Shoutbox

[Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 (/showthread.php?tid=83658)

[Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by mynetx on 05-11-2008 at 07:42 AM

More features to be included...

RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by Phillip on 05-11-2008 at 07:49 AM

So what does it do exactly..?

RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by Felu on 05-11-2008 at 08:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
So what does it do exactly..?
Description: Detects received URLs in a chat and shows a website preview in a toast.
RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by TheSourcE on 05-11-2008 at 01:02 PM

Good script. I like it. (Y) :D

RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by Th3rmal on 05-11-2008 at 01:05 PM

Very nice, very very nice. Good idea and concept

RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by Jimbo on 05-11-2008 at 01:17 PM

When you install it it says "Welcome at URL Preview", shouldnt it be welcome to?

RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by mynetx on 05-11-2008 at 02:05 PM

You're right, Jimbo, I will correct in next version. The script simply grabs all received URLs in chat messages and displays a small thumbnail of the website. This removes the need to click the link to see what is behind it. If the thumb looks promising, then simply click it and the site will open in your default browser, just like you would have clicked the link directly. Next features will include 4 selectable sizes from 280x210px to 100x75px (currently fixed to 200x150px), and a setting to choose the position of the thumbnail (currently fixed to left-bottom). Maybe I'll also include an URL filter, which would e.g. hide all thumbnails from *.youtube.com or so. Any suggestions?

RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by Jimbo on 05-11-2008 at 04:30 PM

Personally, i love this script, its really useful when friends think they're funny sending you dirty links like lemonparty:P and you click them. Also, i think you should give the user a choice of where to position the toast, like bottom left, top left, top right etc, and the size of the window, rather than having choices, maybe just let the user enter their own constraints, maybe with a restriction so it cannot go larger than a certain number. Thanks :)

RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by mynetx on 05-11-2008 at 04:50 PM

Good input, Jimbo! (Y)

RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by Intosia on 05-12-2008 at 05:03 PM

I dont know how the script makes the thumbnail (i asume loading a instance of IE and making a screenshot). But what about security? Sites that do someting that is not cool, like evil javacript/cookies/ etc. Those are then automaticly executed. So when u know who has the script you send 'evil site', and its executed on the receivers pc.

RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by Matti on 05-12-2008 at 08:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Intosia
I dont know how the script makes the thumbnail (i asume loading a instance of IE and making a screenshot). But what about security? Sites that do someting that is not cool, like evil javacript/cookies/ etc. Those are then automaticly executed. So when u know who has the script you send 'evil site', and its executed on the receivers pc.
The script uses a site called SnapCasa which makes the screenshots. It's completely safe to use this, because if the site is bad, the worst thing that could happen is that the SnapCasa server is attacked. The thumbnail isn't made on your computer, it is simply downloaded from the SnapCasa servers. ;)
RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by CookieRevised on 05-12-2008 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
quote:
The script uses a site called SnapCasa which makes the screenshots. It's completely safe to use this, because if the site is bad, the worst thing that could happen is that the SnapCasa server is attacked. The thumbnail isn't made on your computer, it is simply downloaded from the SnapCasa servers. ;)
In that case, I will install it (y)(y)(y)...

PS: you might wanna explain this too in the description. It's very important info to know me thinks (and might give you some more downloads too) :D
Together with saying that the thumbs are cached, so it might be that it doesn't give a 'live' view of the site

------

What happens when a snapshot is queued? Does the script try again after a few seconds? I ask this because when I tried out their service (without your script) I often get a "queued snapshot" and I needed to refresh the page again.
^^ EDIT: Apparently not. So, it would be nice if the script would retry a few (user configuarable) seconds later when a "in queue" picture is shown because I get them all the time :(

I also hope such a script isn't seen as abusing their system though :p
RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by Dempsey on 05-12-2008 at 08:56 PM

It could me modified to support many different similar website thumbnail services I'm sure to help ease the load on the servers

RE: RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by Intosia on 05-13-2008 at 08:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
quote:

Ahhh ok :) After looking at the script i thought it would be something like that :)

Tobad you packed the most interesting part though :P
RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by mynetx on 05-13-2008 at 11:02 AM

quote:
Not at all, the packed part is not a central part of the script ;)

And thanks for all your input, guys. I will have a look in when to implement which features, depending on my time. The people who betatested the script once will notice that it took quite long, because I didn't have time for this script for a long time (first alpha is from January...).

/edit: Intosia, both your avatar URL and the URL to change it within your signature are unknown, as the corresponding domain name is a free domain.
RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by CookieRevised on 05-14-2008 at 02:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mynetx
quote:
Not at all, the packed part is not a central part of the script ;)
Why is it there in the first place? And why hide it like it is something malicious*? IF anything, show it, eg: in the about window or something... As it only enlarges the script and has no further use. And, tbh, is one of the reason I personally would remove scripts if I wasn't able to unpack it to see what it is (and I know I'm not the only one)....

* For those who wonder, it isn't malicious at all... but it also will not work most of the time...

EDIT: must have looked a bit better the first time. Ok, there's a reason it is there. But still, there are better (and smaller) ways to do it.... (see MSN chat)
RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by Dempsey on 05-14-2008 at 02:12 PM

The website link in the about window points to http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/view/-1/?lang=en

RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by mynetx on 05-14-2008 at 02:17 PM

Thanks Dempsey, this bug will be resolved as soon as I have this version added to the scripts DB and then publish a new version with the correct script_database_id ;)

RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by mattumanutd on 05-18-2008 at 06:55 PM

i like it alot just i would like it mroe if it was on the bottom right ratehr then teh bottom left, u can input a choice for the user to choose the position :P

RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by Jimbo on 05-18-2008 at 09:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mattumanutd
i like it alot just i would like it mroe if it was on the bottom right ratehr then teh bottom left, u can input a choice for the user to choose the position :P
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
Personally, i love this script, its really useful when friends think they're funny sending you dirty links like lemonparty:P and you click them. Also, i think you should give the user a choice of where to position the toast, like bottom left, top left, top right etc, and the size of the window, rather than having choices, maybe just let the user enter their own constraints, maybe with a restriction so it cannot go larger than a certain number. Thanks :)

RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by mattumanutd on 05-19-2008 at 08:51 PM

lol sorry missed your post by misatake :)

RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by prashker on 05-19-2008 at 09:19 PM

Just installed it.

I like it :)

RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by Chris4 on 08-07-2008 at 11:20 AM

You should submit it to the Scripts database, it's a good script!

RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by Basilis on 08-07-2008 at 06:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
You should submit it to the Scripts database, it's a good script!
(Y) I agree with Chris4. This is a nice and useful script and should definitely be added to the database. :)
RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by razor5070 on 08-09-2008 at 04:44 AM

You sir have made my day.

This is exactly what i have been looking and waiting for.... for a long time

RE: [Release] URL Preview 1.0.1 by High Speed Chaser on 08-09-2008 at 01:25 PM

Thanks Mynetx for a wonderful script.

I love it and it should be published.