Shoutbox

Drive Image Solutions - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Drive Image Solutions (/showthread.php?tid=83937)

Drive Image Solutions by ipab on 05-25-2008 at 10:43 PM

I'm writing this since I was wondering if anyone knew of any programs that are able to do essentially what I can do with OEM restore discs. I'd love to see something one these lines so that I don't have to start from scratch if my computer screws up and I have to replace a HDD. I would like to just pop in the discs and recover to a certain state.

If I don't make sense, let me know.

RE: Drive Image Solutions by Mike on 05-25-2008 at 10:46 PM

Norton Ghost

RE: Drive Image Solutions by ipab on 05-26-2008 at 05:38 AM

I was thinking something less intrusive.

Have you heard of something called PC-Angel?

I was thinking something along those lines.

RE: Drive Image Solutions by Jarrod on 05-26-2008 at 06:49 AM

Active @ image manager:)

RE: Drive Image Solutions by mattisdada on 05-26-2008 at 07:01 AM

Acronis True Image.

RE: RE: Drive Image Solutions by andrewdodd13 on 05-26-2008 at 08:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
Acronis True Image.
Seconded.

PC-Angel looks slightly complicated - it seems you have to create a hidden backup partition first, which would entail resizing your current partition.

All you have to do with True Image is select where you want to save the file - it can even burn straight to CDs and DVDs, span archives, and has a very high compression ratio.
RE: Drive Image Solutions by ipab on 05-26-2008 at 02:58 PM

I didn't realise True Image Home, can burn to cds/dvds... and I've been using it for over a year and a half now :S...

I just use it to image drives though, not as bootable media to rescue to factory state.

Can any of you show me how :S... because I've looked after you guys said so, and all I can see in an option to save as a .tib. Not as a disc that I can just pop in and re-image the drive in case of failure.

RE: Drive Image Solutions by andrewdodd13 on 05-26-2008 at 04:46 PM

You have to make a "Rescue CD". This is probably in the start menu with TI, unless you chose not to install it with TI, in which case you'll need to go back and install it.

Then you simply load the Rescue CD at PC boot, which will basically give you TI without Windows. You then choose the image you want to restore (I'm fairly sure you can eject the rescue CD at this point) and restore it.

RE: Drive Image Solutions by kao on 05-27-2008 at 05:34 AM

PING, http://ping.windowsdream.com/

RE: Drive Image Solutions by ipab on 05-27-2008 at 06:25 AM

oddly enough, I just ran into that website by chance today :)... will try it out on a test machine at work tomorrow or something... if you guys can think of anymore I'd be glad to know.

Btw ping seems to be meant for windows xp, is there a vista alternative for it :S?

RE: Drive Image Solutions by Menthix on 05-27-2008 at 07:57 AM

Ghost really isn't intrusive when you just use the DOS version from a bootable CD/floppy. The whole software package for Windows in unnecessary, you will need to create images ouside your OS anyway... as long as it supports NTFS any old goht verson will do :).

RE: Drive Image Solutions by mattisdada on 05-27-2008 at 08:43 AM

Ghost sucks.

RE: RE: Drive Image Solutions by andrewdodd13 on 05-27-2008 at 09:00 AM

quote:
Ghost sucks.
Would you stop with the unexplained claims. :\

Ghost is actually a fairly decent piece of kit, I know a lot of system admins that use it for their basic images that they mirror across all their computers.
RE: Drive Image Solutions by mattisdada on 05-28-2008 at 06:51 AM

Ghost is not a very good peice of software for the following reasons:

1. Its relitvely slow
2. Has horriable compression
3. Most other imaging products have a far more powerfull network features and offer encryption (Cant remember if Ghost does that, correct me if im wrong)

RE: RE: Drive Image Solutions by andrewdodd13 on 05-28-2008 at 09:17 AM

quote:
1. Its relitvely slow
Wrong. Every review I've read put their performance on roughly the same level, and that's true in my experience also.

quote:
2. Has horriable compression
I would hardly call a 10-15% larger file than True Image "horrible".

quote:

3. Most other imaging products have a far more powerfull network features...

Irrelevant to the question.

quote:
Originally posted by mattisadada
and offer encryption (Cant remember if Ghost does that, correct me if im wrong)
You are wrong. :P

Still, True Image is the way to go. Just don't make things up to make it look better.