Shoutbox

Cant decide what phone upgrade to get - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Cant decide what phone upgrade to get (/showthread.php?tid=83664)

Cant decide what phone upgrade to get by Jimbo on 05-11-2008 at 04:16 PM

Well my upgrade it due and im torn between the Samsung F490, the Sony Ericsson K850i and the Nokia N95 8GB. Ive heard the best camera of the 3 is the k850i, but i was wondering what you guys thought. Im also open to any other suggestions, my only spec that i have to have is a 5MP camera:)

RE: Cant decide what phone upgrade to get by Quantum on 05-11-2008 at 05:02 PM

k850i.

I have it (had it for 3 weeks) and i love it.

The N95 Takes up to 5 seconds to take 1 picture & the review on the gadget show was not very good.

RE: Cant decide what phone upgrade to get by CookieRevised on 05-11-2008 at 05:56 PM

comparison of the 5MP cameras between Sony Ericsson K850i and Samsung G600 (in dutch):

http://www.mobilecowboys.be/toestellen/5831
first two photos = without flash
second two = with flash
third two = colors
fourth set =  in the dark

quote:
Samsung G600 makes clearly better photos in the dark, but the colors of the Sony Ericsson K850i seems to be a bit more fresh.

maybe of some interest:
http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/how-to-use-a-camera-phone/

RE: Cant decide what phone upgrade to get by Basilis on 05-11-2008 at 06:05 PM

I would say K850i. I think Sony Ericsson mobile phones have better quality. They have a good camera and big space for saving MP3s and other stuff.

RE: Cant decide what phone upgrade to get by Nathan on 05-11-2008 at 06:14 PM

sony ericsson rock, if I didn't have my HTC ppc then I would be back to my Sony ericssons :P

When I get rid of my HTC i want the X1 :D

RE: Cant decide what phone upgrade to get by Matt-in on 05-17-2008 at 05:31 AM

I wouldnt even think about Sony. Go Buy N95 8gb. Much Much Better. Nokia is so advanced and high tech in everything they do such as pc suite's firmware upgrades as well as the phone's design and everything. N95 is the best although N96 will be coming up just to let you know.  The camera quality for N95 is perfect not sure about sony tho but with N95 you just dont get just camera...WiFi, GPS, The movement sensor ( accelration ) Youtube N95 8gb and take a look how awesome it is ;) Like the functions. I would say Nokia for ever ;)

RE: Cant decide what phone upgrade to get by mattisdada on 05-17-2008 at 05:41 AM

We dont need fan-boyism like posts :)

And Sony Ericson phones look great often on paper, and function preety good MOST of the time. But they have a tendency to freeze and crash alot. Its a bit of a nucience. Used to have a Sony Ericson .... T80i i think it was. It was a cheap mobile, but it was so frusterating to use i smashed it and bought a new one (Damn phones are durable :)) i got the Samsung C300. Basic phone yet again, but it was fast on its feet, small and had decent T9. So it was the perfect phone for me :)

If your really wanting a good phone, and willing to spend quite a bit, wait a little bit and get the HTC Diamond :) Its a good phone.

RE: Cant decide what phone upgrade to get by RebelSean on 05-17-2008 at 07:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
sony ericsson rock, if I didn't have my HTC ppc then I would be back to my Sony ericssons :P

When I get rid of my HTC i want the X1 :D

Whatever, I'll never buy another SE phone. See: Stupid SE Phones
RE: Cant decide what phone upgrade to get by andrewdodd13 on 05-17-2008 at 08:33 AM

I would wait at the moment. Most of the top end phones are about to be replaced (at least I know this for Nokia and SE).

The N96 is going to replace the N95 and will have DVB-T [Freeview] TV, whereas SE have finally learned to spell and are replacing the K850i with the C902i [Although, it doesn't seem like much of an upgrade - the camera is still 5MP - but if it comes out in any colour other than Red it'd look pretty neat].

My dad has a Samsung, I've never really liked them all that much. Also the F490 is pretty much just a major rip-off of the LG Viewty. :)
I have seen the N95, and it's quite bulky but then it does have a lot of features under the hood.
I've got a K850i, they seem to have fixed the problem with the buttons sticking or whatever (although this problem never happened to me with my previous SE phones), but the firmware for them is still slightly buggy.

RE: Cant decide what phone upgrade to get by Matt-in on 05-17-2008 at 10:49 PM

Well I would say Technology doesnt stop. So Just get the one you like But personally I would suggest N95 8gb :). Today N95 Tomorrow N96 :) And what next. :)

RE: Cant decide what phone upgrade to get by markee on 05-17-2008 at 11:52 PM

Well to add my two cents, I like SE for their basic firmware. Everything is where you expect it to be and it acts how you expect a phone to act, it is very intuitive.  I have tried using new Nokias and it didnt feel easy to use for me.  Personally I love my 910i.

If I were to not buy an SE phone, it would then be a Nokia (or something like HTC or those elite brands)because they seem to be better phones to me.  The samsung, lg and whatever else you see just don't feel as if they are going to last imho, they feel cheap.

But again, this is only my opinion and I suggest you ask at your local store if you can try them all out, or at least feel them.  Then n95 is a brick :P

RE: Cant decide what phone upgrade to get by Chris4 on 05-18-2008 at 12:16 AM

The Samsung F490 is £389.99 and the SE K850i is £249.99.

If I had the choice, I usually go for the most expensive.

Keep changing my mind what I would go for. I've never had a touchscreen so maybe I'd go for the Samsung. I also like the Samsung brand more then any other. My past two phones have been Sony Ericsson but I don't think my next will be. They haven't been great for me. I say get the Samsung F490, but you're choice.

As for the Nokia N95, I thought it was good by what I'd heard, but reviews say differently. Up to you if you like it or not.