Shoutbox

What could be wrong? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: What could be wrong? (/showthread.php?tid=84321)

What could be wrong? by lrac522 on 06-14-2008 at 02:15 AM

I realized lately that whenever I tried opening or just click on a movie file without even opening it I would get this error message, do you think it's time to do a full system recovery or is there a solution otherwise to this problem? Hi all... :wave:
[Image: errorjj9.th.jpg]

RE: What could be wrong? by ipab on 06-14-2008 at 05:33 AM

Do you have an HP machine?

RE: RE: What could be wrong? by lrac522 on 06-15-2008 at 04:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
Do you have an HP machine?
Yes i do... an HP Pavilion tx 1000 [Image: hpsy5.th.jpg]
RE: What could be wrong? by rav0 on 06-21-2008 at 05:37 AM

Uninstall any extensions you might have. FFDShow, Haali, Mediainfo are things that can play up (they can also work fine as well, they aren't evil, but might be the problem).

RE: What could be wrong? by lrac522 on 06-21-2008 at 03:41 PM

Don't have the slightest clue what those extensions are but I will check it out. Thanks a lot...

RE: What could be wrong? by ipab on 06-21-2008 at 04:09 PM

My suggestion is:

http://www.cccp-project.net/

Go there and download that and install it. Once the install is done, this options panel will come up. When this does, choose the option of registering filters or something along those lines.

Essentially it's an issue with thumbnail creation for videos on your computer.

RE: What could be wrong? by lrac522 on 06-21-2008 at 05:05 PM

I downloaded the file and when I started the installation I got what is shown below, should I just go Next or do I have to uncheck a few? Thanks.

[Image: codecpackqx5.th.jpg]

RE: What could be wrong? by mattisdada on 06-21-2008 at 11:22 PM

Leave all boxes ticked.

Just a pointer, if you hold down ALT while doing a screenshot, it will just do the screenshot of the active window :) Much quicker and neater then the snipping tool.

RE: What could be wrong? by rav0 on 06-22-2008 at 05:35 AM

The error box you see is related to an explorer extension on your computer. (An extension that isn't very well crafted since it causes an error and since it doesn't identify itself.)

The proper function of this extension is probably to display tooltips for files, create thumbnail previews and/or add extra context menu options. When you browse a folder with movie files, one of the first two are probably attempted. The extension fails, and Windows shows you the error message.

I wouldn't install CCCP if you are not going to be using it. Especially if you aren't sure of what everything it contains is for and how it works, it can cause strange problems that are hard to find (like what is happening to your computer now).

RE: RE: What could be wrong? by lrac522 on 06-24-2008 at 06:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
My suggestion is:

http://www.cccp-project.net/

Go there and download that and install it. Once the install is done, this options panel will come up. When this does, choose the option of registering filters or something along those lines.

Essentially it's an issue with thumbnail creation for videos on your computer.
I did that and everything seems to be quite ok. Cheers.