Shoutbox

Virus help - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Virus help (/showthread.php?tid=84630)

Virus help by Jimbo on 07-02-2008 at 06:06 AM

Yesterday i accidently downloaded a lot of trojans, which ovbiously isnt good. Somehow ive now managed to shut them all down, but i need some software that will find them and get rid of them before i reboot. IVe tried doing a virus scan with mcafee, found nothing. Spybot S&D didnt find nothing either.
One of the viruses is called IEantivirus. And some of the processes i ended to stop the virus were called SyS and then followed by some numbers.

RE: Virus help by mattisdada on 07-02-2008 at 06:21 AM

I would recommend Bit Defender. There is a free edition.

But just use the trial full edition to get rid of these nasty ones.

RE: Virus help by Jimbo on 07-02-2008 at 06:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by segosa
"accidentally" indeed. no matter how much you want it to be, bustyteentakingituptheass.exe is not going to be what you expect.
:P fyi, i was downloading some cracked software:P and thanks mattisada, i think that worked, it found quite a few things :)
RE: Virus help by vaccination on 07-02-2008 at 07:36 AM

Shoulda rebooted into safemode and then scanned.

RE: Virus help by Hank on 07-02-2008 at 08:17 AM

i'd suggest Avast Home Free Antivirus.. it does realtime scanning, unlike some of them that don't

RE: Virus help by mattisdada on 07-02-2008 at 11:47 AM

Ummmm ICQ..... 99.99% do real time scanning, its rare for them NOT to.

But hopefully your computer is fully virus free now :). Bit Defender is defentily the best ive ever used (And as a small little hobby a while back, i was virused up a computer and was experimenting with AV's :).)

RE: Virus help by absorbation on 07-02-2008 at 12:15 PM

AVG Free is a fantastic anti-virus, I would highly recommend it :).

RE: Virus help by CookieRevised on 07-02-2008 at 06:29 PM

As suggested by vaccy already, but I really want to emphesize again on rebooting in safe mode.

It is of no use (not much) that you do virus scans, repairs etc, unless:
1) you have turned of System Restore
2) you have booted up in Safe Mode with an absolute minimal config.

A lot of trojans these days can easly trick various virus scanners (including the very well know and established virus scanners).

;)

I shouldn't suggest this but if you must download cracked stuff, then run the programs in a Virtual Machine or at least with Sandboxie....and always turn off your network connection before running them...

RE: Virus help by mattisdada on 07-03-2008 at 12:58 AM

Yes, safe mode is the best bet, but, to get rid of alot of modern day viruses, you have to TRY to get rid of as MANY as you can before rebooting. For example, there's this one particular virus that changes all these settings and disables everything, But you still have power until you reboot (It disables explorer.exe, taskmgr.exe and etc). Safemode doesnt help this particular one either:P.

RE: Virus help by ipab on 07-03-2008 at 03:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
It is of no use (not much) that you do virus scans, repairs etc, unless:
1) you have turned of System Restore
2) you have booted up in Safe Mode with an absolute minimal config.

Not necessarily cookie, I know for a fact that the anti virus I adore and swear by (Kaspersky) does in fact scan the system restore save location for infections and cleans/removes them from there also.

On a side note, sometimes booting into safe mode is not an option and sometimes, certain viruses, cripple the system and are smart enough to replace explorer with their own version, which calls the real explorer and also calls it's on set of infected dlls, then it really doesn't matter does it? (I have seen this happen fyi).

Although, in most scenarios, things are just more effective if scanned from safemode, as like you pointed out, it's essentially a bare bones mode intended for such a purpose as outlined above.
RE: Virus help by mattisdada on 07-03-2008 at 04:10 AM

Can you change the quote to say Cookie instead of Mattisdada? Thanks :)

Turning off system restore is a good idea, they can hide in there in an area where even the best AV's cant go, not all of it is locked off to externall software, just certain bits, viruses can hide in there.

The best plan is to do this
1. Scan for viruses and spyware BEFORE reseting.
2. Reset into Safe Mode and scan
3. Once viruses have been netrulised, wipe system restore.
4. If viruses cant be netrulised, try restoring (With system Restore).

Wipe system restore last as, not all viruses store themselves there as well, so its possible to recover from them via system restore as a last resort. But wipe System Restore to fully get rid of them if they are hiding away in there after youve netrulised them from your system.

Having a virturall machine is always handy, have it run a minmal version of XP(Just to save boot times in it, thats the annoying part of them :P), and stick all downloaded software that looks at least half suspicious, wheather or not its an attachment, dodgy download, shareware or WLM sent file.

And spyware can be just as leathal as Viruses, remember this, have a decent Spyware Scanner! I recommend Spyware Doctor (Bit of a system hog), and XoftSpy(If you want a really light quick, but still relitively powerfull AS)

RE: Virus help by CookieRevised on 07-03-2008 at 06:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
3. Once viruses have been netrulised, wipe system restore.
System Restore should be disabled before step 1....

quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
Wipe system restore last as, not all viruses store themselves there as well, so its possible to recover from them via system restore as a last resort. But wipe System Restore to fully get rid of them if they are hiding away in there after youve netrulised them from your system.
The point is that you do not know upfront what virus it is and if the virus fiddled with the system restore or not.

Not all virusses do indeed, but there are which do. Hence disabling system restore should be the first thing you need to do, before doing a scan, this is even recommended on various scanner's sites.