Shoutbox

Should I Get Another New Job? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Should I Get Another New Job? (/showthread.php?tid=83696)

Should I Get Another New Job? by Spunky on 05-13-2008 at 11:40 AM

I've been offered a job at my local council, for an extra £3000 a year in Tech Support.

quote:
Originally posted by Earlier Conversation on WLM
well, ive got friends there and they put in trust in me when they gave me the job and it seems as if im deserting. but the council is a good job and in what im interested in. I came back from work over an hour late last night (got home at 11pm), exhausted because I had to stay and run around closing windows everyone had left open... Plus it's a lot of responsibility locking up and alarming etc

So I'm kinda torn as what to do. So I wanna know what everyone else would do. My GF also works at the council though in the canteen so it could be good that we both work for the same company. (It's her friend that has offered me the job, so it is 100% ready for me if I want it)
RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by Dempsey on 05-13-2008 at 11:59 AM

Do you enjoy your current job or is it just you feel bad for going?

Which is closer?

Payrise is obviously a bonus, are the hours any different?

RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by Spunky on 05-13-2008 at 12:04 PM

hours would be more stable (9-5 rather than 6am-2pm or 2pm-10pm shifts)

I like the job and the friends I've made, but this might be my one shot into the career I've wanted for quite some time. I would feel bad for going, but I might resent the job if I don't go.

Where I work now is between 2 sites, both a 5 minute walk. The council job is about an extra minute or two from the one site, so thats not really an issue.

RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by mattisdada on 05-13-2008 at 12:11 PM

I think you should go for this new job. It would defintly be a step in the right direction for you. You mightnt be working with the same people you like anymore. But it would be great experince, and the extra cash would be quite benefical.

Oh and hey, you could also be working with your GF :P. Which will probably be a good thing.

RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by vaccination on 05-13-2008 at 12:12 PM

I would take the new one.

RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by Aardvark on 05-13-2008 at 12:21 PM

New job definately. You make friends in primary and high school too, but you don't follow them around for the rest of your life (well you can, but statistically that doesn't happen much). And besides, what's stopping you from keeping in touch with your friends even if you did change jobs? Heck, you could get a job in a completely different country - friends will be friends. :)

RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by mattisdada on 05-13-2008 at 12:54 PM

Yes, friends will be friends, but you wont be able to interact with them the same as you could.

And i can understand where his coming from, leaving jobs is hard (If you like them), and going into a new "alien" enviroment sorta sucks at first. But after you get used to it, its all good. And in the long run i belive he would benefit more :). Plus meeting new people is always awesome :D.

RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by Phillip on 05-13-2008 at 01:10 PM

I'll make it easier for you.. If you don't take the new job I will kill you.

RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by aNILEator on 05-13-2008 at 01:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
I'll make it easier for you.. If you don't take the new job I will kill you.

That's pretty much a reason to take it.

Stable hours, +£3k, More CV fodder (and council stuff is pretty good to mention, because it's like managing shit :P) :P

Your GF shouldn't really come into it, as it will most likely get grating that you both see each other all the time, especially if you have a fall out.

But whatever, I'm job hunting at the moment, Might edit my CV yet again to mention some other projects/positions I've filled.
RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by foaly on 05-13-2008 at 02:34 PM

If it looks like deserting consider this:
Do you think they wanted you to work there for the rest of your live?
You're 19 they'll understand...

RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by Basilis on 05-13-2008 at 03:00 PM

As long as you are in a place which is close to what you are interested in, I believe you should stay at the council. Although, if I were you, I would go to the place where I had more friends.

RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by aNILEator on 05-13-2008 at 04:30 PM

I just spent my afternoon applying for jobs around Hanley :D all out of CV's now, best print off some more. Some of the managers sounded interested :D

RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by Quantum on 05-13-2008 at 04:47 PM

Well whatever you like doing is what you should do. If you like them both go for the council one :P

I would:P

RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by Vazza on 05-13-2008 at 06:55 PM

Personally, if you're not happy in the job your doing just now, then maybe the council job is for you if you're interested in. Don't let the GF come into it though...working with a loved one is....difficult.

