Shoutbox

Need to customize desktop icon appearance in WinXP - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Need to customize desktop icon appearance in WinXP (/showthread.php?tid=84293)

Need to customize desktop icon appearance in WinXP by alegator on 06-12-2008 at 04:12 PM

Whenever I choose a picture as wallpaper in my WinXP desktop the description has a fixed color background as shown in the screenshot below:
[Image: icondq5.jpg]

How can I get rid of the green background so that the icon letters lay directly on top of the wallpaper in a transparent fashion? Thanks

RE: Need to customize desktop icon appearance in WinXP by Thor on 06-12-2008 at 04:17 PM

Right-click My computer -> Properties -> Advanced (tab) -> Performance, settings -> Scroll down to "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" and make sure it is checked.

:-->

RE: Need to customize desktop icon appearance in WinXP by absorbation on 06-12-2008 at 04:41 PM

I've experienced this problem in the past. Sometimes a program will cause the effect, but to fix it I would either do what Nitro said or in some cases, restart my computer to fix the issue.

RE: Need to customize desktop icon appearance in WinXP by Jimbo on 06-12-2008 at 04:57 PM

Ive also had this problem sometimes on vista randomly, all i do is end explorer.exe and run it again and its fixed.

RE: Need to customize desktop icon appearance in WinXP by alegator on 06-12-2008 at 09:21 PM

Thanks everyone, that worked! See below, regards
[Image: 21dr2.jpg]

RE: Need to customize desktop icon appearance in WinXP by CookieRevised on 06-13-2008 at 03:09 AM

Actually, there are more causes than that. Search the forums and you'll find the 3 possible causes and solutions for each cause, as this questions has been asked several times already ;)

eg:
Dodgy White Square
Transparent Icons Help

The information comes from the vast Microsoft's Knowledge Base. When you have a problem in Windows, that should be the first thing you need to search in ;)

Anyways, there are 3 causes for the 'problem':

Cause 1:
You have "Active Desktop" enabled

Fix:
Disable "Active Desktop":
* Uncheck "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" in Control Panel > System Properties > Advanced > Performance > Settings

Note that Active Desktop can be enabled by other programs and/or situations or stuff you use

Cause 2:
You have enabled "Lock Web Items on Desktop" feature

Fix:
Disable "Lock Web Items on Desktop":
* Right click on your desktop and choose "Arrange Icons", there uncheck "Lock Web Items on Desktop"

Cause 3:
You're using a PNG with a transparancy channel as a background or an animated GIF file.

Fix:
Make sure the background image doesn't have any transparancy channel or isn't an animated GIF. Note that a PNG without any transparant pixels can still have a transparancy channel though and that a GIF file can appear static, but still contain an animation. Use decent graphic programs to check these things.

all the above goes for Windows XP. Similar things might be true for Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305117/

RE: Need to customize desktop icon appearance in WinXP by ipab on 06-13-2008 at 07:25 AM

holy crap this question comes up a LOT on these forums...

RE: RE: Need to customize desktop icon appearance in WinXP by alegator on 06-13-2008 at 01:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Actually, there are more causes than that. Search the forums and you'll find the 3 possible causes and solutions for each cause, as this questions has been asked several times already ;)

eg:
Dodgy White Square
Transparent Icons Help

The information comes from the vast Microsoft's Knowledge Base. When you have a problem in Windows, that should be the first thing you need to search in ;)

Anyways, there are 3 causes for the 'problem':

Cause 1:
You have "Active Desktop" enabled

Fix:
Disable "Active Desktop":
* Uncheck "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" in Control Panel > System Properties > Advanced > Performance > Settings

Note that Active Desktop can be enabled by other programs and/or situations or stuff you use

Cause 2:
You have enabled "Lock Web Items on Desktop" feature

Fix:
Disable "Lock Web Items on Desktop":
* Right click on your desktop and choose "Arrange Icons", there uncheck "Lock Web Items on Desktop"

Cause 3:
You're using a PNG with a transparancy channel as a background or an animated GIF file.

Fix:
Make sure the background image doesn't have any transparancy channel or isn't an animated GIF. Note that a PNG without any transparant pixels can still have a transparancy channel though and that a GIF file can appear static, but still contain an animation. Use decent graphic programs to check these things.

all the above goes for Windows XP. Similar things might be true for Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305117/

I thought my post was related to the way you can customize the Desktop Appearance and not with any sort of Windows problems/issues.
RE: Need to customize desktop icon appearance in WinXP by CookieRevised on 06-14-2008 at 09:53 AM

It is though... (hence why I put 'problem' in quotes)

I mean, it is indeed related to how you can customize the Desktop (it's not a problem/issue of Windows, it was designed to do that).

That is what Active Desktop stands for. When you customize how your desktop looks by adding dynamic content or something, the 'Active Desktop' is automatically activated and actually turns your static desktop window with background into an HTML page. Otherwise Windows wont be able to show you the content.

PS: the Knowledge Base isn't just for bug workarounds. In fact, 99% of the KBs consists of HowTo's, from very basic ones to very advanced ones. It is hard to search if you don't know the correct search terms though.

;)