Shoutbox

Being allowed to rate on reputation - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Being allowed to rate on reputation (/showthread.php?tid=83978)

Being allowed to rate on reputation by androo123 on 05-27-2008 at 10:03 PM

I just found out that to rate someone's reputation, you need at least 100+ votes. I thought that was thrash because there are people, who for 100 votes will write this as a reply:
:)

So I was a bit dissapointed. I should have the right to vote for a person's reputation, just because you made 100+ posts, it doesn't mean I don't have the right to vote, writing 100+ posts doesn't determine if I'm able or not to use my common sense and vote good, bad or neutral on a person's reputation.

VOTE AND REPLY AT THE BOTTOM

RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by Basilis on 05-27-2008 at 10:12 PM

If you have less than 100 posts, it "probably" means you are not here long enough to know members and so to rate them. In addition to that, anyone could go create an account and rate himself positive. And if someone tries to get to 100 to fast, he will be spotted by the other members and the moderators

RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by androo123 on 05-27-2008 at 10:19 PM

Well I can tell by common sense who is rude, who is disruptive etc..., and I don't have a hundred votes (THIS IS MY TENTH POST).

There are people that have practically nothing written, with just a quote of the other person's profile. Just to make it seem longer. For example

If you have less than 100 posts, it "probably" means you are not here long enough to know members and so to rate them. In addition to that, anyone could go create an account and rate himself positive. And if someone tries to get to 100 to fast, he will be spotted by the other members and the moderators

:) :) :) Ya

''Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.''

RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by djdannyp on 05-27-2008 at 10:19 PM

The restriction is there for a reason.....100 is perhaps a bit low if anything, I certainly can't see it being changed to a lower number.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but I can tell you now that any campaign to get it lowered will be in vain

RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by Lou on 05-27-2008 at 10:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by androo123
will write this as a reply:
:)
There are length restrictions to avoid this.

You see something wrong? Pm an administrator or moderator.

THE REPUTATION SYSTEM WILL NOT BE MODIFIED OR REMOVED. Get used to it. This has been discussed so many times an entirely new community could be started just for that. Why don't you go do that, instead of wasting tids here?
RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by Dr4g0n on 05-27-2008 at 10:41 PM

The reputation system does not need to be changed at all, there is nothing wrong with it.

Besides, reputation votes are not important in my opinion.

RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by Willz on 05-28-2008 at 01:06 AM

I find it to be fine the way it is as people with less than 100 posts wouldn't know how people act in the community overall so a new person might just negative vote out of vengeance just for being flamed about a stupid thread or coming to a forum and expecting things to change because of their arrival.

This isn't even worth voting for because it's not going to change, move along citizens.

RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by blessedguy on 05-28-2008 at 01:30 AM

[almost] Everyone is right, the reputation system doesn't need to be modified.
And it won't be modified, as far as i know.

100 posts is a good number... a bit low if you ask me, but it is alright.
Also, reputation isn't that important... You know if a person is helpful or not just by browsing its latest posts.

RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by Val on 05-28-2008 at 02:06 AM

Hey, you're the same guy from the translation thread! I wonder who you want to rate negatively. Just because you got a little butt hurt from being proved wrong and exposing the fact that you are an idiot, doesn't mean we will change the reputation system for you.

RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by CookieRevised on 05-28-2008 at 09:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Hey, you're the same guy from the translation thread! I wonder who you want to rate negatively. Just because you got a little butt hurt from being proved wrong and exposing the fact that you are an idiot, doesn't mean we will change the reputation system for you.
though other people could vote in his place if he truely believes and can proof that someone was very rude to him....
RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by Volv on 05-28-2008 at 03:17 PM

I think it would be nice if you added the ability for new members to give reps if at any point they have had (for example) 5 net positive reps OR have made 100 posts.

Either way, voted 'No' :p

RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by saralk on 05-28-2008 at 03:33 PM

I think the main reason is that this stops me registering 100 new accounts, and giving myself 100 positive reps.

It would be trivial to do that with a bot, but by having to post 100 posts that wont get deleted/moved to T&T makes it a lot harder.

RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by Basilis on 05-28-2008 at 03:38 PM

We could have a judge man. For example, a new member that would like to vote, could ask the judge man to look at his case and judge if the other member should get the vote, either positive or negative.

RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by Felu on 05-28-2008 at 03:40 PM

Isn't it amazing to know that androo123 and john-t are the only people who voted Yes?

