Shoutbox

Please help with cleaning out my processes - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Please help with cleaning out my processes (/showthread.php?tid=83929)

Please help with cleaning out my processes by Exca on 05-25-2008 at 11:40 AM

Please help me clean out this stuff. My PC is overloaded I guess...
But I don't know what to remove and what not, I want to keep using my PC as now... thanks

[Image: processes.png]

RE: Please help with cleaning out my processes by Basilis on 05-25-2008 at 12:02 PM

suggest you remove all the programs that you rarely use. They may be good programs but if you don't use hem, what is the point in keeping them. I did that for my PC

RE: Please help with cleaning out my processes by Exca on 05-25-2008 at 12:06 PM

But, what is "svchost" and stuff? many things I don't know, I only let AVG and messenger start up...

RE: RE: Please help with cleaning out my processes by Jarrod on 05-25-2008 at 12:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Exca
But, what is "svchost" and stuff? many things I don't know, I only let AVG and messenger start up...
end it & find out;)
it's a windows process won't achieve much by ending it
RE: Please help with cleaning out my processes by andrewdodd13 on 05-25-2008 at 12:32 PM

svchost is the Windows Service Host - it's used to "host" any running services you may be using. I wouldn't recommend ending it directly, use services.msc to disable unneeded services.

(You can also use Sysinternals [now owned by Microsoft] Process Explorer to see which services are running under which process).

Most of those are launcehd at startup and are pretty useless, such as jusched.exe which is the Java Update Scheduler, acrotray which must be used for Adobe Acrobat, etc.

You'll need to use msconfig or similar to temporarily disable certain startup tasks and see what breaks. It's unlikely to get you into a situation where the PC won't boot doing this - you can't disable necessary MS stuff from it. [Unless you play with boot.ini, don't do that]

RE: Please help with cleaning out my processes by mattisdada on 05-25-2008 at 12:54 PM

Go into Run> type 'msconfig'>click startup. Review all of them. Then click Services and review all them.

RE: Please help with cleaning out my processes by ShawnZ on 05-25-2008 at 12:55 PM

or you could just, you know, leave it be...

the number of running processes really has nothing to do with anything

RE: Please help with cleaning out my processes by Exca on 05-25-2008 at 02:18 PM

Well I went in msconfig and clicked about everything except windows out :P

I'm left with 46 processes now instead of 76...
My computer goes much faster now...

RE: Please help with cleaning out my processes by vaccination on 05-25-2008 at 05:53 PM

If you don't know what a process is, google it, then you can decide if you need it or not