God, I have this to go through next year....:s

Huggles
Vhari x

RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by prashker on 05-13-2008 at 09:19 PM

Pathetic. :p

Be a man, work both (y)

RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by Lou on 05-13-2008 at 10:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
As long as you are in a place which is close to what you are interested in, I believe you should stay at the council. Although, if I were you, I would go to the place where I had more friends.
You are 14, you probably don't have a job, or had one long enough, to understand this. Working with friends isn't always the best choice, nor is going where a girlfriend is. Both can cause serious problems.

Personally, I'd go for the new job, because it's the career you want, and the hours are much more stable. On top of this, you get paid more, and it's what you wanted to do originally.
RE: RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by mattisdada on 05-14-2008 at 06:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Pathetic. :p

Be a man, work both (y)
Quite obviously, youve never had two jobs :).

Ive had two cassuall jobs (so my shifts change constantly). For two months every saturday i did this. "9AM-5" then "5:30-2AM". That was absoult hell, then i had to work at 9-4 on the sunday. And i also worked plenty through out the week (the 9-5 and 9-4 one was weekend only).

trust me, two jobs is hell. And his times clash with his two jobs :P So he cant.

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis

Very obviously, you have never had a job :P
RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by Aeryn on 05-14-2008 at 09:20 AM

You ask for some random forum people's advice on what you should do with your life. That is not a good idea. Decide for yourself, it's your life, not ours.

All I can say is that while considering the job opportunities, don't choose according to where your friends or girlfriend are. It might seem convenient, but if the presence of friends/gf has been a big factor in your choices and then their presence loses their value (e.g., don't like to hang out with these friends anymore, or break up with your gf), then you'll be left feeling angry, disappointed and regretful over what could have been if you had chosen more wisely.

RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by mattisdada on 05-14-2008 at 09:36 AM

Well for things that you cant decide, getting people to give out there opinon might spark an idea in your head.

RE: RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by Aeryn on 05-14-2008 at 09:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
Well for things that you cant decide, getting people to give out there opinon might spark an idea in your head.

Hmm, true.
RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by mattisdada on 05-14-2008 at 10:49 AM

:)

Ive done it before, it does help. But it should only be used when you want another opinion just to get you thinking. You shouldnt follow someones excact advice for life from forums. Just use them as an idea machine.

RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by saralk on 05-14-2008 at 11:36 AM

Where do you currently work? If it's a relatively unskilled job (like working in a warehouse or a shop) then you're easily replacable, so I wouldn't feel too guilty about leaving.

RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by mattisdada on 05-14-2008 at 11:51 AM

He currently works at a college. I dont know what he does.

RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by Spunky on 05-14-2008 at 12:05 PM

I'm a caretaker-ish person, but we do a HELL of a lot more.

I was talking to co-workers and my boss and they all said they'd go for another job if it paid some more money (one even said even if it didn't pay any more :p). Everyone seems to think it is a good idea.

My GF has nothing to do with my decision really, just mentioned she worked there too as she is responsible for me being offered the job

This post wasn't for me to follow people's responses by the letter, but to get a general idea of what other people think. I think I'm quite smart, but just occasionally make the wrong decision.

RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by mattisdada on 05-14-2008 at 12:39 PM

Its 16 vs 1. I think its a clear cut on what to do :). (Side note: Were all evil people on this forum and try and make people do the wrong thing so we can laugh at them.... Just a FYI) :)

RE: RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by FrozenDaggers on 05-15-2008 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
I just spent my afternoon applying for jobs around Hanley :D all out of CV's now, best print off some more. Some of the managers sounded interested :D

wtf man, you go to my Uni. lol.

& take the new job Shane. you know it makes sense.
RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by Spunky on 05-15-2008 at 09:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FrozenDaggers
quote:

& take the new job Shane. you know it makes sense.

Well you made up my minde ;) (L) :p
RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by aNILEator on 05-16-2008 at 07:51 AM

quote:
Then poke me when I'm in the ember lounge or join Metal Society!!!!

I have a BBQ tonight at 7:00PM (Friday 16th) if anyone wants to come (69 Seaford Street, Stoke-on-Trent, ST4 2EU)
RE: Should I Get Another New Job? by Spunky on 05-16-2008 at 08:09 AM

quote:
quote:
Then poke me when I'm in the ember lounge or join Metal Society!!!!

I have a BBQ tonight at 7:00PM (Friday 16th) if anyone wants to come (69 Seaford Street, Stoke-on-Trent, ST4 2EU)

I'd come, but it's too short notice :(