Shoutbox

PS2 Disk Load Problems - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: PS2 Disk Load Problems (/showthread.php?tid=84035)

PS2 Disk Load Problems by andrewdodd13 on 05-31-2008 at 09:58 AM

I gave my little sister my old PS2 (it's the original sized one) since I got my 360 and have no where to plug it in anymore.

However it doesn't seem to like loading disks. If you turn it on, it'll go to the Browse menu (if you go in here, it shows the mem card but not the game, but has "Reading disc..."), but if you leave it like 2 or 3 minutes it'll eventually boot the disk.

Once you get in game there's no problems with reading whatsoever.

Anyone know what it's playing at?

RE: PS2 Disk Load Problems by Th3rmal on 05-31-2008 at 10:19 AM

maybe your cd lens is getting dirty/wrecked. Try cleaning the lens or buying a new one.

oh and if you are going to clean/change it yourself, be careful while opening the ps2 or taking the actual ps2 out of the case. I tried that and ended up snapping something. My ps2 now works as an excellent brick:P

RE: PS2 Disk Load Problems by Quantum on 05-31-2008 at 10:31 AM

Do you have a chipped PS2 and using "copies"?

RE: RE: PS2 Disk Load Problems by Phillip on 05-31-2008 at 11:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
Yes

Wasn't asking you..haha.
:notfunny:

My little brother had the same problem with his. We cleaned the lens and it was all good for another 2-3 months than it stopped working altogether.
RE: PS2 Disk Load Problems by vaccination on 05-31-2008 at 11:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip

My little brother had the same problem with his. We cleaned the lens and it was all good for another 2-3 months than it stopped working altogether.
Yeah, it's a common problem with PS2s. Best chance is giving lens a clean and it'll hold up for a while longer.
RE: PS2 Disk Load Problems by andrewdodd13 on 05-31-2008 at 12:35 PM

Bleh. I tried cleaning the lens, it done nothing.

My PS2 isn't mod-chipped. It's probably going to be cheaper/easier to buy a new slim-line than get a replacement lens in all truth.

RE: PS2 Disk Load Problems by Th3rmal on 05-31-2008 at 12:36 PM

Over here replacement lasers are like $60 where as the system is $180

RE: PS2 Disk Load Problems by andrewdodd13 on 05-31-2008 at 02:52 PM

As far as I can tell, the laser is £35 over here whereas I could get a PS2 Slim for £65. The extra >£30 is the fact that I really can't be bothered taking it apart again. :)

RE: PS2 Disk Load Problems by Voldemort on 05-31-2008 at 03:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
As far as I can tell, the laser is £35 over here whereas I could get a PS2 Slim for £65. The extra >£30 is the fact that I really can't be bothered taking it apart again. :)
Don't clean it, you might scratch the lens... clean it only until it has problems playing the actual games :p
RE: PS2 Disk Load Problems by Quantum on 05-31-2008 at 03:09 PM

quote:

I heard the slim's over heat alot because they don't have any fans. Could be a problem.
RE: PS2 Disk Load Problems by andrewdodd13 on 05-31-2008 at 09:24 PM

There was a slight problem in the first models, however the current version is actually a reduced-silicon version, and is more unlikely to suffer from these problems.

I used a lens cleaner CD, it made funny noises (as the cleaner head went over the plastic bits of the tray I guess) but everything seems to work now.

RE: PS2 Disk Load Problems by RaceProUK on 06-02-2008 at 06:29 PM

quote:
it made funny noises
It's possible the laser movement gears are wearing out. I had a similar problem: the worm gear used to actually move the laser was being stripped of its thread, and the drive made clicking noises as the drive gear slipped. I fixed it by using the world's smallest twice'folded piece of paper (increased pressure between the gears), but a few months later, it was as bad as ever.
I got a slimline not long after that.
RE: PS2 Disk Load Problems by user27089 on 06-02-2008 at 10:14 PM

I had the exact same problem, the ps2 that i bought didn't play many disks, there are some settings that you can change on the hud of the PS2, something to do with disk scanning; I can't really remember. But that worked quite a bit. Otherwise there is something you can do with opening up the PS2 and changing the angle that the disk tray reads at for DVDs and PS2 disks (it changes for each type).

RE: RE: PS2 Disk Load Problems by andrewdodd13 on 06-02-2008 at 10:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
quote:
it made funny noises
It's possible the laser movement gears are wearing out. I had a similar problem: the worm gear used to actually move the laser was being stripped of its thread, and the drive made clicking noises as the drive gear slipped. I fixed it by using the world's smallest twice'folded piece of paper (increased pressure between the gears), but a few months later, it was as bad as ever.
Nah it wasn't that. The cleaner brush was rubbing against the disk tray. :)
RE: PS2 Disk Load Problems by RaceProUK on 06-03-2008 at 08:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I had the exact same problem, the ps2 that i bought didn't play many disks, there are some settings that you can change on the hud of the PS2, something to do with disk scanning; I can't really remember. But that worked quite a bit. Otherwise there is something you can do with opening up the PS2 and changing the angle that the disk tray reads at for DVDs and PS2 disks (it changes for each type).
I thought the disc scan speed was for PS1 mode only?

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
quote:
it made funny noises
Nah it wasn't that. The cleaner brush was rubbing against the disk tray. :)
Wooyay! At least the mechanism works then.