Shoutbox

External HD caddy problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: External HD caddy problem (/showthread.php?tid=84244)

External HD caddy problem by Reaper on 06-10-2008 at 01:40 PM

My external hard drive has gone crazy on me. When I plug it into a USB port on ANY computer is shows the device is not recognised message. All of my USB ports work cos I can plaug other things in to it. I know there are a lot of answers by using google but none help as my problem is slightly different. I took the hard drive out and put it straight into my desktop (connecting it via IDE) and the computer recognised perfectly. Howver once its in the caddy the drive doesn't work. I tried using another hard drive inside the caddy and it still didn't work. This means it must be something to do with the caddy. What can I do to fix it? I want to avoid formatting buying new stuff unless its absolutely necessary.

RE: External HD caddy problem by Menthix on 06-10-2008 at 01:58 PM

Sounds like the caddy is broken.

Not much you can do, except from getting a new one (just the caddy) which you can use your old drive in.

RE: External HD caddy problem by Reaper on 06-10-2008 at 02:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Sounds like the caddy is broken.

Not much you can do, except from getting a new one (just the caddy) which you can use your old drive in.
Damn i was afraid of that. Is there absolutely nothing i can try to make it work?
RE: External HD caddy problem by mattisdada on 06-11-2008 at 06:04 AM

Yes, there is a possibility on why its not working.

Its a 2.5" HDD with power over USB correct?

Well if yours is anything like mine, then it requires a short lead, and alot of power. If you have a cheap chasis, the front usb ports ussually suck, and dont get enough power into the HDD for it to properly spin up, then you get some error messeages one screen.

So do this
1. Find the shortest USB lead you can get.
2. Plug it in the BACK of the computer not the front.

Hopefully that's all whats wrong.... if its not that... then your case has carked it :P.

RE: RE: External HD caddy problem by Reaper on 06-11-2008 at 12:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
Yes, there is a possibility on why its not working.

Its a 2.5" HDD with power over USB correct?

Well if yours is anything like mine, then it requires a short lead, and alot of power. If you have a cheap chasis, the front usb ports ussually suck, and dont get enough power into the HDD for it to properly spin up, then you get some error messeages one screen.

So do this
1. Find the shortest USB lead you can get.
2. Plug it in the BACK of the computer not the front.

Hopefully that's all whats wrong.... if its not that... then your case has carked it :P.
It's a 3.5" HDD and it has its own power supply.
I decided to buy a new case cos I couldn't be arsed fiddle with it
RE: External HD caddy problem by mattisdada on 06-11-2008 at 12:40 PM

Oh ok. Sorry to hear that you had to get a new one.