Shoutbox

Petrol Prices when will it stop - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Petrol Prices when will it stop (/showthread.php?tid=84323)

Petrol Prices when will it stop by in2town on 06-14-2008 at 03:37 AM

The petrol situation is getting out of control, so when will it stop and when will gordon brown say lets sort this out instead of blaming it on everyone else. When is he going to slash the tax on petrol. This petrol crises is affecting the householder as well as jobs with more and more companies having to make people redundant.

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Voldemort on 06-14-2008 at 03:52 AM

Haha. Still cheap as always here :D:D:D

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by tony on 06-14-2008 at 04:31 AM

You dont even have to pay for your fuel.. in fact you dont even drive voldies :lol:

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by High Speed Chaser on 06-14-2008 at 04:44 AM

It will stop once cars stop using petrol.

Taxes might get slashed but prices will still rise.

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Voldemort on 06-14-2008 at 05:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tony
You dont even have to pay for your fuel.. in fact you dont even drive voldies :lol:
You're right...... I don't pay for my fuel..... I do have a car though =D
RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Rolando on 06-14-2008 at 05:58 AM

You can fill your tank with less than a dollar in Venezuela. Too bad I only vacation here, and live in Florida, where the price is $4.00 per gallon :dodgy:

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by toddy on 06-14-2008 at 08:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Rolando
You can fill your tank with less than a dollar in Venezuela. Too bad I only vacation here, and live in Florida, where the price is $4.00 per gallon :dodgy:
thats nothing, its like $12/13 a gallon here
RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Chrono on 06-14-2008 at 08:50 AM

quote:
Too bad I only vacation
im sure you're happy you dont live there :P
RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by John Anderton on 06-14-2008 at 09:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by in2town
Petrol Prices when will it stop
When people stop using it and move to renewable fuels. Else, it will keep sky rocketting :)

Its 59 inr for a litre here in India atm. It shot up by Rs. 5 in one go a week back. Usually in goes up by a max of a Rupee.. :(
That's 6.26 usd for an imperial gallon and 5.21 usd for a (non imperial/normal/whatever) gallon :P
Costly much? :(
RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by SimonHodgkiss on 06-14-2008 at 10:41 AM

I'm glad I don't drive yet :) I wouldn't like to pay all that money for Petrol.

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by ryxdp on 06-14-2008 at 10:42 AM

Bah.

Hydrogen/Electric cars plz :P

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by absorbation on 06-14-2008 at 11:03 AM

What country are you from? In the US people went mad when it went up to 40 cent per litre. Here is is around £1.10 a litre and that's about $2.20.

You can't lower duty when the economy is suffering, the government will just make the tax back in another way.

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by toddy on 06-14-2008 at 11:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Here is is around £1.10
you obviously have some cheap stations round you. here its £1.20 and 135/40 for diesel

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
You can't lower duty when the economy is suffering
and yes they can. there was a report in the times the other day, since the high price of oil is making more vat then normal/predicted, and with petrol been so dear atm, this again is getting more vat for the government (and yes it is a piss take the it gets taxed twice). they could afford to knock off 12.5p a litre, for the rest of the year. and still meet there target for taxes
RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by DejaVoo on 06-14-2008 at 11:35 AM

In Sydney petrol has reached an average of about $1.60 per litre, they are predicating $2 per litre by the end of the year…

I used to be able to fill my little 4 cylinder Honda Civic with $30 about a year ago now $50 doesn’t fill the tank…

@ absortion: 1.10 pounds per litre, wow that’s expensive, although I think the average wage in England is a lot higher than here, still though that’s harsh…

BTW, where the hell is the little pound symbol on my keyboard :P

:)

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Nathan on 06-14-2008 at 11:49 AM

Abs, you do live round some cheap petrol stations, round here its £1.20/30 for petrol and £1.40/50 for diesel, and there's a strike atm for diesel, no diesel anywhere :O

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Volv on 06-14-2008 at 12:08 PM

Let's invest in a MsgPlus Oil Refinery to provide cheap petrol for MsgPlus users!

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by joey on 06-14-2008 at 12:29 PM

its £129.9 at a garage near me. i heard its going up an average of 0.5p a day =/

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Nathan on 06-14-2008 at 12:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by icd*
its £129.9 at a garage near me. i heard its going up an average of 0.5p a day =/
Is it gold petrol?

