Shoutbox

What you want the next gen interface to be. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: What you want the next gen interface to be. (/showthread.php?tid=83655)

What you want the next gen interface to be. by mattisdada on 05-11-2008 at 04:37 AM

Ok, this post was just a picture of a mock up "Next Gen" desktop i had made up in about 10-15mins. So not alot of effort :P

What i have here currently is just a concept colour scheme.

What i want you guys to do though, is tell me what you think would be a cool NEW interface.... one thats diffrent. But still looks goods and would be usefull. :)

My original interface just looked like a Linux (Ubuntu for example) interface but a bit cooler and a bit more "out of place".

So anyway, an idea is like making the menu and stuff only come up with middle click and it comes up as a round wheel around the mouse. Ill draw up a mock of that after work.

http://rrelive.com/Next_Gen_1_0_0.jpg
http://rrelive.com/Next_Gen_1_0_1.jpg
http://rrelive.com/Next_Gen_1_0_2.jpg

Edition 1.0.3:
[Image: Next_Gen_1_0_3.jpg]
Edition 1.0.4(With EXAMPLE bars):
[Image: Next_Gen_1_0_4.jpg]

RE: Next Gen Desktop Mock. by prashker on 05-11-2008 at 04:48 AM

i don't like it :banana:

RE: Next Gen Desktop Mock. by mattisdada on 05-11-2008 at 04:50 AM

Lol. I said constructive feedback mr!

RE: Next Gen Desktop Mock. by prashker on 05-11-2008 at 04:50 AM

i don't like it however with improvement specified by others who are more milling to post as i am too lazy to type I may :banana:

RE: Next Gen Desktop Mock. by mattisdada on 05-11-2008 at 04:59 AM

*sigh* If only sam was more helpfull!

RE: Next Gen Desktop Mock. by -dt- on 05-11-2008 at 05:15 AM

why have two taskbars :-/ waste of screen space :P

RE: Next Gen Desktop Mock. by mattisdada on 05-11-2008 at 05:23 AM

True, but i like it. Gnome distros has it.

RE: Next Gen Desktop Mock. by Eddie on 05-11-2008 at 05:34 AM

I don't like it at all, it just doesn't look like an OS to me at all, sorry.

RE: Next Gen Desktop Mock. by NanaFreak on 05-11-2008 at 05:36 AM

font big enough for you? like are you going to use it sitting on the opposite side of the room or something?

and the colours arent that good really...

RE: Next Gen Desktop Mock. by Felu on 05-11-2008 at 05:47 AM

Everything but the blue background doesn't look good to me...

RE: Next Gen Desktop Mock. by Phillip on 05-11-2008 at 05:53 AM

Yes and if you take a look at some of todays desktops then this doesn't look very next gen :P

RE: Next Gen Desktop Mock. by mattisdada on 05-11-2008 at 05:57 AM

Ahh yes, but, i was going to add in the "Next Gen" Interface bit in, after i thought it up :P. This is just an early draft.

Text size got shrunk a bit

RE: What you want the next gen interface to be. by vaccination on 05-11-2008 at 08:10 AM

it's wayyyyyyyyy too big.

Put it this way, even the default vista taskbar is too big...

Basically chunky isn't nice, and definitely not next gen. If you want some ideas you can look at a vista concept I made ages ago, but that's not next gen either.

RE: What you want the next gen interface to be. by Spunky on 05-11-2008 at 08:17 AM

LCARS ftw :p

RE: What you want the next gen interface to be. by NiteMare on 05-11-2008 at 09:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
LCARS ftw :p
agreed!:P
RE: What you want the next gen interface to be. by mattisdada on 05-11-2008 at 09:46 AM

LCARS?

RE: What you want the next gen interface to be. by NiteMare on 05-11-2008 at 10:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
LCARS?
Google it:P

basicly its the GUI you see on all star trek federation ship interfaces
RE: What you want the next gen interface to be. by mattisdada on 05-11-2008 at 10:10 AM

Awww lame! I havent even seen star trek :( It looks lame though :P

RE: What you want the next gen interface to be. by Quantum on 05-11-2008 at 10:17 AM

Maybe all the things we have on our taskbar can be on our keyboards?

haha @ LCARS

I seen a documentary once about this guy who changed his whole house into a star trek enterprize ship. It really did look cool & if you didn't know it was a house you would probrably think it was the real thing (meaning a studio set).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U67CJqLUjA0

RE: What you want the next gen interface to be. by mattisdada on 05-11-2008 at 10:18 AM

Thats fairly cool.

RE: What you want the next gen interface to be. by Aardvark on 05-11-2008 at 10:49 AM

Yucky fonts yucky size yucky in the middle all over the screen yucky background yucky thingo up the top and bottom and yeah doesn't even look next gen. :P Next gen should be clean crisp fonts sleek and amazing, transparent effects and as a whole when you look at it you just go WOW that is so freakin cool, like that holo thing the guy was using in Iron Man, where he could like sculpt the model with his hands, that's so awesome!

EDIT: Not overly transparent though. there's no need to go overboard. I love the way Mac OS X Leopard looks with it's transparency. Nice darkish yet skillfully coloured metallic bar thing up the top, somewhat transparent, with minimal transparency on the dock. Absolutely magnificent. Now compare that with what they've done with Vista. Leopard > Vista as far as the beauty of the transparency goes.