Shoutbox

Hacking - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Hacking (/showthread.php?tid=84432)

Hacking by Nagamasa on 06-21-2008 at 03:41 AM

For example,

There is this portion of a game that you cannot beat, and you ask a friend [that is a lot better] to complete it for you.

Would you consider this as hacking (or a word similar to that), or just something completely entirely different?

RE: Hacking by Wally on 06-21-2008 at 03:50 AM

Well i would consider that cheating, if you say you completed that portion of the game when your friend did it for you.

RE: Hacking by High Speed Chaser on 06-21-2008 at 03:56 AM

My definition of hacking (in games) is editing any code with the purpose of making it easier to win or beat a level.

So I consider it cheating but not hacking if you get a friend to do it for you.

RE: Hacking by CookieRevised on 06-21-2008 at 07:08 AM

Same, I would call it cheating too.

Hacking is breaking into; editing or changing how something works. Cheating is using existing stuff which you're not supposed to be using (eg: a friend :p, codes) to do something. On the other hand: "I cheated in that game by hacking the power levels"...

Anyways, you didn't do it on your own, with the existing stuff, like it was designed for you to play, so yeah... you cheated/hacked/tricked/didn't played it fair....

RE: Hacking by Basilis on 06-21-2008 at 07:54 AM

I consider cheating only the use of codes. Asking a friend is common although you cannot feel the excitement of doing it on your own. I consider hacking as the change of code in a game to make things easier.

RE: Hacking by foaly on 06-21-2008 at 09:48 AM

I call it co-op... or teamwork...
nothing wrong about it...

RE: Hacking by Wally on 06-21-2008 at 09:52 AM

co-op or teamwork is when your doing something with someone else not when someone else is doing something for you.

RE: Hacking by foaly on 06-21-2008 at 09:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wally
co-op or teamwork is when your doing something with someone else not when someone else is doing something for you.
you are playing the game together... you play parts he plays parts...
it's like sbm3 with luigi playing the really hard levels...
RE: Hacking by andrewdodd13 on 06-21-2008 at 10:06 AM

I call it cheating, but then I like to finish my own games.

It's not cheating if they do it for you then you do it again copying what they done though. :)

RE: Hacking by vaccination on 06-21-2008 at 10:10 AM

If someone else does it, they've completed that level, not you. To me that means I've yet to complete the game. Personally I'm a person who wants to complete a game myself.(looking up guides if you get stuck I don't mind however, getting tips is different to having someone do it for you.)

And like everyone else, that's cheating not hacking. Hacking would be to inject your own code in the game which makes it easier for you to win. In a lot of games glitching is a big problem, where you exploit bugs in a games code to benefit you(this is pretty similar to hacking but not exactly the same).

RE: Hacking by absorbation on 06-21-2008 at 02:40 PM

It's a game, not an exam. Sometimes there is fun is working together, or taking it in turns to complete a level you, or a friend finds difficult. I don't see it as cheating, certainly not hacking.