Shoutbox

Read me (PC upgrade help) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Read me (PC upgrade help) (/showthread.php?tid=83955)

Read me (PC upgrade help) by [MR] on 05-26-2008 at 09:10 PM

Hello =),

I just got enough money, i think, to purchase a new mobo and processor for my other old computer that id like to upgrade.  I'm not too sure about what exactly im looking for, so im asking for your help for me to find one of each thats under like 90$ each, or you know.  I have about 170$.  I know there's some cheaper ones out there, i was thinking about going to frys and buying them but i have no idea what im looking for.  Pretty much would just play wow on it, and i can play wow on my old computer's mobo right now so im sure any mobo is better... yah and ill have to figure out what ram id hae to get for it too, also have giftcards to best buy for that shiz tho.

anyway thanks if u find me one =)

RE: Read me by andrewdodd13 on 05-26-2008 at 11:07 PM

I dunno what prices are like on your side of the pond, but for £45 [that's the equivalent :p] I'd be looking at an E2200 Intel Pentium Dual Core and either an MSI or ASUS motherboard to go with it.

You're almost definitely going to need DDR2 RAM for any budget motherboard at this point in time.

RE: Read me (PC upgrade help) by [MR] on 05-31-2008 at 01:44 PM

Okay, last question.  I need to buy an IDE controller card for my hard drive since that would be a lot cheaper than buying a new hard drive for sata.  I should be able to boot off my hard drive then with the controller card?