Shoutbox

Need Help With Messenger Plus - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Need Help With Messenger Plus (/showthread.php?tid=83798)

Need Help With Messenger Plus by darkriderz412 on 05-18-2008 at 05:51 PM

Hey I moved my MSN Messenger to my D: Drive and tried installing messenger plus but it said it couldnt find msn messenger. Is there a way to get it to work? *-)

I tried moving MSN Messenger back to the C: Drive and installing it then copying all the files back into the D: Drive including all of the messenger plus files, but it still dont work.

I have my 1 hard drive Split up into 2 partitions, and I gave my C: Drive Just enough room for the Operating System And the updates. There is no room on the C: Drive for MSN Messenger or messenger Plus.

( MSN Messenger works, Just Not Messenger Plus )

RE: Need Help With Messenger Plus by Chris4 on 05-18-2008 at 06:35 PM

It's most probably because you manually moved the files for Messenger, which you shouldn't do.

I'd recommend uninstalling them both from Add/Remove Programs. Then download and install Messenger to your D: drive, then do the same for Plus!.

I presume you're using the old Messenger Plus! with an old version of MSN Messenger? I'd recommend upgrading to Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus! Live, but it's up to you.

RE: RE: Need Help With Messenger Plus by darkriderz412 on 05-19-2008 at 08:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
It's most probably because you manually moved the files for Messenger, which you shouldn't do.

I'd recommend uninstalling them both from Add/Remove Programs. Then download and install Messenger to your D: drive, then do the same for Plus!.

I presume you're using the old Messenger Plus! with an old version of MSN Messenger? I'd recommend upgrading to Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus! Live, but it's up to you.

No MSN Messenger wont allow me to install it on a different drive, it doesnt even ask me what drive i would like to place it.
RE: Need Help With Messenger Plus by ahmetgns on 05-24-2008 at 08:31 AM

Edit:

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou in RE: where does messenger plus check to see messenger live is installed?
You'll need to simulate the regitry entries of WLM for Plus! to detect it properly, like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Live\Messenger

My original post before finding Patchou's post:

I have an idea, please try it.

Open your Registry Editor (Start>Run>type regedit and browse for
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Live\Messenger\InstallationDirectory for Windows Live Messenger (afaik for its versions above 8.1) or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\(Find the similar related item on your own, I don't have this in my computer currently)
and set its value to where you moved your Messenger folder to. I think Messenger Plus! checks these registry keys before starting installing itself, but I'm not sure.

If this doesn't work, then move your Messenger back to its original location, install MsgPlus! and move it again. Please reply here again if the first or second method worked.