T use verbatim.... google your ass off until you find out how they are made.
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Voldemort on 05-15-2008 at 03:20 PM

quote:
And obviously somethings wrong if FF is using a GB. Even when my server is making a 75MB script (Its my browser tester) Opera doesnt go above 300, 000. And FF doesnt go above 500, 000.
I can make firefox use over 750mb easily...
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Patchou on 05-15-2008 at 08:31 PM

and remember one VERY important thing: taks manager is NOT a good way to measure the amount of memory really used by any of your programs. Memory is often reserved without being used, Windows knows that and uses that fact among many others to optimize all memory use.

RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-16-2008 at 03:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
taks manager is NOT a good way to measure the amount of memory really used by any of your programs.
Interesting. What would be a good program to use instead?
RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-16-2008 at 04:13 AM

quote:
quote:
Newb. They CAN'T use verbatim.... google your ass off until you find out how they are made.

Quite obviously you should READ what is said more often :).

I said COMPARED. I was making a COMPARISION. Vertabrian are good quality blank CD manafactuers. That cost a bit more then your random chinise brands.

Side note: Vertabrain do make CD's for proper CD manfacturing. Eg, what real CD/DVDs that you buy :). Sony does as well, and i THINK HP do as well. Not sure on them though.
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Voldemort on 05-16-2008 at 05:25 AM

quote:
Quite obviously you should READ what is said more often (Smilie).

I said COMPARED. I was making a COMPARISION. Vertabrian are good quality blank CD manafactuers. That cost a bit more then your random chinise brands.

Side note: Vertabrain do make CD's for proper CD manfacturing. Eg, what real CD/DVDs that you buy (Smilie). Sony does as well, and i THINK HP do as well. Not sure on them though.
I still can't find a way to make your post seem right.... Companies that sell almost any kind of content in cds don't use cd burners...
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-16-2008 at 06:39 AM

No, im making a comparision.

Ok lets put it THIS way.

Regular DVD's/CD's cost about 3.125c per disk. The special manfacturing ones cost about 8.125c per disk.

I was giving a comparision to show the "Not that expensive" point.

RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant by andrewdodd13 on 05-16-2008 at 02:01 PM

quote:
No, im making a comparision.

Ok lets put it THIS way.

Regular DVD's/CD's cost about 3.125c per disk. The special manfacturing ones cost about 8.125c per disk.

I was giving a comparision to show the "Not that expensive" point.
I'm not sure you get the picture here.

While I realise CDs are slightly expensive, they're not really expensive.

For example, when you buy most new releases from Amazon they're ~£8.99 - this is a price with a low retailer mark-up (shops such as HMV sell them with more of a mark-up).

From that we can safely assume that around £7 is paid by the retailer.

You have to divvy that up, some goes to the artist, some goes to the recording studio, some to the manufacturer.

They're not that expensive.

How much is $25AUD in real money? And why do you lot all use the same damned symbol.
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by markee on 05-17-2008 at 03:29 AM

If you are using a clean install of Vista on a laptop that came with Vista, you probably have a lot of bloatware that the company put on there.  This stuff is probably effecting your memmory.  Plus after changing your settings did you do a full restart of your system before quoting the memmory usage?

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-17-2008 at 04:29 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

How much is $25AUD in real money? And why do you lot all use the same damned symbol.
What's that supposed to mean?! "Real money". And what symbol, $? What's wrong with $!
Well, £ is actually worth something :). It's clearly obvious that it's British Sterling, because no other popular currency uses that symbol, unlike $ which is used by the Americans, Candians, and you lot. :P

Actually, looking at it now, $25AUS is roughly £12. If you pay that much for CD online, then you guys do get ripped off. :)
Uh huh. I would think that considering $ is used by more countries it would be considered the true "real money"

quote:
If you are using a clean install of Vista on a laptop that came with Vista, you probably have a lot of bloatware that the company put on there.  This stuff is probably effecting your memmory.  Plus after changing your settings did you do a full restart of your system before quoting the memmory usage?
A lot of bloatware doesn't even begin to describe it - but this is a clean installation of Vista Ultimate, not of Vista Business. If it were Business my computer would be reset to factory settings and delete the 7 days hard work it took me getting all the operating systems working fine. (stupid recovery disks). So I don't have any bloatware anymore. (that's one of the key reasons I wanted to get Ultimate instead of Business - it didn't matter what version I got, as long as I would be able to format the hard drive and install a nice, clean, fresh installation)

Yeah I did to a restart after changing the settings.
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-17-2008 at 04:53 AM

Hmm, well that only leaves one option left....

Are you blind and can only read numbers that are above a certain amount, and if there below that certain amount you then make up in your subconcious them to be higher :P.

At least screenshot us :), Then screenshot what Proccess you have going.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-18-2008 at 10:30 AM

They don't suck. They just need to do better. (going back to office 2007 here) today I found out I can save my own custom templates for text boxes. How cool is that! I would say that Office 2007 could be Microsoft's best designed product yet! (however with one slight improvement - the option of whether to use ribbon or not. That way people such as Cookie who don't like/want to use the ribbon will want to use the product too).

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-18-2008 at 11:20 AM

They do. Theres an OFFICALL patch to make it into old school style :P

RE: RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-18-2008 at 11:21 AM

quote:
They do. Theres an OFFICALL patch to make it into old school style :P
URL? And the point is it should be integrated by default.
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-18-2008 at 11:37 AM

It should be, i dont know google it. I found it when i was admin of the school for a week and i installed it into the network.

