Shoutbox

More than one user at the same time?? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: More than one user at the same time?? (/showthread.php?tid=83888)

More than one user at the same time?? by lk66 on 05-23-2008 at 11:07 AM

Is it possible for more than one person to sign in to the same MSN Messenger account 'at the same time'?

The reason I ask: my MSN connection has recently occasionally started saying 'you have signed out' when I haven't. I know my internet connection is fine.

A friend who also uses MSN has told me that this can occur when 'someone else' signs in (or tries to sign in) to my Messenger a/c when I'm already signed into it.

If this is the case, is there a way for me to find out 'who' is also trying to sign in to my a/c?

Soz for the silly Q - I'm new to all this! Thanks

RE: More than one user at the same time?? by andrey on 05-23-2008 at 11:40 AM

Only one person can be signed in on the same Windows Live account at the same time. Thus, when someone else signs into your account while you are online, you'll get signed out and see a toast message saying "You have signed in to Messenger on another computer. Click here to sign in again."

Occasional disconnects can happen, either due to your internet connection or Messenger's servers.
But when you suspect that someone else is signing in to your account, you should change your password just to be on the safe side.

RE: More than one user at the same time?? by lk66 on 05-23-2008 at 11:49 AM

Thanks for the speedy reply :D

RE: More than one user at the same time?? by Mike on 05-23-2008 at 01:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lk66
Is it possible for more than one person to sign in to the same MSN Messenger account 'at the same time'?
Yes, as long as both clients are using version 9, which isn't available yet.
RE: More than one user at the same time?? by Spunky on 05-23-2008 at 02:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:

So, no then... just to clarify
RE: More than one user at the same time?? by RaceProUK on 05-23-2008 at 07:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
quote:
quote:
So, no then... just to clarify
Unless you're an official WLM9 tester.

But yeah, most people can't get it.
RE: RE: More than one user at the same time?? by lk66 on 05-23-2008 at 08:55 PM

quote:
quote:

Just out of curiosity - I'm on a Mac, using v6.0.3... I know v7 is available now...

Is v7 for Mac the same as v9 for Windows? Or is the Mac version a few steps behind?
RE: More than one user at the same time?? by Lou on 05-23-2008 at 09:40 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Just out of curiosity - I'm on a Mac, using v6.0.3... I know v7 is available now...

Is v7 for Mac the same as v9 for Windows? Or is the Mac version a few steps behind?
The mac version is quite a few steps behind, so this functionality isn't included in it.
RE: More than one user at the same time?? by CookieRevised on 05-24-2008 at 03:38 AM

Note that the Mac version numbering is quite different than what is used on Windows. So that on its own is no indication at all as how far behind or upfront they are compared to the Windows version. You simply can't compared them by using version numbers.

Moreover, the Mac version is made completely independant from the Windows version. They use the same protocol (and roughly the same layout and error messages for consistancy) and it both comes from MS, but that's it.

But yeah, in general, the Mac version is a few steps behind the Windows version. But that does not automatically mean they wont implement MPOP in the next version (version 8 or something, dunno), nor does it mean they will though...

MPOP (Multiple Points Of Presence) is the feature which allows you to sign in on different computers (aka locations) with the same account, at the same time.

------------

Anyways, as long as you do not have a toast saying "You have signed in to Messenger on another computer. Click here to sign in again." like andrey said, nobody is signing in on a different computer into your account. Notice how the message is very different from a simple "You have signed out" message! So unless you have a toast popping up with that message ("you have signed in on another computer"), you don't have anything to worry about (security wise).