Shoutbox

Rogers acting fishy (scam?) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) (/showthread.php?tid=84256)

Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by Steven on 06-10-2008 at 08:40 PM

Rogers is seriously imposing their "60" gb  monthly bandwidth limit, and to me it seems like they are pushing some buttons.  On the 4th of june, all of my computers in the house had a popup in their internet browser alerting the user that we have passed 75% bandwidth limit of 60gb, which means we somehow used 45 gb in 4 days.

That is impossible, due to the fact that my parents dont download anything, i just downloaded several psn demos at most spending 5gbs, but according to rogers i have used up 45 gigabytes in 4 days, 1 of those days my family was out .

Okay, so we stopped downloading everything including music ( even tho maybe 1 song a day). Today (june 10) i get a message saying i used up 100%.

I will be charged 2 dollars per gigabyte. How is this possible?  How can 3 computers that do not download anything, at most use internet explorer to check emails, and 5-6 gigabytes of demos reach 60gb? Makes NO sense to me... and i asked about online gaming on this forum, and you guys said it uses up 25 mb per hour, which is NOTHING compared to what we apperently used (60gb), according to rogers.

Anyone else expeirence this? I might consider telling my parents to switch isp,s if this isnt sorted out

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by matty on 06-10-2008 at 08:45 PM

Do you have a wireless router that isn't protected as far as the wireless goes? Someone could be using your connection to download torrents.

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by Steven on 06-10-2008 at 08:45 PM

I have wep.

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by matty on 06-10-2008 at 08:48 PM

WEP is like handing out the key to your front door and expecting no one to enter. Ever hear of Backtrack? It is a Linux distro that hacks WEP encrypted passwords. Use WPA2 or atleast WPA it is harder to crack then WEP is.

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by prashker on 06-10-2008 at 08:50 PM

Rogers' Data Usage Monitor is broken atm, so go leech all you want :cheesy:!

(I'm being serious)

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by foaly on 06-10-2008 at 08:50 PM

do a spyware scan while you are at it....

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by Steven on 06-10-2008 at 08:51 PM

WEP is not that easy to crack. It takes time ussally, you need a special prism type card, and i seriously doubt that in my wealthy neibourhood,
that anyone with the time nor intellegence nor reason, since they can afford there own internet would even attempt to do this. Also, there are 5 out of 12 networks beside me that are unsecured... Also, i am checking my router settings and it doesnt show any unidentified ip.

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by prashker on 06-10-2008 at 08:51 PM

There is no current usage for this account: <block>

:banana:

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by Steven on 06-10-2008 at 08:53 PM

Sam what do you mean by leech, are you saying that its an error from rogers that i have used 100%, if so how do you know, what if im still charged?

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by matty on 06-10-2008 at 08:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Steven
WEP is not that easy to crack. It takes time ussally, you need a special prism type card, and i seriously doubt that in my wealthy neibourhood,
that anyone with the time nor intellegence nor reason, since they can afford there own internet would even attempt to do this. Also, there are 5 out of 12 networks beside me that are unsecured... Also, i am checking my router settings and it doesnt show any unidentified ip.
As long as there is wireless traffic WEP can be cracked in minutes. Trust me it is pretty simple.
RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by Steven on 06-10-2008 at 08:56 PM

Once again, why the effort when there are same signal strength unsecured networks?

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by vaccination on 06-10-2008 at 09:17 PM

You sure the message is from Rogers? Seems pretty weird that you're getting popups about your account usage from your web browser...

(that is, unless you have a app of some kind from Rogers installed on pc)

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by Steven on 06-10-2008 at 09:19 PM

its like this [Image: rogers-google.jpg]

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by vaccination on 06-10-2008 at 09:34 PM

quote:
Rogers is seriously imposing their "60" gb  monthly bandwidth limit
---
alerting the user that we have passed 75% bandwidth limit of 60gb
[Image: wtfsteventz7.png]

quote:

I will be charged 2 dollars per gigabyte. How is this possible?
[Image: bullshitterpv8.png]
RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by Eljay on 06-10-2008 at 09:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
---

quote:

That image is one of the first results when searching for "rogers bandwidth limit" on Google Images :P
RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by vaccination on 06-10-2008 at 09:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
---

quote:

That image is one of the first results when searching for "rogers bandwidth limit" on Google Images :P
not my fault, he should use his own images ;[
RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by Menthix on 06-10-2008 at 09:48 PM

quote:
why the effort when there are same signal strength unsecured networks?
Maybe because they already leeched all the unsecured networks to their limit? Who knows.

You could just secure your network and not take the risk. At least use WPA / MAC filter / disable SSID. It doesn't take more than a few minutes to set that up.