*sarcasm*
RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by joey on 06-14-2008 at 12:35 PM

ugh. i mean 129.9p or £1.29

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Jhrono on 06-14-2008 at 01:11 PM

quote:

You can fill your tank with less than a dollar in Venezuela.
And live in a horrible country? Oh yeah, that's awesome.
RE: RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by High Speed Chaser on 06-14-2008 at 01:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DejaVoo
In Sydney petrol has reached an average of about $1.60 per litre, they are predicating $2 per litre by the end of the year…

I used to be able to fill my little 4 cylinder Honda Civic with $30 about a year ago now $50 doesn’t fill the tank…

@ absortion: 1.10 pounds per litre, wow that’s expensive, although I think the average wage in England is a lot higher than here, still though that’s harsh…

BTW, where the hell is the little pound symbol on my keyboard :P

:)

Yeah but also don't forget the 5c p/litre that the companies add too make more money
RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by joey on 06-14-2008 at 01:44 PM

the bit that annoys me is the fact that (in the UK) they charge VAT ontop of the tax on fuel. wtf.

on a side note, anyone else noticed that the guy who made this thread is advertising in his signature? :P

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Volv on 06-14-2008 at 01:48 PM

quote:
the bit that annoys me is the fact that (in the UK) they charge VAT ontop of the tax on fuel. wtf.
Obviously the government takes that into account when setting the tax on fuel in the first place.
RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by SimonHodgkiss on 06-14-2008 at 01:48 PM

The UK VAT rules are really annoying.
Why is our VAT so high compared to others.
Grrr

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by SikStyles on 06-14-2008 at 03:01 PM

quote:

Shit. $4.00 already? Used to be like $3 when I was there.
RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Stigmata on 06-14-2008 at 04:32 PM

I paid 117.9 this morning for a litre

Funny to think only a year ago I was paying 99p a litre.

And there was me thinking we went to war for oil...

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Rolando on 06-14-2008 at 04:58 PM

It's not a horrible country, it's just a horrible president. I love Venezuela.. and I'll probably come back to live here in the future.

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Voldemort on 06-14-2008 at 05:40 PM

quote:
It's not a horrible country, it's just a horrible president. I love Venezuela.. and I'll probably come back to live here in the future.
I've heard that people are happy because their incomes are getting larger.... haha.
RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Nagamasa on 06-14-2008 at 06:48 PM

I think it's $1.34/L CAD right now...I remember one year in the summer...prices went up $.10 a day for a week... :S

Hurry up and buy your hybrids. :P

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by MeEtc on 06-14-2008 at 07:48 PM

$1.45 CAD / L at the moment here

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Voldemort on 06-14-2008 at 07:49 PM

7.45 (Mexican pesos / liter) = 2.72379608 U.S. dollars / US gallon

RE: RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by ZrednaZ on 06-14-2008 at 07:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SimonHodgkiss
Grrr
It's no better here, so the only motor vehicle I own is a scooter. ;)
But hey, maybe we should learn to appreciate high gas prices. It decreases traffic congestion and hopefully forces people who don't really need to drive every day to use public transportation, pleasing Al Gore and polar bears. :)
RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Lou on 06-14-2008 at 08:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ
quote:
Originally posted by SimonHodgkiss
Grrr
It's no better here, so the only motor vehicle I own is a scooter. ;)
But hey, maybe we should learn to appreciate high gas prices. It decreases traffic congestion and hopefully forces people who don't really need to drive every day to use public transportation, pleasing Al Gore and polar bears. :)
That's not working at all in Canada, it seems to only be getting worse.
quote:
Originally posted by in2town
gordon brown
Who?
RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Voldemort on 06-14-2008 at 08:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
    quote:Originally posted by in2town
    gordon brown

Who?
UK's prime minister
RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by joey on 06-14-2008 at 10:46 PM

he suckcs btwtt. a very pooror PM n my opinion.