Turns out it was 3rd party... i swear i got one from Microsoft....... oh well.

http://www.download32.com/classic-menu-for-office-2007-i4492.html

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by CookieRevised on 05-18-2008 at 07:45 PM

No, MS doesn't have anything which replaced the ribbon.

That 3rd party plugin (not a patch) is however not free and also doesn't include all the new stuff iirc and the menus are kind of ackward too.

IMHO, MS should have indeed included something to choose between the classic menus and the ribbon. If they did I would maybe have installed Office 2007, now I stay away from it as far as possible.

At least, MS does however have an online simulation where you can click on the normal classic menu and it tells you where that specific menu item is on the ribbon in Office 2007. Doesn't include all the classical menu items either though...

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by surfichris on 05-19-2008 at 03:08 AM

Cookie,

Have you tried Search Commands? It's a thing that MS put out to help people find things in the ribbon. May help you learn what's where and help you "Love it more." as in the screenshot...

[Image: Search%20Commands%20in%20Word%20633.jpg]

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by CookieRevised on 05-19-2008 at 06:12 AM

Nope, but very nice tip...

And here you can find the interactive flash guides (yes, Adobe flash :p) for Office 2007 which I talked about in my previous post. It shows the classical menu and when you click on a menu item it shows where it is located in the ribbon:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/training/HA102295841033.aspx
Choose an item under "Interactive Guides" > "Run from here"

And you also have Excel workbooks which map the classical menus to the ribbon menus under "Mapping Workbooks" for all the Office apps.

Doesn't let me "love" it more or "hate" it less though :p

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by markee on 05-21-2008 at 02:13 AM

Cookie, I highly suggest that if you find the time that you should try to muck around with office 2007.  It really makes things easy and has a lot more power that is easier to find.

I personally like the old classic menu, but it is just like getting any new software, you play around with it and find your way and soon enough you can use its full potential (it is definitely quicker and easier to learn its full potential with the layout and functionality of the new ribbon.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Th3rmal on 05-21-2008 at 03:23 AM

quote:
Cookie,

Have you tried Search Commands? It's a thing that MS put out to help people find things in the ribbon. May help you learn what's where and help you "Love it more." as in the screenshot...

[Image: Search%20Commands%20in%20Word%20633.jpg]
that seems like a good feature. It has much potential IMO. Although watching the tutorial video, i couldnt actually concentrate on its features as i was too busy laughing at how the chick was singing the song :lol:
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by mattisdada on 05-21-2008 at 06:14 AM

The problem with bad singers :P

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by CookieRevised on 05-21-2008 at 09:19 AM

quote:
Cookie, I highly suggest that if you find the time that you should try to muck around with office 2007.  It really makes things easy and has a lot more power that is easier to find.

I personally like the old classic menu, but it is just like getting any new software, you play around with it and find your way and soon enough you can use its full potential (it is definitely quicker and easier to learn its full potential with the layout and functionality of the new ribbon.
see my reply before: CookieRevised's reply to [split] Microsoft rant
RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-21-2008 at 01:26 PM

With the way of limiting how much RAM windows can use, was this referring to  /MAXMEM being put in the boot.ini file (or something similiar for Vista). And if so - does this limit how much memory Windows thinks it has? Or does it actually limit how much it can use. So if I said maxmem was 100mb in the boot.ini file would Windows resources always make sure they stay under 100mb in total, allowing the rest of my RAM to be used freely with other applications? Or what.

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by CookieRevised on 05-21-2008 at 03:08 PM

yes and no.

For Windows 2000/2003/NT/XP use "/MAXMEM=<amount in MB>" in BOOT.INI to set the maximum physical address that Windows will scan in search of RAM. Other programs which are able to access the memory directly(!) can then use the other memory.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/108393

For Window Vista use the "TRUNCATEMEMORY <amount in bytes>" switch in BCDEDIT for the same effect.

Never ever set those values lower than the minimum requirements for te OS! And it is highly important to note that this will only work if you have contiguous ram. eg: there will always be a gap in the address space at the 3,5GB boundery.

---

However, it must be noted that the "/BURNMEMORY=<amount in MB>" parameter would probably more what you're looking for though. This will subtract the amount of megabytes you've specified from the amount of memory otherwise allocated to the system.

For Windows Vista the equivalent is the "REMOVEMEMORY <amount in bytes>" switch.

Then there is also the /3GB parameter...

---------------------------------------

But actually, as said several times before, there is no reason and it makes very little sense why you should want to use all that (unless you want to test something in a simulated low or high memory environment). The Windows OS uses as much memroy as it can use and it does this in a dynamic and ntelligent way, it will not 'overuse' the memory. Furthermore, memory is there to be used, and if the OS doesn't use it, it is available for programs, and vice versa. And remember that using the task manager (or many many other but similar tools) to check how much memory actually is used by a program or Windows is not possible!! It will give you a completely wrong idea.

Things you MUST read before using it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/108393
http://technet.microsoft.com/nl-be/sysinternals/bb963892(en-us).aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2007/01/26/1537079.aspx

RE: [split] Microsoft rant by Aardvark on 05-21-2008 at 03:13 PM

Excellent thanks Cookie. Personally I'm not going to use it, but it's always good to know to help out someone who might.