Shoutbox

Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom (/showthread.php?tid=84308)

Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by gullom on 06-13-2008 at 04:32 PM

I had a script once that allowed you to block the ads at the bottom of the buddy list and at the bottom o fthe conversation windows.  Anyone know what this script it?

RE: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by Vilkku on 06-13-2008 at 04:34 PM

I don't know about any script that does it, but check out the link in my signature - it's a skin that does that and some other stuff for you (won't ofc work with other skins).

RE: RE: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by gullom on 06-13-2008 at 04:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
I don't know about any script that does it, but check out the link in my signature - it's a skin that does that and some other stuff for you (won't ofc work with other skins).

I'm confused about something with your script.  Is it possible to have the settings of your script available, or merged with Apple Live Messenger?
RE: RE: RE: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by Vilkku on 06-13-2008 at 05:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gullom
quote:

I'm confused about something with your script.  Is it possible to have the settings of your script available, or merged with Apple Live Messenger?
No, as both are skins you have to pick one.
RE: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by Basilis on 06-13-2008 at 05:13 PM

But there are other skins that hide the advertisements also. You have to find them though as it is illegal and so it is not mentioned in their description.

RE: RE: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by SimonHodgkiss on 06-14-2008 at 01:13 AM

quote:

Does your plus plugin work on MSN version 9 BETA ?

RE: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by CookieRevised on 06-14-2008 at 10:22 AM

SimonHodgkiss, gullom,

A script or plugin is a piece of programming code.

A skin is something which only changes the looks of Messenger. It just contains some new graphics which replace the original ones, etc (to put it simply).

So a script and a skin are not the same thing.

;)

RE: RE: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by SimonHodgkiss on 06-14-2008 at 10:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
SimonHodgkiss, gullom,

A script or plugin is a piece of programming code.

A skin is something which only changes the looks of Messenger. It just contains some new graphics which replace the original ones, etc (to put it simply).

So a script and a skin are not the same thing.

;)

Thanks I understand, However that Plus Patch Skin that person made doesn't seem to work on MSN 9 BETA tho ?

Anyone know if it works ?
RE: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by Basilis on 06-14-2008 at 11:25 AM

Then it is not compatible with it. Does it appear with gray letters in your list of skins in the Preferences panel?

RE: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by SimonHodgkiss on 06-14-2008 at 01:54 PM

It doesn't make any changes to anything that I am aware of. It looks the same as before :s

RE: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by joey on 06-14-2008 at 01:58 PM

did you select it to use that skin too in the preferences, or just download it and think it'll set it automatically?

RE: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by SimonHodgkiss on 06-14-2008 at 02:00 PM

I've checked and its selected as the Active Skin. I'm guessing its due to my version of MSN. Not to worry, I'll have to cope with the stupid adverts :(.

RE: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by Basilis on 06-14-2008 at 02:06 PM

You didn't answer to me. Does it appear with gray letters in the list of skins in the Preferences window?If it does, then it means that it is not compatible with your Windows Live Messenger version. If not, then the problem is somewhere else.

RE: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by SimonHodgkiss on 06-14-2008 at 02:11 PM

Where abouts do you mean? What should have gray letters?

RE: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by Basilis on 06-14-2008 at 02:18 PM

The name of the skin in the list of skins in the Preferences panel should have gray letters if it was not compatible with your Windows Live Messenger version.

RE: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by SimonHodgkiss on 06-14-2008 at 02:23 PM

Ahhh now I understand you, yeah its a light gray.
It wasn't showing before because every time I went to the Preferences panel it was default selected and had the blue bar around it so I couldn't see the gray.
Now I clicked off it and it shows it as gray.

Thanks

RE: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by Vilkku on 06-14-2008 at 03:46 PM

A bit late, but yeah, I haven't made it compatible with WLM 9.0 yet.

RE: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by SimonHodgkiss on 06-14-2008 at 04:37 PM

Sorry lol, are you going to make it compatible for 9.0 ?

RE: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by rob12345 on 07-08-2008 at 06:52 PM

Download MessengerDiscovery!

RE: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by Dave on 04-20-2009 at 10:48 PM

time to resurrect this script...

MessengerDiscovery did indeed effectively get rid of the adverts, and gave you another inch of contact list instead - very useful.  However, I'm yet to get Discovery to work with WLM version 14, and it's also a rather complex program just to use as an ad-blocker.  Has anyone got it working on WLM 14 or put it into a stand alone script?

RE: Blocking the Advertisements at the bottom by Vilkku on 04-20-2009 at 11:05 PM

Plus!Patch is now maintained by mynetx and can be found on his space. I use it myself, and the features that are currently in it work well, but don't expect it to have all the features that the version for the old WLM had. (ad blocking works, as does the removal of some other buttons - if you want more features, check out Avalon Concept in the script database which has a .reg file in the directory once you install it that will remove the ads)