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Vazza on 06-14-2008 at 11:44 PM

Well, in the garage that I work at our prices are 1.18 GBP for unleaded and 1.32 GBP for diesel...and so far one station near us has nothing left and other one's are rationing already. The abuse that I've taken so far because of it, and it's not for the want of my boss trying to keep the prices down (the air goes blue when's arranging a delivery). And the problem is that as well as hitting motorists, it's hitting the independent retailers too (I believe my boss only make 2p a litre sold maybe less now). Oh bring back the days when petrol was 73p a litre (yes I believe it was around that in 2004)

And to be honest, Gordon Brown's been left cleaning up Tony Blair's mess and he's trying his best but everyone just wants to knock him back.....so he's scottish and so am I and I'm defending him....sue me

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by andrewdodd13 on 06-15-2008 at 12:58 PM

I paid £1.149 for petrol last night, was quite chuffed.

I believe the petrol tax on petrol is 54.9p atm, and you pay VAT at 17.5% on the actual petrol itself.

On the other hand, we are only looking at at 30% increase over the past two years because of it. I believe in parts of the states it's gone up 50%-100%.

Of course, the prices of a barrel of oil is skyrocketing at the moment. I remember around this time last year people were making fun of a trader on the stock market for buying a it at $100/barrel. It's approaching $140/barrel now.

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Vazza on 06-15-2008 at 01:08 PM

Our's was 1.14 GBP until yesterday until it went up. But I have it on good authority that at least in scotland, by the middle of the summer we'll be at 1.50 GBP a litre and by winter 2.00 GBP

As for the strikes that are happening at the moment, well, I think people are definitely filling up more than usual, but no panic buying as such (I associate panic buying with queues and rationing) not that I need to worry. Nurse etc get first call on the petrol at my station :p

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by toddy on 06-15-2008 at 05:55 PM

just a side note on the topic.

most people complain about the price of petrol (myself included) but its actually really cheap tbh. think of how much work goes into getting the oil in the first place (first finding it, then building rigs to extract it, can't be cheap, especially when doing it at sea), then converting it into petrol, then delivering it to stations, and so on.
and its £1.30 or so a litre. thats cheaper then a pint of beer from a pub, which has F all costs compared to petrol. its nearly cheaper then a litre of milk from a supermarket, and how much cost can there be in keeping a cow.

granted its a bitch, since only a few years ago it was like 80p a litre. but at the end of the day, its still relativity cheap

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by joey on 06-15-2008 at 07:44 PM

and yet the oil companies are reporting record profits.....

Edit: just saw this today =p
[Image: DASH_211.jpg]

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Vilkku on 06-15-2008 at 08:20 PM

Just calculated that the price is 8,88 dollars per gallon here (approx 1,53e per liter). When I fuel my car I usually pay around 70e.

RE: RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Volv on 06-16-2008 at 01:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
just a side note on the topic.

most people complain about the price of petrol (myself included) but its actually really cheap tbh. think of how much work goes into getting the oil in the first place (first finding it, then building rigs to extract it, can't be cheap, especially when doing it at sea), then converting it into petrol, then delivering it to stations, and so on.
and its £1.30 or so a litre. thats cheaper then a pint of beer from a pub, which has F all costs compared to petrol. its nearly cheaper then a litre of milk from a supermarket, and how much cost can there be in keeping a cow.

granted its a bitch, since only a few years ago it was like 80p a litre. but at the end of the day, its still relativity cheap
It's not like they build a rig to extract 1 barrel...
RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Chris4 on 06-16-2008 at 01:44 AM

quote:

Hahaha :P

If there was one near me I'd do that to it :P
RE: RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Vazza on 06-16-2008 at 06:49 AM

quote:

LOL. You'd think they'd get that sorted at a time like this....oh wait, they can't, cause the wee man that would come to do it can't cause he cannae get any petrol cause his local shell has none and the other stations are running on empty.....
RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by joey on 06-16-2008 at 05:12 PM

from what ive seen in the news/papers etc. its only affecting like 700 at the most stations out of around 800? someone correct me if im wrong with that, my memory is shite, but its not that bad....yet. ill be damned if it goes back down below $100 a barrel.

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by absorbation on 06-16-2008 at 05:24 PM

Most stations have petrol, it's just effecting certain regions more than others. People panic buy and create a problem where there is none.

RE: Petrol Prices when will it stop by Vazza on 06-16-2008 at 07:04 PM

What you'll probably find is that it's the area's furthest away from depot that are struggling (and maybe rural areas). City wise....when one is shut, you simply head to the next one and so on and so forth