Shoutbox

Problems with Webcam and audio - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Problems with Webcam and audio (/showthread.php?tid=83674)

Problems with Webcam and audio by MeEtc on 05-11-2008 at 09:22 PM

Every once in a while (1-2 months) WLM refuses to start correctly for me. I get an entry in task manager saying its running, but other than that, nothing happens. To fix this, I have found by trial and error that deleting the reg keys in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSN Messenger (but not sub-keys) allows WLM to start again.

Now, after I do this, I am unable to send/receive webcam nor voiceclips. WLM will lock up, and I need to end task through task manager. The same thing will happen even if I'm logged in as another Live account, not logged in at all (running the Audio/Video setup wizard through the tools menu before signing in) or even doing any of this through another Windows user account.

Now, in the past, it has just randomly started working again after some time (few days to a few weeks), and I have no idea what has fixed it.

What I have done so far:
Complete clean re-install of WLM
Repair install of WLM
Running with no addons (Plus and StuffPlug)
New user account in Windows
New user account in WLM

None of these has worked so far

RE: Problems with Webcam and audio by Chris4 on 05-11-2008 at 09:35 PM

If it's a registry problem I usually use CCleaner to do the job.

Uninstall WLM, restart computer, use CCleaner to repair the registry (keep running it until there are 0 entries), then install WLM.

RE: Problems with Webcam and audio by MeEtc on 05-11-2008 at 09:39 PM

Umm, i prefer NOT to mess around with registry cleaners, if at all possible..

RE: Problems with Webcam and audio by Chris4 on 05-11-2008 at 09:42 PM

I didn't like registry cleaners at first too. I didn't like the mess with them at all, but CCleaner has been good so far. You can select which registry values to delete, it doesn't do it automatically.

Anyway, just what I would do, sorry.

RE: Problems with Webcam and audio by CookieRevised on 05-11-2008 at 09:48 PM

Start by pinpointing what exact registry value you should delete to make it work again. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger contains a lot of values, so....

Once you figured that out, maybe report it......

RE: Problems with Webcam and audio by MeEtc on 05-11-2008 at 10:02 PM

Well, i ran CCleaner anyway, and it didn't change anything. I ran it while WLM was uninstalled.

Cookie: If and when the not starting problem happens again, I'll try to find which key in particular is causing it