Krissy seriously needs to stop making new accounts....

RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by joey on 05-28-2008 at 03:45 PM

quote:

OH YA, AND I JUST NOTICED, I SIGNED UP AT THE SAME TIME AS YOU......HTH, YOU GOT 641 POSTS?

he spams posts a hell of a lot :P
i8 joined a year before him and he's way ahead of me
* joey runs.
RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by Chancer on 05-28-2008 at 04:15 PM

You need to have 100 posts because we expect that when someone reaches 100 posts he/she will be smart enough to use this feature wisely.

Otherwise the newbies would create a bad atmosphere here and the forum would crack like what happened in NY 1929 and the world would blow up.

RE: RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by Phillip on 05-28-2008 at 04:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
Isn't it amazing to know that androo123 and john-t are the only people who voted Yes?
I saw it to :P
RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by Felu on 05-28-2008 at 04:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
quote:
Originally posted by Felu
I saw it to :P
And now john-t, changed his vote to no... this is getting really interesting.
RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by Quantum on 05-28-2008 at 05:06 PM

I miss read the post. :P Sorry.

RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by Spunky on 05-28-2008 at 05:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
I think it would be nice if you added the ability for new members to give reps if at any point they have had (for example) 5 net positive reps OR have made 100 posts.

RE: RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by androo123 on 05-28-2008 at 07:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Val

Look, I respect the people who didn't allow me to become a translator, I'll wait some time, I didn't want to rate them, I wanted to rate this person who, in another thread a user was rude, and becaise of this user's additude, I wanted to rate the user.
RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by Quantum on 05-28-2008 at 07:45 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Val

Look, I respect the people who didn't allow me to become a translator, I'll wait some time, I didn't want to rate them, I wanted to rate this person who, in another thread a user was rude, and becaise of this user's additude, I wanted to rate the user.

Really, i have a feeling your making this up. What was the comment and post?

RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by joey on 05-28-2008 at 07:48 PM

look up you pleb. =/

oh, found it did you john-t? :dodgy:

RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by Quantum on 05-28-2008 at 07:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by icd*
look up you pleb. =/

oh, found it did you john-t? :dodgy:

Eh?

Look up?
RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by joey on 05-28-2008 at 07:55 PM

oh sorry, im making things up. had i known i owould have made a pdf screenshot.

RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by Quantum on 05-28-2008 at 07:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by icd*
oh sorry, im making things up. had i known i owould have made a pdf screenshot.
:S

I asked what the very rude comment was?
RE: RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by Aeryn on 05-28-2008 at 08:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Willz
I find it to be fine the way it is as people with less than 100 posts wouldn't know how people act in the community overall so a new person might just negative vote out of vengeance just for being flamed about a stupid thread or coming to a forum and expecting things to change because of their arrival.

This isn't even worth voting for because it's not going to change, move along citizens.

I just wanna say one thing. The post count does NOT equal to how observant and experienced the user is. Sure, a lot of the time it does, but a lot of the time it doesn't. There are people who have been around for ages, who are mature and who know most of the regulars here and yet have quite few posts. And at the same time some people just post more and have hundreds or even thousands of posts but they still remain amazingly ignorant about how these forums work and who these people here are. That's why I have personally always objected to this idea of linking the post count to experience. I don't really care if the 100 posts limit gets changed or not, I just hate seeing this misconception constantly coming up.
RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by andrewdodd13 on 05-28-2008 at 10:39 PM

I don't dig the rep system anyway.

If anything, simply a "Was this post helpful or not?" type thing for everyone to access.

But on a forum such as this, it wouldn't work - it's more a community rather than something like MSDN forums.

RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by Lou on 05-28-2008 at 10:46 PM

Why are we still discussing it? Wdz has made it clear in the past that nothing was going to change. There's no reason to change it, so leave it alone. It has been discussed way too many times. Nothing will come out of another discussion. NOTHING.

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=83998

RE: Being allowed to rate on reputation by blessedguy on 05-29-2008 at 12:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
Nothing will come out of another discussion. NOTHING.
In fact... according to the poll results...

quote:
Originally posted by poll

Yes, users with lower than 100 votes should be allowed to vote for a person's reputation >  vote
No, users with lower than 100 votes should not be allowed to vote for a person's repuation > 31votes

Nothing is gonna change.