Without securing that network you can't say for sure people leeching on your wireless isn't the cause of the traffic spike.
RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by albert on 06-10-2008 at 09:49 PM

the best way to verify all the upload download is to isntall a software that will count everything on each of the pcs. then you can be about sure that everything's fine.

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by Menthix on 06-10-2008 at 09:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by albert
isntall a software that will count everything on each of the pcs. then you can be about sure that everything's fine.
Not when others are leeching of his wireless.

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by Spunky on 06-10-2008 at 09:56 PM

My server config page tells me traffic passing since it last reset, but I don't have limits anyway :p

And from personal experience, WEP can be cracked in minutes. WPA takes a lot longer, but can be done

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by kao on 06-10-2008 at 10:01 PM

Stop bitching and just secure the damn network. You deserve it if you can't be bothered to spend 30 seconds and just login to the router and tick WPA/WPA2.

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by Mike on 06-10-2008 at 10:01 PM

quote:
It only took me 5 minutes to crack a WEP hotspot using my computer's onboard WiFi card.
RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by andrewdodd13 on 06-10-2008 at 10:05 PM

Did you ever consider that 4th June isn't actually the start of your billing month? They could be offset, I know mines is.

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by Steven on 06-10-2008 at 10:18 PM

So then wahts the point of MONTHLY GIGABYTE BANDWIDTH, and again, i said "its like this" beside the picture.

I obviously dont have it anymore because i chose awknoldge. Nobody is in my network. I checked my router. It shows 4 computer names and ips, from the last 30 days. After verifiying, i can safely say all the ips that were included and computer names are those of the computers in my house hold.  Thank you for taking the time to circle my google images picture and point out its flaws.

Once again, why cant it be rogers fault? Its not the first time rogers has lied to its customers.......

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by andrewdodd13 on 06-10-2008 at 10:21 PM

Because it counts per month, from the day your account was activated.

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by kao on 06-10-2008 at 10:21 PM

Phone them?!

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by Steven on 06-10-2008 at 10:21 PM

And they said they will start charging in june if you go over. i got the mssage in april but didnt care because they wont be charging..

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by prashker on 06-10-2008 at 10:22 PM

quote:
Sam what do you mean by leech, are you saying that its an error from rogers that i have used 100%, if so how do you know, what if im still charged?

Leech as in Download, Upload, whatever you want.

If you get charged say the websites Usage Monitor was not working :p.

You shouldn't get charged, also, opt-out of that message, it's lame :(
RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by Steven on 06-10-2008 at 10:32 PM

How would i opt out?

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by prashker on 06-10-2008 at 10:36 PM

quote:
How would i opt out?

[Image: rogers-google.jpg]

"Click here if you don't want to recieve this message in the future"
RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by Steven on 06-10-2008 at 10:40 PM

Tried that in aprill, and i still got it. Plus, i should do this things because i need to be notified next time i reach over 75%.

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by tony on 06-11-2008 at 01:30 AM

Switch to cogeco :p

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by MeEtc on 06-11-2008 at 01:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tony
Switch to cogeco EastLink :p

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by tony on 06-11-2008 at 01:32 AM

Sympatico then :(

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by roflmao456 on 06-11-2008 at 01:36 AM

quote:
Sympatico then :(
(N)
RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by MeEtc on 06-11-2008 at 01:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
quote:
Switch to cogeco EastLink :p

quote:
Originally posted by http://eastlink.ca/internet/highspeed/index.asp

High Speed Extreme 15 - Incredibly Fast Internet

* Up to 15 Mbps download modem speeds
    * Up to 1 Mbps upload speeds
Best of all, no caps or throttling. but sadly for most of you, its only available in NS and PEI
RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by prashker on 06-11-2008 at 02:24 AM

quote:
Tried that in aprill, and i still got it. Plus, i should do this things because i need to be notified next time i reach over 75%.

That's what the usage monitor is for :p
RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by kotjze on 06-11-2008 at 03:08 AM

aliant doesn't have limits :D but it's only in atlantic canada :P:P

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by absorbation on 06-12-2008 at 05:39 PM

Do you do a lot of online gaming? I know my computer is constantly using bandwidth just being connected to the Internet, I mean Messenger requires it. All of this quickly adds up :P.

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by joey on 06-12-2008 at 05:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:

That's what the usage monitor is for :p

http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/broadband-download-monitor.html
RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by NiteMare on 06-12-2008 at 05:52 PM

go to rogers.com and create an account, then tie in your rogers accounts to that, then under the manage my account tab you'll be able to go to "view internet useage" that can give you a day by day layout, and remember, bandwitch includes not only downloads but uploads as well

RE: Rogers acting fishy (scam?) by Lou on 06-12-2008 at 11:47 PM

Seriously, don't ask here, we aren't Rogers support. Give them a call and see what's up. If it's an obvious problem like you said, they'll see it too and do something about it. A little bit of common sense goes a long way.