Shoutbox

Contact list not loading & convo - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Contact list not loading & convo (/showthread.php?tid=83803)

Contact list not loading & convo by [K.m] on 05-18-2008 at 09:03 PM

Hey

I was just wondering every time i log in on WLM it dosent load my contact list up fully. I sign in then out again numerous times and every time i do the amount of people online reduces or increases.Then after canceling it of my tool bar and several attempts of signing in and out it finally works.Ive tried un-installing it of my computer no luck..I'm just wondering is it my computer or the programe.Please get back to me ASAP. Also the things which i write or my freinds they dont register and my freinds cant see half of the things i type..Sum1 help please :):)

RE: Contact list not loading! by MeEtc on 05-18-2008 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
try deleting your contacts cache
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Remove all the cache and storage directories used by Messenger (if they still exist):

C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\
C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Call\
C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Messenger\
C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\
C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\
C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Contacts\
C:\Windows\Temp\MessengerCache\
The contacts cache is the one in bold, but it won't hurt to remove the other directories as well.

RE: Contact list not loading & convo by [K.m] on 05-18-2008 at 09:23 PM

urrm sorry but im abit of a newbie..Can you tell me wat u just pasted and how to get there :$

RE: Contact list not loading & convo by MeEtc on 05-18-2008 at 09:25 PM

Find the folder named Contacts in the abovementioned location (the one in bold) and delete the whole folder. That location is only for in Windows XP. If you have Vista, I'm not sure what the equivalent folder location is.

RE: Contact list not loading & convo by blessedguy on 05-18-2008 at 09:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by [K.m]
urrm sorry but im abit of a newbie..Can you tell me wat u just pasted :$
To delete the files that have your contact's temporary info, maybe they're broken and are bugging your WLM contact list
RE: Contact list not loading & convo by joey on 05-18-2008 at 09:26 PM

go to those addresses above in explorer, and just follow the instructions, including "deleting your contact cache folder."

RE: Contact list not loading & convo by [K.m] on 05-18-2008 at 09:28 PM

Thanks guuys are u sure if i delete this file nothing will happen..i dont want my MSN crashing xD

RE: Contact list not loading & convo by joey on 05-18-2008 at 09:30 PM

cookierevised said to do it, so id say its safe yes. =p

RE: Contact list not loading & convo by blessedguy on 05-18-2008 at 09:31 PM

for vista:

C:\Users\Your username\Contacts\your live id  <<contacts cache

for XP:

Deleting that folder won't make nothing crash... just will delete al your contacts information, that will be syched again when you log in.

RE: Contact list not loading & convo by [K.m] on 05-19-2008 at 03:25 PM

Ok thanks for this guy but everytime i type this up on "my cmputer" it always says error:S

RE: Contact list not loading & convo by blessedguy on 05-19-2008 at 04:34 PM

quote:
Ok thanks for this guy but everytime i type this up on "my cmputer" it always says error:S
what time you type exactly what?
RE: RE: Contact list not loading & convo by [K.m] on 05-22-2008 at 04:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
for vista:

C:\Users\Your username\Contacts\your live id  <<contacts cache

for XP:

Deleting that folder won't make nothing crash... just will delete al your contacts information, that will be syched again when you log in.

What am i ment to wrie in the bold bits...my user name on windows live messneger :S...
RE: Contact list not loading & convo by CookieRevised on 05-22-2008 at 07:32 PM

You don't need to type anything, you need to browse to those folders using Windows Explorer.

RE: Contact list not loading & convo by [K.m] on 05-22-2008 at 08:47 PM

So i just need to copy and pate sumfing into windows explorer..Can someone tell me what to copy and paste:$...Im new to this

RE: Contact list not loading & convo by blessedguy on 05-22-2008 at 08:52 PM

quote:
for vista:

C:\Users\your_username\Contacts\your live id  <<contacts cache

for XP:

Where there is "your_username", you use the Name of your acconunt, for example, if your account is named John, your user name is John. Where there is "your live id" you type the mail you useto loginto messenger
RE: RE: Contact list not loading & convo by [K.m] on 05-22-2008 at 08:57 PM

quote:
quote:
for vista:

C:\Users\your_username\Contacts\your live id  <<contacts cache

for XP:

Where there is "your_username", you use the Name of your acconunt, for example, if your account is named John, your user name is John. Where there is "your live id" you type the mail you useto loginto messenger

Thats were i got confused..i thought u had to type in the account u log into for your COMPUTER.....basically i dont know what username to put in.....shall i put my msn username in?

RE: Contact list not loading & convo by blessedguy on 05-22-2008 at 09:47 PM

quote:
Thats were i got confused..i thought u had to type in the account u log into for your COMPUTER.....basically i dont know what username to put in.....shall i put my msn username in?
the username is the acount you use to log in to your PC, and your live id is the one that you use o log in messenger.
Why don't you use Windows Explorer? It'll be easy to find